TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Timeless (S1E03) -- "Atomic City" -- 10/17/16

Old 10-17-16, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 470 Likes on 348 Posts
Timeless (S1E03) -- "Atomic City" -- 10/17/16

"TIMELESS"

(X) "ATOMIC CITY" ORIGINAL

10/17/2016 (10:01PM - 11:00PM) (Monday) : THE TRIO NAVIGATES RAT PACK-ERA VEGAS TO LOCATE GARCIA FLYNN. After landing in 1962 Las Vegas, Flynn (Goran Visnjic) has the team on the run with the era's most infamous mistress. During the restless, neon-lit night, Rufus (Malcolm Barrett) meets his old mentor Anthony Bruhl (guest star Matt Frewer), whose motives may be darker than anyone suspected. Meanwhile, Lucy's (Abigail Spencer) personal life is falling apart, Wyatt (Matt Lanter) attempts to change history for himself, and we discover Flynn intends to gamble with far more human life than we realized. Also starring Paterson Joseph, Sakina Jaffrey and Claudia Doumit. Guest starring Elena Satine, Irby Gascon, Scott Bailey, Marc Senior, Ronnie Scott and Peter Grasso TV-PG D, L, S, V
Old 10-18-16, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Timeless (S1E03) -- "Atomic City" -- 10/17/16

Loved the reference to Back to the Future Part II. I hate smoking, but let's face it: that club should have been filled with smoke given that it was 1962. I preferred the first 2 episodes, but this was still a fun ride.
Old 10-18-16, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Still enjoying this show, but this ep didn't feel like it moved the story forward much.

Enjoyed the 60's rat pack and jfk vibe tho.

I wonder why if the timeline changes she can't have a memory seizure and sort of blend the new facts with the old when they time jump back.
Old 10-18-16, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 126 Likes on 109 Posts

I probably liked this episode more than the first two. It had a nice Ratpack vibe and mostly stayed true to actual history.

I wonder how they handle the boyfriend storyline going forward. It's only a matter of time until Wyatt and Lucy develop some sort of romantic connection. They will first have to clear out his dead wife from the picture (there are a couple of neat ways you could remove her from his timeline in a poignant method) and address Lucy's situation.
Old 10-18-16, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Another good example of mixed up Las Vegas. This time they put the Sands downtown instead of on the strip.

And yes, it should have been smokier.

Still a fun episode though.
Old 10-18-16, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 470 Likes on 348 Posts

Fun episode. I liked throwing in the Rat pack in the backdrop. I wonder how much it cost them to get the music for this episode. Some good costumes. Abigail Spencer really looks good in period attire.

At least this time the trio didn't screw up the present.

No doubt they have to dump Lucy's fiancee at some point. Very much hinting at a romantic connection between she and Wyatt.
Old 10-19-16, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't see a name on IMDB for the woman who was JFK's mistress.

She was pretty much all out there when she was looking out the window at the bomb explosion.
Old 10-19-16, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
I don't see a name on IMDB for the woman who was JFK's mistress.

She was pretty much all out there when she was looking out the window at the bomb explosion.
Wasn't she featured in the last season of Revenge? I don't know her name.
Old 10-19-16, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

She's Russian actress Elena Satine. She had a featured role in "Revenge", and can be seen to greater advantage (if you know what I mean) in the series "Magic City" from a few years back. She's got a role coming up in the "Twin Peaks" revival.
Old 10-19-16, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well...more proof that the old golden three networks can't really compete with the rest of TV show providers. The quality, and depth, of writing and production just isn't there. The easy example of this is Mad Men compared to PanAm and The Playboy Club. I like time travel stories and there is a fun goofiness to the show, but great TV it's not. As a side note I think it has a very good chance of not making it to a second season.

I'm not a nit-picker, but Western Union wasn't using Selectric style ball typewriters in the early 1960s. I did think, for the show's budget, they did a nice job of recreating the golden age of Las Vegas.
Old 10-19-16, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson View Post
and can be seen to greater advantage (if you know what I mean) in the series "Magic City" from a few years back.
Thanks. She looked very familiar but couldn't place her. That's it. Really miss Magic City.
Old 10-19-16, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Another good episode. Glad they are starting to find their feet and ask questions about they why behind all of this.

Super sneaky - and smart - to bury the bomb part and come back for it. I wish I knew more about directing. I'm sure there is a term for showing something to foreshadow, but in a manner that doesn't give the plot away. The hole they dug was key, but I assumed it was to off the mistress and bury her. We didn't get her historical outcome until later. A lot of shows would pan over to an empty suitcase next to the hole.

Loved the Back to the Future II reference!!

Interesting Rufus said the other pilot was a loving father and husband, but at the dig site he said he gave up his wife and kids.
Old 10-19-16, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
Another good episode. Glad they are starting to find their feet and ask questions about they why behind all of this.

Super sneaky - and smart - to bury the bomb part and come back for it. I wish I knew more about directing. I'm sure there is a term for showing something to foreshadow, but in a manner that doesn't give the plot away. The hole they dug was key, but I assumed it was to off the mistress and bury her. We didn't get her historical outcome until later. A lot of shows would pan over to an empty suitcase next to the hole.

Loved the Back to the Future II reference!!

Interesting Rufus said the other pilot was a loving father and husband, but at the dig site he said he gave up his wife and kids.
Burying the bomb and extracting it years later seemed like another similarity to the BTTF series (the way Doc hid the time machine in 1885 and then sent Marty instructions about where to find it in 1955).
Old 10-19-16, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
I wish I knew more about directing. I'm sure there is a term for showing something to foreshadow, but in a manner that doesn't give the plot away.
There's no director word, it's simply a word of literature, and you used it, foreshadowing.
Old 10-26-16, 11:27 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Not totally feeling this show so far but it's not terrible

The soldier guy is supposed to be the best of the best special forces, he's a wimp ! and gets beaten up by women !
Old 10-28-16, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Original Desmond, you mean the Matt Lanter character...I actually like his character, they went in a different direction than I thought they would with his character, and there is chemistry between him and Abigail Spencer's character that works for me. Enjoying this show a bit more than I thought I would as I thought it would veer towards a background viewing show, but instead I stop what I am doing on my tablet to pay attention to what I am watching.