Timeless (S1E02) -- "The Assassination of Abraham Lincoln" -- 10/10/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-10-16, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

"TIMELESS"

(X) "THE ASSASSINATION OF ABRAHAM LINCOLN" ORIGINAL

10/10/2016 (10:01PM - 11:00PM) (Monday) : THE TEAM CAN SAVE THE LIFE OF ONE OF HISTORY'S GREATEST MEN. Lucy (Abigail Spencer), Wyatt (Matt Lanter), and Rufus (Malcolm Barrett) chase terrorist Garcia Flynn (Goran Visnjic) to the night of Lincoln's assassination, where they're horrified to learn that Flynn's linked up with history's most notorious assassin, John Wilkes Booth (guest star Kelly Blatz). Putting aside a tragedy of her own, Lucy speculates that Flynn intends to send the fragile nation into chaos by making a bad thing worse, and a debate rages among the team: should they alter history if it means changing it for the better? Also starring Paterson Joseph, Sakina Jaffrey and Claudia Doumit. Guest starring Neal Bledsoe, Michael Krebs, Terry Lewis and Lucia Frangione. TV-PG L, V
Old 10-11-16, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Timeless (S1E02) -- "The Assassination of Abraham Lincoln" -- 10/10/16

So looks like the point of this episode was to stop a double assassination of Lincoln and General Grant.

Not really sure what Garcia Flynn's end game is supposed other than making little changes to these big moments in history.

Go figure that Rufus identifies himself to that soldier as Denzel Washington.

The way they explained how Lucy's family history changed did make sense. If I'm understanding things correctly she was apparently conceived with another man and her now gone sister was only a half sister right?
Old 10-11-16, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Only two episodes in, this show feels like an historical + time travel version of Stargate SG-1/Atlantis without machine guns.
Old 10-11-16, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Do you think at some point Flynn will say he's trying to put history back on course (as if history as the audience knows it was altered long before the show went on the air)?
Old 10-11-16, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
So looks like the point of this episode was to stop a double assassination of Lincoln and General Grant.

Not really sure what Garcia Flynn's end game is supposed other than making little changes to these big moments in history.

Go figure that Rufus identifies himself to that soldier as Denzel Washington.

The way they explained how Lucy's family history changed did make sense. If I'm understanding things correctly she was apparently conceived with another man and her now gone sister was only a half sister right?
You do know that Grant went on to become the president, right? So killing him along with Lincoln would have had some serious repercussions.
Old 10-11-16, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by MScottM View Post
You do know that Grant went on to become the president, right? So killing him along with Lincoln would have had some serious repercussions.
Yes I know Ulysses S. Grant was President.

I'm just curious what Garcia Flynn is ultimately trying to do in the long run by making these changes in history. Obviously that won't be addressed for awhile. The Hindenberg change has already screwed up Lucy's family tree. And while the Lincoln assassination went through, they now have a mystery teacher sitting in the balcony and mystery shooter being written into that part of history.
Old 10-11-16, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Solid 2nd ep.

Lets see how convoluted they make this thing
Old 10-11-16, 08:24 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

so every episode they will go back in time and completely fuck shit up?
Old 10-11-16, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
so every episode they will go back in time and completely fuck shit up?
I was just about to type my fear (because there was a lot to like in this episode--a solid 85pt.) that we're going to enter a wash, rinse, repeat, cycle. Go back, can't complete the assignment, come to to present time and something has fucked the shit up. I was surprised, that she, or someone, didn't tell to go read some Poul Anderson about time travel. You just can't change things without a guarantee of screwing something up in the future.

That said, even though it's a lowly NBC show there were more than a few clever bits including whatshisname meeting someone intimately familiar with slavery.

I've got a great idea for a show: after they mess history up so bad you could have a show in which the Axis won WWII!

Last edited by Astrofan; 10-11-16 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-11-16, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This remnds me a little of 11/22/63 except instead of only going back once they keep going back in time try to fix a whole bunch of different things.
Old 10-12-16, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Second episode was better than the pilot, so I'm really enjoying this show.

Though I wish the writers had the guts to save Lincoln and rewrite history.

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe View Post
Do you think at some point Flynn will say he's trying to put history back on course (as if history as the audience knows it was altered long before the show went on the air)?
Ooh, I like this theory. As in our real lives that we are experiencing in this exact moment is the alternate timeline. And Flynn is trying to put it back to the original timeline. mindblown!

Last edited by MLBFan24; 10-12-16 at 12:41 AM.
Old 10-12-16, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 View Post
Second episode was better than the pilot, so I'm really enjoying this show.

Though I wish the writers had the guts to save Lincoln and rewrite history.

Ooh, I like this theory. As in our real lives that we are experiencing in this exact moment is the alternate timeline. And Flynn is trying to put it back to the original timeline. mindblown!
Flynn as much as said so. This evil Rittenhouse(?), not a person, maybe a corporation, screwed things up and he's working against them. Flynn told the historian that once she learns what's really going on she will work with and help him.
I'm figuring Flynn is from the future trying to set right what's been changed. He has the journal, which hasn't been written. The recordings the pilot is being forced to make are probably used by this Rittenhouse in the future to change the past in their favor.
Old 10-12-16, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
Flynn as much as said so. This evil Rittenhouse(?), not a person, maybe a corporation...
Old 10-12-16, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another solid episode.

I definitely think Flynn isn't the bad guy here. I also think he's trying to right wrongs that have already happened. What I don't get is how these specific events, week after week, play into the big picture. But I'm pleased to see they've shown us several hints (such as the yet-unwritten journal) that show they have a bigger game plan for this show.

Let's just hope it lasts long enough to get us there!
Old 10-12-16, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe View Post
Yes, that's what me and others started posting last week. Other than the extreme methods he is taking, it's clear he is not the real villain in all this. Unclear how much the guy sending them on these missions is involved, but he obviously knows more than he is telling the two leads.
Old 10-12-16, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I liked the episode and am interested to find out the connection among the various events. It doesn't hurt that I like historical tidbits like the four-part assassination scheme, which I'd never heard about.
Old 10-12-16, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A decent, if uninspired, second episode.

They keep giving a lot of attention to that staff worker at the time travel agency for a supporting character. I wonder if she has a bigger role in the drama?
Old 10-12-16, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
They keep giving a lot of attention to that staff worker at the time travel agency for a supporting character. I wonder if she has a bigger role in the drama?
Obvee, they've only had two episodes so far, takes a little while to flesh out all characters.
Old 10-12-16, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JuryDuty View Post
Another solid episode.

I definitely think Flynn isn't the bad guy here. I also think he's trying to right wrongs that have already happened. What I don't get is how these specific events, week after week, play into the big picture. But I'm pleased to see they've shown us several hints (such as the yet-unwritten journal) that show they have a bigger game plan for this show.

Let's just hope it lasts long enough to get us there!
As to the journal. Flynn probably has to have it with him every time he travels so it doesn't get overwritten by time changes. At end of first episode he's looking in the journal about the 1969 moon landing, the "ONE SMALL STEP FOR MAN..." quote written in big block letters. A look on his face like this is news to him, never happened where he's from.
Also wondering if journal contains "trees" that trace the changes, like how they traced Amy never existing to Hindenburg. This way Flynn knows precisely what he has to change. He does seen to go for the scorched earth method.
All Lucy has to do to get her sister back is keep her dad from meeting the woman who was supposed to die, not make sure the Hindenburg blows up with her on it.

Observation: when going back to a famous event, why not take a copy of newspaper front page, have everybody in control room sign it, when they come back and events are different they have it as proof of the changes.
Old 10-12-16, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Observation: when going back to a famous event, why not take a copy of newspaper front page, have everybody in control room sign it, when they come back and events are different they have it as proof of the changes.
See BTTF. The printed page and photographs are not immune to changes.
Old 10-12-16, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
See BTTF. The printed page and photographs are not immune to changes.
But in the continuity of this TV show, they would be, as evidenced by her sister's photo surviving in her locket.
Old 10-12-16, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Add me to the camp who enjoyed the second episode more than the pilot. It had a lot more time to breath, and there were some really nice character moments. The conversations with the soldiers, the group's moral conversation, and Lucy's struggle to try and save Lincoln.

Even though we "know" history, I found the entire episode quite riviting. The suspense was palpable. You could see how wound up Lucy was, especially when the actor delivered the line and she knew Booth was supposed to come barreling through the door.

I do think this would have worked really well as a two hour pilot. There were more plot twists at the end of hour two with the family tree and surprise fiancé.
Old 10-12-16, 10:45 PM

Or even better, a hard drive (or drives) of records, data, history, etc. kept in the time machine and see what the differences are when compared after every trip to a duplicate kept in the lab.

Still, I'm enjoying the show and curious to see how some of the threads they set up will turn out. Also, like how they are willing to "fudge" history a bit since it adds a level of uncertainty to outcome.
Old 10-13-16, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Two episodes in and they already fucked a lot of shit up. I'm surprised there aren't any changes in the lab when they come back.
Old 10-13-16, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post

I do think this would have worked really well as a two hour pilot. There were more plot twists at the end of hour two with the family tree and surprise fiancé.
I wondered if that was the original intent. The second episode started exactly where the first one left off.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.