DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Frequency (S1E01) -- Series Premiere -- "Pilot" -- 10/5/16

Frequency
screen shots

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 5

SERIES PREMIERE

FREQUENCY

"Pilot" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, DLV) (HDTV)

"SUPERNATURAL'S" JEREMY CARVER BRINGS US A THRILLING NEW DRAMA SERIES STARRING PEYTON LIST ("MAD MEN"), RILEY SMITH ("NASHVILLE") AND MEKHI PHIFER ("ER") - Detective Raimy Sullivan (Peyton List) has always wanted to prove that she is nothing like her father. In 1996, when Raimy was 8 years old, NYPD Officer Frank Sullivan (Riley Smith) left Raimy and her mother, Julie (Devin Kelley), behind when he went deep undercover, got corrupted, and got himself killed. Or so the story has always gone. Few people knew about the secret undercover sting operation Frank was really charged with, led by Stan Moreno (Anthony Ruivivar), who has now risen to Deputy Chief of Police. Frank's former partner, Lieutenant Satch Reyna (Mekhi Phifer), is now Raimy's mentor and friend, and he has urged her to let go of the hurt and anger she still feels about Frank's disappearance and death, but the old pain still lingers. Raimy can barely bring herself to discuss Frank, even with her devoted boyfriend, Daniel (Daniel Bonjour), or her childhood friend, Gordo (Lenny Jacobson). Now, twenty years later, Raimy is stunned when a voice suddenly crackles through her father's old, long-broken ham radio - it's Frank, somehow transmitting over the airwaves and through the decades from 1996. They're both shocked and confused, but Raimy shakes Frank to the core when she warns him that the secret sting he is undertaking will lead to his death. Armed with that knowledge, Frank survives the attempt on his life. But changing history has dramatically affected Raimy's life in the present - and there have been tragic consequences. Separated by 20 years, father and daughter have reunited on a frequency only they can hear, but can they rewrite the story of their lives without risking everyone they love? Brad Anderson directed the episode written by Jeremy Carver (#101). Original airdate 10/5/2016.

This is based on the 2000 movie that starred Jim Caviezel and Dennis Quaid.

This show is from Jeremy Carver, the former EP and showrunner of Supernatural.

Yes, another time travel themed show.

I'm excited for this one. Love Peyton List and I liked the movie that it's based on.
Old 10-05-16, 09:24 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Frequency (S1E01) -- Series Premiere -- "Pilot" -- 10/5/16

Watched this live. Pretty good pilot. I'll admit I teared up a little, but then again, I did when I watched the 2000 movie it's based on. Curious how this will play out as a series, but looks promising.
Old 10-05-16, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Did she save her dad with the stupid, (paraphrasing) "you went left, but if you had gone right you would have been ok" line that they used in the movie? I like the movie, but that kinda always bugged me. As if anyone could have even known that.
Old 10-06-16, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

This was pretty damn good! Better than I was expecting.

Hard to see how this could go multiple seasons, though.
Old 10-06-16, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The plot has been very similar to the movie with a few major changes. Female lead, father is a cop in this and a firefighter in movie. Looking forward to seeing how they eventually progress beyond the movie.
Old 10-06-16, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never saw the movie but this was definitely the best Network pilot I've seen so far. Better than I was expecting as well. There's still room for improvement, but a strong start.

I would have liked a bit more explanation of the mechanics of the device, but that's not really the point, and can live with the premise.
Old 10-06-16, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Did she save her dad with the stupid, (paraphrasing) "you went left, but if you had gone right you would have been ok" line that they used in the movie? I like the movie, but that kinda always bugged me. As if anyone could have even known that.
No, totally different.

Originally Posted by MScottM
The plot has been very similar to the movie with a few major changes. Female lead, father is a cop in this and a firefighter in movie. Looking forward to seeing how they eventually progress beyond the movie.
I like the changes with the father. It makes more sense if he's going to go around following people. No one will question a cop.

It was a pretty good pilot and looks like their just expanding the same plot/story to fit the series.
Old 10-06-16, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I totally missed this! I thought it was airing on Fridays and for some reason couldn't find it on the TV listings. Airing earlier in the week would explain why couldn't find it. I've added the season pass but I'm gonna have to watch the pilot through on demand before next week
Old 10-06-16, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk God

I really liked this. Probably my favorite of the new dramas thus far.

Very similar to the movie, but I think they expanded a lot of the plot threads to make it work as a series IMO with the police corruption angle & mystery thriller. Good work by Carver writing this and making some changes to differentiate it from the movie.

Thought Peyton List was great as Raimy. She was really compelling. Riley Smith was also good as the 1996 version of her father.

The mother being dead was also a cool twist at the end & being the victim of a serial killer. I do think it's funny that they cast Devin Kelley to play List's Mom when she's actually the same age as her. They could actually pass off as sisters.

Devin Kelley

Peyton List

Last edited by DJariya; 10-06-16 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-07-16, 08:20 AM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

It's really random to me that there's actually two different actresses named Peyton List. It's not like the name is remotely common. The other one has mostly done Disney stuff:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2572554/
Old 10-07-16, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Yes, you'd think that SAG would have made one of them change their name or add a middle initial or something.
Old 10-07-16, 09:17 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I also Liked this one a lot.

Gonna be tough to keep all of these time traveling shows in sync.
Old 10-07-16, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
It's really random to me that there's actually two different actresses named Peyton List. It's not like the name is remotely common. The other one has mostly done Disney stuff:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2572554/
Nah, they're the same person...

I had the same confusion in whatever thread her name come up in last time too.
Old 10-07-16, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Nah, they're the same person...
My evaluation of their photographs says they're definitely not the same person.
Old 10-07-16, 04:14 PM

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

I am glad to hear the praise for this show...never saw the film, and barely remembered this was a show that the CW was going to air this tv season, but it was fantastic.

On the other hand, the ratings for this show were not, even by CW standards it put up bad numbers so hopefully word of mouth will lead to an increase (even a slight one) for next week's episode. When the numbers are this low for a CW show I do not automatically assume it will be on the air for at least one season, so here is to hoping things improve.
Old 10-07-16, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

So the movie was fun so gave this show a shot. Liked it enough to follow. Not sure how long it can last though. Seems like a short lived plot.
Old 10-08-16, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
So the movie was fun so gave this show a shot. Liked it enough to follow. Not sure how long it can last though. Seems like a short lived plot.
It could surprise us. However there are many concepts that would work fine as a mini series yet season after season pushes it too thin.
Old 10-08-16, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
I am glad to hear the praise for this show...never saw the film, and barely remembered this was a show that the CW was going to air this tv season, but it was fantastic.

On the other hand, the ratings for this show were not, even by CW standards it put up bad numbers so hopefully word of mouth will lead to an increase (even a slight one) for next week's episode. When the numbers are this low for a CW show I do not automatically assume it will be on the air for at least one season, so here is to hoping things improve.
Uhh cough, Beauty and the Beast would like to have a word with you.
Old 10-08-16, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I really enjoyed this. I haven't watched too many new pilots this season, but this is easily the best. I know a lot of us like he concept of Timeless, but weren't night on the pilot. If that had the same tone as this it would have been great.

This took time to establish the characters, and allowed ample time for them to have conversations that helped build them out while moving the plot forward. What's more, the end of the pilot took a good 10 minutes to let the repercussions of the timeline change to play out, and to see how Raimy reacted.

I think the twist was really interesting and we'll get to see how the two of them track down the killer in an attempt to save the mother. Plus I'm interested to see how Raimy deals with additional fallout as she discovers it. The fiancé being the biggest item so far. Does she try and get him back and convince him, or see if changes affect him? Seems like saving the mother may be the only thing to undo the fiancé problem since that's how Raimy met him.

Looking forward to more.
Old 10-08-16, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk God

For those curious about the long-term direction of the show, Jeremy Carver gives an answer:

"We have a three‑year plan, which branches us off into more years, if that's where we're going," Carver explained. "So I think one of the things about the pilot is you see a lot of different things introduced...a lot of different conflicts, a lot of different family conflicts, work conflicts beyond this central mystery. So, basically, the show is built to have pretty strong legs."

So each week will be Frank and Raimy helping each other to untangle these mysteries -- who set up Frank? who is the Nightingale killer? -- while also trying to get Raimy back to her original timeline, making the show a mix of police procedural, sci-fi and family drama. We still recommend you keep a notebook nearby to keep everything straight, though.
https://www.tvguide.com/news/frequen...-travel-rules/
Old 10-08-16, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

I like the movie so I was going to give the show a shot. I was very impressed with the pilot. The casting was stop on for the main characters. BTW the twist with the mom was taking directly from the film.
Old 10-09-16, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I've always liked the movie. This was a strong pilot with smooth writing and enjoyable characters. It hit all the right notes and was fairly emotional for a CW series. I wonder if there is an audience for this show on the CW.

Like others, I don't see an obvious path to multiple seasons of storytelling.

I wonder which pilot was made first, Frequency or Timeless? Both using the same twist ending is no coincidence.
Old 10-09-16, 02:18 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 918 Likes on 775 Posts

I'm pissed, I can't find the pilot on demand. It's listed, but when I go to play it it says "Nurse Jackie" from Showtime. Don't know what's up with that. I see a rebroadcast on CW, but not till after ep. 2 airs later next week. Too bad.
Old 10-09-16, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I'm pissed, I can't find the pilot on demand. It's listed, but when I go to play it it says "Nurse Jackie" from Showtime. Don't know what's up with that. I see a rebroadcast on CW, but not till after ep. 2 airs later next week. Too bad.
It's available on the CW app, which Roku has.
Old 10-09-16, 02:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Shout out to bayside queens! My wifes hometown!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.