Reload this Page >

Speechless (ABC) -- Series Thread -- S: Minnie Driver

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-21-16, 06:35 AM

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

SERIES PREMIERE

MEET THE DIMEOS, AN ORIGINAL FAMILY WITH A CHILD WHO HAS CEBERAL PALSY ON ABC'S 'SPEECHLESS'

"Pilot" - Maya DiMeo moves her family to a new, upscale school district when she finds the perfect situation for her eldest son, JJ, who has cerebral palsy. While JJ and daughter Dylan are thrilled with the move, middle son Ray is frustrated by the family's tendencies to constantly move, since he feels his needs are second to JJ Soon, Maya realizes it is not the right situation for JJ and attempts to uproot the family again. But JJ connects with Kenneth, the school's groundskeeper, and asks him to step in as a his caregiver, and Ray manages to convince Maya to give the school another chance, on the series premiere "Speechless" WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 21 (8:30-9:00 p.m. EDT), on the ABC Television Network.

"Speechless" stars Minnie Driver as Maya DiMeo, John Ross Bowie ("The Big Bang Theory") as Jimmy DiMeo, Mason Cook as Ray DiMeo, Micah Fowler as JJ DiMeo, Kyla Kenedy as Dylan DiMeo and Cedric Yarbrough as Kenneth.

Guest starring is Marin Kinkle as Dr. Miller, Paul Bates as Older Cop, Darcy Shean a Fancy Woman, Daniel Zolghadri as Carter, Dina Spybey-Waters as Jennifer, Cyrus Deboo as Administrator, Skyler James as Kid, Jonathan Slavin as Mr. Powers, Jay Chandrasekhar as Coach, Lukita Maxwell as Jillian and Daniel Nelson as Zane.

"Pilot" was written by Scott Silveri and directed by Christine Gernon.

Scott Silveri ("Friends") writes and is executive producer of the show, along with "Fresh Off the Boat"'s Jake Kasdan and Melvin Mar. The series is from Twentieth Century Fox Television and ABC Studios.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4u55WK6AbaM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-21-16, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
re: Speechless (ABC) -- Series Thread -- S: Minnie Driver

I saw the early release preview of the Pilot a few weeks ago on Hulu. It was okay at best. Not a lot of laughs. I'll check out episode 2 next week to see if I like it enough to stick with it.
Old 09-21-16, 03:57 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Timmy Burch from South Park loved it. His review of the pilot reads as follows:

"TIMMY!!!!"
Old 09-21-16, 09:26 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyone catch this? I was surprised to see such good review...
Old 09-21-16, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only time I laughed was during the final interaction between JJ and Kenneth so hopefully the next couple episodes are better or I move on quickly.
Old 09-22-16, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought the cell tower and the watching cars through that dodgy road bit were quite amusing - was much better than some of the other recent failed ABC comedy pilots so I'm willing to stick around for a few weeks to see how it goes - love Cedric too, so glad to see him here.
Old 09-23-16, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now, that had a lot more laugh out loud moments for us than most comedies, and we rarely watch sitcoms. Wife and I both work in the school system, and the extreme political correctness was almost NOT actually satirical....
Old 09-28-16, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just watched the second episode and feeling it's a little flat. Minnie Driver is the same uptight neighbor she played last time. A few laughs but not finding it compelling. Hopefully it continues to develop
Old 09-29-16, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

http://deadline.com/2016/09/designat...bc-1201828473/

ABC orders a full season. 22 episodes.
Old 09-29-16, 07:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

JimRochester...this must be my day to be a TV contrarian, as this is the second TV thread in which unlike at least one forum member on the thread, I felt the second ep was better than the first (the other thread is the Lethal Weapon one). It had a really low second week drop and solid retention from The Goldbergs so it does not surprise me that ABC pulled the trigger so soon on a full season pick up.
Old 09-29-16, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I like Minnie Driver a lot. She's just fun to watch in everything she does, and this is no exception.

It helps that I have a cousin with CP, and my aunt is the same kind of "I will do whatever it takes to get my son what he needs to live his life" type of person that Minnie Driver is playing.
Old 09-30-16, 12:03 AM

I'm really enjoying this. Quite a few moments from me and that almost never happens anymore. Really well done and portrayed.
Old 09-30-16, 08:36 AM

We are enjoying this. I love the whole "we're not jerks, we're idiots - there's a difference" mentality of the dad.

Having worked with caregivers in an educational environment, and personally knowing parents with differently challenged children, this show is a lot more on target than some might realize.
Old 09-30-16, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My wife is a special ed teacher so she is aware of a lot of the nuance that I am not.
Old 09-27-17, 08:09 AM

Re: Speechless (ABC) -- Series Thread -- S: Minnie Driver

SEASON PREMIERE

THE DiMEOS ARE BACK FOR A NEW SEASON, ON ABC'S 'SPEECHLESS'

Maya Decides the Family Can No Longer Use JJ's Disability as an Excuse to Let Their Lives Fall Through the Cracks

"W-E-- WE'RE B-A-- BACK!" - While JJ was at summer camp, Maya decided it's time the family no longer use JJ's disability as an excuse to let their lives fall through the cracks. Maya, Jimmy and Dylan make dramatic changes, but a smug Ray decides he will spend the summer watching his family likely failing at their attempts. When JJ comes home, Kenneth finds a love note in JJ's luggage from Alexa (guest star Rose Crisman), a girl he met at camp, who wants to give JJ his first kiss. The family chucks their self-improvement projects and hits the road to find Alexa, on the season premiere of "Speechless," WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 27 (8:30-9:00 p.m. EDT), on The ABC Television Network.

"Speechless" stars Minnie Driver as Maya DiMeo, John Ross Bowie ("The Big Bang Theory") as Jimmy DiMeo, Mason Cook as Ray DiMeo, Micah Fowler as JJ DiMeo, Kyla Kenedy as Dylan DiMeo and Cedric Yarbrough as Kenneth.

Guest starring is Rose Crisman as Alexa, Christopher Darga as boss, Kelly Stables as Candace, Rudy Martinez as counselor #1, Nikki Soohoo as counselor #2, Will Pinson Rose as co-worker, Abhi Trivedi as employee, and Chip Chinery as homeowner.

"W-E-- WE'RE B-A-- BACK!" was written by Scott Silveri and directed by Christine Gernon.

Scott Silveri ("Friends") writes and is executive producer of the show, along with "Fresh Off the Boat"'s Jake Kasdan and Melvin Mar. The series is from Twentieth Century Fox Television and ABC Studios. The Cerebral Palsy Foundation serves as a technical consultant on "Speechless." To learn more about CP, go to CerebralPalsyFoundation.org.
Old 09-27-17, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Awesome. ABC continues to have some of the best single cams on the major networks.
Old 03-14-18, 10:48 PM

Anyone watching this? I still really like it. This and American Housewife actually makes me smile and laugh which I never do. Minnie Driver is really good and they really don’t use JJ’s disability as a gimmick, but fully incorporated and done really well.
Old 03-14-18, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It’s ok but I stopped half through last season.
Old 03-15-18, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We watch it but I'm not totally enamored with it. I'm not really fond of Minnie Driver. Her voice annoys me and then she's usually playing an annoying or whiney character.
Old 03-15-18, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
Anyone watching this? I still really like it. This and American Housewife actually makes me smile and laugh which I never do. Minnie Driver is really good and they really donít use JJís disability as a gimmick, but fully incorporated and done really well.
I watch it and love it. I don't have time to watch it every week so I end up watching 3-4 episodes at a time when I can. It's one of the few network sitcoms I still watch.
Old 03-15-18, 01:08 PM

Same here - watch it, enjoy it and have 3 to watch still
Old 05-11-18, 08:24 AM

Renewed: http://tvline.com/2018/05/11/speechl...-season-3-abc/
Old 10-05-18, 08:00 AM

SEASON PREMIERE

THE DIMEOS HEAD TO LONDON, AND MAYA LOOKS TO REKINDLE HER RELATIONSHIP WITH HER ESTRANGED FATHER, ON THE SEASON PREMIERE OF ABC'S 'SPEECHLESS,' FRIDAY, OCT. 5

Comedic Legend John Cleese Guest Stars as Martin, TGIF Alum Ben Savage Also Guest Stars

"L-O-N-- LONDON" (Part 1) - The DiMeos cross the pond so Maya can ask her estranged father, the challenging Martin, for a loan to save their house. Meanwhile, Jimmy puts on his "fun dad" hat to ensure JJ has a great trip, Ray digs deep to summon Californian vibes to endear himself to British girls, and Kenneth reveals a love for all things royal, on the season premiere of "Speechless," FRIDAY, OCT. 5 (8:30-9:00 p.m. EDT), as part of the new TGIF programming block on The ABC Television Network, streaming and on demand.

Guest starring in this episode is John Cleese as Martin, Liz Robertson as Frances, Ben Savage as Stuart, Simmie Sangian as School Tour Girl, Lily Bleu Andrew as Tough Girl, Feodor Chin as Man, Abigail Marlowe as Woman, Keely Wells as Cute Girl, Ceri Bethan as Flight Attendant, Dakota Love as School Girl, Simon Amstell as Tour Guide, Lelia Hoffman as Prudence, Georgia Rose as Girl #2, Rachelle Diedericks as Girl #3, Yasmine Hill as Fiona, Ria Lopez as Claire, Terina Drayton as Cool Shorts Girl, Neil Edmond as Tour Guide and Vinta Morgan as Park Employee.

"L-O-N-- LONDON" (Part 1) was written by Scott Silveri & Seth Kurland and directed by Christine Gernon.

Scott Silveri ("Friends") writes and is executive producer of the show, along with "Fresh Off the Boat"'s Jake Kasdan and Melvin Mar. The series is from Twentieth Century Fox Television and ABC Studios. The Cerebral Palsy Foundation serves as a technical consultant on "Speechless." To learn more about CP, go to CerebralPalsyFoundation.org.
Old 04-13-19, 11:43 PM

I just saw the Season 3 finale and it was so good! Emotional, funny, true to form. Really seemed like it could be a series finale and it was a great way to go out. Is there any news on S4? I couldn’t find any definitives...
Old 05-11-19, 03:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cancelled, but as Oldboy already noted the show runners seem to have seen the writing on the wall by sending JJ off to college which acted as a great series finale.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.