Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Comedy Central Roast of Rob Lowe - 9/5/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-05-16, 05:38 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

David Spade hosts a salute to actor Rob Lowe. Roasters include Jimmy Carr, Pete Davidson, Bo Derek, Peyton Manning, Rob Riggle and Jeff Ross.
Old 09-05-16, 06:58 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Comedy Central Roast of Rob Lowe - 9/5/16

Recording this. Should be a hoot...
Old 09-06-16, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Ann Coulter should fire her publicist, there was no scenario where it would have ended well for her.

I'm guessing the joke writers gave her duds on purpose. Holy shit it was bad.
Old 09-06-16, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fucking love these roasts. Taped the after midnight edition, hope it's the unedited one, which usually airs at some point.
Old 09-06-16, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This was one of the better Roasts, simply because most of the people up there were atleast friends with Rob Lowe at some point because they worked with him. That is what the key part of any roast is that you have to get people who know the person who is being roasted, or the jokes come off as cruel and awkward.

I was suprised that Jewel and Peyton Manning were very funny as I expected them to bomb. As a Republican, I wish Ann Coulter would just go away forever as she is just a publicity whore. Because of people like her, I am actually not voting for Trump as this will be the first time in my life I don't vote for a Republican in a Presidential Election.

Good to see that Rob Lowe was a good sport about
Spoiler:
the Sex Tape he did in the late 80's as I was wondering if that was going to be taboo during the roast. But they pretty much covered every fuck up of his career.
Old 09-06-16, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Ann Coulter should fire her publicist, there was no scenario where it would have ended well for her.

Eh, would you be talking about Ann Coulter today if she had not gone on the roast? I doubt going in she wasn't aware of or gives a crap about what a bunch of Hollywood/entertainment people think about her. I mean that's kind of her thing anyway and if anything they acted out the image she paints of them. She may not have found their "jokes" wishing for her death funny, but she's laughing her way to the bank.
Old 09-06-16, 01:34 PM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would have been better if she could have at least gone along with the jokes and laughed at herself but instead she sat there pissed off with a stick up her a$$. However you are 100% right everyone is talking about her, keeps her in everyone's minds (good or bad) thus laughing all the way to the bank.

And Jewel really needs to get a better wardrobe. Gosh that dress showed how bad her implants look. They might look fine but every damn time they showed her all I could see was the marks indicating her implants, just awful.
Old 09-07-16, 01:30 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post

Apparently she rejected most of what they gave her. Here's a bit about it, including the jokes they wrote for her she didn't use.
Old 09-07-16, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since she was there just to pimp her book, no one was going to have sympathy when she bombed. If she took the jokes like a good sport earlier, and then went up there and did her best (even if she bombed), some people would have come to her defense and atleast said she had a sense of humor.

If you remember 'The Situation' bombed on a Comedy Central Roast a few years ago, and the fans started heckling him. Jeff Ross actually came out during his segment, and told the fans to lighten up because you started to feel bad for him. She could have turned it around on the liberals and said they were the ones with no sense of humor, but by putting her book next to her as she roasted everyone, we all knew why she was there.
Old 09-07-16, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually didn't find her all that terrible doing her segment as I read she was. Sure, she sucked, jokes were hackey and you could tell she was nervous, but she wasn't nearly as bad as The Situation was a few years ago. Her fake smile when she was getting railed on was the most uncomfortable thing about her being here.
Old 09-07-16, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
I actually didn't find her all that terrible doing her segment as I read she was.
That's the thing that most of the time on these roasts the non-comedians usually bomb, and everyone kind of gives the courtesy/fake laugh because you know they are amateurs. But she is so hated (just like The Situation) where everyone is happy when someone like that bombs.
Old 09-07-16, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought the funniest part was Rob Lowe thanking everyone for roasting Ann Coulter instead of him.
Old 09-07-16, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Was it just me, or was Jewel's segment the best one?
Wonder who wrote that for her - either way, she preformed it really well.
Old 09-07-16, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Was it just me, or was Jewel's segment the best one?
Wonder who wrote that for her - either way, she preformed it really well.
She had help for sure, but she is naturally funny. When she is in Stern, she is usually a good interview due to her humor.
Old 09-07-16, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 09-08-16, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Coulter was just in attendance to shill his book. No fucking clue why he was invited. Is he one of Lowe's long-ago conquests? What a revolting, amoral, sociopathic specimen.
Macchio looks fantastic for 55, or whatever age he is, but his act was probably the least funny of all. Always good to see Spade, who is an underrated comedian of deadpan sarcasm, but I found him a bit subdued.
Old 09-08-16, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Watched it and it was a riot. The good thing about these roasts for me is I can watch them 3 or 4 times and laugh just as hard every time.

I actually thought Peyton Manning would be funnier. I love him on SNL.
Old 09-10-16, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Jimmy Carr rocked !
Old 09-10-16, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Really enjoyed this; I had no problem with Coulter being there, it's often better when a truly unlikeable person (Courtney Love, for example) is on the stage. I didn't mind her shilling her book either - what I did mind was her showing up and not playing along. She came off as the stuck up, tight assed twat who probably hasn't achieved or inspired an orgasm in 30 years that I thought she was
Old 09-10-16, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Get called a misogynist for not liking Ghostbusters or calling Hillary a bitch.....but applaud comedians for calling a woman a **** and a bitch. Guess there are no wrong tactics only wrong targets.
Old 09-10-16, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Missed the roast, watched this ... Damn!
Old 09-10-16, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man View Post
Get called a misogynist for not liking Ghostbusters or calling Hillary a bitch.....but applaud comedians for calling a woman a **** and a bitch. Guess there are no wrong tactics only wrong targets.
Sometimes a woman is called a bitch because she's a bitch.
Old 09-10-16, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man View Post
Yeah, 'cause everything else in that roast was politically correct. Like the multitude of Rob Lowe underage sex jokes.

I've said it before in the Politics Forum, but I don't believe for a second that Ann Coulter believes half the shit she spews out. It's her schtick. She just says the most outrageous thing she can think of and watches the reaction (look at her sometime. She'll say something crazy, and look at the fellow panelists or audience almost before they've had time to process it). Had she showed a "normal" side during the roast, an ability to laugh at herself, the masquerade would have been over. She has a brand, and anything she publishes or any personal appearance is solely to maintain that brand. Which is exactly what she did at the roast.
Old 09-10-16, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Paff View Post

I've said it before in the Politics Forum, but I don't believe for a second that Ann Coulter believes half the shit she spews out. It's her schtick. She just says the most outrageous thing she can think of and watches the reaction (look at her sometime. She'll say something crazy, and look at the fellow panelists or audience almost before they've had time to process it). Had she showed a "normal" side during the roast, an ability to laugh at herself, the masquerade would have been over. She has a brand, and anything she publishes or any personal appearance is solely to maintain that brand. Which is exactly what she did at the roast.
Not turn this into a political discussion, but I agree with everything you say. In fact I think most political pundits (who publish multiple books) don't believe most of the shit they say. They have exploited a base of voters who agree with what they say and will buy their books.

The Trump phenomenon has really shown how transparent these pundits are because a lot of them masqueraded for years as 'by the book' conservatives. Then to come out and support Trump means they see a base of people who love him, and they will exploit that market for their financial gain. Sean Hannity and Laura Ingraham come to mind.
Old 09-10-16, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The pundit industrial complex exists only to serve its master: ratings.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.