TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The joys of rewatching great tv?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-16, 09:08 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: The joys of rewatching great tv?

Originally Posted by Paff
I'm not jealous, I pity those people. My dad dated one when I was a kid. She couldn't understand why we went to see Star Wars so many times. She had the attitude that "once you find out what happens, why would you want to see it again?"

Anyway, for my summer re-watching, I've been heavily hitting the Hill Street Blues and Cheers reruns on H&I and Hallmark Channel respectively. It's amusing that there's censoring of language going on. Yes, even on Cheers.
Pity doesn't seem like the right word. Why pity them?

What's better, to have watched one thing multiple times or to have watched multiple things once? Or to have multiple hobbies? Or to spend time outside?
Old 08-23-16, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

One show I'm looking forward to seeing again is Earth: Final Conflict. Had the DVDs for years and have never removed the shrinkwrap. After a few more years have gone by I'll be ready to revisit Stargate: SG-1.
Old 08-23-16, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
One show I'm looking forward to seeing again is Earth: Final Conflict. Had the DVDs for years and have never removed the shrinkwrap. After a few more years have gone by I'll be ready to revisit Stargate: SG-1.
SG-1 and Atlantis are both VERY re-watchable. I've been through both 3 times...
Old 08-23-16, 09:46 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
SG-1 and Atlantis are both VERY re-watchable. I've been through both 3 times...
Considering rewatching them, but what order to I watch them? SG1 and Atlantis seasons were intertwined.
Old 08-23-16, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Considering rewatching them, but what order to I watch them? SG1 and Atlantis seasons were intertwined.
The order isn't too critical. SG1 and Atlantis were not really highly serialized with one another.

One significant case of some serialization between SG1 and Atlantis, would be:

- final episode of SG1 season 7 ("Lost City")
- first episode of SG1 season 8 ("New Order")
- first episode of Atlantis season 1 ("Rising")

mostly involving the Dr. Elizabeth Weir character.
Old 08-23-16, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
I'm not jealous, I pity those people. My dad dated one when I was a kid. She couldn't understand why we went to see Star Wars so many times. She had the attitude that "once you find out what happens, why would you want to see it again?"
I would ask people like this if they ever listen to a song or album more than once. If so, why? You already know how the song ends.

Christopher Lee read Lord of the Rings every year. Why? Could it perhaps be because through repeatedly experiencing a creative work, we come to better understand it and find new things to love about it? Maybe some feel comfort and joy from re-experiencing things they hold dear?

I suspect most of those who don't see a need to experience something more than once see creative works as a disposable form of distraction and not much more.
Old 08-23-16, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I do but not everything.

Traditional staples would be:

X-Files
Hunter
Star Trek
Tales From the Crypt

There are probably more but I can't remember. Now with the advent of Netflix and other services it makes that much easier and CHEAPER to re-watch old shows without having to buy them up on BD/DVD.
Old 08-23-16, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

I have 4 night's set aside for viewing older tv shows(on dvd).

Sunday night:Mostly 60's tv shows
Wednesday night-Fox.Paramount,Sony tv shows
Friday night-misc. tv shows
Saturday night-WB,MGM,Universal,A&E tv shows
Old 08-23-16, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I watch a fair amount of TV in the background while I work so I don't want to watch something new that I have to concentrate on. Right now I'm on another rewatch of Game of Thrones because it's really interesting to rewatch when I already know what's going to happen later and I can make better connections to the large number of characters who pop in and out.

Firefly is another show I like to rewatch, and it's a short run.

My kids also like to rewatch HIMYM, and I enjoy rewatching those episodes.

When I'm not working, though, I try to make a dent in my TV backlog.
Old 08-23-16, 05:55 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Rewatching first season of West Wing. Fucking brilliant show.
Old 08-23-16, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
I'm hitting some clunkers in season one is SG-1 (I'm suffering through Hathor now) but otherwise I've always enjoyed the re-watch. I don't own Atlantis but is available via steaming, I haven't decided if I'll watch that next because it's a more frustrating series.
Old 08-23-16, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

I re-watch Frasier and Curb Your Enthusiasm quite a bit. It helps that the episodes are only 20-30 minutes long, enabling me to cover more ground in less time. Plus, I never tire of them.
Old 08-24-16, 09:55 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've been rewatching some shows but fast forwarding through whole entire sub plots or character scenes which just peed me off.
Old 08-26-16, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I'll watch an episode here or there of some shows (not on tv) that are high ranking while overall I just don't do it much anymore or rather wait much longer. There is just so much to watch, read etc.. that I have never seen.
Old 08-26-16, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
I've been rewatching some shows but fast forwarding through whole entire sub plots or character scenes which just peed me off.
To me that's an opportunity to see if your tastes have changed or if your head was in a different space the first time around.

Then again some things are clearly terrible and not worth revisiting at all. Case in point, I've been rewatching Smallville and season four is still the worst of the worst and carries over into season five for any episode featuring Lana prominently.
Old 08-26-16, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
To me that's an opportunity to see if your tastes have changed or if your head was in a different space the first time around.

Then again some things are clearly terrible and not worth revisiting at all. Case in point, I've been rewatching Smallville and season four is still the worst of the worst and carries over into season five for any episode featuring Lana prominently.
Lana becomes a completely useless character on Smallville sometime during season three when it's clear that Clark and her are never going to make it work. The show bounces back a bit when she leaves.
Old 08-26-16, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Yeah, I was there for the full run. I started over this summer to watch with the kiddos. You're right though, the show would have been much better off had they just written Lana out after graduation. She's forced into plots and stories where she has nothing to do.

One thing I have enjoyed is Lois. I seem to recall her getting a lot of flack in the discussion threads in the early episodes but man, she was a home run from the first moment she appears. Welling and Durance's chemistry is amazing, which makes watching Clark and Lana's forced moments even more brutal.
Old 08-26-16, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Lois saved the show, agreed.
Old 08-27-16, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Even during it's run it had issues. Entertaining yet a lot of issues. Clark was an idiot half the time. Things took forever to get anywhere. (Something newer shows are not doing, at least the comic based ones) They also pulled things out of thin air that did not connect. No huge issue with Lana yet it did help a bit since that was going nowhere.
Old 08-30-16, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I loved Erica Durance as Lois.

The Lana episodes were horrible in the later seasons. Then a few years later Kristin Kreuk had an arc in Chuck and was great, like the drudgery that had been weighing her down in Smallville had been lifted off her shoulders.
Old 09-02-16, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

I've re watched entire seasons of many shows like, mash, Gilligans Island, Twin Peaks, Seinfeld, Simpsons (1-9 ish), Arrested Development, Office, Parks and Rec, Curb. I own all of them on DVD or blu ray. I just don't watch a whole lot of new tv shows.