Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The CW/DC Shows News, Rumors Thread (Arrowverse, etc.) -- potential spoilers

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-19, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: The CW/DC Shows News, Rumors Thread (Arrowverse, etc.) -- potential spoilers

Without a doubt there's going to be some kind of massive cliffhanger at the end of The Flash's episode.

I get the frustration of the gap between parts 3 and 4 and 5. But, here's the thing, networks don't like to burn off new and original programming close to Christmas and the new year. The ad money during this period is very low.

Mid to late December and early January are typically very low rated weeks and hardly anyone watching live TV then. Yes, even though you all stream it, DVR it, network TV is still in the business of making money off live viewers.

Old 12-03-19, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts
Re: The CW/DC Shows News, Rumors Thread (Arrowverse, etc.) -- potential spoilers

Originally Posted by DJariya
Without a doubt there's going to be some kind of massive cliffhanger at the end of The Flash's episode.

I get the frustration of the gap between parts 3 and 4 and 5. But, here's the thing, networks don't like to burn off new and original programming close to Christmas and the new year. The ad money during this period is very low.

Mid to late December and early January are typically very low rated weeks and hardly anyone watching live TV then. Yes, even though you all stream it, DVR it, network TV is still in the business of making money off live viewers.
That doesn't mean anything though. They could've easily reworked the schedule to have all of it happen a week earlier so that it ended this week, instead of doing half now and waiting a month. It comes down to them thinking this would lead to a month of hype and office talk, but instead had the opposite effect of just making people wait a month.
Old 12-03-19, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk God

The CW released episode summaries of the 1st 3 parts. It tells who will appear and when.

Here's when some will appear. If you don't want to be spoiled on when you can expect to see someone, don't read this:

Spoiler:

https://batman-news.com/2019/11/22/c...rths-synopses/

Tom Welling and Erica Durance along with Kevin Conroy will appear in part 2

Jon Cryer will return as Lex also in part 2

Not 100% sure, but it also looks like Kingdom Come Superman also appears in part 2

Black Lightning and Flash 1990 will appear in part 3

Old 12-03-19, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Koby
That doesn't mean anything though. They could've easily reworked the schedule to have all of it happen a week earlier so that it ended this week, instead of doing half now and waiting a month. It comes down to them thinking this would lead to a month of hype and office talk, but instead had the opposite effect of just making people wait a month.
Yeah I know it doesn't mean shit for you because you're just a viewer and don't care about that kind of thing.

All the networks take the Holidays/New Years off. 3-4 weeks. That's how it's been for decades. Every show typically goes on their Holiday break with a big "Midseason Finale" and this is no exception. This is no different than each of these shows taking 3-4 weeks for their midseason break. I know you think it's a dick move and they should have burned it all off this week because they have been heavily touting this for months. And you think it will destroy momentum for those who want to binge all 5 parts in 1 sitting. But, the CW does have other shows on their network that need to also air their midseason finales that week as well.

They want to come back in January with 2 big episodes and also at a time when they can get better ad revenue because more people are watching live TV in January.

Old 12-03-19, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah I know it doesn't mean shit for you because you're just a viewer and don't care about that kind of thing.

All the networks take the Holidays/New Years off. 3-4 weeks. That's how it's been for decades. Every show typically goes on their Holiday break with a big "Midseason Finale" and this is no exception. This is no different than each of these shows taking 3-4 weeks for their midseason break. I know you think it's a dick move and they should have burned it all off this week because they have been heavily touting this for months. And you think it will destroy momentum for those who want to binge all 5 parts in 1 sitting. But, the CW does have other shows on their network that need to also air their midseason finales that week as well.

They want to come back in January with 2 big episodes and also at a time when they can get better ad revenue because more people are watching live TV in January.
You completely missed the point. No one disputed anything about taking time off for the Holiday. The dispute was about how they fumbled the handling of it because they thought they would build up hype, but it's clearly had the opposite effect for many, and there was zero need to have split it the way they did. They could've done it all after the Holiday break or before, but they purposely choose to kill momentum on their own accord. Seems like you read the first sentence and disregarded the entire rest of the post.

Regarding your last sentence: then do all 5 in January. ad revenue for 5 episodes obviously would be more than for 2 episodes. So yeah, like I said, terrible scheduling any way you try to shake it.

Last edited by Koby; 12-03-19 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12-03-19, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk God

You completely missed the point.
Then please clarify why you think this is so stupid in your opinion. Not trying to belittle how you feel. Just trying to get why doing this is any different than say The Flash or Arrow taking a 3-4 week break with a massive cliffhanger.
Old 12-03-19, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Then please clarify why you think this is so stupid in your opinion.
If you'd read more than the first sentence of each post, you'd see that I have clarified each time, but judging by your reaction to each post it seems to stop reading after the first sentence.

But again, because there wasn't any reason for it to have been broken up the way it is. Either air it a few weeks earlier or air it after the break. Obviously they thought it would build hype, but it's had the opposite effect. The whole point of a cliffhanger is to build up hype. The difference between a normal Arrow episode ending on a cliff-hanger and some massive advertised 5-part event stopping after 3, is pretty big. The point is to build up hype for people to watch the next Arrow episode when it returns. This is accomplished because people watch the episode not knowing a massive cliffhanger is guaranteed. Meanwhile with a 5-part event only being partially aired, everyone already knows a cliffhanger is guaranteed, so hype dies down when they learn they must wait a month before even watching it, so instead of watching and getting hyped up and talking about it, everyone instead just doesn't watch it for a month. So then the whole point of the break becomes meaningless as it fails to do it's job.
Old 12-03-19, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk God

If you'd read more than the first sentence of each post, you'd see that I have clarified each time, but judging by your reaction to each post it seems to stop reading after the first sentence.
No you added more to your comment after I responded. That's why it looked like I was ignoring half your thought.
Old 12-03-19, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts

Fact of the matter is, the previous CW annual crossover events did not involve splitting up the episodes over the span of a whole month. I am not in the industry or know any more of the inner workings than anyone else. But when I first heard the announcement, my immediate reaction was that they are trying the same BS as the movie producers splitting up the final movie in the franchise to Part 1 and Part 2 to milk it for all it's worth. Except in the case of TV shows, not sure if they are getting the same kind of monetary payoff.

Old 12-03-19, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Marc Guggeinheim, the showrunner and head writer of this crossover tweeted on the 26th, that part 3 was written to purposely end on a cliffhanger

They are likely treating this as the CW's version of Infinity War/End game. But at least you don't have to wait a full calendar year for the resolution.
Old 12-03-19, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Sunday - Supergirl - Part 1

Monday - Batwoman - Part 2

Tuesday - The Flash - Part 3

January 14th - Arrow - Part 4, Legends of Tomorrow - Part 5
Also, although it’s not an official part, the next episode of Black Lightning looks like it will tie in heavily.
Old 12-03-19, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

So you all don't want 5 threads for the series then if you want to wait until January??? I was going to do it, but since you all have no plans to watch it until mid January then.....

I'm serious, I don't want to put out dead threads for the Crisis Parts 1 through 3 of Supergirl, Batwoman and The Flash next week, if none of you want to watch them now.
Why not just one big Crisis thread starting next week? Those of us watching now can discuss and when the rest of you catch up you can chime in.
Old 12-03-19, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Why not just one big Crisis thread starting next week? Those of us watching now can discuss and when the rest of you catch up you can chime in.
That's exactly what I will do then.
Old 12-03-19, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Side benefit, it's a single thread for the Netflix watchers to read/bump next summer.
Old 12-03-19, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

Side benefit, it's a single thread for the Netflix watchers to read/bump next summer.
I think all of them except Flash (and some other non-hero shows) are going to HBO Max.
Old 12-03-19, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
I think all of them except Flash (and some other non-hero shows) are going to HBO Max.
Only Batwoman as of right now is contracted to HBO Max post CW among the DC shows. But it won’t move there until 1 month before the season 2 premiere.

The entire season will be on the CW app until then.
Old 12-04-19, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

Sunday - Supergirl - Part 1

Monday - Batwoman - Part 2

Tuesday - The Flash - Part 3

January 14th - Arrow - Part 4, Legends of Tomorrow - Part 5
Thanks!
Old 12-04-19, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

There'll be an hour-long Crisis After-show next following Supergirl and Flash. It's listed in my DVR as "Crisis Aftermath".
Old 12-04-19, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
Also, although it’s not an official part, the next episode of Black Lightning looks like it will tie in heavily.
I was going to ask about why BL wasn't included in this as a series. The guide says it's like part 4 of a storyline, though, is it just like a short snippet or something?
Old 12-04-19, 08:26 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I was going to ask about why BL wasn't included in this as a series. The guide says it's like part 4 of a storyline, though, is it just like a short snippet or something?
The titles for Black Lightning always have "The Book of... Chapter... " in it. The next episode just happens to be "Chapter 4". It will probably just have some scene at the end that shows a red sky for Crisis and Lila coming to get Jefferson. Maybe they'll tag that Wells scene they've been showing on all the shows after the end logo too.

Last edited by dex14; 12-04-19 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-04-19, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

The preview suggests it’s more than just a bit at the end, more like a decent chunk of the episode is Crisis-related.

Think about how actual comics work with these events. Even with the main story there’s all these side story tie-ins, and I think the episode will mostly be like that, until maybe the final moments when BL is recruited. But regardless it looks like much of the episode is going to be more about Crisis than about the ASA, Marcovia, etc.
Old 12-04-19, 08:25 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

I won't be surprised if Crisis is later released as a blu-ray set on it's own with tons of extras on everyone that shows up.
Old 12-05-19, 02:30 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Well I’m having back surgery on Jan 3rd so I probably won’t have a chance to watch all of them until I’m out of rehab (whenever that will be) so you’ll have to live without my witty and insightful input.
Old 12-05-19, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Well I’m having back surgery on Jan 3rd so I probably won’t have a chance to watch all of them until I’m out of rehab (whenever that will be) so you’ll have to live without my witty and insightful input.
Good luck on the procedure. You could always visit Bruce Wayne's doctor, I hear he can completely heal crushed spines.
Old 12-05-19, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
I won't be surprised if Crisis is later released as a blu-ray set on it's own with tons of extras on everyone that shows up.
I’d love it if they released all the CW
crossover events in a box set or something... I don’t really want to own all 43 seasons of all the shows but the crossovers gave all been great fun.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.