A Sheep Game About Nothing -- SEINFELD SHEEP

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-16, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts
A Sheep Game About Nothing -- SEINFELD SHEEP

Intro for first time players
Spoiler:

(Reverse) Sheep is a game that is part Family Feud, part trivia game. The object of the game is to outwit other players through a series of questions that are usually united in theme. There are two types of questions.
The first, Sheep, is one where you try to think like everyone else and match their answers. The more people you match, the better you do. Let's say we have a game of six players (A through F). A Sheep question might be something like "Name a great color." Sheep questions never have right or wrong answers. Let's say our five players answered like this:
Players A, C, and E said "Blue"
Players B and D said "Green"
Player F said "Chartreuse"
Scoring in Sheep games is like golf: the lower your score, the better. The "Blue" players get -3 points (and the best answer). The "Green" players get -2 points. Player F did not match anyone and gets 0 points.
The second type of question, Reverse Sheep, is the exact opposite. You want to avoid matching other players. A Reverse Sheep question might be something like "Name a state on the Atlantic Coast." Reverse Sheep questions always have right or wrong answers. Let's say our players answered like this:
Players D and E said "Delaware"
Players F and B said "Maine"
Player C said "Texas"
Player A said "South Carolina"
The "Delaware" players get +2 points (a penalty, since you want to have a low score). The "Maine" players also get +2 points. Player C's answer might be debated among the players to see if it is considered correct or not. Wrong answers always score above the most common answer. You're always better off going for something obvious than for something obviously wrong.
That's the gist of it. Each person running a game adds little rules here and there but those are the basics.

General Rules
Spoiler:

The object of the game is to out-think everyone by picking answers to questions that are the most common (Sheep) or least common (Reverse Sheep), but still correct.
Example Sheep question: "Name a professional golfer." A good answer might be Tiger Woods and a bad answer might be Chichi Rodriguez.
Example Reverse Sheep question: "Name a play by Shakespeare." Romeo & Juliet might be a bad answer, but Two Gentlemen of Verona might be a good answer. (Unless everyone is trying to go as obscure as possible).
Scores are tallied according to the number of players answering that question. Sheep answers are tallied as negative. Reverse Sheep answers are tallied as positive. The lowest score wins.
There is no such thing as wrong answer for a Sheep question.
Wrong answers in Reverse Sheep are scored +10.
You may not cheat by using Google, Wikipedia, etc. Use only what's in your head.
Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers, set info, or the question itself. Add {sd} to the end of the answer, not the beginning. Those who do not do this will be penalized 10 points right off the bat.
Note: Be creative with your answers, but don't be stupid.
Sheep questions are marked by an S:, Reverse Sheep questions are marked by an R:.

Game-Specific Rules
All these questions are about the TV series Seinfeld that ran on NBC from 7/1989 to 5/1998.
Jerry Seinfeld, George Costanza, Elaine Benes, and Cosmo Kramer are the four leading characters of the series.
Most of the questions are about characters and episodes. When the question says "name," your answer requires a name. When the question says "identify," an unambiguous description is acceptable. If you explain it well enough, I will know what you are talking about. The first question clearly demonstrates what I mean.

Unique Bonus: Reverse Sheep questions will generate additional bonus (negative) points according to the following:
  • 1 Unique is awarded -20
  • 2 Uniques are awarded -15 each
  • 3 Uniques are awarded -10 each
  • 4+ Uniques are awarded -5 each

Slam Dunks {sd} Players have the power of multipliers in their hands. Each player is given five (5) Slam Dunks ({sd}) which they use by adding {sd} to the end of their answer. Your Slam Dunks have different effects depending on the question you use it on:
  • In Sheep questions, the {sd} multiplies your points by 2.
    [*]A slam on a Reverse Sheep question turns it into a Sheep question. Positive points become negative. Uniques are scored zero (0). Incorrect answers are still given the penalty for being incorrect.
  • Slam dunks cannot be stacked. Use one per question only or else they will be discarded. You cannot use two slam dunks to turn a Reverse into a Sheep and then slam dunk those sheep answers.

Other reminders: Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers or the question itself. Do not forget your {sd}. Sometimes I notice and ask the player to re-send, and sometimes I don't, so to make things fair, if you forget to include them I won't be reminding you. If you submit more than 5 {sd}s, the first five will be accepted and all others discarded.

1) “The Contest”—or the episode where they bet to see who can go the longest without masturbating—is easily the most famous episode of Seinfeld. “The Contest” is pretty, pretty, pretty good, but Sheep know it is not the best episode. Name or identify the best episode of Seinfeld. [Warning: If your answer to this question is “The Contest,” you will be penalized.]

2) Seinfeld is famous for its so-called Sein-language. What is the most quotable of all the catchphrases that the show introduced?

3) REVERSE: Besides Newman, name a recurring character who appeared in more than three episodes, and had a very significant role in the plot of at least one episode.

4) Now, name or identify the best episode where Newman plays a very significant role in the plot.

5) Speaking of Newman, name or identify an episode where food plays a significant role in the plot.

6) Speaking of food, what’s the deal with airline food? Name or identify the funniest episode where one of the four leads either flies on an airplane or goes to the airport.

7) One of the things George was proudest of was his ability to scheme and spin a web of lies. What specifically was the most deceitful thing “Can’t Stand Ya” did in an episode. [Warning: See the clarification in the thread.]

8) REVERSE: Despite being short and bald, often unemployed, and sometimes living with his parents, George dated a lot of women who were out of his league. Name or identify a woman George dated. [I’ll take the character’s name, the name of the actress, or a specific description for #8, #9, #10.]

9) Now, besides Elaine, name or identify one of the women Jerry dated. [Warning: If your answer to this question is Elaine, you will be penalized.]

10) Name or identify one of the losers that Elaine dated.

11) Speaking of Elaine, of the four leads, she is the only non-native New Yorker, but like most Manhattanites, she does not own a car. Name or identify an episode where a car plays a significant role in the plot.

12) REVERSE: Who are these people? Name someone who watches the one-time broadcast of Jerry.

13) Kramer is a loathsome, offensive brute, who George describes as simply “falling ass-backwards into money.” But actually, Kramer is often taking different jobs or coming up with money-making ideas. What was one thing Kramer did to make a buck?

14) Most of the time though, Kramer was just involved in zany misadventures. Which one was the zaniest?

15) Back to jobs. Elaine working at J. Peterman and George working for the Yankees generated a lot of Seinfeld storylines. Besides J. Peterman or the Yankees, name/identify a business (real or fictional) that played a significant role in the plot of an episode. [Warning: If your answer to this question is J. Peterman or Yankees, you will be penalized.]

16) REVERSE: Once George started working for the New York Yankees, many of the players appeared on the show. Not including any Yankee players, name a celebrity who appeared on Seinfeld as him/herself.

17) Name someone who appeared in a previous episode and then testifies at the trial in “The Finale.”

18) Name a movie that Jerry, George, Elaine, or Kramer watches in a theater or on home video. The movie can be a real one, or one made up for the show, but you have to know the title.

19) If you could have one prop from one specific episode, what would you pick?

20) REVERSE: Jerry, George, Elaine, or Kramer?

I will post some clarifications about the questions and this game in the thread.

Last edited by Count Dooku; 07-16-16 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-16-16, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: A Sheep Game About Nothing -- SEINFELD SHEEP

I won't run this game until Mr Flix completes the Friends Sheep game.

I wanted to post the questions because I figured there would be crossover between the players, and if I sat on the questions for a week, I would never stop changing them.

Just start sending the answers in.

Clarifications

#3, #12, #16, #17 ask for a name. If you don't know the character or the actor's name, then you need a different answer.

When the question says "identify," all I need is a good, brief description. If your description is good, I will know what you are talking about. If you have to write an essay to explain your answer, you need a different answer.

The general rule is that there are no incorrect Sheep answers. For questions #1, #9, #15, there are incorrect answers. I just wanted to do it that way.

For #7, George's alias of Art Vandelay and his lie about being an architect are not going to be specific enough. Your answer will need to be more episode specific.

If you look at the rules, you will see I bolded two things that I changed. Incorrect answers will simply be scored +10.

I specifically chose questions to limit the impact of the slams. Just a personal choice.
One of the questions was: "Name someone who wrote an episode of Seinfeld?" Everybody could have answered Larry David and slammed it.
I'm hoping that this game will have some closer scores with more players in it to the end.

I would prefer that if you have questions about the questions that you PM me, not post them. If I think the answer should be shared, I will do so.

Old 07-16-16, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The way #3 is worded, you may think you need to go running to IMDb or Wikipedia, you don't need to.
There are enough correct answers to this question that all players could have uniques.
If you are familiar enough with Seinfeld to answer the other questions, you can come up with a dozen answers to this question pretty easily.
Old 07-16-16, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Sheep-worthy answers submitted!
Old 07-17-16, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Cool. I was locked out of the Friends Sheep (never saw an episode), so this looks pretty, pretty, pretty good.
Old 07-17-16, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Cool. I was locked out of the Friends Sheep (never saw an episode), so this looks pretty, pretty, pretty good.
This makes me think that a Curb game could be fun.

I'll get in my answers sometime soon.
Old 07-17-16, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by majorjoe23

I'll get in my answers sometime soon.
After Mr Flix finishes the Friends game, I will see how many submissions we have, probably give a call to get them in, so no hurry.
Old 07-17-16, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

My answers are in
Old 07-17-16, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

I only watched Seinfeld sporadically, so I'm out of this one. Looking forward to following the results, though!
Old 07-17-16, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tommyp007
I only watched Seinfeld sporadically, so I'm out of this one. Looking forward to following the results, though!
Old 07-17-16, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I may try to play, but I haven't watched the show once since it went off the air, so my memory may be too rusty to participate. We'll see.
Old 07-17-16, 01:39 PM

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Nice into pic. I'm "With the Seinfelds" too.
Old 07-17-16, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

I've got to ponder on this for a bit. Please give us a good heads-up on the submission deadline.
Old 07-17-16, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm definitely in, love Seinfeld.

Haven't played Sheep before, should be interesting.
Old 07-17-16, 02:53 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

submitted Bitches!
Old 07-17-16, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

I'll participate and send in answers later. But this one is far easier than the Superhero sheep game that was just completed.

#6 is kinda hard for me and I'll have to go with a description. For most of the episode questions I think I can provide the actual ep title. #14 is one I'll have to think about as well.
Old 07-17-16, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
The way #3 is worded, you may think you need to go running to IMDb or Wikipedia, you don't need to.
There are enough correct answers to this question that all players could have uniques.
If you are familiar enough with Seinfeld to answer the other questions, you can come up with a dozen answers to this question pretty easily.
This came up in SHEEPERHERO II and was dropped quicker than Gwen Stacey ... I thought it was commonly accepted that you shouldn't be using any resources in Sheep games. Am I wrong here?

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
I'll participate and send in answers later. But this one is far easier than the Superhero sheep game that was just completed.
As a novice Sheepmaster, I'm just trying to gauge ... Is that good or bad?

Not a big Seinfeld fan, but after seeing the questions I think I can make a better run here than I could at Friends.
Old 07-17-16, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
This came up in SHEEPERHERO II and was dropped quicker than Gwen Stacey ... I thought it was commonly accepted that you shouldn't be using any resources in Sheep games. Am I wrong here?

You are not supposed to go searching for answers, but some games have reverse questions that beg you to do so. Just being honest about that.
Old 07-17-16, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

As a novice Sheepmaster, I'm just trying to gauge ... Is that good or bad?

Not a big Seinfeld fan, but after seeing the questions I think I can make a better run here than I could at Friends.
Sorry, I didn't mean for it to come off as an insult. I had fun in your sheep game it just required more thinking time. Well that and I'm not the biggest Super Hero movie fan.
Originally Posted by Count Dooku
You are not supposed to go searching for answers, but some games have reverse questions that beg you to do so. Just being honest about that.
Question #3 shouldn't require any googling. I came up with several answers off the top of my head. The trick is to figure which one will be unique. Oh and one of the questions contains a possible answer for this.
Old 07-17-16, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Oh no, no insult was read into that, sleepy! No worries!

I'm still learning the ropes as far as what makes a game better -- easier or harder questions? I'm sure the answer is "a good mix".

But what makes a question easier or harder? Is it just knowledge of the subject? Or is how the question is worded? Stuff like that is what I meant ...
Old 07-17-16, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 627 Posts

I may know this show too well--it's hard for me to decide which answers will be the sheepiest.
Old 07-18-16, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll give this a Monday bump. to get people's attention. 7 players so far
Old 07-18-16, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

I'm in! Answers coming soon.
Old 07-18-16, 05:19 PM

Received 1,910 Likes on 1,128 Posts

I keep missing sheep games and I really want to play this one. I will really, really try to get my answers in today.
Old 07-18-16, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Answers sent!

These questions were tough. I may be looking at my first last place finish or I might do really well. I have no idea.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.