Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The One with the Friends Trivia: A SHEEP GAME

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-16, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
The One with the Friends Trivia: A SHEEP GAME

Let's shoot for 20 players. Send your answers between now and Sunday, and I'll plan to start revealing the scores on Monday.

Intro for first time players
Spoiler:

(Reverse) Sheep is a game that is part Family Feud, part trivia game. The object of the game is to outwit other players through a series of questions that are usually united in theme. There are two types of questions.
The first, Sheep, is one where you try to think like everyone else and match their answers. The more people you match, the better you do. Let's say we have a game of six players (A through F). A Sheep question might be something like "Name a great color." Sheep questions never have right or wrong answers. Let's say our five players answered like this:
Players A, C, and E said "Blue"
Players B and D said "Green"
Player F said "Chartreuse"
Scoring in Sheep games is like golf: the lower your score, the better. The "Blue" players get -3 points (and the best answer). The "Green" players get -2 points. Player F did not match anyone and gets 0 points.
The second type of question, Reverse Sheep, is the exact opposite. You want to avoid matching other players. A Reverse Sheep question might be something like "Name a state on the Atlantic Coast." Reverse Sheep questions always have right or wrong answers. Let's say our players answered like this:
Players D and E said "Delaware"
Players F and B said "Maine"
Player C said "Texas"
Player A said "South Carolina"
The "Delaware" players get +2 points (a penalty, since you want to have a low score). The "Maine" players also get +2 points. Player C's answer might be debated among the players to see if it is considered correct or not. Wrong answers always score above the most common answer. You're always better off going for something obvious than for something obviously wrong.
That's the gist of it. Each person running a game adds little rules here and there but those are the basics.

General Rules
Spoiler:

The object of the game is to out-think everyone by picking answers to questions that are the most common (Sheep) or least common (Reverse Sheep), but still correct.
Example Sheep question: "Name a professional golfer." A good answer might be Tiger Woods and a bad answer might be Chichi Rodriguez.
Example Reverse Sheep question: "Name a play by Shakespeare." Romeo & Juliet might be a bad answer, but Two Gentlemen of Verona might be a good answer. (Unless everyone is trying to go as obscure as possible).
Scores are tallied according to the number of players answering that question. Sheep answers are tallied as negative. Reverse Sheep answers are tallied as positive. The lowest score wins.
There is no such thing as wrong answer for a Sheep question.
Wrong answers in Reverse Sheep are scored two points above the most common answer.
You may not cheat by using Google, Wikipedia, etc. Use only what's in your head.
Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers, set info, or the question itself. Add {sd} to the end of the answer, not the beginning. Those who do not do this will be penalized 10 points right off the bat.
Note: Be creative with your answers, but don't be stupid.
Sheep questions are marked by an S:, Reverse Sheep questions are marked by an R:.

Game-Specific Rules
Note: Any time I refer to the "Friends," I am referring ONLY to the six principal characters/actors. Make sure you are specific in your answers (provide everything I need to know what answer you are providing – i.e., the actor, character, film, etc.). Vague answers with multiple interpretations may receive a 5 point penalty.

Unique Bonus: Reverse Sheep questions will generate additional bonus (negative) points according to the following:
  • 1 Unique is awarded -20
  • 2 Uniques are awarded -15 each
  • 3 Uniques are awarded -10 each
  • 4+ Uniques are awarded -5 each

Slam Dunks {sd} Players have the power of multipliers in their hands. Each player is given five (5) Slam Dunks ({sd}) which they use by adding {sd} to the end of their answer. Your Slam Dunks have different effects depending on the question you use it on:
  • In Sheep questions, the {sd} adds 1 to the Multiplier.
  • In Reverse Sheep questions, you can use your {sd} to turn the question into a sheep question for you. However, if your answer is wrong, it does nothing.
  • Slam dunks cannot be stacked. Use one per question only or else they will be discarded. You cannot use two slam dunks to turn a Reverse into a Sheep and then slam dunk those sheep answers.

Other reminders: Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers or the question itself. Do not forget your {sd}. Sometimes I notice and ask the player to re-send, and sometimes I don't, so to make things fair, if you forget to include them I won't be reminding you. If you submit more than 5 {sd}s, the first five will be accepted and all others discarded.

With all that out of the way ... I'll be there for you!!

1. All six Friends brought the funny. But which one of them was consistently the funniest?
2. Name an actor who played one of the Friends’ mothers.
3. Name an actor who played one of the Friends’ fathers.
4. REVERSE: Name one of the six Friends’ professions (profession and character name, please). Any legitimate job that the character had during the course of the show or referred to in their past counts. This has to be a real job that earned them a paycheck. So it cannot be Phoebe's stint as a mugger or Ross' attempts as a keyboardist or dancer. It must be something they were hired to do.
5. Ross and Monica weren’t the only siblings on the show. Name an actor or actress who played a sibling of one of the other four Friends.
6. Courtney Cox has starred in several movies and TV shows both before and after Friends. What is the best TV show or movie she has starred in outside of Friends?
7. Dating pool question: name a famous guest actor who played a character that dated Monica, Rachel or Phoebe.
8. REVERSE: Name a movie starring Jennifer Aniston. She must have played a significant role in the movie, either lead or supporting. Voice roles count as well. Cameos do not count. Must be an ACTING role, so any documentary type appearances (as "herself") do not count either.
9. Turnabout is fair play: name a famous guest actress who played a character that dated Ross, Chandler or Joey.
10. Name one of the Friends’ children.
11. Quotable quotes: give us a famous Friends quote.
12. REVERSE: Name an animal that one of the Friends had as a pet, even if only for one episode. Please name the type of animal as well as which Friend or Friends owned it. References to past pets (never seen on screen) are acceptable.
13. There were several weddings over the course of 10 seasons. But which couple had the most memorable/funniest wedding episode?
14. Most episodes took place in New York, but not all of them. Name another city that a Friends episode took place in.
15. Emmy Time: Name a Friend that was nominated for (and/or won) an Emmy for their acting work on Friends.
16. REVERSE: Name two Friends who kissed each other on the lips.
17. Almost every season ended on a cliff hanger. What was the most memorable Friends cliff hanger? (A brief description will suffice.)
18. Which of the six principal actors has had the best career outside of Friends?
19. Name a recurring character aside from the six Friends and Gunther.
20. REVERSE: Name an Oscar-nominated actor or actress who appeared on Friends.

Best of luck SHEEP!

Last edited by Mr. Flix; 07-16-16 at 07:28 AM.
Old 07-15-16, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The One with the Friends Trivia: A SHEEP GAME

YAY!!!!! I am definitely in, but won't be able to submit answers 'til this weekend.
Old 07-15-16, 01:09 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

in, i think...
Old 07-15-16, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Excellent questions. Glad I punted this one to you.
Old 07-15-16, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Questions about questions:

#4: is there a distinction between profession and job? How long will a character had to have had a particular job for it to be considered a profession (even if didn't last)?

#8: is any movie with Jennifer Aniston in it correct? That is, we're not getting into silly debates about what it really means to "star" again are we?

#12: If I don't know particular breed/type names, will just a description (that makes it clear what pet I'm talking about) be fine? And how will you handle answers that are really broad?

#16: Did the kiss have to appear on-screen? Or will an answer be correct if the tv viewers didn't see it, but it's clear it happened?

Sorry if this is seeming like me being a pain in the ass From having run games, I know how it's best to be as a clear as possible as soon as possible to save later headaches.
Old 07-15-16, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by brainee

#4: is there a distinction between profession and job? How long will a character had to have had a particular job for it to be considered a profession (even if didn't last)?

#8: is any movie with Jennifer Aniston in it correct? That is, we're not getting into silly debates about what it really means to "star" again are we?

#12: If I don't know particular breed/type names, will just a description (that makes it clear what pet I'm talking about) be fine? And how will you handle answers that are really broad?

#16: Did the kiss have to appear on-screen? Or will an answer be correct if the tv viewers didn't see it, but it's clear it happened?

Sorry if this is seeming like me being a pain in the ass From having run games, I know how it's best to be as a clear as possible as soon as possible to save later headaches.
- Any job, no matter how brief, counts as a profession.
- "Starring" means she had a significant role. Cameos do not count. Voice roles do. Supporting roles do.
- Describing the animal is fine. I'll ask for clarification if necessary. Hopefully no one will go broad.
- The kiss may be off screen, but confirmed to have actually happened at some point in time.
Old 07-15-16, 01:21 PM

for #18 are we talking critically or commercially?
Old 07-15-16, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[strikethrough]Will submit answers ... never watched much of this, so expecting a last-place finish[/strikethrough]

Looking at the questions again ... I really don't even know answers for many of them ... gonna sit this one out

Last edited by A-aron; 07-15-16 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-15-16, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by OldBoy
for #18 are we talking critically or commercially?
Both. ;-) Who has been the most successful, by whatever measure, outside of this show?
Old 07-15-16, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

#18 is a Sheep question anyway, so no wrong answers.
Old 07-15-16, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm rethinking #12. Please name the type of animal ans the Friend or Friends who owned it. Just saying "a parakeet" won't count.
Old 07-15-16, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
I'm rethinking #12. Please name the type of animal ans the Friend or Friends who owned it. Just saying "a parakeet" won't count.
i think the original phrasing is best. what kind of Pet? not animal...
Old 07-15-16, 01:44 PM

submitted Bitches!!
Old 07-15-16, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Can I BE anymore in?
Old 07-15-16, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm in for sure. Answers this weekend!
Old 07-15-16, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

Answers sent!
Old 07-15-16, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts

Is anyone else getting a pop-up ad on the Friends picture in the OP?
Old 07-15-16, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This should be as fun as "The one with the Embryos"
Old 07-15-16, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Raul3
This should be as fun as "The one with the Embryos"
That was the best episode ever in series.
Old 07-15-16, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Answers in!
Old 07-15-16, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm sending in answers for sure before the weekend is up. I need to think about it so I don't repeat my miserable showing in the last sheep game. It's tough because the show ended so long ago and I don't remember any discussion of it here. I have little idea of what the sheepy opinions about Friends are. Gamewise, this could be a disaster

Really good questions though

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
- Any job, no matter how brief, counts as a profession.
And I'm guessing you're wanting professions that the characters had during the run of the show (instead of something in their past that they talked about)? Or would that be considered a correct answer too?
Old 07-16-16, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And I'm guessing you're wanting professions that the characters had during the run of the show (instead of something in their past that they talked about)? Or would that be considered a correct answer too?
Old 07-16-16, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You facepalm, but you've played enough of these games to have seen far worse loophole attempts.
Old 07-16-16, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK: concerning the job question. Any legitimate job that the character had during the course of the show or referred to in their past counts. This has to be a real job that earned them a paycheck. So it cannot be Phoebe's stint as a mugger or Ross' attempts as a keyboardist or dancer. It must be something they were hired to do.

I added a few parameters to the job, pet, and "movies starring Jennifer Aniston" questions for clarification.

We have seven players so far. Hopefully we get a lot more before Monday.
Old 07-16-16, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You facepalm, but you've played enough of these games to have seen far worse loophole attempts.
Not reacting to the attempt, sir. Keep your "loopholes" to yourself or use PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.