Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Halt and Catch Fire (AMC) -- Season 3 Thread -- Mutiny rising on Aug 23, 2016!

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Halt and Catch Fire (AMC) -- Season 3 Thread -- Mutiny rising on Aug 23, 2016!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-16, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Re: Halt and Catch Fire (AMC) -- Season 3 Thread -- Mutiny rising on Aug 23, 2016!

I wonder what Joe would have done if Gordon took the 70% deal? I'm guessing he knew Gordon too well, and that he wouldn't take it no matter what.
Old 08-24-16, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts
Re: Halt and Catch Fire (AMC) -- Season 3 Thread -- Mutiny rising on Aug 23, 2016!

I guess Joe is the show's version of Peter Norton and MacMillan Utilities is Norton Utilities.

The show definitely brings back a lot of memories and nostalgia for that era of computers.

They're definitely down-playing the fashion of the 80s though. Some of the clothing and haircuts could pass for today's styles.

Anyone else find Kerry Bishé extremely hot?
Old 08-24-16, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

So basically the four main characters have created an IBM PC type computer, online gaming, chat rooms, virus protection software, and now Craigslist/Ebay/online commerce? Didn't Gordon create some kind of multiplexing for modems? Did I miss anything?

Last edited by windom; 08-24-16 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-24-16, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by windom
So basically the four main characters have created an IBM PC type computer, online gaming, chat rooms, virus protection software, and now Craigslist/Ebay/online commerce? Didn't Gordon create some kind of multiplexing for modems? Did I miss anything?

Yea, it's getting out of hand. Outside of the IBM PC, they created, invented or revolutionised some major computer technology - but can't seem to cash it into anything big.
Old 08-24-16, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
What's the skinny on this show?
Well, "Mad Men in the 80s" is a decent, 5-word summary... but it's not really accurate. Lee Pace plays "Joe MacMillan". MacMillan is kind of a Don Draper-esque type character: he worked for IBM, then quit under mysterious circumstances, disappeared for a year, then suddenly appeared at Cardiff Electric, a mainframe firm in Dallas. There he mesmerizes Gordon Clark (Scoot McNairy) an engineer who once had big dreams, only to become a 9-5er stuck in a rut thanks to the realities of having a family. Joe wants to make a revolutionary computer called the Giant, which will outperform IBM's PCs at a fraction of the price. Joe brings in "punk rock programmer" Cameron Howe (Mackenzie Davis), who, like all great artists, is single-minded and highly temperamental. The job of making the Giant is so big and consuming that it draws in Gordon's wife, Donna (Kerry Bishé), who worked at Texas Instruments at the beginning of the show. The plot of the first season is all about creating the Giant, although there's a lot of character development, twists, turns, etc. Most fans & critics agree that season 2 was significantly better, and that's because Cameron and Donna become the main characters, having started an online gaming service called Mutiny. Joe and Gordon are still around, and still play important parts, but it's mostly about the two women trying to create the new company and build it up. At the end of season 2, they decide to move from the Silicon Prairie to Silicon Valley, which is where season 3 starts.

I'm drawn to the show, having grown up in the early 80s with an Apple II+, a huge list of local BBSs, and having circa 1985 CompuServe email address that was something like 7599048.1517. Some of the anachronisms bug me - Cameron once refers to Digital Equipment Corporation as "dee-eee-see", instead of "deck", as everyone else in the world once did. Sometimes things get shoehorned in, even if not historically accurate, because they're relatable to modern viewers. Another poster complained about this season's talk about "computer viruses" and he\she is right to do so. Computer viruses were mostly a theoretical threat from the 1940s until the mid 80s. The first "major" virus outbreak wasn't until 1988... and season 3 is set in 1986. And, of course, like any show, some might have issues with pacing, story lines, and Joe's occasional Don Draper\True Detective inspired monologues. Still, I like the show, and especially like that the focus is on two women. I'm no feminist, and don't give a damn if this show "attempts to break the male patriarchy of TV". I just like the two actresses and hope their characters succeed.

Also, a fun little touch, spoilered if you haven't seen season 1:

Spoiler:
The company where season 1 is set is Cardiff Electric, commonly just called "Cardiff". The computer they wanna make is called the "Giant". The Cardiff Giant was one of the biggest hoaxes in American history: supposedly a 10 foot-tall petrified man found on a farm in Cardiff, New York. Based on the events at the end of season 1, you could also say the Cardiff Giant (computer) was also a hoax.

Originally Posted by mcnabb
You just needed a box of double sided floppy disks, and you were good to go.
And you could make those yourself with a pencil and a hole punch! Just put two disks back to back, trace the outline of the write-protection notch on the back of each disk, then cut it out with the hole punch!

Originally Posted by Coral
They're definitely down-playing the fashion of the 80s though. Some of the clothing and haircuts could pass for today's styles.
I agree. Unlike The Americans, which seemed like they were trying in season 1, but just didn't have the budget... this season (so far) seems like the costumers and set designers aren't even really trying. Again, it could be budget, though. Still, I like how they go to a bar or restaurant and no one - NO ONE - is smoking, even though it's 1986, and even California still had tons of smokers. Also, no one ever seems to wear band t-shirts, even though most of Mutiny are slackers that absolutely would have worn such shirts. They're not expensive.. hell, some online shops are still making the original designs from the 80s. Nothing would say "this is 1986" more than a Bauhaus or Black Flag t-shirt.

Anyone else find Kerry Bishé extremely hot?
Yes indeedy!

Last edited by Rex Fenestrarum; 08-24-16 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-24-16, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Also, did anyone else enjoy Bosworth singing Sinatra? I guess that's supposed to be a wink to his (uncredited) role as the Sinatra-singing fake ID salesman in Vegas Vacation?
Old 08-24-16, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought it was a solid start. I don't know if another season of Joe screwing people over will hold up (I think that might be where things are going again with the Mutiny employee jumping ship) but I like the Mutiny stuff, even if it isn't all that accurate.

Originally Posted by JTH182
I wonder what Joe would have done if Gordon took the 70% deal? I'm guessing he knew Gordon too well, and that he wouldn't take it no matter what.
He had to have known, but my guess is he could have put some sort of poison pill in a deal if he had to do it (can't sell his 70% stake for a while, equal decision making, etc....). Real time, I was wishing Gordon had actually called him on it, or asked for 80%.
Old 08-26-16, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Watched the 2nd episode last night, and I am really enjoying this season more then the first 2 seasons. From what I read the original creator left, so the 2 writers or producers from the first 2 seasons have taken over the direction of the show.

I think they sort of streamlined the plot so computer-dummies like me know what's going on now. I like the Donna/Cameron plotline of going business to business trying to get their ideas sold. Everytime they strike out, it makes you think if it's valid or are they a victim of sexism and aren't being taken seriously? And the guy was totally right that Donna was wearing too much lipstick for that presentation.

And I think they have totally given up on any 80's hairstyles/fads of that era other then dialogue. I noticed a few Star Wars references when Donna says, "We'll take them down like Alderran!" But Joe's new style is definitly not 1986! In some respects, I grew up in the 80's and can't stand those hair styles, so I like that they pretty much abandoned them.
Old 08-29-16, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

The best thing remaining about Halt and Catch Fire at this point is Toby Huss' genuine portrayal of Bosworth. It barely resembles the show I loved in season one.

It appears they are turning Joe into the Steve Jobs of viruses this season. Like others, I was hoping that we'd never hear about Gordon's health problems ever again.
Old 08-29-16, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Not loving the start so far.. Hoping it picks up a bit next few eps....
Old 08-31-16, 03:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

A good episode to flesh out the characters, I guess Joe and Ryan will make the Mutiny competitor that Swap Meet was supposed to represent.
Old 09-02-16, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Joe learning programming seems a little strange given his character. How much are they pulling from Steve Jobs' life now with Joe's character?
Old 09-02-16, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Joe learning programming seems a little strange given his character. How much are they pulling from Steve Jobs' life now with Joe's character?
In the first episode he worked with Gordon on the boot rom code for the IBM.
Old 09-02-16, 03:44 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

I'm enjoying this season so far. I miss the Texas setting a bit, and I think Bosworth will be moving back.

I LOVE Donna and Cameron, but Cameron is far more subdued in this season... we need to see more of her genius side again. Joe, Ryan, and Gordon are just not that interesting at this point. I think the actors are all phenomenal, but I just don't care about what they're doing, whereas I still care what Donna, Cameron, and Bosworth are up to.

If... IF this manages to get a 4th season, I'd be happy if it was just those three... and the coders.
Old 09-02-16, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Really enjoying this season too, as it's definitely become Donna's show. What's interesting is that she was the least compelling character when the show started (It seemed that the show wanted Joe and Cameron as the main focus), and now Donna is the best character on the show.

I think what keeps it from being a great show is they are never able to keep the 4 leads on an even keel as it seems when they focus on one character, another character suffers. But overall, I'm still enjoying this as one of my 'B' shows that I catch up on DVR during the weekend.
Old 09-14-16, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Um, why did they change the theme song?
Old 09-14-16, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

And why is Joe suddenly gay? Not an established facet of his character prior to moving to SF.
Old 09-14-16, 10:36 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

They WHAT??! Did this just happen this week? I haven't watched it yet, but the previous episodes still had the usual song.

Originally Posted by randian
And why is Joe suddenly gay? Not an established facet of his character prior to moving to SF.
Uh, yes it was.
Old 09-14-16, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, the theme song was slightly changed, but enough to notice. Do not like.

Joe was always bi.
Old 09-21-16, 03:26 PM

I am really liking this season, I think it's doing its best to weave character and tech.

Can't wait to see what happens now that Joe tanked.
Old 09-22-16, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This seemed inevitable with Joe's personality.

The good thing so far in season three is that the personal relationships haven't created the same kind of angst and drama we saw last season.
Old 09-22-16, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I welcome more Tom Waits songs in shows.

Glad we didn't see Gordon and Cameron develop any kind of relationship beyond friendship... at least so far. One thing worse than forcing a romance into a show is when they do it multiple times in an incestuous manner. For a second there I thought Cameron and Donna were gonna hook up on the grass.

So did the show fire their costume designer and just let the actors wear their regular clothes? Especially Joe - he looks like a model for a 2016 A&F catalogue.
Old 09-23-16, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Back to the original theme song! Yay!
Old 09-23-16, 09:41 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I welcome more Tom Waits songs in shows.
Old 09-28-16, 04:15 PM

Wow, that boardroom meeting vote was great, really strong and great TV.

Aside from not liking how the whole warez plot is now going to derail the Gordon and Joe plot, I thought this was one of the best episodes of the series, up there with the Giant reveal in season 1. I also really liked that scene with Gordon and Matthew Lillard and where it would go.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.