Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Night Of (HBO 8 episode limited series) S: John Turturro

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-13, 05:43 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts
The Night Of (HBO 8 episode limited series) S: John Turturro

EXCLUSIVE: HBO is carrying on James Gandolfini’s legacy with Criminal Justice. Oscar winner Robert De Niro has stepped in to take over the role originally played by the beloved Sopranos star in the pilot. De Niro is attached to act in Criminal Justice, a seven-hour miniseries, with Gandolfini remaining an executive producer posthumously. (HBO previously greenlighted Criminal Justice with Gandolfini as a seven-part limited series in May). Steven Zaillian, who has been shepherding the project for over four years, is set to direct the first hour. Richard Price wrote Criminal Justice based on the BBC series created by Peter Moffat. On the mini, produced by HBO in association with BBC Worldwide Prods., Film Rites and Tribeca Films, De Niro joins originally cast Riz Ahmed, Bill Camp, Payman Maadi and Poorna Jagannathan. Production is eyed to begin in March.

It was unclear in the immediate aftermath of Gandolfini’s untimely June death in Rome whether HBO would proceed with Criminal Justice. But because Gandolfini had been so committed and passionate about the project, which he was getting ready to start filming upon his return from Rome, the network and Zaillian began exploring ways to do Criminal Justice in his honor. The New York crime story centers on an ambulance-chasing New York City attorney, the role originally played by Gandolfini, who gets in over-his-head when he takes on the case of a Pakistani (Ahmed) accused of murdering a girl on the Upper West Side. While the lawyer part is central to the overall story, in the pilot the character only appears in the final scene. That led to discussions between HBO and Zaillian about recasting the part, not an easy task as I hear the network and Zaillian were looking for a great actor whom Gandolfini would have wanted for the role and who would honor Gandolfini’s memory with his performance. I hear their list consisted of one name only, Robert De Niro, who responded and came on board.

Criminal Justice is executive produced by Gandolfini, Zaillian, Price, Moffat, BBC Worldwide’s Jane Tranter and Tribeca’s Jane Rosenthal, with Film Rites’ Garrett Basch and Attaboy’s Mark Armstrong and Nancy Sanders serving as co-executive producers and Berry Welsh as co-producer.
I thought there was an existing thread about Criminal Justice, but I looked and looked and could not find.

This is awesome news.
Old 09-25-13, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Robert De Niro Succeeds James Gandolfini In HBO Miniseries ‘Criminal Justice’

In death Gandalfini has arguably got to the point where Deniro and Pacino are the only two Italian actors/stars worthy of replacing him. Anyone else would be a downgrade in the eyes of most and I'm glad they got one of them.
Old 09-25-13, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Re: Robert De Niro Succeeds James Gandolfini In HBO Miniseries ‘Criminal Justice’

Sounds awesome.
Old 09-25-13, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
In death Gandalfini has arguably got to the point where Deniro and Pacino are the only two Italian actors/stars worthy of replacing him. Anyone else would be a downgrade in the eyes of most and I'm glad they got one of them.
Well put.
Old 09-25-13, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

De Niro in a TV series. I'm so there.

I heard that Gandolfini does make a brief appearance in the Pilot, so some if it will have to be re-shot.
Old 04-21-14, 05:24 PM

John Turturro To Replace Robert De Niro As James Gandolfini’s Successor In HBO Mini ‘Criminal Justice’: http://www.deadline.com/2014/04/john...minal-justice/

Eh... like Turturro...but was really looking forward to seeing De Niro on TV.
Old 04-21-14, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: John Turturro To Replace Robert De Niro in HBO's "Criminal Justice"

http://www.deadline.com/2014/04/john...edium=facebook

Bad news. Robert De Niro dropped out.

John Turturro was cast as the lead instead.

Never been a fan of Turturro. This went from must see, to meh wait and see what the shot footage looks like.
Old 04-21-14, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: John Turturro To Replace Robert De Niro/James Gandolfini in HBO's "Criminal Justi

You don't fuck with the HBO
Old 04-21-14, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Re: John Turturro To Replace Robert De Niro/James Gandolfini in HBO's "Criminal Justi

I'm not a Turturro fan, either. The only thing I ever liked him in was Robert Redford's '21', and only because he plays 'smug' pretty well.

I wonder if Turturro got this because of his history with Gandolfini (he directed a movie James was in, and - of course - John's cousin was a cast member on THE SOPRANOS).
Old 04-21-14, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm a big Turturro fan, he might be my favorite actor, but what a huge missed opportunity for DeNiro.
Old 04-22-14, 12:37 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, HBO would be a step up from where DeNiro's film career is currently free falling from. Must be tough for a guy like him to see Scorsese basically replace him with his current muse Dicaprio in every film he does.

I love Turturro's work with the Coen brothers, I think he's a decent actor, he'll be fine in this role.
Old 04-22-14, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

I'm a big Turturro fan, he might be my favorite actor, but what a huge missed opportunity for DeNiro.
Maybe he got offered another Fockers movie?

Is De Niro's skills really diminishing where people won't work with him anymore or is he just going for the easy money and not doing films for the art anymore?

I thought it was just a coincidence Scorsese is working with Leo and not because Scorsese thinks De Niro has lost it.
Old 03-11-16, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk God

The show has a new title. It's now called "The Night Of" : http://deadline.com/2016/03/james-ga...re-1201718731/

Will premiere this Summer. Exact date TBA.

John Turturro and Riz Ahmed star in the eight-parter, based on Peter Moffat’s Criminal Justice drama series that aired on the BBC in 2008-2009. Steven Zaillian directs and Richard Price is penning the script.

Turturro took over the role of Jack Stone, a downtrodden jailhouse attorney who frequents police stations for clients, initially to be played by Gandolfini, in 2014. Robert De Niro committed to succeeding the Sopranos star in the role shortly after Gandolfini’s death, but had to pull out because of scheduling reasons in fall 2013. Gandolfini has a posthumous executive producer credit on the series.

Filmed in and around Manhattan, the series delves into the intricacies of a complex New York City murder case with cultural and political overtones. The story examines the police investigation, the legal proceedings, the criminal justice system and “the feral purgatory of Rikers Island,” per HBO, where the accused await trial for felony crimes. Zaillian directs parts 1-3 and 5-8 from teleplays co-written with Price. They executive produce with Jane Tranter and Moffat. James Marsh directs part 4.

The ensemble cast includes The Wire‘s Michael Kenneth Williams, ER‘s Glenne Headly, and The Sopranos’ Max Casella, along with Bill Camp, Jeannie Berlin, Poorna Jagannathan, Payman Maadi, Amara Karan, Sofia Black-D’Elia, Paul Sparks, Ben Shenkman, Afton Williamson, Paulo Costanzo, Ned Eisenberg, Mohammad Bakri, Nabil Elouahabi, Ashley Thomas, Glenn Fleshler and Chip Zien.
Old 03-12-16, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This looks like it could be a nice replacement for True Detective this yea, as it deals with one main case

I wonder what film De Niro couldn't get out of? It would be really bad if it was one of those 'dumped on vod with a 5 theater run' movies he seems to do on occaision
Old 06-26-16, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Night Of (HBO limited - 8 episodes series)

The Night Of is an American eight-part HBO television miniseries based on Criminal Justice, a 2008–09 British television series. The miniseries was written by Richard Price and Steven Zaillian, and multiple episodes were directed by Zaillian. The Night Of will premiere on July 10, 2016. The first episode premiered early on June 24, 2016, via HBO on-demand.
First episode is On-Demand, and HBO-Go/Now of course.

We watched it last night and looks interesting, but will post more later after more people watch it.
Old 06-26-16, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: The Night Of (HBO limited - 8 episodes series)

I watched it last night and loved it. It just sucks we have to wait until 7/15 for the next episode. I already have a theory, but like you I'll wait until more people have seen it to post it.

James Gandolfini was orginally supposed to play the John Turturro role. I couldn't help but picture him in the role as I was watching last night. They ended up giving him an EP credit.
Old 06-26-16, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dino88
James Gandolfini was orginally supposed to play the John Turturro role. I couldn't help but picture him in the role as I was watching last night. They ended up giving him an EP credit.
Oh, I didn't know that. In the few minutes that John Turturro was there, I thought he was perfect.
Old 06-26-16, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Raul3
Oh, I didn't know that. In the few minutes that John Turturro was there, I thought he was perfect.
I thought he was great as well. It was just hard not to imagine Gandolfini in the role. After he died, Robert De Niro was attached to the role before he had to drop out due to a scheduling conflict. Looking at his credits since 2014, I'm not too sure he made the right decision.
Old 06-30-16, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If anyone cares Riz Ahmed was guy who tagged along with Jake Gyllenhaal in Nightcrawler.

What a nightmare for Naz assuming he is innocent. He has to wait in that car while they search the apartment and he is stuck in a police station all night or who knows how long with no contact with his parents.

Maybe a jealous boyfriend is responsible?

I like this more than the People vs OJ.
Old 07-01-16, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Turturro is great in that first episode, but it would've been fascinating to see Gandolfini doing that kind of character.
Old 07-01-16, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't get the hate for Turturro.

At least it is not Channing Tatum or Chris Hemsworth or some other no talent loser playing that role.
Old 07-03-16, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Watched the first episode today...it was great. I love that as events unfold you can see all the things the kid is doing that he's going to get nailed for later by the cops. They also do a nice job in suggesting about a half dozen people who MAY be involved in the crime...whether those are all just red herrings or not, who knows - but it's fun to watch.

Oh, and I noticed that I was one of those who posted about Turturro a couple years back. So far, so good - he's exceptional in this.
Old 07-03-16, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dino88
I watched it last night and loved it. It just sucks we have to wait until 7/15 for the next episode. I already have a theory, but like you I'll wait until more people have seen it to post it.
Does your theory involve
Spoiler:
the hearse driver?
Because I subscribe to the theory of 'pointless characters' - meaning if you see a pointless character early on in a mystery, chances are he/she isn't pointless at all.
Old 07-03-16, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Does your theory involve
Spoiler:
the hearse driver?
Because I subscribe to the theory of 'pointless characters' - meaning if you see a pointless character early on in a mystery, chances are he/she isn't pointless at all.
No, my theory involves the
Spoiler:
cat. I'm not sure how it will all play out in court (leaving the door unlocked for the real killer to enter may be part of it), but I think her cat that she put outside right before the murder will end up being what will acquit him (or a major part of it). I was thinking this while it happened and then the last scene of the episode solidified it for me. Right after the father went outside and saw that his taxi was missing, a cat ran across the street...and credits.

I think the most obvious killer is the guy he confronted in front of the apartment that stared them down as they went inside (not the one that went to police station, but his friend). But that could just be a red herring.

I was thinking the hearse driver would just end up being a witness at the trial.

Last edited by dino88; 07-03-16 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-04-16, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have theories too!

Spoiler:

The kid did it. Drugs are bad, you know.
But then the police remind me of Making a Murderer. The kid is innocent of course!

So my next candidate is the neighbor. Some things he said, or how he acted didn't make any sense.

It may end being, like in real life, someone close to her. The way she was killed, that much violence, is someone that really hated her, had something against her. Not a casual encounter, or something like that. Someone that really knew her.

Last edited by Raul3; 07-06-16 at 12:17 PM. Reason: I'm a noob.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.