DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Late Late Show with James Corden (CBS) -- Discussion Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/634990-late-late-show-james-corden-cbs-discussion-thread.html)

Mike86 03-25-15 09:20 AM

Re: The Craig Ferguson Appreciation Thread

I got shit a while back in this thread for predicting that CBS was going to turn Corden's show into a more mainstream friendly show influenced by other popular late night shows like Jimmy Fallon but it seems that I was about right thus far. Granted its only the second night into the Corden's run but it feels like a completely different show. I didn't expect it to be exactly the same as the Ferguson years but I hoped it would be somewhat similar and keep some of the uniqueness. I still plan to watch a bit of it on occasion but so far I don't really feel like its for me.

windom 03-25-15 10:51 AM

Isn't there a new thread for the new Late Late Show host? If not, someone should probably create one since most of the posts I'm seeing here don't have anything to do with Craig Ferguson. Or is this the de facto Late Late Show thread?

Mike86 03-25-15 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by windom (Post 12432423)
Isn't there a new thread for the new Late Late Show host? If not, someone should probably create one since most of the posts I'm seeing here don't have anything to do with Craig Ferguson. Or is this the de facto Late Late Show thread?

There's not a thread currently. This thread sort of became The Late Late Show catch all thread in the past few months since Ferguson announced his departure.

pinata242 03-25-15 11:32 AM

Hating on James Corden is, in a way, appreciating Craig Ferguson which is what this thread is about.

Mike86 03-25-15 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 12432466)
Hating on James Corden is, in a way, appreciating Craig Ferguson which is what this thread is about.

:lol: I wouldn't say that I hate Corden. He seems like a nice guy and stuff like that and I think he's trying his best. I'm just not a fan of the new format of the show and him as a host. It seems like the show is trying too hard to be hip. Which I think a lot of the new breed of late night shows do now days to be honest.

XKalino 03-25-15 11:58 AM

The new guy would be easier to warm up to if he was replacing Fallon or Meyers.

Anyone else getting their Ferguson fix through the Celebrity Name Game? His talent is wasted on it,the time slot is pretty terrible..still a fun watch.

Perkinsun Dzees 04-02-15 03:03 AM

Great April Fools prank by Katie Couric

aktick 04-24-15 12:18 AM

I'm actually really enjoying Corden's "interviews" with all guests at once.

JeffTheAlpaca 04-24-15 02:15 AM

It is on CBS so it sucks :)

mcnabb 04-24-15 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by aktick (Post 12461691)
I'm actually really enjoying Corden's "interviews" with all guests at once.

I think this is a horrible I idea as I watched his show the other night with Courtney Cox, Oscar Isaac, and Joel McHale and was just so disjointed. McHale kept chiming in with jokes and you could see Cox and Isaac were uncomfortable because he's not THAT funny to take over a show.

As for Corden, he is just another nail in the coffin for late night TV for me as I have no desire to tune in for any of these hosts (Fallon, Meyers, Kimmel, and eventually Colbert), other then when they get an 'A' list star on who I'm interested in.

aintnosin 04-24-15 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by mcnabb (Post 12461758)
I think this is a horrible I idea as I watched his show the other night with Courtney Cox, Oscar Isaac, and Joel McHale and was just so disjointed.

It works very well on the Graham Norton Show, so it's probably not the format, but Corden's lack of ability to make it work.

Mike86 04-24-15 02:48 PM

I think the new format for interviews is hit and miss personally. It really depends on how well the guests mesh not only with Corden but with each other. I think this early on with Corden not having a lot of experience it's probably hurting it a bit and I feel like he should have grown into the role more before trying something like he's doing. It also sort of feels like they're trying a bit too hard to make the show seem unique.

arminius 04-25-15 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by aintnosin (Post 12462123)
It works very well on the Graham Norton Show, so it's probably not the format, but Corden's lack of ability to make it work.

Norton is very good at making it work. It really is on the host to do so.

dex14 06-21-16 09:35 AM

Re: The Late Late Show with James Corden (CBS) -- Discussion Thread

I looked for a thread about Corden but didn't see one. I moved what I could from the Craig Ferguson thread and started this one. If there are other discussions let me know and I can merge. Anyway...

Does this guy do anything except Carpool Karaoke?? All I see every other day in the news is a new edition. I don't watch the show and don't have a real opinion on him, but is this just a constant attempt to stay trending and build a broader fanbase?

DWilson 06-21-16 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 12831828)
I looked for a thread about Corden but didn't see one. I moved what I could from the Craig Ferguson thread and started this one. If there are other discussions let me know and I can merge. Anyway...

Does this guy do anything except Carpool Karaoke?? All I see every other day in the news is a new edition. I don't watch the show and don't have a real opinion on him, but is this just a constant attempt to stay trending and build a broader fanbase?

These viral bits (if that's what we should call them) from Corden , Fallon and the other hosts get the attention from viewers (like myself) who don't otherwise bother with their shows. So, yeah, it broadens the awareness base. Also, I understand Corden is following Fallon's lead and developing "Carpool" as a series (ala "Lip Sync Battle").

Giantrobo 06-21-16 12:56 PM

^Yeah...I guess I really hadn't paid attention to this show until the Singing With Adele video went around. I don't watch his show live but I do check out all his videos on the show's official youtube. His singing in the car bits are great because clearly he can sing and dance and just has fun.

Superman07 06-21-16 01:47 PM

He has some good videos too where he acts out all films from a filmography with the star. He's done Tom Hanks and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

JeffTheAlpaca 06-22-16 04:02 AM

Norton is very good at making it work. It really is on the host to do so.
He has the advantage since he has a built in laugh track for every joke he tells or attempt to be funny.

Maybe off topic but when I saw bits of the Talk and the Wendy Williams show it feels so fake since the audience is clapping on almost any word the hosts says. At least you don't get that on the late night shows where it feels more real.

People say Fallon fawns over his guest but Corden does the same thing too and probably more.

coli 06-22-16 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 12831828)

Does this guy do anything except Carpool Karaoke??

What's funny is that all of the stars are jumping on the bandwagon now (I think I saw Julia Roberts and George Clooney doing it with Corden), but it will get old real quick and then nobody will want to do it.

I don't understand how anybody thinks this guy is remotely funny but most of the people I know who like him are female so he is probably playing to that audience. I miss Craig Ferguson as he was the last of the non-phony Late Night Hosts, as everything is so pre-packaged today is nauseating.

andicus 06-22-16 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by coli (Post 12832854)
What's funny is that all of the stars are jumping on the bandwagon now (I think I saw Julia Roberts and George Clooney doing it with Corden), but it will get old real quick and then nobody will want to do it.

I don't understand how anybody thinks this guy is remotely funny but most of the people I know who like him are female so he is probably playing to that audience. I miss Craig Ferguson as he was the last of the non-phony Late Night Hosts, as everything is so pre-packaged today is nauseating.

I really enjoyed his character in Gavin & Stacey, but have no interest in him as a host. Same thing happened with Leno. These shows somehow make people uninteresting, though that is not always the case.

Mike86 06-22-16 09:49 AM

While I think a lot of the appeal to Craig Ferguson's version of the show was how simply made and cheap it seemed I have to wonder if CBS really wasn't giving him money to do more things or if that's how he wanted it. I mean the biggest things that he was able to do were the trips to Paris and Scotland. It seems like Corden gets to do a lot more and definitely seems to have a bigger budget. Seems a bit odd that Ferguson was on the air for ten years and only got an upgraded studio towards the end of his run yet Corden gets a fancy set and the ability to do a lot of on location segments pretty much right off the bat.

GuessWho 06-22-16 10:07 AM

Perhaps losing Letterman's salary opened up the late night purse strings a bit.

JeffTheAlpaca 06-22-16 05:16 PM

I miss Craig Ferguson as he was the last of the non-phony Late Night Hosts, as everything is so pre-packaged today is nauseating.
They have to do that since probably none of the guests will ever say anything or do interesting if there is no rehearsal or pre-planning.

movieking 06-23-16 08:13 AM

I much prefer Drop The Mic to Carpool Karaoke, links below (can't embed):

Anne Hathaway

David Schwimmer & Rebel Wilsonr

Kevin Hart

mwbmis 07-21-16 06:55 AM

I don't usually watch Corden, but this was on when I flipped on the TV last night.