DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Late Late Show with James Corden (CBS) -- Discussion Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/634990-late-late-show-james-corden-cbs-discussion-thread.html)

windom 08-05-14 01:57 PM

The Late Late Show with James Corden (CBS) -- Discussion Thread

James Corden to take over for Craig Ferguson???

http://tvline.com/2014/08/05/james-c...n-replacement/

I hope he doesn't go by "Jimmy".

Rypro 525 08-05-14 02:16 PM

Re: The Craig Ferguson Appreciation Thread

aka this guy
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV...640_SY720_.jpg

philo 08-05-14 03:56 PM

Well that certainly came out of left field. He did play a guy named Craig on several eps of Doctor Who so there is some tenuous connection there.

When Aisha Tyler was on the show she sounded desperately like she wanted the gig.

Darknite39 08-05-14 04:00 PM

Left field, indeed. I wasn't expecting another white guy (not that it matters to me, as long as the host brings something special to the show, but there certainly were expectations they'd go another way).

Does anyone know anything about this guy?

JeffTheAlpaca 09-09-14 05:11 AM

Who?

Maybe I saw him hosting the 2014 Brit Awards on FUSE.

CBS will replace the quirky Craig Ferguson in its post-midnight “Late Late Show” with British actor James Corden, in what looks to be the last – at least for now – of a major series of talent shifts in wee-hours programming set off in large part by David Letterman’s decision to leave his CBS roost some time next year.

In doing so, CBS is likely hoping the new host’s experience in British TV and Broadway will help expand the appeal of “The Late Late Show” despite competition.

On NBC, “Late Night with Seth Meyers” gets a heady lead-in from the new “Tonight,” helmed by Jimmy Fallon, and also enjoys a wide level of recognition from the host’s years on “Saturday Night Live.”

Both have helped his program win move viewers overall and more in the advertiser-coveted 18-to-49 demographic than “Late Late Show.” On ABC, “Nightline” has also often outmaneuvered its CBS counterpart in its first half hour.

Corden was the co-creator of U.K. sitcom “Gavin & Stacey,” about a long-distance romantic relationship, which ran for three cycles over 20 episodes. He won a BAFTA Television Award for Best Comedy Performance for his effort as one of the show’s co-stars. Corden, whose middle name is Kimberley, was also one of the forces behind the ill-fated sketch show “Horne and Corden,” which aired for a little while in 2009.He is also one of the creators behind “The Wrong Mans,” a comedic series about two regular guys who get caught up in a web of intrigue and conspiracy, that has been available on both the BBC and Hulu.

Yet it is the theater, perhaps, that has made him better known to global audiences. In 2011 and 2012, he starred in the play “One Man, Two Guvnors” and went from the National Theatre to the West End to Broadway, winning the 2012 Tony for “Best Actor in a Play.”

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/jame...ot-1201295917/

http://images.thehollywoodgossip.com...mes-corden.jpg

mnementh 09-16-14 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 12227239)
Who?

He's Stormageddon's dad on Doctor Who.

Jackskeleton 09-16-14 06:34 AM

He's also a complete dick

andicus 09-16-14 09:26 AM

I like both actors, but there were two dicks in that clip.

pinata242 09-16-14 11:03 AM

Yikes. Embarrassing for everyone.

dex14 09-16-14 11:08 AM

Is that clip real? And not a staged gag?

DRG 09-16-14 12:17 PM

They made up.

B.A. 09-16-14 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by philo (Post 12190630)
Well that certainly came out of left field. He did play a guy named Craig on several eps of Doctor Who so there is some tenuous connection there.

When Aisha Tyler was on the show she sounded desperately like she wanted the gig.

I think Tyler would be a great host.

dolphinboy 09-16-14 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by andicus (Post 12236264)
I like both actors, but there were two dicks in that clip.

I don't like this choice, I think even Aisha Tyler made far more sense, but Stewart was the bigger ass in that clip.

pinata242 12-16-14 11:58 AM

Oh shit. I just found out that I'm older than James Corden by a few months. I wasn't ready to cross that late night host threshold :(

philo 02-02-15 06:20 PM

From the wiki for Corden's Late Late Show

- there will be a house band led by Comedy Bang Bang's Reggie Watts
- title sequence directed by J.J. Abrams with music by Mark Ronson
- One Direction scheduled to be a guest
- debut pushed to March 23 so CBS can promote it during March Madness

Mike86 02-02-15 06:28 PM

Honestly I'm not the biggest fan of Reggie Watts. I saw him live as part of Conan's Legally Prohibited from Being Funny on Television Tour and have caught him on episodes of Conan and Comedy Bang! Bang! and he just doesn't do much for me.

Rypro 525 02-03-15 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by philo (Post 12384156)
From the wiki for Corden's Late Late Show

- there will be a house band led by Comedy Bang Bang's Reggie Watts
- title sequence directed by J.J. Abrams with music by Mark Ronson
- One Direction scheduled to be a guest
- debut pushed to March 23 so CBS can promote it during March Madness

yeah get one direction, a group nobody but teenage girls like as one of the first guests

mnementh 03-24-15 11:08 AM

The Late Late Show with James Corden (CBS)

Did anyone watch the new show? I liked the comedy bits but the monologue and the interview were clumsy all around.

pinata242 03-24-15 11:12 AM

I'm about to watch it, but I'm not surprised. Seth Meyers was very clumsy in the beginning too despite years on SNLWU. He's grown comfortably into his new show. I'm willing to give James a few weeks/months of "in the background" watching before I write him off.

Mike86 03-24-15 11:12 AM

I forgot about it but was going to give it a chance. I dunno from what I've seen of Corden in other things I'm not much of a fan to be honest.

pinata242 03-24-15 11:52 AM

I think it was a fine start. I do love me some Reggie Watts, though. I hope his "question for the guest" is a permanent bit like it was on Comedy Bang! Bang!

I do agree that the comedy bits were the highlight, so it'll be telling how they manage without an 8-minute, star-studded pre-taped segment going forward. The Tom Hanks montage was very well done!

Not sure why they pointed out the bar in the studio and I don't think I'll be a fan of the WWE-style guest entrances.

aintnosin 03-24-15 12:01 PM

I am a fan of the interview format, with everyone on the couch at once, a la Graham Norton.

Corden laughed too much at himself and he has an annoying laugh.

Mike86 03-24-15 05:50 PM

So I tried watching a bit of Corden and it isn't for me I don't think. I'll tune in on occasion just to see if he gets better but it's everything that Ferguson's show wasn't. Flashy set, seems more mainstream friendly, has a bar on set (wtf?), and overall doesn't feel much different than other late night shows. Corden seems fairly likable admittedly but his style just doesn't do it for me. I also am not a fan of Reggie Watts so his presence isn't helping matters. Overall a disappointment to me but I didn't expect it to live up to the Ferguson era.

Perkinsun Dzees 03-24-15 06:32 PM

I thought it was a decent first show although Corden doesn't seem very interesting as a host the way that Fergy was. He's definitely nowhere near as quick on his feet as Craig was (the story he told to Mila about getting upset at someone taking his picture was too long and drawn out). Before, people would tune in just to watch Craig regardless of his guests. I don't think many people will tune in just to watch Corden if he has boring guests on.

I can see the Norton-esque interview format (if they continue forward with it) working well on some nights and not so well on others. It worked well with Hanks because he's a very lively and witty guest. Might not work too well with less dynamic people. And Corden isn't the host that Graham Norton is.

The opening bit with all the celeb cameos felt like a subpar version of a Kimmel skit, but the Hanks-Corden movie "montage" was inspired fun.

mnementh 03-25-15 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 12431427)
I don't think I'll be a fan of the WWE-style guest entrances.

I don't like the dressing room intros or Corden's pronunciation of Los Angeles. Tonight's skit with Arquette and Pine felt too much like a Jimmy Fallon segment.