Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Preacher (S1E03) -- "The Possibilities" -- 6/12/16

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-16, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts
Re: Preacher (S1E03) -- "The Possibilities" -- 6/12/16

Honestly, I never liked Tulip much in the comics.
Old 06-15-16, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by banthafett
I just ordered the 6 books (collections) from amazon, because I have no clue what the fuck is going on.

Please tell me JEH will have a bigger role, main reason we are watching.

Tulip actress is awful and very boring looking. Show comes to a screeching halt when she is involved.
After reading the comics when they were originally released and then watching the first 3 episodes of this show i suggest you just stick with the books. The stories are amazing and i believe it to the greatest comic series of all time. The TV show started off ok, got a little better and now looks like its going to be a waste of time. Setting the story in once place along with Ruth Negga are destroying this show fast. Just so many stupid reasons put in place to keep the budget down. The makeup for Arseface is awful, especially compared to the other version that is kicking around the net (that i think was done as a test for the proposed HBO show when Sam Mendes was involved way back when), if that is Herr Star we saw this week then thats a massive letdown. The guy is a military hard ass, bot some small time business man. Even the Saint of Killers so far looks to be disappointing from the little we have seen. In the books he is like 7 feet talk and looks incredibly imposing. Here he just seems like a typical extra from a Clint cowboy flick.

I am very close to giving up on this show. Ruth Negga is just horrible, horrible, horrible. Reading comments from Harry Knowles on how people will fall in love with the character really makes me laugh. How out of touch is that guy? And by out of touch i am nor referring to large cakes, as i am sure he has his grubby mitts on those most of the time. A scene such as the one where she gets stopped by the cop for speeding could have had the shit acted out of it by a decent actress, but with her it just felt like nails on a chalk board. The cop pulling a gun and blowing her brains out would have been the better resolution. Just awful. Oh, and i just noticed a comment along the lines that Negga is hot. NO!!!!NO NO NO NO NO!!!!! She is ugly as hell. Her face is closer to the comics Arseface than the TV version of Arseface. She fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down landing in a large barrel of ugly.
Old 06-15-16, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
if that is Herr Star we saw this week then thats a massive letdown. The guy is a military hard ass, bot some small time business man. Even the Saint of Killers so far looks to be disappointing from the little we have seen. In the books he is like 7 feet talk and looks incredibly imposing. Here he just seems like a typical extra from a Clint cowboy flick.
While I do agree with some of your post, I singled out this bit, as we haven't seen enough of either character to form ANY kind of opinion.

I spoilered, for the sake of those that haven't read the comics:

Spoiler:

We see Starr only briefly at the snuff film festival. Not sure where you get the idea that he is a small time business man? Unless i missed something?

And for Saint of Killers - all shots of him were from perspectives where we couldn't even see his size, aside from the closeup of his face at the end. Also remember, we've only seen him in the past (prior to his death), not as any kind of current supernatural entity. The actor is 6'2", not huge, but i'm sure they can make him look physically imposing.
Old 06-15-16, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
Oh, and i just noticed a comment along the lines that Negga is hot. NO!!!!NO NO NO NO NO!!!!! She is ugly as hell. Her face is closer to the comics Arseface than the TV version of Arseface. She fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down landing in a large barrel of ugly.
I'm really baffled by this comment. She's easily the worst part of the show, terribly miscast as Tulip, and doing a generally poor job of acting out whatever character she's supposed to be (because it sure as hell isn't Tulip), but she's quite pretty.
Old 06-17-16, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoyed it. I watch the show when it first airs by myself, and then again a few days later with a group of other people, and I find that I like the show a lot better the 2nd time around. Jokes are funnier, the random scene changes make sense since you know they are coming, catch whatever the hell Cassidy is saying, and everyone around me has a great time.

Like, by myself I don't care for the Tulip character, but the women in the group love her and think she's great, so I find myself liking her more. I sorta get why comic fans don't like her, since she's not the character we expected, but she does bring a different energy to the character.

I also find myself being "that guy" who read the Game of Thrones books who watches the show with people who never did and explains everything to death.
Old 06-17-16, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

I rarely bail on shows even when i probably should....but based on the boring 1st ep and comments about what has happened so far... I don't think I'm going to even bother with ep 2. Maybe I'll wait till it hits Netflix or Hulu. Too Bad
Old 06-17-16, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Negga
Old 06-17-16, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I rarely bail on shows even when i probably should....but based on the boring 1st ep and comments about what has happened so far... I don't think I'm going to even bother with ep 2. Maybe I'll wait till it hits Netflix or Hulu. Too Bad
I think people are being a bit harsh on the show here, maybe mixing in a bit of confirmation bias. In general, both critic reviews and people's responses have been generally good.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/preacher/s01/

Critics 92%, Audience 88%