Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

America's Got Talent (NBC) -- Season 11 Thread -- now with Simon Cowell

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-16, 10:12 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
America's Got Talent (NBC) -- Season 11 Thread -- now with Simon Cowell

"America's Got Talent," the #1 most-watched alternative summer show for the past 10 years, will premiere on Tuesday, May 31 at 8-10 p.m. The series will shift back to Los Angeles this season. The show's 11th season will be highlighted by new judge Simon Cowell, who created the "Got Talent" format that first launched with "AGT" in 2006. It is now the most successful TV format of all time. The past season of "America's Got Talent" on NBC averaged a 2.9 rating, 10 share in adults 18-49 and 12.5 million viewers overall with its Tuesday edition and delivered its most-watched season in four years.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Heidi Klum as Judge
· Howie Mandel as Judge
· Melanie Brown as Judge
· Nick Cannon as Host
· Simon Cowell as Judge

Read more: Listings - AMERICA'S GOT TALENT on NBC | TheFutonCritic.com http://thefutoncritic.com/listings/2...#ixzz4AFLwTj5y
Old 05-31-16, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Re: America's Got Talent (NBC) -- Season 11 Thread -- now with Simon Cowell

No thanks. Cowell's schtick grew tired many years ago. Plus, his scheming to take Stern's spot has completely turned me off of it.
Old 05-31-16, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

What scheming did Simon do to take Stern's spot? It was Stern's decision not to do another season..or so he says. Simon is a producer on the show so he can really do whatever he wants within the limits of whatever contract they signed with Stern.

Stern did not bring the huge ratings bump they were hoping for when he joined. Hopefully, the ratings go through the roof now that America's [grumpiest] judge is gone.
Old 05-31-16, 11:39 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
No thanks. Cowell's schtick grew tired many years ago. Plus, his scheming to take Stern's spot has completely turned me off of it.
This.

Plus, last year they showed so little of the stupid acts. No Thanks.
Old 05-31-16, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by windom
What scheming did Simon do to take Stern's spot? It was Stern's decision not to do another season..or so he says. Simon is a producer on the show so he can really do whatever he wants within the limits of whatever contract they signed with Stern.

Stern did not bring the huge ratings bump they were hoping for when he joined. Hopefully, the ratings go through the roof now that America's [grumpiest] judge is gone.
Ratings did go up. Look for the Sony emails from Simon. Everything you need is in there.
Old 05-31-16, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's funny. My reaction is the exact opposite. With Stern gone, I can finally add the show back into my summer viewing.
Old 05-31-16, 04:40 PM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts

I started watching AGT the first year Howard Stern was one (huge fan of his), and it easily became my favorite thing to watch while high as a kite. I mean, EVERY ACT WAS AMAZING ha ha!

But with Stern gone, I really don't know if I'll find the same enjoyment I did while he was on. I can't think of one act that he loved or put through the that I disagreed with him on. But I am going to give this a try... I have never watched a show Simon has been the judge on (no American Idol, no X-Factor), but I definitely am familiar with his "schtick." Guess I better start lighting up now, ha!

Update: Am I'm in the right mindset now. Let's do this.

Last edited by Matto1020; 05-31-16 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-31-16, 07:35 PM

Maybe I'm a bit biased, but man is Simon coming off terribly. He looks like he has ZERO interest in being there, and all his "one-liners" and jokes are coming off so forced. The one where he kept cracking himself up by simply trying to say "It's like you saw your dog and wanted to dance."

Say what you will about Stern... but he was so much better based off this first 30 minutes. Sure, during terrible acts he looked more annoyed than anything else, but when something came on that he really appreciated, you knew he enjoyed doing what he was doing. And he took it seriously while still coming off as kind of charming.
Old 05-31-16, 08:29 PM

Holy shit... TapeFace was BRILLIANT! I mean, the oven mits came out, and I immediately thought, "Oh boy... here we go." Then within 10 seconds, I was sold. But then the Lady In Red! Hopefully he doesn't blow it in the next round... he's like the new Pip the Dragon!

Oh, and Kenichi Ebina 2.0 was also amazing. Two best acts thus far.
Old 05-31-16, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Holy shit. Just happened to flip by on the final act with the 13yo girl. That's going to be trending tomorrow.
Old 05-31-16, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I've never seen anything with Simon either. He was fine. No issues here. Of course after watching the entire thing, it might have been a concerted effort to show a toned down Simon on the first episode. He really only insulted one singer.

Originally Posted by Matto1020
Holy shit... TapeFace was BRILLIANT! I mean, the oven mits came out, and I immediately thought, "Oh boy... here we go." Then within 10 seconds, I was sold. But then the Lady In Red! Hopefully he doesn't blow it in the next round... he's like the new Pip the Dragon!

Oh, and Kenichi Ebina 2.0 was also amazing. Two best acts thus far.
on both. I'm watching now and TapeFace just finished. Hysterical.

Kenichi 2.0 was awesome.

Also really dug the acapella group from Louisville. They have to be new because they named themselves after our new bridge that was just named at the end of November.

Lastly, the mind reader/magician(?) where she named things her partner was holding while blindfolded was mesmerizing. She was pretty hot too.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 05-31-16 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-01-16, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Tapeface was good, but I think of most of his act relies on his odd appearance; he looks like he was drawn by Frank Quitely.

Also liked the guy who put the scissors and meat hook up his nose. I'm easy.
Old 06-01-16, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Only seen very random bits and pieces from this show, but my daughter convinced me to watch it with her. (yes, she's in the teenage years where I feel like any chance I can hang with her I have to take knowing she'll be gone soon)

I have to say, Mel B is incredibly attractive. I didn't even find her attractive back in her Spice Girl days, but wow, she is very beautiful now.

Glad I tuned in.
Old 06-01-16, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Lastly, the mind reader/magician(?) where she named things her partner was holding while blindfolded was mesmerizing. She was pretty hot too.
The judges were astounded. Me, not so much.

They checked her ears and her blindfold for tricks, but... something had to be gimmicked up on that swing to get messages to her. There's no other reason the girl would happen to need to be sitting on a swing holding onto its very-thick rope.
Old 06-01-16, 11:32 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho

They checked her ears and her blindfold for tricks, but... something had to be gimmicked up on that swing to get messages to her. There's no other reason the girl would happen to need to be sitting on a swing holding onto its very-thick rope.
Yeah, and even then it's a trick to get the random details from such a small object. Assuming some sort of morse code type signal being sent through pulses or vibrations, how then is he sending it to her so quickly?
Old 06-01-16, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho

The point isn't whether or not it was "gimmicked", but the fact that they played it out so extraordinarily well. Even the last bit with the expiration date on the bottle. Her partner wasn't even moving at that point, but she "knew" the date on the label.

Pretty amazing sleight of hand. One of the best I've ever seen.
Old 06-01-16, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, Howie was holding the bottle for the date part. So whatever trick they are using, they have perfected it.
Old 06-01-16, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Looks like Cowell's addition did nothing to boost the ratings: http://deadline.com/2016/06/simon-co...ay-1201765393/
Old 06-01-16, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
Looks like Cowell's addition did nothing to boost the ratings: http://deadline.com/2016/06/simon-co...ay-1201765393/
I'm telling you, it felt like the CEO of a large corporation decided to come down and "work among his employees." Even had some attempts at jokes... but it was kind of awkward.
Old 06-02-16, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

I'm telling you, it felt like the CEO of a large corporation decided to come down and "work among his employees." Even had some attempts at jokes... but it was kind of awkward.
Worst "Undercover Boss" disguise ever.
Old 06-10-16, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Dude...the old guy singing Drowning Pool was fucking awesome. And hey if he doesn't win, don't they need a lead singer?

And then the drone act? Very... very cool.

Also enjoyed the trio(mom, daughter, step dad) singing act and the Argentinian drummer/dancers. They seemed like a Vegas act.
Old 06-15-16, 08:46 PM

Just caught this week's episode. Another night of some really great acts! The tight rope walkers were absolutely insane, as was the Pole Jumper. I will say, I wasn't totally sold on the Sinatra singer at first, but damn, I did enjoy it!

And Simon is growing on me a bit... still not as great without Stern though.
Old 06-17-16, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I will say, I wasn't totally sold on the Sinatra singer at first, but damn, I did enjoy it!
I enjoyed getting a glimpse of how short Heidi's skirt was!
Old 06-21-16, 07:10 PM

A glass of bourbon... a packed bowl... some online poker for commercial breaks... let's do this.

- That knife throwing act was pretty awesome! I think it totally helps that his assistant was SMOKING hot. When she started changing positions after each throw was sick!

- So that costume changing act... this is why I love this show when I'm baked. It started off so weird, and I had no idea what to think, but then the costume change happened, and then the next, and the next! That was so goddamn entertaining!

- Dammit... I hate the Eagles so much... but that card trick was so awesome! But whatevs, I hear my boy Jay Cutler is on next weeks show to fit the record number of cigarettes in ones mouth.

- Of course she get's a second try... and even on the second try, her voice was nothing amazing. Sure she was a good singer, but no character.

- I can't even watch that piercing hanging routine. Grosses me out.

- Is Bovada taking future bets for AGT? I'm putting my money on the transgender Granny comic going all the way. Thankfully her act was funny, so it won't be all about the pity vote.

- Sorry Cancer, you had a good voice and did that song well, but you can't drag the Cancer sob story out an entire season. Funny Granny is still my pick to win the show.

Last edited by Matto1020; 06-21-16 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-21-16, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

a bunch of repeat acts so far this season.

The quick changer has been done at least twice before. As sooon as he said they create "all" their own costumes we knew
it was a quick change act.
They even did the change under confetti bit just like every single qc act always does.
the trio of 2 guys and a woman doing ticks on a rope held by the 2 guys has been
done several times before.

Guy balancing on the metal tubes has been done a couple times before.

Knife throwers probably a dozen times.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.