Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones (S6E04) -- "Book of the Stranger" -- 5/15/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S6E04) -- "Book of the Stranger" -- 5/15/16

Old 05-16-16, 06:04 PM
  #76  
DVD Talk Legend
 
islandclaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Behind the Orange Curtain
Posts: 20,052
Re: Game of Thrones (S6E04) -- "Book of the Stranger" -- 5/15/16

Needs more Bronn. Where's my dude at??
islandclaws is offline  
Old 05-16-16, 06:06 PM
  #77  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 30,842
Re: Game of Thrones (S6E04) -- "Book of the Stranger" -- 5/15/16

Originally Posted by coli View Post
-I'm rooting for Cersei now to get revenge. Wow this show plays with your emotions cause she is an evil person, but I have no sympathy for the High Sparrow.
I'm fully expecting Cersei's scheme to backfire disastrously. I suspect that Tommen will do something to fuck her plans up and probably get himself killed in the process.

Not sure who is in line for the Iron Throne after Tommen, as the Baratheon family seems to be dead unless Margery is pregnant or something. There's still one Targaryen out there, and very likely a second one.
Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 05-16-16, 06:08 PM
  #78  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Defiant1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,449
Re: Game of Thrones (S6E04) -- "Book of the Stranger" -- 5/15/16

Originally Posted by coli View Post
The sad thing is he looks the part and plays the part of a total D-Bag, and will probably get typecast the rest of his life only to get those type of roles.
He's currently also in the ITV comedy series Vicious with Ian McKellen and Derek Jacobi, where he plays a character who is a complete 180 from Ramsay. From his resume, he seems to play a variety of different characters and seems to be pretty busy.
Defiant1 is offline  
Old 05-16-16, 06:11 PM
  #79  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 30,842
Re: Game of Thrones (S6E04) -- "Book of the Stranger" -- 5/15/16

Just curious, but Melisandre mentioned the "Prince that was promised," again this episode.

Was TPTWP (or Azor Ahai) ever specifically mentioned before this season? I don't recall a specific reference to the prophecy, just Melisandre believing Stannis would be someone of great importance, and I think I'd probably remember it since it's from the books.
Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 05-16-16, 06:28 PM
  #80  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DeputyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,081
Re: Game of Thrones (S6E04) -- "Book of the Stranger" -- 5/15/16

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Just curious, but Melisandre mentioned the "Prince that was promised," again this episode.

Was TPTWP (or Azor Ahai) ever specifically mentioned before this season? I don't recall a specific reference to the prophecy, just Melisandre believing Stannis would be someone of great importance, and I think I'd probably remember it since it's from the books.
I'm pretty sure she talked about it in Season 2.
DeputyDave is offline  
Old 05-16-16, 07:35 PM
  #81  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,471
Re: Game of Thrones (S6E04) -- "Book of the Stranger" -- 5/15/16

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I'm fully expecting Cersei's scheme to backfire disastrously. I suspect that Tommen will do something to fuck her plans up and probably get himself killed in the process.

Not sure who is in line for the Iron Throne after Tommen, as the Baratheon family seems to be dead unless Margery is pregnant or something. There's still one Targaryen out there, and very likely a second one.
I can't find the article right now, but someone posted that Cersei is actually next in line for the throne if Tommen doesnt have a natural heir.

http://mashable.com/2016/05/03/game-.../#iC5EKI0fUuqw
Axeramm is offline  
Old 05-16-16, 08:05 PM
  #82  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 21,993
Re: Game of Thrones (S6E04) -- "Book of the Stranger" -- 5/15/16

I wonder if Brienne also knows about what Melisandre did to Shireen? The way she glared at her seemed to suggest such.
Dr. DVD is offline  
Old 05-16-16, 08:27 PM
  #83  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 580
Re: Game of Thrones (S6E04) -- "Book of the Stranger" -- 5/15/16

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
I wonder if Brienne also knows about what Melisandre did to Shireen? The way she glared at her seemed to suggest such.
I doubt it; Brienne was talking about Renly when she delivered that glare. Also, she wasn't there when Stannis sacrificed Shireen. She'd only know about it if Stannis told her at the end, and I don't remember him doing that.
GhostLee is offline  
Old 05-16-16, 08:29 PM
  #84  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 580
Re: Game of Thrones (S6E04) -- "Book of the Stranger" -- 5/15/16

Originally Posted by islandclaws View Post
Needs more Bronn. Where's my dude at??
Needs some Gendry, too. Has he just been dropped from the series?

And speaking of loose ends, aren't the warlocks of Qarth still out there?
GhostLee is offline  
Old 05-16-16, 08:38 PM
  #85  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
andicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,741
Re: Game of Thrones (S6E04) -- "Book of the Stranger" -- 5/15/16

Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post
What was her plan if he wasn't coincidentally eating an apple at that exact moment?
I don't think that was a premeditated idea, rather that she saw the opportunity when she was there.

Don't forget, Ramsay had her bathed and sent to him.
andicus is offline  
Old 05-16-16, 11:38 PM
  #86  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 27,228
Re: Game of Thrones (S6E04) -- "Book of the Stranger" -- 5/15/16

Originally Posted by coli View Post
The sad thing is he looks the part and plays the part of a total D-Bag, and will probably get typecast the rest of his life only to get those type of roles.

I think of blonde haired kid from the Karate Kid and Back to School as he would only get D-Bag type roles in the 80's.
Speaking of being typecast, where is that kid who played Joffrey now?

Don't the Dothraki follow the strongest? I don't get why Dany murdering all their leaders but standing in the flames would make them bow to her when they regard witchcraft and witches with contempt? And they would follow a foreign woman across the narrow sea? I've never understood why Dany always is able to wield such power in her storyline, outside of when dragons are backing her up.

Isn't it a little convenient that the High Sparrow told Tommen about the trial and walk of shame, with the promise that he keep it secret, knowing he's such a momma's boy?

Isn't Sansa more likely to unite some of the North behind them then Snow, the bastard son who as far as anyone else knows, is abandoning his duty on the Wall for revenge? I mean not everyone will know or believe in his resurrection, and we were told for so long that the Knights Watch was supposed to be above personal conflict. Not to mention he'll be leading an army of wildlings.
fujishig is offline  
Old 05-17-16, 03:16 AM
  #87  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 30,842
Re: Game of Thrones (S6E04) -- "Book of the Stranger" -- 5/15/16

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Speaking of being typecast, where is that kid who played Joffrey now?
He was going to stop acting after working on Game of Thrones. I think he wanted to pursue a career in academia.
Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 05-17-16, 05:15 AM
  #88  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 267
Re: Game of Thrones (S6E04) -- "Book of the Stranger" -- 5/15/16

Originally Posted by islandclaws View Post
Needs more Bronn. Where's my dude at??

He's living in a castle, supposedly married, and spending the autumn of his years enjoying a relatively boring life like he wanted. His story is done. It would be foolish to see him dicking around King's Landing again for whatever reason just because the character happens to be a fan favorite.
Maz Kanata is offline  
Old 05-17-16, 05:20 AM
  #89  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 267
Re: Game of Thrones (S6E04) -- "Book of the Stranger" -- 5/15/16

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Just curious, but Melisandre mentioned the "Prince that was promised," again this episode.

Was TPTWP (or Azor Ahai) ever specifically mentioned before this season?

Yes, in the episode The North Remembers.
Maz Kanata is offline  
Old 05-17-16, 08:25 AM
  #90  
Member
 
Brack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: near Cincinnati
Posts: 9,647
Re: Game of Thrones (S6E04) -- "Book of the Stranger" -- 5/15/16

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
That was her early on, but a few years back she decided to stop doing nude scenes.

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/daenery...season-4-video
She had just realized her nudity would like on forever via the Internet. This was also before he character became a very very central character.
Brack is offline  
Old 05-17-16, 08:49 AM
  #91  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 468
Re: Game of Thrones (S6E04) -- "Book of the Stranger" -- 5/15/16

Originally Posted by Maz Kanata View Post
He's living in a castle, supposedly married, and spending the autumn of his years enjoying a relatively boring life like he wanted. His story is done. It would be foolish to see him dicking around King's Landing again for whatever reason just because the character happens to be a fan favorite.
I think it would be more than reasonable for Jaime to ask him to lead some of his forces and Bronn to jump at the chance.
dave94 is offline  
Old 05-17-16, 09:04 AM
  #92  
Senior Member
 
Astrofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Vista CA
Posts: 935
Re: Game of Thrones (S6E04) -- "Book of the Stranger" -- 5/15/16

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Even with an accelerant or oil (which would have reeked), there's no way a fire falling out of those candles could spread like that. So I'm wondering if Danny can sort of control fire?
They're not candles. They're vessels full of oil.
Astrofan is offline  
Old 05-17-16, 09:05 AM
  #93  
Senior Member
 
Astrofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Vista CA
Posts: 935
Re: Game of Thrones (S6E04) -- "Book of the Stranger" -- 5/15/16

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
I think Jonathan Pryce will get nominated for an Emmy. This is like his 2nd or 3rd time that he has spoken to a major character, alone, and kicked some knowledge. Each time after the people he speaks with look at him and listen to his words and understand his motives in all of it. Last week he spoke to the King and tonight's episode he spoke to Queen Margaret and how he used to make fine shoes and sell them for lots of money while becoming a degenerate.

Good stuff in that bit of dialogue.

Way too long.
Astrofan is offline  
Old 05-17-16, 09:26 AM
  #94  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 41,373
Re: Game of Thrones (S6E04) -- "Book of the Stranger" -- 5/15/16

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
I wonder if Brienne also knows about what Melisandre did to Shireen? The way she glared at her seemed to suggest such.
Originally Posted by GhostLee View Post
I doubt it; Brienne was talking about Renly when she delivered that glare. Also, she wasn't there when Stannis sacrificed Shireen. She'd only know about it if Stannis told her at the end, and I don't remember him doing that.
Didn't Davos ask about Shireen, but no one answered him?

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Isn't Sansa more likely to unite some of the North behind them then Snow, the bastard son who as far as anyone else knows, is abandoning his duty on the Wall for revenge? I mean not everyone will know or believe in his resurrection, and we were told for so long that the Knights Watch was supposed to be above personal conflict. Not to mention he'll be leading an army of wildlings.
It's an interesting point, but I think people will still be more inclined to follow a male leader. But they can team up.

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
Really? The murder of their lord, Jon Arryn, set the entire story in motion.
We've spent years at the Eyrie and most characters have at least visited.
I didn't say I didn't know what the Vale was. I just don't recall much about the "knights of the Vale" as a body themselves, like the Unsullied or the Kingsguard.

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Speaking of being typecast, where is that kid who played Joffrey now?
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
He was going to stop acting after working on Game of Thrones. I think he wanted to pursue a career in academia.
I'm not sure how much of a factor it was, but I heard he got some pretty bad shit from people who don't know how to separate entertainment from reality.
davidh777 is online now  
Old 05-17-16, 09:33 AM
  #95  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 30,191
Re: Game of Thrones (S6E04) -- "Book of the Stranger" -- 5/15/16

Originally Posted by Astrofan View Post
Way too long.
I disagree. I was riveted. It was like the 3rd one of those in 3 weeks, I believe.
Why So Blu? is offline  
Old 05-17-16, 10:11 AM
  #96  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: So Cal
Posts: 8,617
Re: Game of Thrones (S6E04) -- "Book of the Stranger" -- 5/15/16

If Sir Friendzone wore a condom, would he be able to do it with Daeny and not infect her with his skin infection?
Aphex Twin is offline  
Old 05-17-16, 10:17 AM
  #97  
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,359
Re: Game of Thrones (S6E04) -- "Book of the Stranger" -- 5/15/16

^^ it would have to be a full-body condom
HN is offline  
Old 05-17-16, 10:23 AM
  #98  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 21,914
Re: Game of Thrones (S6E04) -- "Book of the Stranger" -- 5/15/16

Originally Posted by windom View Post
I don't know why the Sam/Gilly and Dorne storylines are getting so little time this season. That's the stuff I'm really interested in seeing more of.
that's a joke, right?
LurkerDan is offline  
Old 05-17-16, 10:36 AM
  #99  
DVD Talk Legend
 
The Infidel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Posts: 11,402
Re: Game of Thrones (S6E04) -- "Book of the Stranger" -- 5/15/16

Originally Posted by HN View Post
^^ it would have to be a full-body condom
I'd go with a gallon of Thompson's Brick Seal.
The Infidel is offline  
Old 05-17-16, 11:00 AM
  #100  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 21,914
Re: Game of Thrones (S6E04) -- "Book of the Stranger" -- 5/15/16

LurkerDan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.