Reload this Page >

Outlander (Starz) -- Season 2 Thread -- 4/9/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-08-16, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw the premiere yesterday since Starz allowed subscribers viewing privileges a couple of days prior to opening day. The events this season seem to be taken from Gabaldon's 2nd book in the series, Dragonfly in Amber. Since the premiere hasn't officially released yet, all I can say is kudos to Tobias Menzies for doing so well with such a thankless role.
Old 04-08-16, 07:36 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Re: Outlander (Starz) -- Season 2 Thread -- 4/9/16

Dang, forgot this was premiering this weekend. I still need to finish the 2nd half of season 1.
Old 04-08-16, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Dang, forgot this was premiering this weekend. I still need to finish the 2nd half of season 1.
Don't eat anything heavy before you do.
Old 04-08-16, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

How many episodes is Season 2? And will it be a split season like Season 1?
Old 04-08-16, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by coli
How many episodes is Season 2? And will it be a split season like Season 1?
Based on this article it seems the season won't be split.
Old 04-08-16, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I just finished season 1 a week ago. perfect timing!
Old 04-08-16, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Just watched the premiere last night. Pretty solid. One thing that bugged me, though... a minor technical issue that contains a MAJOR spoiler:

Spoiler:
Man, how fake did that Pan Am plane look? I don't even notice CGI half the time, and when I do, I usually just shrug and go with it. But the plane looked so Fakey McFake as to take me out of the show. Like, when Claire is standing in front of the door, the angles on the lip of the plane's door didn't even line up correctly. It wasn't quite "Dwayne Johnson in The Mummy Returns" bad, but it was pretty awful!
Old 04-08-16, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

I have 4 episodes to finish from season 1 before I can head into the 2nd season.

Looking forward to season 2. Heard it will be 13 episodes instead of 16. The split season was pretty ridiculous last season.

Seems like Ronald Moore and his writers have a ton of material to work with from the Outlander books. I see there is 8 books in the series.
Old 04-08-16, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stingo
The events this season seem to be taken from Gabaldon's 2nd book in the series, Dragonfly in Amber.
Yeah, although Season 1 included some scenes and whole episodes not in the book and the converse was true as well. And reportedly the differences will be even moreso with Season 2.

I'm interested to see what happens with Season 3-onward. Whether they continue to only adapt the main books (8 so far, with the 9th out in the next year or two) or also include the short stories and/or shorter novels too that are set in the same world. Main Outlander characters make appearances in those (even co-starring in one), and in the same way characters that appear there later show up, or are at least referred to, in the main books.
Old 04-08-16, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
Yeah, although Season 1 included some scenes and whole episodes not in the book and the converse was true as well. And reportedly the differences will be even moreso with Season 2.

I'm interested to see what happens with Season 3-onward. Whether they continue to only adapt the main books (8 so far, with the 9th out in the next year or two) or also include the short stories and/or shorter novels too that are set in the same world. Main Outlander characters make appearances in those (even co-starring in one), and in the same way characters that appear there later show up, or are at least referred to, in the main books.
Indeed. A frind of mine who has read book 3 (Voyager) mentioned something to me about stuff from other books. I just didn't realize that it had happened.
Old 04-10-16, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Great first episode.
Old 04-10-16, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Haven't read Ms. Gabaldon's books yet, but binge watched the first season. Beautiful scenery/backdrop, a cast with great chemistry...this show has a bit of everything for everyone, even for the sadists in those final two eps.

Solid start (the boat ride seems to have made Jamie more fit.) Enjoyed that almost grand, cinematic handoff from 1948 Boston to 1700s France.
Old 04-11-16, 09:31 AM

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

So what exactly happened in this premiere episode? Are we supposed to understand it?

Spoiler:
Was the 1948 stuff a dream? When she flicked back to the past, she didn't seem confused at all about how she returned to the past again. Or was that just artistic license and she actually left Boston right away and returned to Scotland to touch the stones?

I don't get it! But if we're not supposed to get it yet, that's fine.
Old 04-11-16, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think there needs to be spoilers because I am just going on what was seen in the episode:

I think the events in 1948 are a flash forward, because when she arrived she wondered about the battle and if anything was changed. The events in 1745 are a continuation of the events of season 1, and they are going to try and change the future.

Although they filmed it differently, I think this is just their version of the often-used TV trope of opening with a climactic scene and then showing a "3 days earlier" to then show what happened leading up to that climax. I'm not sure if I am happy they are doing it this way, because it seems rather anti-climactic, that now we know whatever her and Jamie does in the past this season isn't successful. But I haven't read the books, so I am just going off what was shown.
Old 04-11-16, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I don't think there needs to be spoilers because I am just going on what was seen in the episode:

I think the events in 1948 are a flash forward, because when she arrived she wondered about the battle and if anything was changed. The events in 1745 are a continuation of the events of season 1, and they are going to try and change the future.

Although they filmed it differently, I think this is just their version of the often-used TV trope of opening with a climactic scene and then showing a "3 days earlier" to then show what happened leading up to that climax. I'm not sure if I am happy they are doing it this way, because it seems rather anti-climactic, that now we know whatever her and Jamie does in the past this season isn't successful. But I haven't read the books, so I am just going off what was shown.
That actually makes sense. And just a soft "3 days earlier" thing after they get off the boat would've worked wonders.

I guess I thought it wasn't a flash forward because her pregnancy wasn't showing and I would be surprised if she returns to the past so soon after the "present" of the series back in the 1700s. I guess I'll have to watch to find out, though.
Old 04-11-16, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I was wondering about the pregnancy not showing either. So I assume she will get back to 1948 relatively soon or at least by the end of this season. I am not sure how long of a time period this season is supposed to cover.

Something that is a spoiler:
Spoiler:
I read an article in TV guide that they cast the part of Claire and Jamie's grown daughter who is American and is supposed to show up this season. So that makes sense that Claire has her in America. I am assuming she will become a traveler like her mother as well so maybe she will show up back in Scotland? I am also assuming that Claire makes it back to Scotland at some point or otherwise the show would be over.

Something I thought this episode did a good job of is illustrating the differences between Jamie and Frank. Remember last season Jamie was willing to let her go back to her time and go be with Frank - he loved her so much that he just wanted her to be happy, even if it meant that he lost her. Compare that with Frank in this episode, who makes her give up Jamie and even forbids her from researching him in history. His love is more selfish and not as pure as Jamie's.
Old 04-11-16, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

@Jadzia That's one thing that I keep asking myself - why does she still wear Frank's ring? I'm guessing it was out of loyalty through Season 1, but now, with things so different?

In Frank's defense though, her reappearing married to someone else had to be tough to take. I think anyone would be tested by such a revelation. If the situation was reversed and she returned to Jamie, newly married to Frank, I don't think he (Jamie) would take it so graciously either. For that matter, would Claire?
Old 04-11-16, 12:08 PM

@Jadzia That's one thing that I keep asking myself - why does she still wear Frank's ring? I'm guessing it was out of loyalty through Season 1, but now, with things so different?

In Frank's defense though, her reappearing married to someone else had to be tough to take. I think anyone would be tested by such a revelation. If the situation was reversed and she returned to Jamie, newly married to Frank, I don't think he (Jamie) would take it so graciously either. For that matter, would Claire?
Yeah, Frank's really been jerked around the last few years. I kind of feel like Frank's love is reasonably selfish (at least what we've seen so far).
Old 04-11-16, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In the books Claire & Jamie discussed it in Book 1 (Season 1), iirc around the time of their marriage. And I don't recall any specific event having occurred between now and then that would have caused her to reevaluate the discussion (they've also had a lot else to discuss instead). It's the one physical tie to her past (in the future) that she's presumably never going to see again. And she did love Frank.

Also, in the books there is more made about wealth and poverty, and it's practical to carry money in such a compact, portable fashion. As well, it reinforces the Lord and Lady status that they are currently trying to convey, as to most observers it is more impressive than the silver ring that Jamie had given her.
Old 04-11-16, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the time transition was pretty obvious given what she had to say upon being found on the road. She had no idea if their plans had worked or not. Now that we know it was all for not, I'm not sure how much the audience is supposed to follow their actions this season.

Personally I don't think anybody can really compare Jamie and Frank and their love for Claire. They live totally different lives in radically different cultures. And that was before this all happened in a ways that would affect Frank far worse than Jamie.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 04-11-16 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-11-16, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
I thought the time transition was pretty obvious given what she has to say upon being found on the road. She had no idea if their plans had worked or not. Now that we know it was all for not, I'm not sure how much the audience is supposed to follow their actions this season.
I think that's a concern. I've heard that some book readers didn't like how it began and so didn't continue. At least with the show then viewers know that there is (potentially) a whole lot more to come following this Season.

I think that part of their decision was practical in that (vague plot direction spoiler)
Spoiler:
Tobias Menzies might not have had much screen time, at least at the beginning, if they didn't go this route, but instead focused exclusively on Jamie, Claire and Murtagh arriving in France.
Old 04-11-16, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Depending on how far they read into the series, they'd already know

Spoiler:
that Dragonfly in Amber started with a bigger narrative jolt than Season 2 did. They'd also know that not all the events are taken from DIA.
Old 04-12-16, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

http://deadline.com/2016/04/outlande...ce-1201736263/

Good News. Outlander's premiere ratings were up 102% from the series premiere back in August 2014.

I think the show picked up a lot of new fans by word of mouth.

More details

Up 102% from the Ronald D. Moore EP’s series’ Season 1 premiere of August 9, 2014, Saturday’s S2 debut is the best any Starz series has ever done in a series or season opener. The previous high belonged to Power, which had 1.43 million for its Season 2 debut on June 6 last year. Over multiple plays, the S2 opener of Outlander drew 2.68 million viewers this weekend.

The Season 2 Outlander opener was up 19% in total viewers from its Season 1 return of April 4 last year. The heavily promoted opener also saw a rise of 49% over the Season 1 finale of May 30, 2015.
Old 04-12-16, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

Good News. Outlander's premiere ratings were up 102% from the series premiere back in August 2014.

More details
Nice. Renew it now before it has a chance to fall.
Old 04-13-16, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya

More details
Great news! Renew it already!!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.