Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead (S6E13) -- "The Same Boat" -- 3/13/16

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-16, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Walking Dead (S6E13) -- "The Same Boat" -- 3/13/16

Not sure if I get "We are Spartacus" vibe from the episode. The lady that was smoking said "We are Negan" laughing, kind of ironically. Not really proud.

We will see.
Old 03-14-16, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Old 03-15-16, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,019 Likes on 629 Posts

Old 03-15-16, 08:15 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I don't think we've seen the "real" Neagan yet. Remember, they said they're all Neagan, so it wouldn't surprise me they all identify themselves as him when asked.
Old 03-15-16, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Alicia Wiit was lookin' damn fine on Talking Dead.

One bit of tonight's Walking Dead episode caught my eye...

(Spoilered sections involve speculation based on leaked finale footage and info from the comics.)

Spoiler:
...and that was the bit where Maggie was beating the Savior to death and shot from her POV.

A few months back, a video was leaked from the finale that showed...

Spoiler:
Negan (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) swinging Lucille from the POV of his victim. A very similar shot. Makes me think that Maggie might take Glenn's place in that infamous scene, and that was a bit of foreshadowing. AMC got copies of that poor-quality video yanked within hours. (Butit looks like it's been re-upped.)

Here's the video:

Based on that footage.... I bet
Spoiler:
that's the final shot of this season and we don't get to find out who gets "the bat" until the start of next season. They'll probably have a few folks lined up to take the hit. That would really fuck with people over the summer.
Old 03-15-16, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Glad I avoided the casting spoilers.
Originally Posted by andicus
Or any spoilers...
This. It's really gotten out of hand lately. Just because some people can't seem to survive without reading ahead in the story, or following casting news, doesn't mean everybody does.

It was pretty clear that Carol was both playing a role for her captors AND affected by her encounter with Morgan and the death of Sam. They had that scene of her tallying her kills in the last episode for a reason. Unlike Morgan I'm sure she'll continue to kill. But these recent turn of events seem to be taking their toll.

The only groan moment for me us when Maggie almost took a knifing to the abdomen. Yeah, they went there. Rest of the episode was solid including all the one-off actresses playing the captors. Each did a good job in the very short time they were given.
Old 03-15-16, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Total filler garbage episode. I sure hope Carol was faking otherwise it's time for her to bite it.
Old 03-15-16, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Luds
Total filler garbage episode. I sure hope Carol was faking otherwise it's time for her to bite it.
If you can't figure out Carol this episode (even without the 10 people here explaining it) and think that this episode was garbage, then this show may both too smart for you.

Which is scary... very very scary.
Old 03-15-16, 11:36 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

One of the best episodes this season.

Carol's actions are consistent with her character, and IMO, she's had the most significant and satisfying (from a viewer's perspective) story arc compared to anyone else. I think her re-evaluation of her actions began with "The Grove" in Season 4 (one of the heaviest episodes this show has ever had) and came to a head in this episode. She saw herself in Paula... she saw that the other women really weren't evil scumbags... and now she's incredibly fucked up over it all. I think Morgan's had a bit of an influence, but he's not the driving force behind her current inner conflict.

Draven and others in this thread are spot on. She's not, and has never been, a killer robot. She was able to "turn off" her brain in order to get shit done, and she's the ultimate bad-ass, but that shit doesn't last.

She's the most three-dimensional character on the show.

I really did like Alicia Witt as Paula. I hoped she'd be around for more than one episode.
Old 03-15-16, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like in that picture above, the guy on the far left aiming into the sky. Is he expecting a drop bear or tree ninja of some sort?
Old 03-15-16, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by onebyone
She was pretending this week one hundred percent in my opinion. All crying and hysterical with the rosary, all the while using it to cut off her restraints. Feeling guilty last week doesn't mean she won't burn you alive this week.
I can't believe this is even a question. Of course it was all an act. Even Alicia Witt's character commented on it.
Old 03-15-16, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
This. It's really gotten out of hand lately. Just because some people can't seem to survive without reading ahead in the story, or following casting news, doesn't mean everybody does.

It was pretty clear that Carol was both playing a role for her captors AND affected by her encounter with Morgan and the death of Sam. They had that scene of her tallying her kills in the last episode for a reason. Unlike Morgan I'm sure she'll continue to kill. But these recent turn of events seem to be taking their toll.

The only groan moment for me us when Maggie almost took a knifing to the abdomen. Yeah, they went there. Rest of the episode was solid including all the one-off actresses playing the captors. Each did a good job in the very short time they were given.
Why is this groan worthy? Grown worthy in that it was scary to think she may lose the baby in a fight or groan worthy because you thought is was a bad writing?
Old 03-15-16, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Navinabob
If you can't figure out Carol this episode (even without the 10 people here explaining it) and think that this episode was garbage, then this show may both too smart for you.

Which is scary... very very scary.
You're giving the writers way too much credit. Bad writing is a strong possibility.
And yes, it was a total filler show. This was like last week's cut scenes. More of Negan's crew died. Yay.
Old 03-15-16, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

I wonder how he felt about seeing Talisa getting shanked in her pregnant belly on GoT.
Old 03-15-16, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave99
I like in that picture above, the guy on the far left aiming into the sky. Is he expecting a drop bear or tree ninja of some sort?
Maybe he was looking up in the trees to see if the people watching them was there? One could assume in normal situations if someone has a clear eye on you that they're in an advantage spot which is usually higher up, unfortunately this wasn't the case, but the guy didn't know that.
Old 03-15-16, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
I agree with your observations, except I don't think that she'll continue to kill. She seemed so reluctant to kill that it nearly cost her and Maggie. If she doesn't turn around, this might be the last season for her character.
Old 03-15-16, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Luds
You're giving the writers way too much credit. Bad writing is a strong possibility.
And yes, it was a total filler show. This was like last week's cut scenes. More of Negan's crew died. Yay.
I think the writers must be giving their viewers too much credit apparently. I'll forward a memo to the writing staff to try and dumb things down a bit more and try and have the characters say out loud whatever they're thinking.

If it helps you any, I can also try and see if the characters will say their own name before delivering a line.
Old 03-15-16, 02:19 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sracer
I agree with your observations, except I don't think that she'll continue to kill. She seemed so reluctant to kill that it nearly cost her and Maggie. If she doesn't turn around, this might be the last season for her character.
This is important and accurate, but I think another layer of reluctance came from the fact that she specifically saw Paula and the other women as relatively reasonable human beings and not psychopaths like the Wolves. It's "easier" to kill when you're fairly certain you're killing the bad guys. But these women weren't that; at least not from what we have seen so far.
Old 03-15-16, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I think the writers must be giving their viewers too much credit apparently. I'll forward a memo to the writing staff to try and dumb things down a bit more and try and have the characters say out loud whatever they're thinking.
"Pssssssssst... Pssssssssssst! Maggie! I'm totally pretending right now, just in case you're wondering why I'm acting different!"
Old 03-15-16, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Hell all other things aside, Maggie's expression was a give-away that Carol was acting.

I can't believe this ever even turned into a debate. It's not even questionable. o.O
Old 03-15-16, 03:09 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

If it helps you any, I can also try and see if the characters will say their own name before delivering a line.
"I am Maggie. I have a baby in me. I want to live because I love Glenn and this apocalypse is bullshit."

"Oh hi Maggie. I am Glenn, your husband. I am sad that they took you and I am glad that you are back. I will try not to almost-die under a dumpster again."

"Hello fellow humans! I am Rick, your fearless leader. We are good because we kill bad guys. How many people have you killed?"

"Carol is my name. 18, I think. Plus those people I just burned. Shit. Maybe I shouldn't just be killing everyone like a robot. Those people weren't so bad... or were they? Fuck, this apocalypse has brought out the worst in me."

"I am greasy and my name is Daryl."
Old 03-15-16, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,657 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by sracer
I think the point is that Carol WILL still kill. When Maggie got slashed she just stepped up and blew that chick's head off. Then she turned around and burned the others alive. She's not giving up.

She's smart and crafty and wants to live. She will continue to kill to defend herself and her loved ones. But it's obviously taking a toll. The problem (and it's sort of a problem with everyone in this group) is that they are too good at doing this now. It's like soldiers who never leave the warzone for the rest of their lives. Yes, they'd get good at staying alive but eventually that would wear anyone down.

And Carol definitely saw herself in Alicia Witt's character - which could easily have been what Carol turned into herself.

Last edited by Draven; 03-15-16 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-15-16, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
"I am Maggie. I have a baby in me. I want to live because I love Glenn and this apocalypse is bullshit."

"Oh hi Maggie. I am Glenn, your husband. I am sad that they took you and I am glad that you are back. I will try not to almost-die under a dumpster again."

"Hello fellow humans! I am Rick, your fearless leader. We are good because we kill bad guys. How many people have you killed?"

"Carol is my name. 18, I think. Plus those people I just burned. Shit. Maybe I shouldn't just be killing everyone like a robot. Those people weren't so bad... or were they? Fuck, this apocalypse has brought out the worst in me."

"I am greasy and my name is Daryl."
Old 03-15-16, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave99
Snipers in a tower?
Old 03-15-16, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I think the point is that Carol WILL still kill. When Maggie got slashed she just stepped up and blew that chick's head off. Then she turned around and burned the others alive. She's not giving up.

She's smart and crafty and wants to live. She will continue to kill to defend herself and her loved ones. But it's obviously taking a toll. The problem (and it's sort of a problem with everyone in this group) is that they are too good at doing this now. It's like soldiers who never leave the warzone for the rest of their lives. Yes, they'd get good at staying alive but eventually that would wear anyone down.

And Carol definitely saw herself in Alicia Witt's character - which could easily have been what Carol turned into herself.
Exactly. We'll see how it goes, but I suspect the difference between Carol and Morgan is that Carol still will off somebody that it actively trying to kill her or one of the group. The change is that that I no longer see her volunteering for any of these missions where they go on the offensive. Same for Maggie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.