Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Survivor: Kaôh Rōng (S32E01) -- Season Premiere -- "I'm a Mental Giant" -- 2/17/16

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Survivor: Kaôh Rōng (S32E01) -- Season Premiere -- "I'm a Mental Giant" -- 2/17/16

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-16, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

CASTAWAYS EMBARK ON THE MOST GRUELING 39 DAYS IN "SURVIVOR" HISTORY, ON A SPECIAL 90-MINUTE SEASON PREMIERE OF "SURVIVOR," WEDNESDAY, FEB. 17

"I'm a Mental Giant" - Castaways embark on the most grueling 39 days in Survivor history and test whether brute strength, looks or smarts will be the attribute that helps capture the title of Sole Survivor. Also, one castaway deals with excruciating pain when a bug gets stuck in their ear, on SURVIVOR, when the Emmy Award-winning series returns for its 32nd season with a special 90-minute premiere, Wednesday, Feb. 17 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

The battle begins when these three tribes compete:

The Brains Tribe

Peter Baggenstos

Aubry Bracco

Joseph Del Campo

Neal Gottlieb

Elisabeth Markham

Debbie Wanner

The Brawn Tribe

Cydney Gillon

Darnell Hamilton

Alecia Holden

Kyle Jason

Jennifer Lanzetti

Scot Pollard

The Beauty Tribe

Michele Fitzgerald

Anna Khait

Nick Maiorano

Caleb Reynolds

Julia Sokolowski

Tai Trang

SURVIVOR is hosted by Emmy Award-winning host Jeff Probst and produced by SEG, Inc. Mark Burnett and Jeff Probst are executive producers.

90 minute premiere tonight
Old 02-17-16, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Survivor: Kaôh Rōng (S32E01) -- Season Premiere -- "I'm a Mental Giant" -- 2/17/1

Woooooooo! Let's go Julia!
Old 02-17-16, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts
Re: Survivor: Kaôh Rōng (S32E01) -- Season Premiere -- "I'm a Mental Giant" -- 2/17/1

Thought tonight's vote out was a mistake. Darnell seemed to be a lot more long term loyal than Alecia.

Pollard seems like a douche, but he is a beaker...
Old 02-17-16, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is there a tiny blonde who looks like she weighs 90 lbs on the Brawn tribe?
Old 02-17-16, 09:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was totally the wrong call at tribal. I hope it comes back and bites them in the ass.
I mean she didn't even take off the cap to the pen at first....it's not going to get better folks.
Old 02-17-16, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

All I can figure is that there is something they edited out to keep us guessing. Because that wasn't either a logical or an emotional choice. That was just stupid. And there's no way they'd cast a reality show with stupid pe...oh wait. Nevermind.
Old 02-17-16, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinobi
The same reason Ghandi is on the beauty tribe

They are just arbitrary labels for Jeff to make some sort of social commentary or something.

Speaking of Ghandi - he hated to see Caleb chopping into a tree but was then later ripping small trees out of the ground to look for an idol?

Last edited by wirefan; 02-17-16 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-17-16, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinobi
Why is Gandhi on the Beauty tribe? EDIT: Curses ... beaten by wirefan by a minute

Originally Posted by zoomgirl
That was totally the wrong call at tribal. I hope it comes back and bites them in the ass.
I mean she didn't even take off the cap to the pen at first....it's not going to get better folks.
But she's a mental giant!

And that bug in the ear I kept waiting for Jeff and medical to be called in. After which Jeff would say: "I have good news and bad news. The good news is ... the bug is out. But the bad news is ... it was a female ... AND LAY EGGS IN YOUR BRAIN!!!!"
Old 02-17-16, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
All I can figure is that there is something they edited out to keep us guessing.
My guess is he was either a debbie downer at camp or a hot mess who would freak out at every challenge. Either way the fact that the bearded dude was calling Alecia blondie after knowing her for 3 days I hope she outlasts his condescending a*s in the game.

Kudos to Production as I think it was a nice fake out as I thought Alecia was a super obvious boot and the goggles thing was a total decoy.
Old 02-18-16, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by wirefan
Speaking of Ghandi - he hated to see Caleb chopping into a tree but was then later ripping small trees out of the ground to look for an idol?
Yeah, that was fucking hilarious. When Beastmode Cowboy is chopping into the tree Tai's going on about how he loves plants and all living things are precious, and the a few minutes later he's yanking little trees out of the ground and tossing them over his shoulder while he's idol hunting.
Old 02-18-16, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
And that bug in the ear I kept waiting for Jeff and medical to be called in. After which Jeff would say: "I have good news and bad news. The good news is ... the bug is out. But the bad news is ... it was a female ... AND LAY EGGS IN YOUR BRAIN!!!!"
Yeah... What the hell was up with that? Couldn't they have a nurse or paramedic (presumably they keep someone with medical training close by) look in her ear and fish or flush it out? Seems like a legit medical issue.
Old 02-18-16, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

I would have voted him out simply for taking that dump right in front of everyone. Go dig a hole or something, homie. No one wants a chocolate bar floating in the same place you'll go fishing in.

I mean, aside from losing the goggles. it wasn't a surprise. usually if you fuck up first, it's remembered by the tribe
Old 02-18-16, 07:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I would have voted him out simply for taking that dump right in front of everyone. Go dig a hole or something, homie. No one wants a chocolate bar floating in the same place you'll go fishing in.

Personally, I thought the vote was based on racism or white privilege until your post reminded me of his personal indiscretion.

Apart from the BM affront, it does serve as a reminder that the contestants do have to answer the call of nature. Unless someone has stomach issues (like Whiny Butt last season), it's usually totally avoided (no pun). I'm sure it's been discussed, but do they have a toilet area? I don't mean like a latrine or slit trench, but do they just go squat somewhere and then cover? I'd hope they have a general agreement about where to go so as to avoid any unpleasant surprises when searching for HII. Going in the ocean doesn't seem like too bad of an idea if one goes far enough away (and doesn't mind sitting in brown water), but it does seem to be rubbing people's faces in it when you just shuck down and squat in plain view of your tribe.

Also, who changed their vote to Darnell on the re-vote? At the end credits, didn't they just show the original vote?
Old 02-18-16, 07:27 AM
Banned

to the comments previously posted, which I'm sure a lot of viewers discussed among themselves (Thai yanking up the trees, arbitrariness of tribe assignments, why medical didn't check out the ear worm, etc.).

We did like the challenge since it involved so many elements (retrieving the paddles, getting to shore, docking the boat, working the puzzle). Exciting finish, too.

We did when the second-place team won a flint, and then Probst casually tosses the same reward to the losers after TC is over.
Old 02-18-16, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Also, who changed their vote to Darnell on the re-vote? At the end credits, didn't they just show the original vote?
I think they just split the vote the first time in case one of them had an idol. They must have had a pecking order for the re-vote.
Old 02-18-16, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm sure it's been discussed, but do they have a toilet area? I don't mean like a latrine or slit trench, but do they just go squat somewhere and then cover? I'd hope they have a general agreement about where to go so as to avoid any unpleasant surprises when searching for HII. Going in the ocean doesn't seem like too bad of an idea if one goes far enough away (and doesn't mind sitting in brown water), but it does seem to be rubbing people's faces in it when you just shuck down and squat in plain view of your tribe.
I seem to remember reading an article years ago that said they gave Survivors basic toilet paper, tampons, toothpaste, razors (which is why we generally don't see a bunch of hairy legs or armpits after 39 days), and some other basic survivor supplies, but VERY few. It's basically just enough to make sure no one loses any teeth, contracts a deadly disease, or looks horrible on HD . They also usually provide a clean water hole, even though the water still must be boiled.

What I don't think they provide are any "luxuries" like toilet bowls, bug spray, toothbrushes, shaving cream...so it would be up to the tribe to designate a poop place and cover it up. Going in the beach water is not the brightest of plans.

I'm pretty sure it was Kyle (big tattooed guy) who changed his vote the second time around. I was surprised based on the edit that he voted to keep Darnell the first round, but they showed he voted to boot Alecia the first round.
Old 02-18-16, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/18...robst-premiere

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: The past two seasons have opened with people scrambling for supplies on a boat before having to jump overboard, a nice old-school call back to the original Survivor marooning. Why does this never get old?
JEFF PROBST: It’s just such an exciting way to start the game. They’ve not been able to say a single word up until this moment, so the first “Hello, how are you?” comes in the midst of making some of the biggest decisions they’ll make — what supplies to take with them? There are chickens running around, people bumping into each other, supplies and people going overboard and rafts floating away. For me, it always takes me back to season 1 when we did this same thing. It was my first real test as a host. We had never done it before and it had to be perfect because there was no going back to do it again. We were so pumped after they all started paddling away and I have that same feeling today. It’s the feeling of “Here we go again!”

What exactly is the Survivor protocol for when someone has a bug enter their ear and start rooting around their head? Was the medical department consulted at all when Jennifer was experiencing that massive pain?

Yes, our medical team was aware. They knew she thought she had something in her ear, but as you saw on the show, it was inside her ear canal so there was no easy way to get it out. Had it become a life-threatening situation then she would have been taken out of the game. Our protocol is this: We will not help any player in a way that gives them any kind of an unfair advantage. So if someone is dehydrated, we can’t give them electrolytes and an apple. That wouldn’t be fair to other contestants. But lancing a boil or giving a contestant some wraps to put on a sunburn is acceptable. In this case I would have said that if they can get the worm out easily to go ahead and do it. Fortunately, that little sucka came out on it’s own and of course.… we got the shot!

Clearly the heat is going to be a major issue this season. How does that impact the challenges you guys do? Obviously this first one required some big exertion, but did you have to tone down the physicality at all this season due to the extreme conditions?
No. We really can’t change our challenges, especially early on. The big tribe challenges take so long to build that even if we wanted to, we wouldn’t have enough time to start building a new one. The weather is always a factor in the game — this season more than others and it will go down as a very physically demanding season.

There is always so much more at Tribal Council that happens that you don’t have time to cram in the episode, so did anything happen in between that first vote (which ended in a tie) and the revote (which sent Darnell home) or was that first tie just to protect against a hidden immunity idol being played?
My hunch is they were pretty sure it was going to be Darnell but they were a bit concerned about an idol so they split the vote. But what’s been interesting about Tribal the past several years is that people do change their mind at Tribal, so Darnell and Alecia were smart to fight to stay in because you really never do know what might happen. And we will see some more of that this season. Nobody is ever totally safe at tribal until a torch is snuffed.

Okay, sir, tease us up for next week!
The birth of one of the best and most unlikely bro-mances in Survivor history. How’s that?
Old 02-18-16, 09:10 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That one 'dehydrated' girl on the Brains tribe was 100% Lena Dunham's character in Girls if she signed up for Survivor.
Old 02-18-16, 09:56 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anybody notice Debbie's multiple careers displayed? I saw chemist, civil air patrol capt., and waitress, not sure if there were others. She crazy.
Old 02-18-16, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

First to at Obama appearing, though I'm sure it came up in the casting thread.

And didn't he tell Caleb to make a slot in the tree?

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
What I don't think they provide are any "luxuries" like toilet bowls, bug spray, toothbrushes, shaving cream...so it would be up to the tribe to designate a poop place and cover it up. Going in the beach water is not the brightest of plans.
Yeah, my impression has always been that they dig a hole in the forest somewhere.

We did when the second-place team won a flint, and then Probst casually tosses the same reward to the losers after TC is over.
Yeah, that always happens, though. The losers did vote someone out so it's not like it's an even outcome.

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I mean, aside from losing the goggles
I know everyone kept calling it goggles, but technically it was a facemask. I guess they didn't have it long enough to notice the difference.
Old 02-18-16, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

It was my interpretation that Bald Miyagi dug out the trees, roots and all, and legit replanted them. There's no way he would've deliberately killed them following all of his "I love the living creatures" talks.
Old 02-18-16, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

That worm crawling out of Jenny's ear was nasty. The fact that it caused her ear to bleed, I wonder if she may still have some residual infection.

Not entirely surprised by Darnell getting voted out after the tie.

Never liked Pollard as an NBA player. He was part of the Bench Mob with the Kings that faced the Lakers a lot and I always thought he was kind of a douche. Can't believe he actually won a title. I don't even recall him being part of that 2008 Celtics team.
Old 02-18-16, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Never liked Pollard as an NBA player. He was part of the Bench Mob with the Kings that faced the Lakers a lot and I always thought he was kind of a douche. Can't believe he actually won a title. I don't even recall him being part of that 2008 Celtics team.
I don't remember him on that team either. Apparently that was the last season of his career, and he played 22 games for a total of 173 minutes, with 39 points and 43 personal fouls. He didn't log a single minute in the playoffs.

I remember he played part of his high school career in southeastern Washington State (same school as my college roommate otherwise I probably wouldn't have recognized it). I didn't remember that he was drafted by the Pistons, traded to the Hawks for Christian Laettner after his rookie year, then joined the Kings without ever playing for Atlanta.
Old 02-18-16, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When he was first looking around then he said something like "Why are there 3 dead trees so close together". It was quick, quiet and easily missed. But that's why he dug there. In most shots they looked alive, but in 1-2 I could see that all the leaves were dying. Since they were already dying then pulling them up must not have been as big of a deal to him, though he still did apologize.

I found it interesting that the Brains tribe did so well, I think it was the reverse the last time they did this gimmick.

I agree with everyone that Darnell would have been better for the whole tribe in the long run. Alecia is not going to be loyal and the decision was definitely divisive among the people (the other 4) who need to stick together if they're going to succeed. That said, I don't like the other 4 at all, so I'm good with it.
Old 02-18-16, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Forget the "beauty" tribe... I think Liz is the hottest one on the show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.