TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Generation X Christian Slater National Geographic Series

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-16, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts
Generation X Christian Slater National Geographic Series

Anybody watching this on NGC?

If you were born somewhere between 1961-1981 you are in.

I assume most people on this board qualify and I fit right since I am slacker and a cynic of politics.

National Geographic Channel will premiere a miniseries about Generation X featuring Courtney Love, Sarah Palin, Julian Assange and Molly Ringwald.

Simply entitled Generation X, the six-part limited series was produced by Left/Right and will premiere on February 14 at 10 p.m. EST/9 p.m. CST. Each hour-long episode will cover cultural, political and economic topics through the lens of gen xers – the generation born between 1961 and 1981, following the post-war baby boom.

Episodes will focus on the release of Ben Stiller’s Reality Bites, Wikileaks, technological advances, the 2008 presidential election, and the legalization of gay marriage.

Other famous names set to appear include Kevin Smith, Gavin Newsom, Cory Booker, Alison Stewart, Rachel Dratch, Tabitha Soren, Sway Calloway and Nas. Actor Christian Slater narrates the series.
http://realscreen.com/2016/01/31/nat...s-in-february/

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BYaqh--Uhx0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-17-16, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts
Re: Generation X Christian Slater National Geographic Series

The forgotten generation because it was much smaller in number than the Baby Boomers and wasn't culturally different enough like the Millennials.
Old 02-17-16, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/G69nsT_WaIo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-17-16, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I forgot about the whole "slacker" stereotype- makes sense now, when I went back to college the past few years a lot of the kids seemed like overachievers in comparison and they're now my competition in the job market. I'll check this series out if it ever goes on disc or online.
Old 02-17-16, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am a proud member and my cynicism towards politics fits in with the demographic.

On the show they mentioned how generation X was bombarded with advertising which fueled that cynicism towards life.
Old 02-17-16, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I forgot about the whole "slacker" stereotype- makes sense now, when I went back to college the past few years a lot of the kids seemed like overachievers in comparison and they're now my competition in the job market. I'll check this series out if it ever goes on disc or online.
Yeah, I have to laugh when millennials whine about not being taken seriously by older people. Our generation heard the exact same thing in the early 90s when we were called slackers.

And I hate how forgotten Generation X is. Every article I read talks about what millennials versus baby boomers do. No one ever mentions my generation. I went to grad school at 40 and once I was talking to one of my millennial friends and he actually thought I was a baby boomer because I was older than him! I was like, ummm, baby boomers are like 60 years old, dude. He didn't even realize there was another generation in there. Not surprising since we are never mentioned at all.
Old 02-17-16, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
He didn't even realize there was another generation in there. Not surprising since we are never mentioned at all.
Isn't that what we all wanted?
Old 02-18-16, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

This "generation" stuff is made up by marketers and other bullshit artists. Everyone has their own loose definitions of what it means and the date ranges can slide and overlap whenever they want to lend credibility to whatever crap ideas they are peddling.

Old 02-22-16, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was pretty good. At first I wondered why they chose to start with Vietnam and Watergate, because as a prime gen-Xer (born in 1971), I have no personal memory of those events. But I thought this show made a really good point that even if we were too young to remember these events, they did inform the time that we came of age and probably colored the attitudes we have.

I loved how it made the point that by the time we were old enough to experience the "free love" of the 60s and 70s, we had to worry about dying of AIDS. I was surprised they didn't mention how we also grew up scared of nuclear war, but I suppose that will be in a different episode.
Old 02-22-16, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think they covered Nuclear war in episode 2. I never saw "The Day After"

I bet Republicans will not be happy with how they have been portrayed in this series lol.
Old 02-23-16, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll have to check this out since I'm at the tail end of gen X. The generations groupings have always struck me as odd. Since I was born in 80, not sure how much I really have in common with those born in 61 as a generation.

I also find it funny that GenX is completely missing from the conversation these days. Everything is about Baby Boomers and Millenials.
Old 02-23-16, 07:59 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I'm right in there, but I never heard of this- I'll have to check it out.
Old 02-23-16, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by msdmoney
I'll have to check this out since I'm at the tail end of gen X. The generations groupings have always struck me as odd. Since I was born in 80, not sure how much I really have in common with those born in 61 as a generation.

I also find it funny that GenX is completely missing from the conversation these days. Everything is about Baby Boomers and Millenials.
It was never widely picked up but the term Generation Y was made for those born in the 1980s.
Old 02-23-16, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

The generation lines definitely get blurred. I was born in '79 and have seen charts that say I'm the tail-end of Gen X or the start of Millenials.

But my wife was born in '82 and is always grouped with Millenials. So am I a different generation from my wife, even though I'm only three years older?

Similarly, my father-in-law was born 6 months before World War II ended. He claims he's not a baby boomer, but c'mon.
Old 02-23-16, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
The generation lines definitely get blurred. I was born in '79 and have seen charts that say I'm the tail-end of Gen X or the start of Millenials.

But my wife was born in '82 and is always grouped with Millenials. So am I a different generation from my wife, even though I'm only three years older?

Similarly, my father-in-law was born 6 months before World War II ended. He claims he's not a baby boomer, but c'mon.
I was born in '79 too and I like to think we exist in some sort of happy medium. On one hand, we're old enough to remember the 80s (when kids actually played outside, no internet, no cell phones etc.) but are young enough to be hip to all the modern-day gadgets and stuff popular today.
Old 02-23-16, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

My wife is also born in '82, and HATES being associated with millenials. I love to give her crap about it. I'm born in '78 so technically we are different generations (although I am older, so she can give me crap about that). The lines are always blurred, so it really doesn't mean much. But my wife found this article on the Oregon Trail subgeneration:

http://socialmediaweek.org/blog/2015...il-generation/

She likes that one a lot more then Gen X or Millenial
Old 02-23-16, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

That article is excellent except I think they misplace the missing generation. I think there really should be a generation between Baby Boomers and Gen X, not between X&M.

I mean growing up with the Beatles & Woodstock, living through disco and growing up on grunge are three very separate age groups which by definition GenX encompasses.
Old 02-24-16, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It was never widely picked up but the term Generation Y was made for those born in the 1980s.
I had forgotten about that term, but I remember when all the discussion was about Gen X there would be occasional mentions of Gen Y.

Pretty much the same, I was born in 80, my wife 82. We are basically the same generation.

Originally Posted by Jericho
My wife is also born in '82, and HATES being associated with millenials. I love to give her crap about it. I'm born in '78 so technically we are different generations (although I am older, so she can give me crap about that). The lines are always blurred, so it really doesn't mean much. But my wife found this article on the Oregon Trail subgeneration:

http://socialmediaweek.org/blog/2015...il-generation/

She likes that one a lot more then Gen X or Millenial
That article pretty well sums up my experience.