DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story (FX) -- Series Thread -- 2/2/16 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/630686-people-v-o-j-simpson-american-crime-story-fx-series-thread-2-2-16-a.html)

stingermck 02-08-16 08:12 AM

Re: The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story (FX) -- Series Thread -- 2/2/16

AMC also has weekly Walking Dead Marathon's :lol:

writer106 02-08-16 11:26 AM

Re: The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story (FX) -- Series Thread -- 2/2/16

Originally Posted by Red Dog (Post 12714409)
June 17, 1994 --- one of those days you never forget where you were. It was truly surreal.

Very true. I was 9 at the time and my brother and dad were Knicks fans. They were pissed at NBC's split scene coverage of the NBA finals and the OJ chase. My mom went into her bedroom to watch the chase on another channel.

The 30 for 30 documentary on the chase was good and blended footage of the hunt for OJ with the sports events that were going on that day.

Daytripper 02-08-16 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by writer106 (Post 12714757)
I watched it last night and I like it. I liked the song at the end. I think the weak cast members are going to David Schwimmer, Travolta, and Connie Britton. I'm a Connie Britton fan, but she is wrong the Faye Resnick role.

I didn't mind Schwimmer as much as I did Travolta and Gooding Jr. Both were horribly miscast. Travolta is embarrassingly bad. What a ham. And Gooding Jr., while he did his best, looks and sounds nothing like O.J. Like you, I love (love) Connie Britton. But as Faye Resnick!? Really?? Back to Travolta, how does that man keep getting work? He should just manage a 24 hour gym.

Traxan 02-09-16 11:11 AM

Travolta is a producer of the series. So he cast himself. And I agree, he is ridiculously miscast.

DWilson 02-09-16 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Traxan (Post 12719237)
Travolta is a producer of the series. So he cast himself. And I agree, he is ridiculously miscast.

The "producer" credit is just a "gimmee" title much like the "executive producer" titles for stars of long-running shows that are given as additional compensation. According to Entertainment Weekly, Ryan Murphy wanted Travolta but he was playing hard-to-get; Murphy gave up some of his profit "points" in the production and either gave them to Travolta directly or just used them to pay his asking price.

CRM114 02-09-16 01:35 PM

Funny, I remember a commentator a couple weeks ago saying about this show that it might do for Travolta's career what Tarantino did for him.

Jackskeleton 02-09-16 02:22 PM

So resurrect it for a hot minute before Travolta eventually sinks it again?

Jadzia 02-09-16 03:09 PM

I can't wait for the Bronco chase tonight!

I'm really surprised by how much I already love this show.

writer106 02-09-16 11:02 PM

Chase episode was great minus the scene of Kardashian kids.

windom 02-09-16 11:14 PM

A Pizza Hut with a Cisco IP phone in 1994? I don't think they even existed back then.

Double_Oh_7 02-09-16 11:39 PM

They make OJ look like a boy scout. Apologizing to everyone for causing so much trouble, worried about the people standing on the freeway -rolleyes-

TheKing 02-10-16 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by windom (Post 12720037)
A Pizza Hut with a Cisco IP phone in 1994? I don't think they even existed back then.

I was more surprised by the line about chicken wings. I'm pretty sure Pizza Hut didn't have wings in 1994.

Rob V 02-10-16 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Daytripper (Post 12718935)
I didn't mind Schwimmer as much as I did Travolta and Gooding Jr. Both were horribly miscast. Travolta is embarrassingly bad. What a ham. And Gooding Jr., while he did his best, looks and sounds nothing like O.J. Like you, I love (love) Connie Britton. But as Faye Resnick!? Really?? Back to Travolta, how does that man keep getting work? He should just manage a 24 hour gym.

Granted, I know nothing about Shapiro... but I refuse to believe Travolta is acting like he is to "ham it up". He comes across as over-dramatic and his face is annoying --- but I'm willing to be that's because Shapiro is too. Shockingly, Kardashian is quite the Type B personality so far. I expected him to be the annoying, over-the-top character who knows everything.

DWilson 02-10-16 06:44 AM

Talking about "Acting" is tricky, but I'll give it a shot. This is nothing new with Travolta. He always ACTS, -even in his best roles (or roles where's he's best used), he tends to put on a character, and you see him being very specific in his mannerisms and his way of speaking (particularly when he's playing "the villain"). He doesn't ever really come across as "natural". In this situation, he just stands out from the other actors because they're playing they're roles in a lower-key, less Theatrical way.

james2025a 02-10-16 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by DWilson (Post 12720121)
Talking about "Acting" is tricky, but I'll give it a shot. This is nothing new with Travolta. He always ACTS, -even in his best roles (or roles where's he's best used), he tends to put on a character, and you see him being very specific in his mannerisms and his way of speaking (particularly when he's playing "the villain"). He doesn't ever really come across as "natural". In this situation, he just stands out from the other actors because they're playing they're roles in a lower-key, less Theatrical way.

I agree with this. Travolta never comes across as natural and it is always blatant acting. Sometimes it can work for the character, but most times it just seems like someone trying too hard. I think the guy has a pretty high opinion of himself though. I recall seeing him on Inside the Actors Studio and he came across as douchey. I wonder how well he is paying the bills on that huge ass plane he owns with the DTV drivel he stars in these days.

mrhan 02-10-16 08:48 AM

I was watching it with my daughter and when the detectives first got to O.J.'s house I said "This guy Furman is going to jump the fence"...and he did. She asked how I knew that. The events are still pretty fresh in most people's memory.

The story so far is on point with the real events with some fake drama thrown in to move the story along.

DWilson 02-10-16 09:42 AM

There are plenty of articles, re-caps and such that will tell you where each episode has massaged the truth and where it has not, and I'm sure if anyone actually involved with the case sees anything egregious they'll be sure to alert the press.

Jadzia 02-10-16 11:28 AM

I thought the chase was pretty well done. They mostly showed only what happened inside that the Bronco that we can actually substantiate via 911 calls, etc. I was worried they would make up a bunch of stuff but I liked the way they did it.

Has AC ever talked about his version of what went down inside the Bronco?

EDITED TO ADD: Actually I found this article which says he has deliberately kept a low media profile
https://www.romper.com/p/where-is-ac...od-reason-5157

mhg83 02-10-16 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jadzia (Post 12720381)
I thought the chase was pretty well done. They mostly showed only what happened inside that the Bronco that we can actually substantiate via 911 calls, etc. I was worried they would make up a bunch of stuff but I liked the way they did it.

Has AC ever talked about his version of what went down inside the Bronco?

EDITED TO ADD: Actually I found this article which says he has deliberately kept a low media profile
https://www.romper.com/p/where-is-ac...od-reason-5157

If you watch the deposition tapes AC had to testify. When they start questioning him about Nicole, He breaks down crying and requests a break from questioning. You can tell he really loved Nicole.

Decker 02-10-16 05:04 PM

The use of Sabotage was brilliant! Fun episode.

I still wonder why AC wasn't charged with a crime. That's as much aiding and abetting a fugitive as anything I can remember.

Red Dog 02-10-16 07:21 PM

"He's black now."

Exactly what I thought of at the time.

Josh-da-man 02-10-16 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by TheKing (Post 12720106)
I was more surprised by the line about chicken wings. I'm pretty sure Pizza Hut didn't have wings in 1994.

They didn't.

The first time I had ever heard of "wings" (as in "Buffalo wings") was in this Domino's commercial, dated Christmas 1994. Which was, I think, the first time a national chain trotted out the wing thing. Not sure about Hooters or BWW, but Pizza Hut didn't get them until much later.

Pizza Hut didn't bring out wings until later, I think after that Jessica Simpson commercial promoting a Buffalo Chicken pizza.

The Cow 02-10-16 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 12720948)
They didn't.

The first time I had ever heard of "wings" (as in "Buffalo wings") was in this Domino's commercial, dated Christmas 1994. Which was, I think, the first time a national chain trotted out the wing thing. Not sure about Hooters or BWW, but Pizza Hut didn't get them until much later.

Pizza Hut didn't bring out wings until later, I think after that Jessica Simpson commercial promoting a Buffalo Chicken pizza.

Pizza Hut had wings in '95.

http://everything.explained.today/WingStreet/

The Cow 02-10-16 07:48 PM

They didn't.

Pizza Hut had wings in '95.

http://everything.explained.today/WingStreet/

Red Dog 02-10-16 08:17 PM

They didn't.

The first time I had ever heard of "wings" (as in "Buffalo wings") was in this Domino's commercial, dated Christmas 1994.

Hmmm. I went to Wednesday 10 cent wing night at a college bar starting in 1992.

1993 or 1994 sounds about right for it for the national chains.