DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story (FX) -- Series Thread -- 2/2/16 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/630686-people-v-o-j-simpson-american-crime-story-fx-series-thread-2-2-16-a.html)

dex14 10-07-14 11:56 AM

American Crime Story: The People v. O.J. Simpson -- coming to FX

FX and Ryan Murphy are expanding the American Horror Story franchise with another anthology series, this time focused on some of the biggest true crime stories. Fittingly, the new series, American Crime Story, is launching with one of the most famous cases of the past few decades: the murder trial of O.J. Simpson. FX has given a 10-episode, straight-to-series order to American Crime Story: The People Vs. O.J. Simpson.

Based on the book The Run of His Life: The People V. O.J. Simpson by Jeffrey Toobin, the first American Crime Story installment will be directed by Murphy from a script by Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski (The People Vs. Larry Flynt).

Murphy and fellow AHS co-creator/executive producer Brad Falchuk executive produce along with Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson (The Hunger Games) as well as Alexander & Karaszewski and Dante Di Loreto. Filming begins early next year in Los Angeles. FXP and Fox 21, the cable division of 20th Century Fox TV where Ryan is based, are producing.

"Time and time again, Ryan Murphy has transformed the medium of television by redefining genres and formats as he did with Nip/Tuck, Glee and the American Horror Story franchise, and we expect the same of American Crime Story,” said FX Networks CEO John Landgraf. “Scott and Larry have adapted Jeffrey Toobin’s book into a masterful 10-hour piece. I have no doubt that Ryan and his partners Nina Jacobson, Brad Simpson, Brad Falchuk, and Dante Di Loreto are going to make something very memorable here – and that it will be a spectacular first entry in what is destined to become a series of great true crime-based miniseries.”

American Crime Story: The People V. O.J. Simpson is a look at the Simpson trial told from the perspective of the lawyers that explores the chaotic behind-the-scenes dealings and maneuvering on both sides of the court, and how a combination of prosecution confidence, defense wiliness, and the LAPD’s history with the city’s black community gave a jury what it needed: reasonable doubt.

“This is an exciting project for me, as I’ve been looking for the right property which could serve as an extension of the American Horror Story brand I love so much,” Murphy said. “The O.J. case was as tragic as it was fascinating — it seemed like everyone had a stake in the outcome. It was really the beginning of the modern tabloid age.”

Like AHS, each season of ACS will tackle a different true crime story. The newest installment in the AHS franchise, American Horror Story: Freak Show, premieres tomorrow night.

“When Ryan has passion for a project, our entire company is energized by his enthusiasm and spectacular talent,” said Fox Television Group chairmen and CEOs Dana Walden and Gary Newman who used the famous moniker of Simpson’s defense team when describing the subspecies of The People vs. O.J. Simpson. “Nothing is more exciting than starting a juicy, new franchise with him, and the team behind-the-scenes is top-notch — a ‘dream team’ that rivals any ever assembled.”

Murphy, repped by CAA and attorney Craig Emmanuel, is coming off a best TV movie Emmy win for his HBO movie The Normal Heart. Jacobson and Simpson are repped by CAA; Alexander and Karaszewski are repped by CAA and attorney Christine Cuddy; and Falchuk is repped by WME and Gendler & Kelly.

The rights for Toobin’s book were repped by ICM Partners.

DJariya 10-07-14 12:05 PM

Re: American Crime Story - From creators of American Horror Story - coming to FX

Cool. A true crime anthology sounds interesting. If this does well, it has an endless lifespan.

Edit: Didn't realize the entire 1st season is dedicated to OJ. I live in So Cal and watched that entire thing 20+ years ago. I'm not sure if I could watch a 10 week dramatization of it.

bunkaroo 10-07-14 12:07 PM

Re: American Crime Story - From creators of American Horror Story - coming to FX

I was intrigued until I saw the subject of the first season. Pass. Maybe for those who didn't live through all the OJ coverage this might be interesting. I was sick of the coverage then and I certainly don't care to watch a dramatization of it.

DRG 10-07-14 01:00 PM

Yeah, the idea would work better with serial killer types like Son of Sam, Ed Gein, Dahmer, Bundy, Zodiac, Night Stalker, etc. OJ still feels so overexposed, somehow.

majorjoe23 10-07-14 01:31 PM

Yeah, I'll pass on an OJ dramatization. From the title I was hoping for something more like LA Confidential or Ed Brubaker's Criminal.

starseed1981 10-07-14 01:33 PM

FX + Ryan Murphy = Win. I'm in for this.

DaveyJoe 10-07-14 04:48 PM

I can't imagine anybody wanting to relive the OJ Simpson trial.

Gizmo 10-07-14 09:25 PM

Pass.

zoomgirl 10-07-14 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 12261110)
I was intrigued until I saw the subject of the first season. Pass. Maybe for those who didn't live through all the OJ coverage this might be interesting. I was sick of the coverage then and I certainly don't care to watch a dramatization of it.

100 percent agreed. I was in college at the time and I was "lucky" enough to be the one black waitress working in a restaurant when that verdict was read. I swear the entire bar turned around and looked at me.... no thanks!!! :D

Tom Creo 10-07-14 09:42 PM

Lol at all you peeps saying pass without seeing a bit of footage. Maybe wait till you see a trailer or commercial? Nawwwwww. Lets just shit on this now. Lol

Would give a shot to anything Ryan is involved with.

diditagain 10-08-14 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tom Creo (Post 12261969)
Lol at all you peeps saying pass without seeing a bit of footage. Maybe wait till you see a trailer or commercial? Nawwwwww. Lets just shit on this now. Lol

There are many people, myself included, who lived through the original OJ events of the 1990s and have no desire to see a dramatized version of the events, or him, onscreen, and seeing a trailer or commercial won't change that opinion.

The idea for American Crime Story is interesting, but I have zero interest in the subject of the first season. If the subject of the second season, if there is one, intrigues me, then I'll watch.

chowderhead 10-08-14 06:52 AM

Pass. The subject is too "recent" and for the most part, everybody who was breathing during that time already knows the details and have formed an opinion already. It's not something I want to watch again.

Goat3001 10-08-14 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by DRG (Post 12261192)
Yeah, the idea would work better with serial killer types like Son of Sam, Ed Gein, Dahmer, Bundy, Zodiac, Night Stalker, etc. OJ still feels so overexposed, somehow.

Absolutely. Any of those would have made for a great story to tell.

OJ just isn't a good choice for this. It's a retelling of a story everyone already knows. I was 9 during the OJ trial and while I don't remember details I do remember a lot. I feel there are so many documentaries and hour long specials about OJ that we don't need another retelling.

Either way, I'll probably check this out.

johnnysd 10-08-14 09:46 AM

OJ seems like a completely inspired horrible choice. If you are going to do this, either have a fictional story or something that still has some mystery and room for dramatic license like Black Dahlia, Jack the Ripper, the Zodiac, even the kidnapping of Lindbergh's baby. But OJ? Fuck that.

writer106 10-08-14 11:11 AM

I like the idea, but not the subject of OJ for the first season.

writer106 10-08-14 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by johnnysd (Post 12262353)
OJ seems like a completely inspired horrible choice. If you are going to do this, either have a fictional story or something that still has some mystery and room for dramatic license like Black Dahlia, Jack the Ripper, the Zodiac, even the kidnapping of Lindbergh's baby. But OJ? Fuck that.

There have been a few movies on the Lindbergh baby and the most recent IIRC ,was Crime of the Century on HBO back in the 90s. That movie was largely focused on Bruno Hauptmann. I do think that case would be better for this show than the OJ case.

My Other Self 10-08-14 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by diditagain (Post 12262222)
There are many people, myself included, who lived through the original OJ events of the 1990s and have no desire to see a dramatized version of the events, or him, onscreen, and seeing a trailer or commercial won't change that opinion.

The idea for American Crime Story is interesting, but I have zero interest in the subject of the first season. If the subject of the second season, if there is one, intrigues me, then I'll watch.

Exactly this. I will undoubtedly watch this but I am so O.J.'d out that I have no interest in this first season.

malichai 10-08-14 08:36 PM

Great idea, terrible first season choice. No interest whatsoever in a multi-episode fictionalized account of OJ's story.

Tom Creo 10-08-14 09:50 PM

Again, you have no clue on how this is gonna be presented. I watched this shit go down in the 90's as we and I hope that they don't glorify OJ but, like I said, I think Ryan deserves the benefit of a doubt.

My Other Self 10-08-14 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Creo (Post 12263202)
Again, you have no clue on how this is gonna be presented. I watched this shit go down in the 90's as we and I hope that they don't glorify OJ but, like I said, I think Ryan deserves the benefit of a doubt.

I'm sure not everyone has issues with the presentation. It's the fact that it was the biggest news story of our modern era, and frankly I don't care to hear anything about it anymore.

mhg83 10-08-14 10:14 PM

Maybe they'll set it in an alternate version of the events. Like OJ gets found guilty.

Tom Creo 10-08-14 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by My Other Self (Post 12263211)
I'm sure not everyone has issues with the presentation. It's the fact that it was the biggest news story of our modern era, and frankly I don't care to hear anything about it anymore.

Fair enough. I completely understand where you're coming from. I'm just hoping we'll get something new.

windom 10-08-14 10:51 PM

I'd rather see a fictionalized version of the D.B. Cooper story.

dex14 12-09-14 08:30 PM

FX has set Cuba Gooding Jr. and Sarah Paulson for lead roles in American Crime Story: The People v. O.J. Simpson, the first installment of Ryan Murphy’s new anthology miniseries, an offshoot of his hit American Horror Story FX franchise.

Based on the book The Run of His Life: The People v. O.J. Simpson, ACS: The People v. O.J. Simpson is a look at the O.J. Simpson trial told from the perspective of the lawyers that explores the chaotic behind-the-scenes dealings and maneuvering on both sides of the court, and how a combination of prosecution confidence, defense wiliness, and the LAPD’s history with the city’s African-American community gave a jury what it needed: reasonable doubt.

Oscar winner Gooding Jr. will play football star-turned-murder defendant Simpson and Paulson will portray the case’s prosecutor Marcia Clark. The first two hours will be written by Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski (The People vs. Larry Flynt), with Murphy set to direct. FXP and Fox 21 Television Studios produce.

Paulson, repped by UTA, is segueing to American Crime Story from flagship American Horror Story where she co-stars in the current installment Freak Show. She earned Emmy nominations for her roles in AHS: Asylum and AHS: Coven.

Gooding Jr., repped by ICM Partners, co-starred in Lee Daniels’ The Butler. He is currently seen in Selma, and co-stars in the upcoming BET miniseries The Book Of Negroes and Comedy Central series Big Time In Hollywood, FL.

Each season of American Crime Story will focus on a different famous true crime. Ryan is executive producing with fellow AHS co-creator Brad Falchuk, Nina Jacobson & Brad Simpson, Alexander, Karaszewski and Dante Di Loreto. Production begins early next year in Los Angeles.
http://deadline.com/2014/12/cuba-goo...fx-1201317622/

DeputyDave 12-10-14 06:27 AM

Dealing with the actual crime doesn't really interest me but actually really being about the trial and the "behind-the-scenes dealings and maneuvering on both sides of the court" makes me even less interested.

flashburn 12-10-14 05:14 PM

Cuba as OJ? Ugh.

Josh-da-man 12-10-14 08:17 PM

The OJ Simpson case?

Cool. That's something that we didn't hear a lot about at the time, so it'll be interesting to revisit it.

Mike86 12-10-14 08:36 PM

I think the idea for this series would be better if the stories weren't based on true cases. There are already a lot of series out there I suppose that are already in the serialized crime style and now True Detective is doing it anthology style, but I just don't think dramatizing true stories is that interesting of an idea personally.

DJariya 01-07-15 07:46 PM

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2.../20150107fx01/

John Travolta will be starring as Robert Shapiro

http://cdn01.cdnwp.celebuzz.com/wp-c...14-600x450.jpg

http://www.famousbirthdays.com/faces...bert-image.jpg

David Schwimmer will be playing Robert Kardashian.

http://pmctvline2.files.wordpress.co..._schwimmer.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...dashian_Sr.jpg

JOHN TRAVOLTA TAKES STARRING ROLE IN FX'S "AMERICAN CRIME STORY: THE PEOPLE V. O.J. SIMPSON"

Award-Winning Actor and Producer to Play Attorney Robert Shapiro, a Key Member of O.J. Simpson's Defense "Dream Team," and He Will Also Serve as Producer of the 10-Part Miniseries

He Returns to Television for His First Starring Role Since Welcome Back, Kotter

LOS ANGELES, January 7, 2015 - Welcome back indeed! In his first television starring role since Welcome Back, Kotter, award-winning actor and producer John Travolta will star as defense attorney Robert Shapiro in the FX miniseries American Crime Story: The People v. O.J. Simpson, from Executive Producers Ryan Murphy, Nina Jacobson, Brad Simpson, Scott Alexander, Larry Karaszewski, Brad Falchuk, and Dante Di Loreto.

The two-time Academy Award(R) nominated and Golden Globe(R) Award winning Travolta will portray Shapiro, a key member of O.J. Simpson's "Dream Team" during the sensational murder trial. He will also serve as a producer of the 10-part miniseries.

Travolta joins a stellar cast which includes David Schwimmer as O.J. Simpson's confidant and attorney Robert Kardashian, Academy Award winner Cuba Gooding Jr. as O.J. Simpson, and Emmy(R) and Golden Globe Award nominated actress Sarah Paulson as prosecutor Marcia Clark, who currently stars in American Horror Story: Freak Show.

American Crime Story: The People v. O.J. Simpson is written by Golden Globe-winning producers Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski (Big Eyes, The People v. Larry Flynt). Emmy and Golden Globe award winning producer and Emmy Award winning Director Ryan Murphy (American Horror Story, The Normal Heart) will direct the first episode. American Crime Story: The People v. O.J. Simpson is produced by Fox 21 Television Studios and FX Productions. Production begins this spring in Los Angeles.

Read more at http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2...L83kIdZ3kGy.99

writer106 01-07-15 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 12330400)
I think the idea for this series would be better if the stories weren't based on true cases. There are already a lot of series out there I suppose that are already in the serialized crime style and now True Detective is doing it anthology style, but I just don't think dramatizing true stories is that interesting of an idea personally.

I think dramatizing true stories tends to work ok when it comes to 2 hour movies or 2 or 3 part mini-series. There were some good made for TV movies and mini-series years ago that were based on true stories. I have to wonder how well it will work to dramatize a true crime story over 12 or 13 episodes.

d2cheer 01-08-15 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 12261232)
Yeah, I'll pass on an OJ dramatization. From the title I was hoping for something more like LA Confidential or Ed Brubaker's Criminal.

Yea that is what I was hoping...OJ? Fuck that already lived through that shameful trial.

mnementh 01-08-15 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by d2cheer (Post 12356300)
Yea that is what I was hoping...OJ? Fuck that already lived through that shameful trial.

Yup, a couple of millennials I just asked are unaware of the OJ trial.

Tom Creo 01-08-15 01:07 PM

Shit just got real.

dex14 05-21-15 03:11 PM

Cuba Gooding Jr. stars as O.J. Simpson; John Travolta is set as Robert Shapiro; David Schwimmer will play Robert Kardashian; Courtney B. Vance is Johnnie Cochran; Sarah Paulson is Marcia Clark and Billy Magnussen will portray Kato Kaelin.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sit...Cuba_Embed.jpghttp://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sit...ourt_Embed.jpghttp://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sit...avid_Embed.jpghttp://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sit...John_Embed.jpghttp://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sit...arah_Embed.jpghttp://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sit...Kato_Embed.jpg

dino88 05-21-15 05:57 PM

I'd be more interested if he wasn't involved. That said, I'll still check it out.

DJariya 12-02-15 08:56 PM

1st trailer

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/J2-vm-L_dk4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Premieres February 2, 2016

Osiris3657 12-03-15 09:24 AM

Ahh. Seen promos for this a bunch but didn't realize it was part of this new series. Nice. Looks good, I'll be watching.

DJariya 01-10-16 02:02 PM

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-season-851993

Season 2 story plans revealed. It will be about Hurricane Katrina and the aftermath.

majorjoe23 01-10-16 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12692361)
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-season-851993

Season 2 story plans revealed. It will be about Hurricane Katrina and the aftermath.

So season 2 will be Treme?

DJariya 02-02-16 01:20 AM

The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story (FX) -- Series Thread -- 2/2/16

http://dl9fvu4r30qs1.cloudfront.net/...oj-simpson.jpg

American Crime Story: The People v. O.J. Simpson, the latest limited series from FX, premieres on Tuesday, February 2 at 10 PM ET/PT. Based on the book The Run of His Life: The People V. O.J. Simpson by Jeffrey Toobin, the limited series is a look at the O.J. Simpson trial told from the perspective of the lawyers. It explores the chaotic behind-the-scenes dealings and maneuvering on both sides of the court, and how a combination of prosecution overconfidence, defense shrewdness, and the LAPD's history with the city's African-American community gave a jury what it needed: reasonable doubt. From Executive Producers Ryan Murphy, Nina Jacobson, Brad Simpson, Scott Alexander, Larry Karaszewski and Brad Falchuk, American Crime Story: The People v. O.J. Simpson stars John Travolta, Cuba Gooding Jr., Sarah Paulson, David Schwimmer, Courtney B. Vance, Sterling Brown, Nathan Lane, Kenneth Choi, Christian Clemenson and Bruce Greenwood. The limited series is produced by Fox 21 Television Studios and FX Productions.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Angel Parker as Shawn Chapman
· Billy Magnussen as Kato Kaelin
· Bruce Greenwood as Gil Garcetti
· Cheryl Ladd as Linell Shapiro
· Connie Britton as Faye Resnick
· Courtney B. Vance as Johnnie Cochran
· Cuba Gooding Jr. as O.J. Simpson
· David Schwimmer as Robert Kardashian
· Evan Handler as Alan Dershowitz
· Jake Koeppl as Ron Goldman
· John Travolta as Robert Shapiro
· Jordana Brewster as Denise Brown
· Joseph Siravo as Fred Goldman
· Keesha Sharp as Dale Cochran
· Kenneth Choi as Lance Ito
· Leonard Roberts as Dennis Schatzman
· Malcolm-Jamal Warner as Al "A.C." Cowlings
· Nathan Lane as F. Lee Bailey
· Rob Morrow as Barry Scheck
· Sarah Paulson as Marcia Clark
· Selma Blair as Kris Jenner
· Sterling K. Brown as Christopher Darden
· Steven Pasquale as Mark Fuhrman
· Tye White as Jason Simpson

CREW INFORMATION:
· Brad Falchuk as EP
· Brad Simpson as EP
· Dante Di Loreto as EP
· Jeffrey Toobin as BOOK
· Larry Karaszewski as CRTR/EP
· Nina Jacobson as EP
· Ryan Murphy as EP/DIR (Pilot)
· Scott Alexander as CRTR/EP

10 episode season. This will be an anthology series like American Horror Story. Season 2 is reportedly being developed about Hurricane Katrina.

80 minute Premiere Tuesday at 10pm ET

Promo featurette

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UTXovOaVQqE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

At 1st I wasn't too keen about watching this. But, after seeing some of the footage from the trailers and reading some positive reviews, I'm in.

Ken Tucker from Yahoo enjoyed what he's seen so far. 6 episodes were available for critics.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/people-v-oj...145713687.html

AV Club gave it an A-

http://www.avclub.com/review/fxs-peo...ts-ryan-231410

Alan Sepinwall gave it a glowing review.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...an-crime-story