DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story (FX) -- Series Thread -- 2/2/16 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/630686-people-v-o-j-simpson-american-crime-story-fx-series-thread-2-2-16-a.html)

Red Dog 03-09-16 05:12 PM

Re: The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story (FX) -- Series Thread -- 2/2/16

Originally Posted by mickey65 (Post 12746729)
In Jan Brady's voice: Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

I just have to say the gal playing her on the show looks so eerily like her.

Poor Marcia Marcia Marcia.

Sarah Paulson is nailing it.

And I loved "Mr. Johnnie." rotfl

hdnmickey 03-09-16 07:41 PM

Re: The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story (FX) -- Series Thread -- 2/2/16

I had no idea that Marcia had nude photos leak during the trial and that she was dealing with custody issues as well. Sucks that the prosecution blew it, but they are doing a good job of showing how overwhelmed they often were (if that is what they are going for). And it certainly didn't help that Fuhrman was a Nazi wannabe.

RichC2 03-09-16 08:43 PM

This show really is much better than it needed to be. Props to them on that.

Traxan 03-09-16 09:19 PM

"Goddamn, who turned her into Rick James?"

"Good morning Ms Clark. I think."

:lol:

DJariya 03-10-16 12:52 AM

Sarah Paulson was terrific in this episode. I also didn't realize how many personal problems Clark was experiencing during the trial. :lol: I also forgot about the shit she got for her awful hair.

brainee 03-10-16 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12747499)
Sarah Paulson was terrific in this episode. I also didn't realize how many personal problems Clark was experiencing during the trial. :lol: I also forgot about the shit she got for her awful hair.

I didn't know about the personal things she was going through either. But I couldn't forget about all the stupid ragging on her hair (it even managed to work it's way into jokes on sitcoms like Roseanne).

I loved: Can they say that word on tv? :lol:

mphtrilogy 03-11-16 07:15 AM

terrific ep, just hand paulson the emmy now

hdnmickey 03-11-16 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by brainee (Post 12748495)
But I couldn't forget about all the stupid ragging on her hair (it even managed to work it's way into jokes on sitcoms like Roseanne).

That I do remember. I can recall reading about it, and since I wasn't following the trial, checking out the pictures. First reaction was they are right, that hair is terrible. :lol:

I was thinking about how much I disliked Paulson before this series, and now I think she is awesome. Seems to be that in the past is all about not being able to stand the character she was playing. Ironic given that I didn't think much of the real Marica based on what was portrayed to the public during the trial, and after.

DWilson 03-11-16 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by brainee (Post 12748495)
I didn't know about the personal things she was going through either. But I couldn't forget about all the stupid ragging on her hair (it even managed to work it's way into jokes on sitcoms like Roseanne).

I loved: Can they say that word on tv? :lol:

According to one item I read, the book reveals that Clark was also bulimic for 20 years, -so, yeah, there was a lot going on there.

Traxan 03-11-16 11:18 AM

I had no idea it was this bad. I worked and traveled a lot then and didn't follow the trial. That trial must have driven her to the edge of a nervous breakdown. I wonder, though, couldn't her divorce and custody proceedings have been delayed? I mean, the judge certainly would understand her situation, even if her ex husband was being a dick about it.

But Kardashian and Cochrane are dead, so karma worked. How that drunk Bailey is still alive is a mystery.

DWilson 03-11-16 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Traxan (Post 12748786)
I had no idea it was this bad. I worked and traveled a lot then and didn't follow the trial. That trial must have driven her to the edge of a nervous breakdown. I wonder, though, couldn't her divorce and custody proceedings have been delayed? I mean, the judge certainly would understand her situation, even if her ex husband was being a dick about it.

But Kardashian and Cochrane are dead, so karma worked. How that drunk Bailey is still alive is a mystery.

and, apparently, Shapiro is one of the guys behind LegalZoom, which I've heard a lot of radio ads for.

bluetoast 03-11-16 12:32 PM

Was Darden really supposed to be this out of his depth? He seems like an amateur compared to everybody else, and that's including Cochran's assistants, even though he's supposedly been a lawyer for years (and that's not even including the real life glove incident).

Osiris3657 03-15-16 10:36 PM

Another solid episode. The actor playing Darden has to be a shoo in for Best Supporting Actor at the Emmys next year.

mickey65 03-16-16 08:58 AM

Cuba/OJ trying on the gloves - pretty spot-on to the original. It was all "acting", and if those rubber gloves weren't on underneath, I'm pretty sure they would have fit better also (besides the dried blood all over them shrinking them up some).

I was shocked to see Shapiro just casually walk over and try one of them on in front of everyone in court like that. Did that really happen?

Traxan 03-16-16 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by DWilson (Post 12748853)
and, apparently, Shapiro is one of the guys behind LegalZoom, which I've heard a lot of radio ads for.

And yet he's being portrayed as incompetent in this series.

Decker 03-16-16 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by mickey65 (Post 12752450)

I was shocked to see Shapiro just casually walk over and try one of them on in front of everyone in court like that. Did that really happen?

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/...pisode-7-recap

https://i.imgflip.com/p5s5j.jpg

dex14 03-16-16 08:46 PM

I love FX for continuing to have the balls to not shy away from the language.

DJariya 03-16-16 08:52 PM

:lol: at Cochran yelling out "Fuck!!!"

Poor Darden, he blew it with Marcia...:lol: If that's accurate to what happened.

I wonder if in the next episode we'll get Cochran's famous line...."If it doesn't fit, you must acquit" Was waiting for him to say it.

brainee 03-16-16 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12753028)
Poor Darden, he blew it with Marcia...:lol: If that's accurate to what happened.

I first thought the sexual tension between Darden and Clark was just FX taking license with the story. But reading more "fact checking" articles, it looks like it might've been on the mark.

I wonder if in the next episode we'll get Cochran's famous line...."If it doesn't fit, you must acquit" Was waiting for him to say it.

I have no doubt the line will be included when Cochran gives his closing argument (which is when it happened in real life).

windom 03-16-16 09:04 PM

:I wonder if in the next episode we'll get Cochran's famous line...."If it doesn't fit, you must acquit" Was waiting for him to say it.

Isn't that from the closing arguments?

hdnmickey 03-16-16 09:15 PM

Yup. Closing arguments.

Ever since they announced the not guilty verdict on our honeymoon I've always wondered what could have happened had Marcia got her way, and the gloves never get tried on. Still have the Fuhrman issue, but maybe that alone doesn't sink them.

This episode had me wondering just how much really happened. Darden wants Marcia? Lapel pin? Faxes from outside the courtroom?

whotony 03-16-16 09:17 PM

Yes.

Jadzia 03-16-16 10:34 PM

I was thinking they should have called this episode "No Glove, No Love."

:lol:

Bluelitespecial 03-16-16 10:42 PM

I went back and watched an old Chicago Bears game from 1985 on youtube. Man it was creepy hearing OJ call the game, and talking about one of his kids he just had with Nicole. I hope to see the show eventually it looks good.

Decker 03-16-16 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 12752243)
Another solid episode. The actor playing Darden has to be a shoo in for Best Supporting Actor at the Emmys next year.

No he's not. He'd be up against the better and flashier Courtney B Vance from the same show and the amazing Bokeem Woodbine from Fargo. Either of them is more deserving (though Sterling Brown has been great in his role as well).

The very last thing I was expecting to see on this show was a "Will They or Won't They" sexual energy between Chris Darden and Marcia Clark. What a testament to the actors that it works as well as it does.

Originally Posted by hdnmickey (Post 12753046)
This episode had me wondering just how much really happened. Darden wants Marcia? Lapel pin? Faxes from outside the courtroom?

The fax thing is mentioned in the Vanity Fair article I posted a link to above. It happened (though they're not sure if Dershowitz was in a class or not at the time).