Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

RIP Wayne Rogers, aka Trapper John from M*A*S*H

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-15, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
RIP Wayne Rogers, aka Trapper John from M*A*S*H

One of the greats of my TV-addicted youth. The show was at its very best in the early years with Trapper John and Henry Blake, IMHO. Sad to see him go.

Wayne Rogers, whose Trapper John McIntyre on "M.A.S.H." was among the most beloved characters on one of the most popular shows of all time, died Thursday.

The actor was surrounded by family when he died in Los Angeles of complications from pneumonia at age 82, his publicist and longtime friend Rona Menashe told The Associated Press.

As army surgeon Trapper John on "M.A.S.H.," Rogers swapped wisecracks with partner in martinis and mischief Hawkeye Pierce, played by Alan Alda.

The two doctors blew off steam between surgeries pulling pranks, romancing nurses and tormenting their tent-mate Frank Burns, always with an endless supply of booze and one-liners.

In one typical crack, Trapper answers a question with "How should I know? I dropped out of school to become a doctor."

Rogers was on the show for just the first three of its 11 seasons on CBS, but his run, and his character, are especially revered by show devotees.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...es-82-36041614
Old 12-31-15, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: RIP Wayne Rogers, aka Trapper John from M*A*S*H

The early years of M*A*S*H with Trapper were my favorite. Rogers and Alda were arguably one of the best duos on television. They played off each other beautifully and created some great, classic comedy moments. It was never the same after he left the show.

RIP
Old 12-31-15, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sad to hear.

Wayne
Old 12-31-15, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

4 down, 7 more to go.

None of the cast who've been there the entire run of the series has died yet (Alda, Swit, Farr and Christopher).
Old 12-31-15, 11:57 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
4 down, 7 more to go.

None of the cast who've been there the entire run of the series has died yet (Alda, Swit, Farr and Christopher).
Man, don't leave calling out out Radar, he goes back to the movie...(Gary Burghoff)

RIP Wayne. First thing that came to my mind was the Adam's Rib episode with Wayne on the phone trying to get the ribs.
Old 12-31-15, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Damn it RIP Trapper
Old 01-01-16, 12:03 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Radar didn't last the entire run.

RIP Wayne Rogers.
Old 01-01-16, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Does anyone know why he left the show after only three seasons? I don't remember him doing anything acting wise after he left. To me, it would be hard to walk away from such a successful TV show.
Old 01-01-16, 02:02 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Radar didn't last the entire run.
Ouch, I really screwed that up. Had it in my head that he went on to AfterMASH (**shudder**) and had his own pilot show, but forgot that he went home earlier - and left his teddy bear for Hawkeye.
Old 01-01-16, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
Does anyone know why he left the show after only three seasons? I don't remember him doing anything acting wise after he left. To me, it would be hard to walk away from such a successful TV show.
He did roles after MASH. But I remember seeing him on Financial and Business shows talking money over the years.

From Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Rogers

Financial career

Rogers began to test the stock and real estate markets during his tenure as a M*A*S*H cast member and became a successful money manager and investor. In 1988 and 1990, he appeared before the United States House Committee on the Judiciary as an expert witness, testifying in favor of retaining the banking laws enacted under the Glass–Steagal Act of 1933.[6] He appeared regularly as a panel member on the Fox Business Network cable TV stocks investment/stocks news program Cashin' In, hosted since 2013 by Fox News anchor Eric Bolling. In August 2006, Rogers was elected to the board of directors of Vishay Intertechnology, Inc.,[7] a Fortune 1000 manufacturer of semiconductors and electronic components. He was also the head of Wayne Rogers & Co., a stock trading investment corporation.

On April 23, 2012, Rogers signed on as the new spokesman for Senior Home Loans, a direct reverse mortgage lender headquartered on Long Island, New York. The national campaign is headed by industry veteran and Senior Home Loans chief executive offier Jason Levy, whose past experience included managing the Robert Wagner reverse mortgage campaign
Old 01-01-16, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RIP, I liked him more than Mike Farrell.
Old 01-01-16, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I always heard he didn't like that Alda eventually started getting all the attention, whereas they were on pretty equal ground when the show started.
Old 01-01-16, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Cheers, Trapper.
Old 01-01-16, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
In the movie, Trapper was the Chief Surgeon, and Gould and Sutherland were much more in the mold of co-leads.

Don't know what was sold to Rogers when he was cast, but a sitcom is going to have one star, and Rogers became increasingly frustrated with just being a supporting character on the Hawkeye show.
Old 01-01-16, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

I liked his banter in Cool Hand Luke, and I've used that while playing cards myself.

"Pair of Savannahs"

"The big ace gets a.......slap in the face"
Old 01-01-16, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

As a kid I hated MASH. It wasn't until I got to my mid 20s that I watched the DVDs and fell in love with the show. Death sucks
Old 01-01-16, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I also heard that his interest in investing came about because of character actors: people who'd held minor (but steady) jobs in TV and stage their entire adult lives, but didn't have much to show for it financially when it came time to retire. Rogers decided to do something to help them out. Don't know if that's true, though.