Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Long running TV shows you Regret watching ?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Long running TV shows you Regret watching ?

Old 12-12-15, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Long running TV shows you Regret watching ?

Dexter and True Blood
Old 12-12-15, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Weeds. Started really strong and then fizzled out.
Old 12-12-15, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Damfino
I have to go with Lost and Heroes. I'm not sure if Heroes qualifies as "long running" but it did seem too long for me. (And no, I didn't waste my time with this seasons revival)
If Phantom thinks Shield is long running then Heroes is too and was on longer then Shield up till now.

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
Weeds. Started really strong and then fizzled out.
Yeh proably weeds for me too.
Old 12-12-15, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Dexter. Should have ended after season 4. Last 4 seasons were a chore to get through. Some of the seasons were unwatchable pieces of shit (S6 and S8).
Old 12-12-15, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Finisher
That show still bothers me when I think about it. Started so strong, had such memorable characters, so much potential and ... pure shit in terms of where they went with it. Writers obviously were pulling the story out of their asses as they went along. Thing that got me is that every season or so they'd sort of reboot what was important on the show: it's all about Dharma! Desmond and Penny! Time travel! Jacob and his brother! Meanwhile, none of that shit wound up mattering at all.
I kept hearing how great the show was from a buddy of mine after his family bought the first couple of seasons on DVD. I finally borrowed the season one set but couldn't force myself to watch past the first three or four episodes. I felt bad for my buddy but just pretended I was too busy to give it a shot. It was all there people...
Old 12-12-15, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
If Phantom thinks Shield is long running then Heroes is too and was on longer then Shield up till now.
Yeah how is Agents of SHIELD considered long-running? We're 10 episodes into season 3.

Heroes I think fits the criteria somewhat since we're technically 10 episodes into season 5 right now.

I really can't say that I thought Dexter was a waste of time. I probably enjoyed 6 of the 8 episodes and IMO that doesn't make for a wasted time investment and each season is only 12 hours long. I get that many here were pissed off with season 8 and thought that it ended on such a crappy note, but in the grander scheme of things, I thought it was one of the most unique and compelling premium cable dramas in the last decade.

Disagree with the OP on Smallville. I was a huge fan and watched every episode, every season of it's entire 10 year run. Yeah there were some bad episodes here and there, but I never thought it was a waste of time. I know some here share my opinion, but I think the show ended on a really strong creative note in season 8-10, which was after the original creators left.
Old 12-12-15, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

I am projecting ahead, Marvel/Disney will not let that show get canceled before it gets five very long seasons on ABC. Jump off now, you'll regret watching season 4 of SHIELD when Coulson is infused with Asgardian blood and given super powers.

After reading this thread I am glad I gave up on How I Met Your Mother in season two.
Old 12-13-15, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 972 Likes on 605 Posts

I watched the first 3-4 seasons of Grey's Anatomy. Glad I gave it up when I did, as I hear it got even worse, but I wish I hadn't even started it.
Old 12-13-15, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Two and a Half Men

I'm not sure regret is the right term but I feel flat out dirty that I watched 12 seasons of Two and a Half Men. Oh sure I can lie to myself that part of the reason is my local CBS stations starts prime time at 7pm. So I have less viewing conflicts but come on, that's not a decade+ level of excuse.

I got Stockholm syndrome and ended up liking the damn show. I was glad it finally ended being it was the only way I was going to stop watching. Like someone who needs their gym to burn down to stop the membership or something.
Old 12-13-15, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heroes (including Reborn)
Old 12-13-15, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Californication
Old 12-13-15, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 195 Likes on 167 Posts

- Dynasty
- Dallas after the "dream" season

Largely watched these two shows with various then-gfs. (Thankfully they didn't ask me to watch any daytime soaps with them).
Old 12-13-15, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
I watched the first 3-4 seasons of Grey's Anatomy. Glad I gave it up when I did, as I hear it got even worse, but I wish I hadn't even started it.
Now I remember I did the same. I wasn't watching the show but a friend insisted it was great so she gave me the first couple seasons on DVD back when it on s4 I think. It was pretty fun at first but not sure they keep it going. It became suckolicious in a few seasons.
Old 12-13-15, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Damfino
I have to go with Lost and Heroes. I'm not sure if Heroes qualifies as "long running" but it did seem too long for me. (And no, I didn't waste my time with this seasons revival)
This would have been my response verbatim.
Old 12-13-15, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
Heroes (including Reborn)
Heroes, minus Reborn.

I started watching Heroes with the wife and even though it became garbage pretty quickly she insisted we keep watching it as a couple.

But when Reborn started up I put my foot down and told her I didn't think our marriage could survive Reborn. Thankfully she relented.
Old 12-13-15, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

I never grew to dislike Lost, but I admit the last couple of seasons weren't as strong as previous ones. I don't regret that show at all, though. Still one of my favorites.

Some that I wonder why I still watch when they've long since become a parody of themselves and/or gotten stale:

Bones - end this show already. The first few seasons were great, but it's a chore to sit through now and I like to finish what I started, so I keep watching.

Supernatural - After Season 5, this show has been largely pointless, with too much focus on angels while rehashing previous storylines. Plus, they kill off any good recurring characters while forcing Castiel and Crowley (who were both great characters once) down our throats.

I'll agree with Heroes after Season 1. What a trainwreck that show became.
Old 12-13-15, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Dexter by far is the one I regret watching the most. Easily one of the worst final seasons to a series ever that completely destroys what came before. Even then looking back though it turned to shit fairly early on but I just kept watching out of habit. I am curious if Showtime's revival will go anywhere or not but I likely wouldn't watch it.
Old 12-13-15, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
It was same with me. In the past several years, I read up on the show on recap sites or in magazines and I have friends who still watch. The death storylines sounded awful and I tuned in to the episode of Derek's death. It was bad. I also watched the first two seasons of Shonda Rhimes Scandal and I've been hesitant to watch the other seasons because of Shonda's track record with GA and I've heard mixed things from viewers.
Old 12-13-15, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Heroes and HIMYM are great answers. Both had solid beginnings (season 1 for Heroes and seasons 1-4 of HIMYM) but everything after just makes you hate everything you like about the show to begin with.

I've tried watching an episode of HIMYM here and there late at night in syndication and it's just not good. The final 5 seasons, especially the final season destroyed whatever charm the show started out with.
Old 12-13-15, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Dexter by far is the one I regret watching the most. Easily one of the worst final seasons to a series ever that completely destroys what came before. Even then looking back though it turned to shit fairly early on but I just kept watching out of habit. I am curious if Showtime's revival will go anywhere or not but I likely wouldn't watch it.
The showrunners made the mistake of thinking Dexter was actually a hero and someone people rooted for. Plus under the original showrunners it was pretty obvious his sister was going to figure out Dexter through police work.
Old 12-14-15, 12:34 AM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Oz. What a vile series and stupid to boot. (In fairness, the first season was good and then it just became a stupid soap opera that annihilated the suspension bridge of disbelief. If a warden had a prison with that heavy a body count he would be out of job!)
Old 12-14-15, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned "The X-Files". Much of its run was pretty terrific, but once Duchovny (and then Anderson) left, the show went downhill quick. That being said, -and getting back to the original point of the thread, -I don't regret watching those seasons before it went off the rails.
Old 12-14-15, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts

Yeah, my two more recent regrets are True Blood and Sons of Anarchy.

True Blood, I don't even recall how it ended.
Sons, I wish I could forget how it ended...
Old 12-14-15, 11:12 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Weeds definetly comes to mind. I binged watched it last year, and everyone here warned me the show gets bad after a few seasons and they were right. I think I got to the start of Season 5 or 6 and bailed, then just watched the Series Finale.
Old 12-14-15, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Lost.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.