TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Marvel's Jessica Jones (Netflix) - Season 1 Discussion Thread - 11/20/15

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-15, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
Re: Marvel's Jessica Jones (Netflix) - Season 1 Discussion Thread - 11/20/15

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Whatever the film side is fucking up on scripting their villains, they need to fix by talking to the Netflix guys. Cuz Fisk and Kilgrave are immediately great characters. And it's not just the actors playing them. Which is what the Loki character has... cuz it ain't the scripts that make Loki great.
Hell, even Ward on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D runs circles around the movies' villains.
Old 11-22-15, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm 7 episodes in and enjoying it quite a bit, but i'll be the odd man out and say that I liked Daredevil more. At least at this point in the show - I know Daredevil took it's time developing characters, so i'm looking forward to more of that here. Hoping to finish before the Thanksgiving break when I go out of town.

I don't know what Agents of Shield has to do with anything, but hey that show is really good too! Yay!
Old 11-22-15, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Thing is though villains on a show done right usually are (and should be) great because they have more time to be built up over the course of multiple episodes/seasons. If the villains in the MCU carried over more I think they'd be more impactful. The problem is that in the films most of them have felt like they're only present to give the heroes their purpose for the current film and a lot of them don't make it past whatever film they're present for.
Old 11-23-15, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the problem with the film's villains that unlike the heroes, they don't have the time to flesh them out and so they come off very 2 dimensional. This show has how many episodes to slowly show that these bad guys are a major threat and that there's more angles to them. Which does make it more compelling than whatever the films are throwing at us as an option for the heroes to just punch.
Old 11-23-15, 06:37 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Plus they made a scene where a guy burns out a circular saw on his abs meaningful without being super cheesy, that takes Skil.
i see what you did there.

I'm 4 eps in... so far so great!
Old 11-23-15, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good series. Like all comic shows, their power is never consistent.

Spoiler:
how can the bar explosion did not caused any harm to Luke but the friggin shotgun to the head did? Also, Jessica is strong or stronger than Luke yet can't fight off a few humans. Just dumb.

If they really want to kill Kilgrave, just get a damn sniper and he would be dead easily
Old 11-23-15, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I made I through 7 episodes over the weekend. Maybe I can space the next 6 out through next weekend.
Old 11-23-15, 09:24 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Finished it right now. Overall. I think this one has a much more steady line quality. DD was a great show but sometimes it dipped a bit. JJ is pretty steady throughout. Was glad to see how Jones ended it. DD is still the better show. I just prefer it more as well. It had an insanely varied and diverse cast. JJ was a bit smaller. I liked that it was a mostly female dominated supporting cast. I really enjoyed Patsy Walker. The Jewel moment and such. I think for what the show lacked in properly moderating what Jones, or even Cage, could do or withstand... the show fully developed them to be real people. They felt real in this world. That's my issue w/ the WB DC stuff and AoS. They don't feel like a fully realized world. Netflix Marvel is rocking it w/ their creativity.

I prefer DD over JJ. Still a solid show though. Really wondering wtf they do w/ Cage.

Really excited for DD S2. Frank Castle and Elektra. Shit is going to get wild here. I hope The Hand really shows up.
Old 11-23-15, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just finished the series and I loved it. Great casting choices all around. Guy who played Kilgrave nailed it.
Old 11-23-15, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I finished it this afternoon. I think it was better than Daredevil, which I really liked. Ritter just had a good combination of being vulnerable and being able to destroy you at any time. Tennant was exactly what I expected, great as usual. Disney Marvel needs to take some notes how to develop villains without turning them into cardboard plot devices. I thought Cage was a nice addition, but he could have been left out and the show still would have been just as good.
Old 11-23-15, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

I kinda wish they had some more connectivity other than the night nurse. Then again, I'm conflicted and think that's just wishful thinking and it worked out well with how it was in the same burrow but took place on its own.
Old 11-24-15, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Finished it tonight. I still think Daredevil was better, largely because of the strength of Fisk in that show over Kilgrave here - whom I actually didn't care that much for as a character despite the craziness of his actions. As creepy and haunting as Kilgrave's powers were at their worst, his motivations just didn't have the depth that Fisk did in Daredevil. Some spoilers -

Spoiler:
His entire origin and just being crazy for Jessica's affections were fairly weak motivations to me. Yes, the crazy moments in the show really showed off his powers and made for really shocking scenarios, whether it be Hope's parents, Kilgrave's parents, or the entire noose sequence - it still felt fairly shallow in the end even if it does make complete sense for someone to obsess over. I also didn't care that throughout the series Jessica basically captures him 3 different times or so only to let him escape again and wreak more havoc.

It was still really fun and entertaining, and I like where Jessica ends up at the end of the show. I could have done without a lot of the side characters, who it felt get a lot of screen time but just don't end up that interesting to me outside of Luke and the initial development of Malcom.

It's interesting, as focused and lean both Daredevil and Jessica Jones have been as far as putting together a tight 13 episode series and story, with Jones I almost would be ok with just seeing filler episodes and watching her take on random PI cases. I think that goes to the strength of Ritter in the role more then anything.
Old 11-24-15, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I'm only about half way through but I'm enjoying this a lot more than Daredevil which just felt like a lot of filler for the most part.

The one thing I can't shake though is this feels like a live action adaptation of those old Sierra adventure games, ie: Gabriel Knight, Laura Bow. But considering those games are a huge soft spot for me, it doesn't surprise me that I'm pretty taken with the show.

Edit: Didn't realize this is from the same lady that did the adaptation of Dexter for seasons 1 - 4. That's the other show this one reminded me of.

Last edited by RichC2; 11-25-15 at 07:43 AM.
Old 11-24-15, 04:59 PM

Did they ever say who the "special" person Rosario Dawson's character knew?
Old 11-24-15, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by bigsoos
Did they ever say who the "special" person Rosario Dawson's character knew?
She never says directly in the show, but it was an obvious nod for the audience. Are you asking because you don't know?

Spoiler:
Daredevil, since she was on that show. Unless you didn't watch that one.
Old 11-24-15, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
She never says directly in the show, but it was an obvious nod for the audience. Are you asking because you don't know?

Spoiler:
Daredevil, since she was on that show. Unless you didn't watch that one.
Haven't watched it yet, next up on list
Old 11-25-15, 07:58 AM

Best line of the show so far (episode 8)...
Spoiler:
"We can go about our business... move along, move along."
Old 11-25-15, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by zuffy
Good series. Like all comic shows, their power is never consistent.

Spoiler:
how can the bar explosion did not caused any harm to Luke but the friggin shotgun to the head did? Also, Jessica is strong or stronger than Luke yet can't fight off a few humans. Just dumb.

If they really want to kill Kilgrave, just get a damn sniper and he would be dead easily
Spoiler:
My guess is fire isn't that big a deal while the concussion of the slug caused his brain to take the damage. Had he stayed in the heat maybe actually cooking would have taken him out. Also, they talked about the sniper option fairly often. A) It takes set-up to do it right, & B) His fail-safe of having people kill themselves if he was threatened or killed would kick in.

The only part I found goofy was her getting KOed for hours when a weak woman nails her with a 2x4 but she takes multiple shots from actual super-powered people with not much problem.

I do want to add how much I liked Simpson/Nuke in this. I thought he was a great addition.
Old 11-25-15, 01:46 PM
Banned

I would like to see that in the DD series. Just to get our Born Again.

The moment the pills came up, I geeked out. Loved his little lighter too. Nice nods to the comics.
Old 11-26-15, 08:57 AM

Finished it this morning. I still like Daredevil a bit better because of Fisk, but man, was Tennant great as Killgrave.

I thought Simpson was over the top and didn't like any scene he was in... came off too Soap-Opera-ish for me compared to the rest of the cast.

For me DD was an A- and JJ was a B+... but still fantastic television(?) all the way around!

... now I can start Man in the High Castle.
Old 11-26-15, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
End of the first episode was pretty shocking and sold me. Just finished the second episode and hooked on seeing how Kilgrave develops - sounds like it's pretty awesome.
I'm at the same point and had the same opinion. I'll probably stay out of this thread, now, until I'm done.
Old 11-27-15, 11:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Finished the series yesterday. Loved the whole thing. There is one question that I think I missed the answer to...

Spoiler:
Why/how was she immune to him suddenly?
Old 11-27-15, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by zuffy
Spoiler:
This is the problem with Netflix shows -- you never know what you can and can't spoil. So, erring on the side of caution...

Spoiler:

Luke has impenetrable skin but he is not invulnerable. He isn't Superman. His organs can be damaged. The shotgun blast to his head didn't penetrate his skin but the blast's shock-wave did and it clearly affected his brain. The nurse removed fluid from his brain (via his optic nerve! I'm not that squeamish but I had to turn away from the TV for that scene) and she was icing his head to reduce the swelling in his brain.

As for Jessica she can be, and was, injured. She had broken ribs and that'll slow down anybody.

This has now become my favourite "superhero" show. Actually I think that with the exception of Daredevil all other superhero shows (like the Flash, Green Arrow, and Supergirl) suck mightily. But that's a whole 'nuther post. I love that Jessica isn't invulnerable and that she is flawed both in her powers and her mind. I loved Trish, best sidekick ever and most excellently portayed by Rachel Taylor. I loved Kilgrave -- David Tenant is fucking awesome -- best villain ever; I especially loved how they very intelligently and very believably wrote his character's ability to cater for all contingencies. I loved how everyone on this show reacts the way you expect people to react; very often writers take shortcuts and make characters behave stupidly in order to move the story along but they never did this on this show. And most of all I loved Krysten Ritter. I only knew her from ditsy roles in Gilmore Girls and Veronica Mars and that short-lived sitcom from a few years ago so I was enormously, and very pleasantly, surprised at how masterfully she pulled off this role.

Bring on season 2!
Old 11-27-15, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Lifepawn
Spoiler:
Why/how was she immune to him suddenly?
Spoiler:

Kilgrave forced her to do something she was vehemently opposed to doing -- kill Luke Cage's wife (I forget her name). This caused her to psychologically snap which gave her an immunity to his "virus". Remember that this is a comic book story with comic book logic.
Old 11-27-15, 06:10 PM
Banned

Reva. I think that's how they spell that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.