Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Discovery -- from EP Bryan Fuller -- Coming to CBS All-Access in 2017

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Discovery -- from EP Bryan Fuller -- Coming to CBS All-Access in 2017

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-16, 02:40 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Discovery -- from EP Bryan Fuller -- Coming to CBS All-Access in 2017

There looks to be an interesting special on History Channel tonight, 8.14.16. "50 Years of Star Trek". Looks to be new and boasts last final interview with Leonard Nimoy...
Old 08-14-16, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Discovery -- from EP Bryan Fuller -- Coming to CBS All-Access in 2017

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Ah, I see. So because of a personal experience, you're biased against more diverse hiring and representation in films.
No, not at all. I'm just opposed to discriminating against anyone based on ethnicity or gender, even if that group had been overrepresented in the past. Be fair with everyone, that's all I'd like to see.

I do (and I'm sure you do too) see people who support the idea that unfairly discriminating against white men is fair since white men had it good for such a long time. Discrimination based on any ethnicity is discrimination, and it's all unacceptable.

We'll see how this turns out. Maybe they'll be fair and evenhanded with the characters with Discovery, but so far it doesn't sound that way. I hope it does. Star Trek is supposed to be INclusive, not exclusive.
Old 08-14-16, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
While cable and streaming has filled in the gaps, most of network TV shows are relegated to sitcoms and reality shows. They're far cheaper to produce. The number of network dramas has dropped by about 50% over the last 20 years.
I don't think the facts support your case:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/17/bu...cord.html?_r=0
For 2015, there will have been 409 original scripted television series on broadcast, cable and online services, according to the research department of FX Networks. That number is close to double the number of scripted shows just six years ago (when there were 211, FX said) and represents a record, easily surpassing 2014, when there were 376 scripted shows.

The growth is across the board. The number of scripted original series on basic cable has jumped 174 percent since 2009. Premium cable is up a further 76 percent, and the broadcast networks are up 20 percent. Online services, including Netflix and Hulu, which had only 15 original scripted shows three years ago, ballooned to 44 this year.
Scripted roles are on a rise.

And the number of movies in production has also dropped due to increased costs. Hell, in the 40's the major studios had a movie come out almost every week! Now it's 4-5 times a year for many of them.
The major studios make less movies, but that's ignoring all the smaller studios or independent productions.

Just as example, IMDB lists 7,109 Films/TV Shows from the US in 2015:
http://www.imdb.com/search/title?yea...dv_explore_rhs

Meanwhile, for 1985, it only lists 583:
http://www.imdb.com/search/title?yea...dv_explore_rhs

...virtually no one will care if straight white men are underrepresented in the future...
If that ever actually happens, people may care. However, we're nowhere near that situation right now.

I mean, even accounting for just the top 100 films, women are still underrepresented:
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/09...ers-2015-films
Old 08-14-16, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A quick perusal of the four major networks show that a whopping three dramas (NCIS: LA, Empire, and Rosewood) have a lead character who is non-white. So don't worry white guys, there's still plenty of roles left for you!
Old 08-14-16, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

^ You can add:
Scandal
How To Get Away With Murder
Quantico
Jane The Virgin (Maybe this is a comedy & on the CW though)
Old 08-15-16, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by windom
^ You can add:
Scandal
How To Get Away With Murder
Quantico
Jane The Virgin (Maybe this is a comedy & on the CW though)
And, in reality, Bones and The Blacklist have female leads, too. (On The Blacklist James Spader gets significantly less screen time than Megan Boone does, and on Bones Emily Deschanel is a co-lead on equal footing with David Boreanaz.)

And that's fine. They're good shows and good characters.
Old 08-15-16, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Defiant1's list is of all male lead roles, of which only 3 are to non-white men.

windom and B5Erik's lists are of female leads, which is somewhat separate. Theoretically, about half the leads should be female to match the demographics, but there's, at best, 5 female leads.

So white men are still getting the majority of roles.
Old 08-15-16, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the character came first, yes. It's all about what comes organically. Does someone think of a great character and then make them a particular ethnicity or gender? Or are they forcing it by choosing the ethnicity or gender first and then trying to come up with a character to fit that ethnicity or gender?
You haven't explained why one is "organic" and the other "forced." Ethnicity and gender have a lot to do with who a person is -- their cultural heritage, their experience in society, what type of family relationships they have. Being French is a major part of who Captain Picard is -- why would it be wrong to start with that and work out his character from there.

Look, I'm a writer. I'm currently working on a fantasy novel set in the DC area. I'm very aware of the ethnic makeup of the DC suburbs, and I take that into account every time I create a character. So I have to come up with a new character. Let's make her Middle Eastern ... Iranian, that's good. I know, her grandfather was a historian who fled the country after the revolution and took a professorship at Oxford. Her father grew up to be a BBC newscaster who's assigned to the Washington bureau. Her parents are divorced -- her mom's still living in Britain where she's a fashion designer. Because of her family history, she's not very devout, doesn't wear a head scarf, only goes to Mosque on holidays and doesn't sweat if she misses a prayer, but she still thinks pigs are filthy animals and won't eat pork. She feels driven to excel academically and is in tons of clubs at school, including the academic trivia team, and every night she and her family sit down to watch Jeopardy.

But I started with her ethnicity, so I guess that's not organic, is it?

I'll bring it back to Geordi LaForge. That character had no color or ethnicity. LeVar Burton came in and won the role and it became a great character because it was natural and not predetermined where someone was trying to shoehorn a particular ethnicity in to the show. Geordi was a great character and LeVar Burton was one of the best Star Trek actors of that era. That's the ideal way to make it happen.
JayG already pointed out that this is false in terms of race, but you're overlooking another key point -- the writers started with the idea that Geordi would be blind. They didn't develop the character "organically" and then give him his VISOR; they used that as the seed upon which to build the character.

Women were excluded in the past because they didn't have leadership roles in real life. No one would have bought it then. That started changing 50 years ago and women have been getting good roles more and more as time has gone by.
Because only people in leadership roles can be the center of stories, amirite?

And while the number of leading roles for women has certainly increased in recent years, it's nowhere close to parity.

The same is true for people of color. As far as the LGBT segment goes it is a very, very small percentage of the population, so expecting to see them represented in every show or movie (or even 1/4 of them) isn't statistically valid.
Gays, lesbians and bisexuals account for about 5% of the population. That means one in twenty TV shows or movies should have a gay lead character, and, yes, 1/4 should have a gay character in the main cast. We are nowhere close to that.

[qutoe] If a character fits the situation or concept naturally, great! Include them. But, again, shoehorning them in because there is a politically correct social justice agenda doesn't make for better filmmaking or television shows.[/quote]

It doesn't make for bad television, either. It depends upon the quality of the producers and writing staff whether it works or not. And since we're discussing the new Star Trek show, which includes Bryan Fuller and Nicholas Meyer, there's no reason to worry in that regard.

Reverse discrimination happens every day. My dad lost out on a job with the County of San Diego because, while he was the most qualified candidate, there was a black woman who passed the assessment test as, "Qualified," and their rules stated that they had to hire the most qualified minority if they passed the test. My dad scored a 93 and the woman who got the job scored an 88. (The hiring manager told my dad this as he apologized for not being able to hire him - the manager wanted to hire my dad since he was the most qualified candidate and killed it in the interview, but the rules wouldn't allow the manager to hire my dad. That's not right. He probably shouldn't have given that information out, but he clearly was unhappy with rules that prevented him from hiring the best candidate for the job and was hoping my dad would hire a lawyer. He didn't. He just moved on with his life - but he could have had a great job if reverse discrimination weren't practiced by the government.)
So your dad was slightly more qualified (according to the story he told you, which absolutely must be 100% accurate), therefore it was wrong for the HR department to maximize diversity? Because test scores are the only thing that matter in hiring decisions.

Not as many as they had 20 or 30 years ago.

Look, I'm all for including everyone when it fits the project naturally. But when you say, "OK, checklist - Lead character, woman of color - Check! Gay character - Check! Strong female supporting character - Check," that's not how you make good movies or TV shows.

It should be come up with characters first. Fine tune them, and if they happen to fit those checkboxes, GREAT! If not, the point is to make a great show or movie, not push an agenda at all costs.
Yes, and when this results in overwhelmingly white, straight male casts, you'll just shrug and say, "They're just hiring the best actors for the job."
Old 08-15-16, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
You haven't explained why one is "organic" and the other "forced." Ethnicity and gender have a lot to do with who a person is -- their cultural heritage, their experience in society, what type of family relationships they have. Being French is a major part of who Captain Picard is -- why would it be wrong to start with that and work out his character from there.

Look, I'm a writer. I'm currently working on a fantasy novel set in the DC area. I'm very aware of the ethnic makeup of the DC suburbs, and I take that into account every time I create a character. So I have to come up with a new character. Let's make her Middle Eastern ... Iranian, that's good. I know, her grandfather was a historian who fled the country after the revolution and took a professorship at Oxford. Her father grew up to be a BBC newscaster who's assigned to the Washington bureau. Her parents are divorced -- her mom's still living in Britain where she's a fashion designer. Because of her family history, she's not very devout, doesn't wear a head scarf, only goes to Mosque on holidays and doesn't sweat if she misses a prayer, but she still thinks pigs are filthy animals and won't eat pork. She feels driven to excel academically and is in tons of clubs at school, including the academic trivia team, and every night she and her family sit down to watch Jeopardy.

But I started with her ethnicity, so I guess that's not organic, is it?
You went out of your way to create a Middle Eastern character. Why? Because there was a great story to tell there, or because you felt that someone of that ethnicity should be included in your story? Just an honest question. If you really thought it was a great story to be told then more power to you. If it was because, "Well, I need to include this minority since they don't get their stories told," then that's not organic and makes your job as a writer harder. Does that ethnicity push the story forward, is it a natural part of the story that NEEDS to be told, or is it just because?

JayG already pointed out that this is false in terms of race, but you're overlooking another key point -- the writers started with the idea that Geordi would be blind. They didn't develop the character "organically" and then give him his VISOR; they used that as the seed upon which to build the character.
He started without the VISOR because Roddenberry thought it would be hilarious to have a blind man steering the ship. The visor came about because they needed some way for him to know how to steer the ship when there are no actual buttons to press (they smartly used an early preview of a touchscreen for the controls).

But he wasn't black initially. He was just blind. I may have been wrong as to when they decided to make him black, but initially it was just a blind helmsman because Roddenberry thought it was inherently funny.

He was a great character, though - I think we can agree on that.

Because only people in leadership roles can be the center of stories, amirite?
Well, typically on Star Trek it is the Captain and his/her command staff (highest ranking officers) that they focus on...

And while the number of leading roles for women has certainly increased in recent years, it's nowhere close to parity.
And that matches real life, too. It's changing, and within my lifetime we will see more women in leadership roles than men because women outnumber men in colleges by over 10%. That will then change on TV and in the movies. Bet on it.

Gays, lesbians and bisexuals account for about 5% of the population. That means one in twenty TV shows or movies should have a gay lead character, and, yes, 1/4 should have a gay character in the main cast. We are nowhere close to that.
What? Wait, so they make up 5% of the population but should be in 25% of the TV show casts? Huh??? I'm not quite sure I understand that math...

If a character fits the situation or concept naturally, great! Include them. But, again, shoehorning them in because there is a politically correct social justice agenda doesn't make for better filmmaking or television shows.
It doesn't make for bad television, either. It depends upon the quality of the producers and writing staff whether it works or not. And since we're discussing the new Star Trek show, which includes Bryan Fuller and Nicholas Meyer, there's no reason to worry in that regard.
While I love Nicholas Meyer I have no idea how actively involved he'll be. He's not a young man anymore, so the day to day TV show work is probably not what he'll be involved in. My bet is that he'll come up with some ideas, act as a consultant giving opinions on characters and stories, but that's about it. I have NO point of familiarity with Bryan Fuller. I know none of his works, so I have no basis to put any faith in him.

Oh, shit. He was a writer/producer on Voyager. That show SUCKED. Great characters, lousy stories/plot writing.

Bummer.

So your dad was slightly more qualified (according to the story he told you, which absolutely must be 100% accurate), therefore it was wrong for the HR department to maximize diversity? Because test scores are the only thing that matter in hiring decisions.
No, but he had more experience and a better interview, too. It was Affirmative Action at it's worst and must unfair. The best candidate could not get the job.

Yes, and when this results in overwhelmingly white, straight male casts, you'll just shrug and say, "They're just hiring the best actors for the job."
I'm pretty darned sure with how Hollywood leans WAY left that you won't see an increased straight white male presence on TV and in the movies over the next 20 years.
Old 08-15-16, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You went out of your way to create a Middle Eastern character. Why? Because there was a great story to tell there, or because you felt that someone of that ethnicity should be included in your story? Just an honest question.
Read what I said -- the story is set in the Washington DC area. The Washington DC area is very heavily ethnically mixed. There are lots of people of Middle Eastern descent there. If the story is going to be realistic, there have to be characters like that. And since being Muslim-American is going to affect many aspects of her life, it's best to start from there.

If you really thought it was a great story to be told then more power to you. If it was because, "Well, I need to include this minority since they don't get their stories told," then that's not organic and makes your job as a writer harder.
Okay. So? I have to read some books on the Muslim-American experience and make sure she doesn't eat pepperoni pizza. Yes, that requires extra effort on my part, but why is that a problem?

Does that ethnicity push the story forward, is it a natural part of the story that NEEDS to be told, or is it just because?
So characters should only deviate from the default if it serves some plot purpose? That's ridiculous. If I made the character a white girl, you wouldn't be asking these questions. What changes when she becomes a person of color?

Now, are you going to respond to my point -- what's wrong with the character I described? How is she not "organic" and why is that a bad thing?

He started without the VISOR because Roddenberry thought it would be hilarious to have a blind man steering the ship. The visor came about because they needed some way for him to know how to steer the ship when there are no actual buttons to press (they smartly used an early preview of a touchscreen for the controls).
You're missing the point -- they wanted a blind character on the show. If including a gay character is an unconscionable act of political correctness, why is a blind character different?

But he wasn't black initially. He was just blind. I may have been wrong as to when they decided to make him black, but initially it was just a blind helmsman because Roddenberry thought it was inherently funny.
Yes, and right after they decided that, they said, "and he should be black too." They made the decision before casting, just as they're doing on Discovery by deciding which characters should be women and/or gay.

Well, typically on Star Trek it is the Captain and his/her command staff (highest ranking officers) that they focus on...

And that matches real life, too. It's changing, and within my lifetime we will see more women in leadership roles than men because women outnumber men in colleges by over 10%. That will then change on TV and in the movies. Bet on it.
We were discussing casting in general here. But if you want to focus on Star Trek -- we're talking about a vision of a Utopian 23rd and 24th Century. Roddenberry had a female first officer in the original pilot (and contrary to what you may've read, NBC only wanted him to ditch Majel Barrett, not the concept in its entirety). DS9 decided to make the captain black, and on Voyager they went with a woman. Why is it suddenly objectionable that the Discovery producers are going with a female lead with a gay character somewhere in the mix?

What? Wait, so they make up 5% of the population but should be in 25% of the TV show casts? Huh??? I'm not quite sure I understand that math...
I said "main cast". Very few shows have just one regular character, and even the "two guys on the road" shows are few and far between these days. If the average cast size is more than five, then realistically at least a quarter of shows should feature a gay character as an opening credit regular.

Take modern Trek shows -- and I'll exclude TOS, since the network wouldn't have allowed a gay character on the show. They've had 34 characters listed in the opening credits. Discovery will probably bring that over 40. By this point we should've have seen at least two gay characters, but we're still working on the first one -- and there are people screaming that even that is too much.

I have NO point of familiarity with Bryan Fuller. I know none of his works, so I have no basis to put any faith in him.

Oh, shit. He was a writer/producer on Voyager. That show SUCKED. Great characters, lousy stories/plot writing.

Bummer.
Yes, Fuller worked on Voyager in the very beginning of his career, starting as a lowly staff writer. He only got promoted to producer in the final season, and that was only a co-producer position, not a show-runner, and if you read interviews with him, he wasn't enthused by the direction the show took.

Since then, however, he's created three of the best and most creative SF series of the 21st Century -- Dead Like Me, Wonderfalls and Pushing Daisies. He's earned the benefit of the doubt from any fan SF fan.
Old 08-15-16, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Read what I said -- the story is set in the Washington DC area. The Washington DC area is very heavily ethnically mixed. There are lots of people of Middle Eastern descent there. If the story is going to be realistic, there have to be characters like that. And since being Muslim-American is going to affect many aspects of her life, it's best to start from there.
Fair enough. I'm not personally familiar with the demographics of the DC area other than it's heavily African-American. I live over 3,000 miles away, and I've never been there. Just asking.

Okay. So? I have to read some books on the Muslim-American experience and make sure she doesn't eat pepperoni pizza. Yes, that requires extra effort on my part, but why is that a problem?
It's only a problem in that it requires extra work/effort on your part. As long as it fits your overall vision of the story and serves to move that story forward there is zero problem plot-wise.

So characters should only deviate from the default if it serves some plot purpose? That's ridiculous. If I made the character a white girl, you wouldn't be asking these questions. What changes when she becomes a person of color?

Now, are you going to respond to my point -- what's wrong with the character I described? How is she not "organic" and why is that a bad thing?
You're getting way more defensive than you need to be. You've given me plenty of criticism, but I'm just asking questions and pointing out that the story comes first and the characters should be there to serve the story, more or less. Obviously, you seem to have a firm grasp on that. But a lot of people write with an agenda in mind (especially those writing for Hollywood), and that doesn't always serve the story - it serves the agenda.

You're missing the point -- they wanted a blind character on the show. If including a gay character is an unconscionable act of political correctness, why is a blind character different?
Don't you get it? Having a BLIND HELMSMAN is FUNNY. It's a joke every time he's piloting the ship. That was Roddenberry's ONLY motivation in making him blind, not to include a handicapped person for politically correct reasons.

Yes, and right after they decided that, they said, "and he should be black too." They made the decision before casting, just as they're doing on Discovery by deciding which characters should be women and/or gay.
OK, fair enough. But you cannot deny there is a certain amount of political correctness about the way this show is being developed. That's my only concern. Gotta check those boxes before moving on!

We were discussing casting in general here. But if you want to focus on Star Trek -- we're talking about a vision of a Utopian 23rd and 24th Century. Roddenberry had a female first officer in the original pilot (and contrary to what you may've read, NBC only wanted him to ditch Majel Barrett, not the concept in its entirety). DS9 decided to make the captain black, and on Voyager they went with a woman. Why is it suddenly objectionable that the Discovery producers are going with a female lead with a gay character somewhere in the mix?
In and of itself it isn't objectionable, but if they're doing it to check those boxes that's kind of lame. If that's what they're doing, and it certainly seems like it is, then they're letting different activist groups dictate who they can and cannot have on the show.

I said "main cast". Very few shows have just one regular character, and even the "two guys on the road" shows are few and far between these days. If the average cast size is more than five, then realistically at least a quarter of shows should feature a gay character as an opening credit regular.
Why? I work with dozens of gay people (over 2,000 people work in our office), and none of them make being gay an issue. They're not closeted, but it's just not an issue and it never, ever comes up. They don't talk about it other than, "We went to Sea World over the weekend," kind of thing, and you know who the other half of, "We," is. They're just people, not gay people - does that make sense? They don't go advertising it any more than the heteros in the office advertise/make public being heterosexual.

Take modern Trek shows -- and I'll exclude TOS, since the network wouldn't have allowed a gay character on the show. They've had 34 characters listed in the opening credits. Discovery will probably bring that over 40. By this point we should've have seen at least two gay characters, but we're still working on the first one -- and there are people screaming that even that is too much.
Fair enough.

Yes, Fuller worked on Voyager in the very beginning of his career, starting as a lowly staff writer. He only got promoted to producer in the final season, and that was only a co-producer position, not a show-runner, and if you read interviews with him, he wasn't enthused by the direction the show took.

Since then, however, he's created three of the best and most creative SF series of the 21st Century -- Dead Like Me, Wonderfalls and Pushing Daisies. He's earned the benefit of the doubt from any fan SF fan.
I'm not at all familiar with those shows. His scripts on DS9 were good, but not great (his first scripts, to be fair), and I can't remember any episodes of Voyager that he wrote - just that the show sucked for the most part thanks to the Kazon (worst bad guys ever - at least the Ferengi were funny) and the producers insistence on keeping them around for an absurd, ludicrous length of time (which, with the Voyager using warp speed, shouldn't have been more than a handful of episodes).

He'll have to earn my confidence with his work on Discovery. My only concern is that there are characters on the show that I can relate to and care about and, just as importanly, that the stories are good.

Frankly, I could have done a far better job on Voyager than their showrunners did. He didn't make that show any better, but if he didn't have any pull then it wasn't his fault.

By the way, are you familiar with Vernor Vinge?
Old 08-15-16, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Fuller, at least in this forum, is best known as the creator and showrunner of Hannibal. The show based on the Thomas Harris books and on the Hannibal Lecter character. It aired for 3 years on NBC and was 97% on Rotten Tomatoes.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/hannibal/s03/

You've never heard of that show Erik? It was relatively popular here when it aired.

They absolutely hired a quality creative person behind the scenes to run Discovery.

He was also a writer/producer on Heroes 1st season and his episodes were regarded as the best before he left and that show flamed out.
Old 08-15-16, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Fuller, at least in this forum, is best known as the creator and showrunner of Hannibal. The show based on the Thomas Harris books and on the Hannibal Lecter character. It aired for 3 years on NBC and was 97% on Rotten Tomatoes...
What's notable about that show is he took a franchise that many felt was on its last legs (Hannibal Lecter) and revitalized it. He also recast some characters as different genders and ethnicities, to overall positive effect.

He also helped create the upcoming TV adaptation of American Gods on Starz, although he's since left that show, at least on a day-to-day basis, to focus on Discovery.
Old 08-15-16, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He'll have to earn my confidence with his work on Discovery. My only concern is that there are characters on the show that I can relate to and care about...
This comes off as incredibly racist/sexist/homophobic. It makes it sound like you can only relate to characters that are straight white men, like you.
Old 08-15-16, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fair enough. I'm not personally familiar with the demographics of the DC area other than it's heavily African-American. I live over 3,000 miles away, and I've never been there. Just asking.
Most parts of the DC metropolitan area -- not just the District, but the suburbs and even the exurbs -- are less than 2/3rds white -- and remember, the US Census Bureau classes many Hispanics and most Middle Easterners as "white," so the area is even more ethnicaly diverse than that number indicates. If you set a story in the area, and you don't make every third character a person of color, it's not realistic.

It's only a problem in that it requires extra work/effort on your part.
Why is it wrong to expect a writer to work? When I read science fiction, I expect the writer to do basic research into orbital mechanics. When I read fantasy, I expect the writer to have a decent understanding of horses. When I read a mystery, I expect the writer to know how the criminal justice system functions. All of that is work. Why is race a step too far?

You're getting way more defensive than you need to be. You've given me plenty of criticism, but I'm just asking questions and pointing out that the story comes first and the characters should be there to serve the story, more or less.
That's how crappy writers work. Good writers start with characters and let them drive the story. As a Babylon 5 fan, you should know this -- JMS has spoken on many occasions about how he changed his plans for the series after realizing, hey, Londo wouldn't do that. Vir would.

OK, fair enough. But you cannot deny there is a certain amount of political correctness about the way this show is being developed. That's my only concern. Gotta check those boxes before moving on!

In and of itself it isn't objectionable, but if they're doing it to check those boxes that's kind of lame. If that's what they're doing, and it certainly seems like it is, then they're letting different activist groups dictate who they can and cannot have on the show.
Here's an idea. Instead of assuming what's going on without any knowledge of the actual behind-the-scenes process, and instead of jumping to the conclusion that it's going to suck ahead of time, maybe you could take a step back. Let gay fans have a moment to say, "Woo-hoo! There's going to be a character like me on the show!" and the women in the audience to go, "All right, I hope the female lead is going to be as cool as Kira and Jadzia were!"

Then, in another six months, when the show comes out, you can watch it with a clear mind and judge it on its merits. Maybe it'll turn out to be a godawful mess, and you can say, "Wow, what a pile of crap. Based upon the evidence that I've actually seen on screen with my own eyes, the writers spent way too much time thinking about which character should be gay, or a woman, or a transgendered Klingon poet, and not enough developing actual personalities for them." But maybe -- crazy thought -- maybe it'll turn out to be a brilliant piece of work, the best entry in Star Trek since DS9. You can't know that based upon the little bit of preproduction info we've seen so far.

Getting worked up now because Fuller has promised to include a gay character is as ridiculous as ... well, every other thing you've gotten worked up about.

Why? I work with dozens of gay people (over 2,000 people work in our office), and none of them make being gay an issue. They're not closeted, but it's just not an issue and it never, ever comes up. They don't talk about it other than, "We went to Sea World over the weekend," kind of thing, and you know who the other half of, "We," is. They're just people, not gay people - does that make sense? They don't go advertising it any more than the heteros in the office advertise/make public being heterosexual.
And nobody's asking for Star Trek to include anything more than that. Gay fans just want to be represented. They want a character who sits on the bridge and does cool stuff, then goes back to his quarters and kisses his boyfriend, the same way we've seen dozens of straight Trek characters do with members of the opposite sex.

He'll have to earn my confidence with his work on Discovery. My only concern is that there are characters on the show that I can relate to and care about and, just as importanly, that the stories are good.
So why shouldn't everyone have a chance for that?

By the way, are you familiar with Vernor Vinge?
Vernor Vinge who wrote an entire book where the heroes were Asian guys for no reason other than he made them Asian guys because, hey, Asian guys are going to go out and explore space just like everyone else? Yeah, I've read him.
Old 08-15-16, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This comes off as incredibly racist/sexist/homophobic. It makes it sound like you can only relate to characters that are straight white men, like you.

Wow. Jump to conclusions, much? I think we all want to watch characters we can relate to or at least sympathize/empathize with in stories that are well told. That's all I'm saying.
Old 08-15-16, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why is it wrong to expect a writer to work? When I read science fiction, I expect the writer to do basic research into orbital mechanics. When I read fantasy, I expect the writer to have a decent understanding of horses. When I read a mystery, I expect the writer to know how the criminal justice system functions. All of that is work. Why is race a step too far?
It's not. I'm just asking. If you can do that and it helps you come up with a good book more power to you!

That's how crappy writers work. Good writers start with characters and let them drive the story. As a Babylon 5 fan, you should know this -- JMS has spoken on many occasions about how he changed his plans for the series after realizing, hey, Londo wouldn't do that. Vir would.
Well, I know he changed how he wrote Ivanova after being around Claudia Christian for a few weeks. Her sense of humor and wild style came through in the character after a half dozen episodes. But the overall story arcs were only changed when he had to replace actors (Michael O'Hare and Claudia Christian), and when it looked like they weren't getting Season 5 (and even then he just sped up the pace).

Here's an idea. Instead of assuming what's going on without any knowledge of the actual behind-the-scenes process, and instead of jumping to the conclusion that it's going to suck ahead of time, maybe you could take a step back. Let gay fans have a moment to say, "Woo-hoo! There's going to be a character like me on the show!" and the women in the audience to go, "All right, I hope the female lead is going to be as cool as Kira and Jadzia were!"
Again, fair enough. I guess I just got turned off by the, "Look at me, look at me! I'm politically correct," way that they're announcing the characters. They didn't make a big deal about Sisko or Janeway. When those characters were first announced it was real matter of fact.

Then, in another six months, when the show comes out, you can watch it with a clear mind and judge it on its merits. Maybe it'll turn out to be a godawful mess, and you can say, "Wow, what a pile of crap. Based upon the evidence that I've actually seen on screen with my own eyes, the writers spent way too much time thinking about which character should be gay, or a woman, or a transgendered Klingon poet, and not enough developing actual personalities for them." But maybe -- crazy thought -- maybe it'll turn out to be a brilliant piece of work, the best entry in Star Trek since DS9. You can't know that based upon the little bit of preproduction info we've seen so far.
You're right. Good points, all.

Getting worked up now because Fuller has promised to include a gay character is as ridiculous as ... well, every other thing you've gotten worked up about.
Again, it was the way that they made such a big deal about it when it hasn't been the style of Star Trek to make a big deal about that stuff (because it really shouldn't be a big deal). They presented it as matter of fact and like it shouldn't come as a surprise in any way. They downplayed it and let the characters do the talking on the show.

I guess I probably overreacted, but I'm just so tired of the politically correct crowd telling me I'm a bad person because I've never supported this or that when in fact I've never been against either.

To me people are just people for the most part. Color, ethnicity, gender, orientation - whatever. We're all just human beings. I just don't like the idea that some people like to segment us and put checkboxes next to us based on whatever group they think we are part of. We're all just people.
Old 08-15-16, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow. Jump to conclusions, much? I think we all want to watch characters we can relate to or at least sympathize/empathize with in stories that are well told. That's all I'm saying.
But what makes you think you won't be able to sympathize/empathize with the characters on this show? The only thing we know about them so far is gender/race/sexual orientation, so if you're concerned about sympathizing/empathizing with them, it must be because of one of those 3 factors.
Old 08-15-16, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But what makes you think you won't be able to sympathize/empathize with the characters on this show?
Nothing. I don't know either way. It depends on how well they're written. I'm going to find out whenever I get a chance to watch the show.
Old 08-15-16, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nothing. I don't know either way. It depends on how well they're written. I'm going to find out whenever I get a chance to watch the show.
But then why were you concerned?

You bemoaned the casting decisions as "pandering," complained about there being less roles for straight white men, and then posted concern about there being characters that you'll be able to relate to on the show. It definitely reads like you don't feel like you can relate to any characters other than straight white men. What other way is there to take that? Think about what you're writing, and the context you're writing it in.
Old 08-15-16, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Again, it was the way that they made such a big deal about it when it hasn't been the style of Star Trek to make a big deal about that stuff (because it really shouldn't be a big deal).
I remember both the casting of Sisko and Janeway being a "big deal" at the time, Janeway in particular. There was a lot of press about it. The news so far about the Discovery casting has been subdued by comparison.
Old 08-15-16, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But then why were you concerned?

You bemoaned the casting decisions as "pandering," complained about there being less roles for straight white men, and then posted concern about there being characters that you'll be able to relate to on the show. It definitely reads like you don't feel like you can relate to any characters other than straight white men. What other way is there to take that? Think about what you're writing, and the context you're writing it in.
Another person always looking for the worst in others.

Sad.

They haven't announced any characters other than the ones that fit the checkboxes. Pardon me if that seems odd.

And it's hard for anyone to relate to characters with significantly different background than their own. Not impossible (not by any stretch of the imagination), but difficult. Good writing can overcome that, however, so it really comes down to the writing. I'm going in to this thing with an open mind. I'm just a little cautious after the disaster that was Voyager and the blandness that was the first couple of seasons of Enterprise (seasons so bland they got me to stop watching the show altogether, just like I did after the 4th season of Voyager). Fuller was part of the Voyager team, and I haven't seen a single minute of anything else he's written or produced so my only frame of reference for him isn't good.
Old 08-15-16, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember both the casting of Sisko and Janeway being a "big deal" at the time, Janeway in particular. There was a lot of press about it. The news so far about the Discovery casting has been subdued by comparison.
Well, only because Star Trek was so much bigger 20 years ago.

And the producers of Star Trek didn't make as big a deal of Sisko and Janeway as the producers are now with their characters. The media made a big deal about it because Star Trek was still a mega franchise, but the producers downplayed it like it shouldn't be seen as a big deal. Just standard operating procedure for Trek.
Old 08-15-16, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not. I'm just asking. If you can do that and it helps you come up with a good book more power to you!
I think it helps every writer turn out better work. The sort of writer who only includes characters like themselves -- which is a ton of SF writers, pretty much everything from Baen -- are boring and usually have a smug attitude that they're right about everything. The ones who try to understand the diversity of the world and come up with a wide range of characters create more nuanced works.

Well, I know he changed how he wrote Ivanova after being around Claudia Christian for a few weeks. Her sense of humor and wild style came through in the character after a half dozen episodes. But the overall story arcs were only changed when he had to replace actors (Michael O'Hare and Claudia Christian), and when it looked like they weren't getting Season 5 (and even then he just sped up the pace).
If you read the original outline for the series that he released, the changes along the way are much greater than can be explained by cast complications. A prime example is Cartagia's assassination:

[T]here's something I'd slotted for another character to do. I'd intended for that character to do it right up.... until the page before that other character was going to do it, when Vir stepped up in my brain and said, "No, *I* should do this." And as soon as he said it, I knew it was right. You'll see.
Like I said, a good writer lets characters propel the plot. The more diversity and complexity the cast has, the more interesting the results.

Again, fair enough. I guess I just got turned off by the, "Look at me, look at me! I'm politically correct," way that they're announcing the characters. They didn't make a big deal about Sisko or Janeway. When those characters were first announced it was real matter of fact.
Yes they did. I remember reading the first news about Sisko in TV Guide, and they absolutely made a big deal about him being the first black lead character in Star Trek, and how it was the fulfillment of Roddenberry's vision. Ditto Janeway being a woman -- I was on Usenet by that point, and the news was HUGE in fandom. And there were people just like you there, bitching that, "Oh no, they're putting a woman in charge. And an Injun first officer -- it's affirmative action in the 24th Century!" I would've hoped that twenty years would've changed things, but apparently not.

I guess I probably overreacted, but I'm just so tired of the politically correct crowd telling me I'm a bad person because I've never supported this or that when in fact I've never been against either.
The things you've said here, and in the GB and Rocketeer threads doesn't support that point. Any time we hear about an established franchise adding diversity, you're right there to natter about political correctness and SJWs destroying your favorite things.

Loosen up. Let other people have a chance to play with the cool toys. Stop being divisive with this, "There can't be a black Roceteer!" and "They're shoehorning a gay person into Star Trek!" BS.

To me people are just people for the most part. Color, ethnicity, gender, orientation - whatever. We're all just human beings. I just don't like the idea that some people like to segment us and put checkboxes next to us based on whatever group they think we are part of. We're all just people.
And yet we live in a culture where race, gender and sexual orientation do make a difference in how people are treated. You can swear up and down that you don't see race or gender, but that doesn't negate the impact it has on the lives of women and minorities.
Old 08-15-16, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The things you've said here, and in the GB and Rocketeer threads doesn't support that point. Any time we hear about an established franchise adding diversity, you're right there to natter about political correctness and SJWs destroying your favorite things.
I just don't like change. Period. Sue me. I still listen to the same music I listened to 30 years ago. I still watch the same kinds of movies. I'm consistent. I like consistency. A lot of people are easily bored and need change. I'm not one of them.

Loosen up. Let other people have a chance to play with the cool toys. Stop being divisive with this, "There can't be a black Roceteer!" and "They're shoehorning a gay person into Star Trek!" BS.
I just want the changes to be for the right reasons, not because a studio is pandering to special interest groups. With Hollywood, it is honestly hard to tell why they do things like this, but it is often because they want attention or want groups to get off their backs. Or because they have an agenda they're pushing.

All I want are the sequels to the movies and TV shows that I love to carry the same spirit and style and to live up to my expectations. It gets harder to do that when they're making wholesale changes. Not impossible, but harder - and Hollywood is about product more than quality, so my faith in them is limited.

And yet we live in a culture where race, gender and sexual orientation do make a difference in how people are treated. You can swear up and down that you don't see race or gender, but that doesn't negate the impact it has on the lives of women and minorities.
And the only time I've had to deal with anything remotely like that was when I played in a band and had long hair. Every single time I walked into a store wearing a jacked I was watched like a hawk because they suspected I would steal something. So I get that people do get treated differently, and I get that I had an option that they never do - I could cut my hair and instantly change people's perception of me.

I guess since I have never looked at anyone other than as a person I don't understand people who are genuinely racists or sexists because to me it's all about character (and, in the case of some things, ability). I don't care what color someone's skin is or what their orientation is as long as they are a good person. And I'll hang out with anyone who's cool. I'll never understand people who paint with such a broad brush as to denigrate entire groups because of the actions of a few.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.