Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Scandal (ABC) -- S: Kerry Washington -- Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-14, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: Scandal (ABC) -- Season 4 Thread -- Thursdays starting 9/25/14

I watched - I was just waiting for a thread to pop up. I hope the writers go back to having the case of the week like they did here. I had a feeling that Columbus Short burned a bridge or two so it's not surprising that we didn't even get a picture at the funeral. I love how they just dropped the Fitz suicide attempt in the dialogue like it was no big deal and Mellie is just all in with her grief and it's sad yet awesome. Will Olivia ever find out just how much Daddy Pope lied to her? And on a slightly unrelated note, I really want the suit Olivia wore to the funeral.
Old 09-27-14, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought it was a good episode..
Old 09-29-14, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Keeping my fingers crossed that Olivia stays the hell away from Fitz romantically. Those 2 just drove my crazy.

at Melly walking around like a nut chomping on cereal in her pajamas.

Good to have the Gladiators back and they actually played fixer for a change.

Poor Columbus Short. He totally got hosed. No previously on recap and not even a photo at his funeral. His arrest in the Spring must have pissed off some ABC suits.
Old 09-29-14, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Melissa Harris-Perry talked about Columbus Short on her show on Sunday. The prevailing theory is that since Short was accused of multiple counts of intimate partner violence, Rhimes and Co weren't going to pull a Roger Goddell so they drop kicked Short immediately.
Old 10-03-14, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have to say that Mellie broke my heart in this episode. That ending was just painful to watch. I don't know how I feel about Rosen going over to the dark side but since the charge was trumped up anyway, I guess blackmail was the only way out.
Old 12-15-14, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk God

I just got caught up with the last 7 episodes, including the Winter Finale this week. I fell behind, but I was never going to drop this show, just other things came up.

Anyways, wow!!! This season has been fucking crazy!! Loving the insanity of Daddy Pope and the love-hate relationship he has with Olivia. Joe Morton has just been fantastic as the nemesis to Olivia. I know he's on another show, but I hope he comes back in the 2nd half of the season in some form.

at the gay sex scandal with Cyrus and the male prostitute. And then Olivia's talk to Cyrus to get him fired up and calling him a bitch boy.

The thing that threw me, which was even more absurd and crazy over the top was the VP staging the terrorist attack and then kidnapping Olivia in the finale. That was a surprise.
Old 01-30-15, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk God

The 2nd half of the season started last night.

Did anyone watch?

Thought that was a really solid episode. Very different from previous Scandal episodes. I liked how it showed Liv as the focal point and being extremely vulnerable after being captured. at her being Macguyver and using her magic bra to get the wiring out. And she even put it back on after scraping it to hell.

It wasn't too hard to figure out the big twist at the end that Liv's cell mate wasn't dead and was actually part of it. I'm not sure I really understood the motive though. I know the VP is part of it. I assume it's to get to Fitz and make him vulnerable.
Old 01-31-15, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The minute they put Liv in the cell I looked at the dude and thought "yeah he's a plant." It's a media cliche. I did question why she ditched both the pipe and the gun as she was escaping but again, cliche. Very different episode but it worked.
Old 01-31-15, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by lisadoris
The minute they put Liv in the cell I looked at the dude and thought "yeah he's a plant." It's a media cliche.
Yep. That was painfully obvious.
Old 09-24-15, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Scandal (ABC) -- Series Discussion Thread

SEASON PREMIERE

OLIVIA AND FITZ ARE FORCED TO MAKE BIG DECISIONS IN THE SEASON 5 PREMIERE OF ABC'S "SCANDAL"

"Heavy is the Head" - Olivia and Fitz are back together again and enjoying every scandalous moment together while Cyrus, Mellie and Huck are all still dealing with the aftermath of helping Command. Meanwhile, when a visit from the Queen of Caldonia and her family turns into a tragedy, Olivia is hired to make sure the Royal family's private life stays private, on the Season 5 premiere of "Scandal," THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 24 (9:00-10:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

"Scandal" stars Kerry Washington as Olivia Pope, Guillermo Diaz as Huck, Darby Stanchfield as Abby Whelan, Katie Lowes as Quinn Perkins, Tony Goldwyn as President Fitzgerald Grant, Jeff Perry as Cyrus, Bellamy Young as First Lady Mellie Grant, Joshua Malina as David Rosen, Scott Foley as Jake Ballard, Portia De Rossi as Elizabeth North and Cornelius Smith Jr as Marcus Walker.

"Heavy is the Head" was written by Shonda Rhimes and directed by Tom Verica.

22 episode 5th season

Really Really hate Olivia and Fitz hooking up again after last season's finale. I think Mellie is my favorite character on this show now.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-18-16 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-26-15, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Scandal (ABC) -- Season 5 Thread -- Premieres 9/24/15

I really want to see how Mellie handles being on her own. I actually think both Mellie and Olivia would be much better off without Fitz. The former VP is just so horrible and it's awesome.
Old 09-26-15, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Interesting 1st episode.

The plot seemed loosely based on the deaths of Grace Kelly and Princess Diana only adding the murder angle by the Queen. at creating a fake monarchy Caledonia so that they don't offend any current country.

at Abby looking like an idiot at the press conference not even knowing what Fitz was doing.

Loved the former VP ratting out Olivia and Fitz to the public on TV that was awesome.
Old 11-20-15, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This show doesn't get a whole lot of love on this board but I for one hope that the winter finale is the final nail in the Olivia/Fitz coffin.

BTW, does anyone know who has control over the viewer discretion warnings? Is it the show or the network because this is the second time they've thrown up a warning on an episode showing a woman having an abortion.
Old 11-20-15, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

I've been watching this season with the thought of putting it in my rear-view mirror, and I think the "Winter Finale" is a good time to put my foot on the gas. The Olivia/Fitz relationship should be put to an end here (though, obviously, in this situation, nothing is really "over"). However, the characters in general have become so bitter and nasty that the show has become unpleasant to watch.
Old 11-20-15, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

What's up with ABC calling these "Winter" finales for their Thursday night shows? How can you have a winter finale in the middle of fall? I think NBC, at least, called The Blacklist's episode on the same night "the fall finale". ABC's shows return on Feb. 11. So will they call it the winter premiere or the spring premiere?
Old 12-09-15, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Caught up with the last 7 episodes over the last 2 days including the winter finale.

Good grief Olivia and Fitz have such nasty and toxic relationship. I don't know why the writers love them as a couple. I hate them as a couple so much. That big blow up was really unpleasant to watch. I really hope this is the end of them. Plus the fact that she aborted Fitz's baby in secret makes things even worse for them if he ever finds out.

Mellie is starting to become my favorite character. Her antics were fun to watch in the last episode.

Glad the show is on break until February.
Old 12-09-15, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Caught up with the last 7 episodes over the last 2 days including the winter finale.

Good grief Olivia and Fitz have such nasty and toxic relationship. I don't know why the writers love them as a couple. I hate them as a couple so much. That big blow up was really unpleasant to watch. I really hope this is the end of them. Plus the fact that she aborted Fitz's baby in secret makes things even worse for them if he ever finds out.

Mellie is starting to become my favorite character. Her antics were fun to watch in the last episode.

Glad the show is on break until February.
Watching the latest developments in the Olivia/Fitz relationship, I don't really see how they can come back as a couple from that. Olivia's not a particularly admirable character by any definition, but they've made Fitz loathsome. Obviously, they'll always interact, but I just won't buy any future there.

I'm not sure what Shonda's intent was, but pretty much every character on the show has either become, -or is on the verge of becoming, -a hateful cartoon. I'm kind of "out" at this point, but I haven't taken it off the DVR's "series recording" list.

Right now I'm hanging with "HTGAWMurder", but that's sort of headed down the same highway. It's nearly impossible to like or sympathize with any of the characters, and its strictly become a "What kind of crazy plot-turn can they come up with next" kind of show.
Old 02-18-16, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-series-867234

Joe Morton (Evil Daddy Pope) was promoted to series regular.
Old 02-18-16, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

re: Scandal (ABC) -- S: Kerry Washington -- Series Discussion Thread

He may be an evil super genius but I do love Poppa Pope.
Old 02-18-16, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-series-867234

Joe Morton (Evil Daddy Pope) was promoted to series regular.
To my mind, this is all I need to hear to keep me from coming back to the show (I decided to quit during the hiatus). While I think Morton's great in the role, this is a character that I feel is played out on the show (along with a few others) and retaining him will only keep the show in a lather-rinse-repeat cycle story-wise.
Old 02-19-16, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

That Muppet wants you.
Old 10-05-17, 06:55 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

OLIVIA POPE RUNS THE WORLD, ON THE HIGHLY ANTICIPATED SEASON PREMIERE OF 'SCANDAL''S FINAL SEASON

"Watch Me" - One hundred days into Mellie's presidency, Olivia Pope is proving she can run the world; but to avoid an international incident, she may have to make her toughest call yet. Meanwhile, Quinn Perkins & Associates struggle to find their first client, on the highly anticipated season premiere of "Scandal," airing THURSDAY, OCTOBER 5 (9:00-10:00 p.m. EDT), on The ABC Television Network.

"Scandal" stars Kerry Washington as Olivia Pope, Guillermo Diaz as Huck, Darby Stanchfield as Abby Whelan, Katie Lowes as Quinn Perkins, Tony Goldwyn as President Fitzgerald Grant, Jeff Perry as Cyrus Beene, Joshua Malina as David Rosen, Bellamy Young as President Mellie Grant, Scott Foley as Jake Ballard, Joe Morton as Rowan Pope, Cornelius Smith Jr. as Marcus Walker and George Newbern as Charlie.

Guest starring TBA.

"Scandal" was created by Shonda Rhimes ("Grey's Anatomy," "How to Get Away with Murder"). Shonda Rhimes, Betsy Beers ("Grey's Anatomy," "How to Get Away with Murder"), and Mark Fish are executive producers. "Scandal" is produced by ABC Studios.

"Watch Me" was written by Shonda Rhimes and directed by Jann Turner.

"Scandal" is broadcasted in 720 Progressive (720P), ABC's selected HDTV format, with 5.1-channel surround sound.
Old 10-06-17, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's kinda fun watching Olivia Pope exercise real power. She's a little crazy but not quite as soulless as her father.
Old 10-06-17, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Well, that speech she gave Mellie sounded exactly like something that would have come out of her father's mouth. I'm not convinced she'll end up being any better that he was.
Old 03-01-18, 07:24 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Noteworthy for 3/1/18, Scandal/HTGAWM Crossover:

TWO INDOMITABLE FORCES UNITE WHEN OLIVIA POPE AND ANNALISE KEATING TEAM UP ON THE HIGHLY ANTICIPATED 'SCANDAL' AND 'HOW TO GET AWAY WITH MURDER' TGIT CROSSOVER EPISODES

#TGITCrossover #HowtoGetAwaywithScandal

"Allow Me to Reintroduce Myself" - In the midst of moving on from the White House, Olivia gets an unexpected visitor in criminal defense attorney Annalise Keating, who seeks her help in fast-tracking a judicial reform class action to the United States Supreme Court. However, after Olivia's recent fall from political grace, it's going to be more challenging than ever to get the support they need, on a special, TGIT Crossover Event episode of "Scandal," airing THURSDAY, MARCH 1 (9:00-10:00 p.m. EST), on The ABC Television Network, streaming and on demand. Viola Davis and Aja Naomi King guest star.

"Lahey v. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania" - As Annalise's class-action case hangs in the balance, a meeting with the esteemed Washington D.C. fixer, Olivia Pope, proves to be crucial in getting the opportunity to argue her case in the nation's highest court. Meanwhile, Bonnie discovers concerning information pertaining to Simon that threatens to expose what really happened during night he was shot, on a special, TGIT Crossover Event episode of "How to Get Away with Murder," THURSDAY, MARCH 1 (10:00-11:00 p.m. EST), on The ABC Television Network, streaming and on demand. Kerry Washington and Cornelius Smith Jr. guest star.