Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

JLA - Bruce Timm's upcoming Cartoon Network show

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-15, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: JLA - Bruce Timm's upcoming Cartoon Network show

Well, cartoon network is producing it. So we will probably get 2 good seasons before they cancel it for no apparent reason.
Old 10-06-15, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
Well, cartoon network is producing it. So we will probably get 2 good seasons before they cancel it for no apparent reason.
Will they at least shift the timeslot five episodes into the season, then give it a two month hiatus in the middle of the season? Don't update the guide info sent to tv providers, either, if the fans really want to watch it they'll find it.
Old 10-06-15, 10:24 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
Originally Posted by fujishig
Will they at least shift the timeslot five episodes into the season, then give it a two month hiatus in the middle of the season? Don't update the guide info sent to tv providers, either, if the fans really want to watch it they'll find it.
Never have understood how two companies who are under the same umbrella can't work together for shit. How many DC Cartoons have been screwed up by Cartoon Network? 3, 4, all of them? I wonder if they are also going to put restrictions on which characters they can use like they did during the Justice League/JLU run. It was ridiculous that Timm wasn't allowed to use the Justice Society in the first season and then he couldn't use Batman or Aquaman characters during the JLU run.
Old 10-06-15, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I'll take the "air 1 episode take a two week break, air 1 episode take a one week break, air 1 episode, take a month break..." schedule for 1,000, Alex.
Old 10-07-15, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I honestly believe Cartoon Network purposely plays with the scheduling to keep fans alert. It's not just DC shows, I've noticed it with their other programs. They don't believe in a normal schedule for whatever reason.
Old 10-07-15, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Hood
Never have understood how two companies who are under the same umbrella can't work together for shit. How many DC Cartoons have been screwed up by Cartoon Network? 3, 4, all of them? I wonder if they are also going to put restrictions on which characters they can use like they did during the Justice League/JLU run. It was ridiculous that Timm wasn't allowed to use the Justice Society in the first season and then he couldn't use Batman or Aquaman characters during the JLU run.
The "Bat Embargo,"'as the fans called it.
Old 10-07-15, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I honestly believe Cartoon Network purposely plays with the scheduling to keep fans alert. It's not just DC shows, I've noticed it with their other programs. They don't believe in a normal schedule for whatever reason.
Typically because normal kids don't live on a schedule for watching shit to begin with.
Old 10-07-15, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Typically because normal kids don't live on a schedule for watching shit to begin with.
When I was a kid, I set that VCR religiously, TV Guide on my knee. I always knew when my shows were on. Fucking kids today with their fancy DVRs, it can just do it for them.
Old 01-29-16, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Some details and art. Kevin Conroy is back at Batman.

http://comicbook.com/2016/01/29/just...h-kevin-conro/
Old 01-29-16, 03:11 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Some details and art. Kevin Conroy is back at Batman.

http://comicbook.com/2016/01/29/just...h-kevin-conro/
not digging the art but would give it a look just for Conroy and Timm

(and only 11-minute episodes? how many fcking commercials they running on CN? )
Old 01-29-16, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by HN
not digging the art but would give it a look just for Conroy and Timm

(and only 11-minute episodes? how many fcking commercials they running on CN? )
It's not like they just run 1 episode during a 30 minute block, right?

Don't care for the art either, sounds like it will be more lighthearted stuff given the art and description?
Old 01-29-16, 03:58 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
It's not like they just run 1 episode during a 30 minute block, right?

Don't care for the art either, sounds like it will be more lighthearted stuff given the art and description?
not sure how the format works. apparently it's like 'Teen Titans Go!' with the 11-minutes (i've never seen TTG).

and is it me, or did they update the article to say Mark Hamill is also returning as Joker? i don't htink that was there a few minutes ago.

and holy shit, Conroy AND Hamill back!
Old 01-29-16, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

to Conroy and Hamill. Artwork is definitely iffy and seems more like its aimed towards a younger audience. Still though Timm being in charge and Conroy and Hamill on the show means I'm watching it.
Old 01-29-16, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brave and the Bold was aimed at kids too, and people loved that. I'm bummed that this isn't a re-entry into the DCAU that I love, but I bet this is fun.
Old 01-29-16, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Brave and the Bold was okay. I didn't think it was one of the better DC animated shows to be honest but it wasn't horrible.
Old 01-29-16, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
to Conroy and Hamill. Artwork is definitely iffy and seems more like its aimed towards a younger audience. Still though Timm being in charge and Conroy and Hamill on the show means I'm watching it.
If Batman in the movies is aimed at Lars Von Trier fans, they need to go a little lighter for the kids.
Old 01-29-16, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
If Batman in the movies is aimed at Lars Von Trier fans, they need to go a little lighter for the kids.
Honestly Batman: The Animated Series was a good balance. It was serious enough that as an adult I don't feel dumb watching it but it also isn't so dark that kids can't watch it. That's what I want to see again. Now days its one extreme or the other seemingly (cartoons for kids are terribly dumbed down or films are overly dark).
Old 01-29-16, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Brave and the Bold was okay. I didn't think it was one of the better DC animated shows to be honest but it wasn't horrible.
I thought it was cute, but it wasn't exactly for me either. Funnily enough, I think I would have appreciated it more if it had a shorter run time like this new show has. What I watched, I liked, but I was never compelled to seek it out or watch more. But the fans of that show absolutely adored the silly and light tone, so if this new show goes that way hopefully it will appeal to the same folks.
Old 01-29-16, 08:50 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Honestly Batman: The Animated Series was a good balance. It was serious enough that as an adult I don't feel dumb watching it but it also isn't so dark that kids can't watch it. That's what I want to see again. Now days its one extreme or the other seemingly (cartoons for kids are terribly dumbed down or films are overly dark).
Agreed. And this is WB underestimating kids and adults. Phineas and Ferb is/was a huge hit for Disney and they catered to both audiences. The same with Young Justice, the DCAU and Green Lantern. For some reason, current executives for these companies are asking for short, 11 minutes, dumb downed, comedy cartoons. I wished they simply kept stuff like that on Cartoon Network and developed cartoons like Young Justice, Thundercats (newer, unfinished series) and other more action oriented cartoons to Boomerang. But I doubt that WB even knows what they are doing.

Last edited by Red Hood; 01-29-16 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-29-16, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Sweeeeet
Old 01-30-16, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, I felt most of the DCAU was aimed for all ages, but I imagine with the success of Teen Titans it doesn't surprise me that they feel the younger audience is a bigger draw, especially for merchandise.
Old 01-30-16, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Teen Titans Go! is okay but I don't watch it very often. If it comes on while I'm watching tv I won't necessarily turn it but I don't go out of my way to watch it either.

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I thought it was cute, but it wasn't exactly for me either. Funnily enough, I think I would have appreciated it more if it had a shorter run time like this new show has. What I watched, I liked, but I was never compelled to seek it out or watch more. But the fans of that show absolutely adored the silly and light tone, so if this new show goes that way hopefully it will appeal to the same folks.
The one thing I'll say about The Brave and the Bold is that it very much reminded me of the 66 series at least in tone. In that respect I liked it but I dunno. Like Teen Titans Go! it just wasn't something I went out of my way to watch.

Last edited by Mike86; 01-30-16 at 01:10 AM.
Old 01-30-16, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Animation style is super lame. Ditto for 11 minute episodes.
Old 01-30-16, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Cartoon Network prefers 11-minute episodes. Their intended audience has very, very limited attention spans. Apparently kids today can't handle commercial breaks. You can also package 15-minute bursts all over the schedule. I wouldn't expect much continuity between episodes.

Great news that Conroy is back as the Bat.
Old 01-30-16, 07:24 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Looks like it's for 10yr olds. I don't think it will appeal to me. Teen Titans doesn't.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.