Falling Skies (S5E09) -- "Reunion" -- 8/23/15

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-23-15, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,972 Likes on 1,444 Posts

"Reunion" - Sunday, August 23, at 10 p.m. (ET/PT) - TV-14-LV

Tom gains a powerful new weapon against the Espheni. Ben puts his life on the line to extract enemy plans. Pope discovers that Tom is alive, and launches a final attack. Meanwhile, the 2nd Mass must reassess their situation when an unexpected visitor appears.

Directed by Brad Turner

Written by Marc Dube

Created by Robert Rodat

Episode 9 of 10

Next week is the series finale
Old 08-23-15, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts
Re: Falling Skies (S5E09) -- "Reunion" -- 8/23/15

Bet this is mostly going to be about Pope attacking Tom; rather than the bigger picture. I just don't see them packing any kind of real ending into a single episode after wasting this entire season on fluff.
Old 08-24-15, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby View Post
Bet this is mostly going to be about Pope attacking Tom
Well that plot line ended underwhelmingly.

I didn't think the writing on the show could get any worse but I was wrong.
Old 08-24-15, 09:19 AM

C'mon, does anyone really think Pope is dead? They didn't have anyone recover an identifiable body. He'll pope up in the finale.
Old 08-24-15, 09:26 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 260 Likes on 166 Posts

Pretty sure they would check to make sure Pope was dead eventually... so I think he is indeed gone.

And I think the resolution of the Pope plot was beyond ridiculous. From letting them into the compound THEN checking for weapons... to Pope taking cover next to the explosive barrels. ROFL. So so so bad. Noah Wyle deserves so much better than this. Anyway, one more to go!
Old 08-24-15, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
Noah Wyle deserves so much better than this.
He's an executive producer, part of the blame should be his.
Old 08-24-15, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 596 Likes on 419 Posts

I've been hoarding these on my DVR and will binge watch it at some point. I only have 8 episodes showing though. It doesn't look as if I missed a week (every week from 6/28 to now). Was the premiere a "double episode"?
Old 08-24-15, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 513 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
Pretty sure they would check to make sure Pope was dead eventually... so I think he is indeed gone.

And I think the resolution of the Pope plot was beyond ridiculous. From letting them into the compound THEN checking for weapons... to Pope taking cover next to the explosive barrels. ROFL. So so so bad. Noah Wyle deserves so much better than this. Anyway, one more to go!
They absolutely can't win with the Pope business. If he is dead, talk about ridiculously anti-climactic. If he's not dead, it's just plain ridiculous. If they try to redeem him, I'm done with this show. Yeah, I know it's the last episode.

It annoys me to no end how much time has been wasted on that character.
Old 08-24-15, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
I've been hoarding these on my DVR and will binge watch it at some point. I only have 8 episodes showing though. It doesn't look as if I missed a week (every week from 6/28 to now). Was the premiere a "double episode"?
I don't believe so...
Old 08-24-15, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Hmmm. According to wiki, it's been on every Sunday night since 6/28 which is 9 weeks.......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falling_Skies_(season_5)
Old 08-24-15, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The whole Pope thing has been ridiculous anyway and just gets in the way so dealing with that fast to get it out of the way makes sense yet its also hard to believe.
Old 08-24-15, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 801 Likes on 564 Posts

yeah, that Pope "ending" was pretty bad. knowing this show, he's probably not dead. at least we are at the finish line!
Old 08-24-15, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
yeah, that Pope "ending" was pretty bad. knowing this show, he's probably not dead. at least we are at the finish line!
Did someone forget to tell them that? The show doesn't look close to be wrapping it up, much less one episode to do so. Regarding Pope, that was a crappy way to send out one of the shows regulars. Very dumb and very anti-climatic. I shouldn't be surprised though as this pretty much the standard for this show anyway.
Old 08-24-15, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by darkdaze73 View Post
Did someone forget to tell them that? The show doesn't look close to be wrapping it up, much less one episode to do so.
Humans win in the last 5 minutes. Standard Hollywood trope.
Old 08-24-15, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Just binged watched the last 5 episodes.

Of course "Lexie" was a plant by the Espheni. I'm glad Weaver wasn't that stupid and didn't fall for it. That would have been bullshit if she really survived to give Tom and his family some sort of happy family reunion. At least Weaver kept them in check.

Funny how Pope goes from sorta likable anti-hero to full out derange psycho in only a few episodes. We didn't see a body, so I think there's still a chance that he appears in the finale. at Anthony being on Pope's side and then oh no, changing his mind once he saw Anne threatened. That was a quick turn.

There's only 1 episode left, but I feel like we need a 2 hour finale to wrap things up. 1 hour doesn't seem like enough to wrap everything up without feeling rushed.

I know most of you love to tear this show apart, but I still think what we've seen so far leading into the finale is way better than the 12 episodes we got last season.

Looks like the finale is full out combat mode.
Old 08-24-15, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 490 Likes on 422 Posts

Everyone working on this show knew it was the end. I would imagine that any "creative" talent left behind the scenes went for more secure gigs on other shows before the season even began. I've mentioned this before but the planned final years of most television shows are terrible. Everyone is either scrambling for their next job or the original creative talent has already left. The people that fill-in are usually hired as cheaply as possible, so you get many inexperienced producers and writers that have zero connection to the show.
Old 08-24-15, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
The people that fill-in are usually hired as cheaply as possible, so you get many inexperienced producers and writers that have zero connection to the show.
How would you even know this? I usually respect your opinion, but your making stuff up. All the creative talent, including writers who works on this and other shows are contracted to work on it until the very end. You don't fucking hire people off the street who haven't work a day on this show just to get something on the air because the crew needs to find other work. TV crews don't bail on jobs because there's only so much time left while under contract. Most TV production people are freelance and you won't get hired on other jobs without connections and recommendations from the showrunner and other producers.
Old 08-24-15, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 490 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
How would you even know this? I usually respect your opinion, but your making stuff up. All the creative talent, including writers who works on this and other shows are contracted to work on it until the very end. You don't fucking hire people off the street who haven't work a day on this show just to get something on the air because people need to find other work. TV crews don't bail on jobs because there's only so much time left while under contract.
The industry doesn't work like that for writers. Most staff writers live on one-year contracts with options and it is industry practice to allow them to leave if they get offered a better paying gig, even under contract. Production budgets also get pared down in the final year of a television run. There are all sorts of guild rules that lie far beyond the scope of this forum.
Old 08-24-15, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by randian View Post
Humans win in the last 5 minutes. Standard Hollywood trope.
My prediction is that they get to Washington and Tom Mason ends up becoming president.
Old 08-24-15, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
The industry doesn't work like that for writers. Most staff writers live on one-year contracts with options and it is industry practice to allow them to leave if they get offered a better paying gig, even under contract. Production budgets also get pared down in the final year of a television run. There are all sorts of guild rules that lie far beyond the scope of this forum.

For shits and giggles, I actually did some research and 4 of the 9 episodes that have aired were written by new people who haven't worked on the show before.

But still some of your logic is BS. Those "new writers" for this season aren't fresh and inexperienced college grads. These people were former staff writers on shows like CSI Miami, Hannibal, Nikita, Stargate, and Warehouse 13. In fact the former showrunner of Warehouse 13 is a staff writer this season.
Old 08-24-15, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk God

My prediction is that they get to Washington and Tom Mason ends up becoming president.
I think that's a very good prediction. And we'll get some cheesy voice over narration epilogue at the end.
Old 08-24-15, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 596 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by ericmylad View Post
Hmmm. According to wiki, it's been on every Sunday night since 6/28 which is 9 weeks.......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falling_Skies_(season_5)
It appears I am missing the 7/12 episode, but have 120 minutes recorded on 8/2.

Hmm ... I really don't want to jump into this and find out I screwed the pooch in the middle. Maybe I'll just delete them and wait for it to hit Amazon Prime. Since there is not a new season coming, I would think it will hit there pretty quick. Plus it will be much better quality (only get TNT in SD).
Old 08-25-15, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 596 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by 45shooter View Post
He'll pope up in the finale.

I fully expect Pope to have a "Randy Quaid in Independence Day" type of sacrificial redemption.

Lexi as a brunette is really hot. Why she gotta be evil?

Is it just me, or did that device that Tom got to kill the Espheni look like a sex toy?
Old 08-25-15, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, that's what I've been thinking for a while. Either that, or he dies.
Old 08-25-15, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 326 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door View Post
I fully expect Pope to have a "Randy Quaid in Independence Day" type of sacrificial redemption.
Yeah, seems pretty obvious.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.