Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Mr. Robot (USA) - Season 1 Discussion Thread - premieres 6/24/15

i'm diggin the show so far

the lead character is different but not too weird
Old 07-04-15, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I got more of a "American Psycho" feel than Fight Club but I do think he is an unreliable narrator. Truly excellent and very cinematic. Very adult for USA too. Interested to see if they can keep this up, would seem to be difficult.
Old 07-05-15, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm really enjoying this show. Possibly one of the better shows USA has put out in a long time.

I'm seeing a little bit of Dexter in him.
Spoiler:
For example: Dexter saves the victim's blood on a slide, Elliot burns their personal file on a cd and names it a music band)
Old 07-06-15, 07:52 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Match
I'm really enjoying this show. Possibly one of the better shows USA has put out in a long time.

I'm seeing a little bit of Dexter in him.
Spoiler:
For example: Dexter saves the victim's blood on a slide, Elliot burns their personal file on a cd and names it a music band)
Totally getting the dexter vibe.

Great show so far, a real surprise!
Old 07-06-15, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Episode 2 had about the same ratings as ep 1 on same day, but was up sharply in Live+3 which is a great sign. (1.7m viewers to 2.9m, 0.5 demo to 0.8)

I love the tone of the show, I think I'd like to see Esmail take on a classic sci-fi novel adaptation

Irvine Welsh (writer of Trainspotting, filth) gave it a big shout out on Twitter the other day (proclaiming its the coolest show on TV). I'm glad the highest paid actor on the show is the most disposable

Last edited by RichC2; 07-06-15 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-08-15, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing I missed the first time I watched the 2nd episode was at the end when Mr. Robot was talking to Elliot and consoling him, he put his hand on Elliot's shoulder and he didn't freak out. That's making me think now more than ever that Mr. Robot isn't real, especially with how Esmail said the show is heavily inspired by Fight Club.
Old 07-08-15, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flashburn
That's making me think now more than ever that Mr. Robot isn't real, especially with how Esmail said the show is heavily inspired by Fight Club.
Yeah, I agree. I also think a good way to tell this is to notice their environment (many people bustling around the benches, full benches, skaters, sunny weather) from the moment their conversation begins until it ends. Then at the end,
Spoiler:
Elliot wakes up on the rocks of the beach after earlier hurling himself off the rail.
notice the drastic change of environment. (fewer people bustling around, empty benches, no skaters, rain puddles next to the benches)
Spoiler:
This signifies that Elliot is waking up after being unconscious for a long time. It is also the first opportunity Mr Robot can move since he is simply a figment of Elliot's imagination.
Old 07-08-15, 02:43 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Give this show a bump with all the cyber attacks today!
Old 07-09-15, 11:52 AM

Didn't quite dig last night's show. Maybe they're getting too far afield to what was started.
Old 07-09-15, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Yeah, not sure I'd buttfuck a dude just to hack his phone.
I'm still enjoying the show though.

Greetings and salutations, you a hacker?

Old 07-09-15, 07:31 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Definitely Fight Club.
Old 07-10-15, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
Slater is not real. That much I know. What gets you thinking is how much of this is real and what is not.
The way the other hackers fail to interact with Mr. Robot certainly suggests it, as does the fact that the psychologist thinks he threw himself off that rail. Oddly, he didn't contest that implication, even though he should think that he was pushed off that rail.

I do wonder about EvilCorp. Presumably no real company would call itself that, but other people seem to use the phrase. It's not clear if our hero simply hears "EvilCorp" when the real name of the company is being used by others, and if all the billboards and brand stickers saying "EvilCorp" actually say something else. fsociety seems to be a real thing, unless this guy is so delusional he's posting youtube videos himself while thinking they're being posted by somebody else.
Old 07-10-15, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by randian
The way the other hackers fail to interact with Mr. Robot certainly suggests it, as does the fact that the psychologist thinks he threw himself off that rail. Oddly, he didn't contest that implication, even though he should think that he was pushed off that rail.

I do wonder about EvilCorp. Presumably no real company would call itself that, but other people seem to use the phrase. It's not clear if our hero simply hears "EvilCorp" when the real name of the company is being used by others, and if all the billboards and brand stickers saying "EvilCorp" actually say something else. fsociety seems to be a real thing, unless this guy is so delusional he's posting youtube videos himself while thinking they're being posted by somebody else.

He wouldn't implicate Mr Robot even if he does think he is real because then it ties him to FSociety.

Also, it was explained in the first episode that he has trained his brain to only see/hear EvilCorp when people say (or he sees) ECorp.
Old 07-10-15, 11:48 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

i didn't like the third episode
Old 07-10-15, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by randian
I presume that is just the way the character hears the name when another character calls it Ecorp or whatever.

This was certainly an edgy episode. I am glad a cable net is trying something this ambitious, it's bound to turn off some audiences with its style.
Old 07-11-15, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I presume that is just the way the character hears the name when another character calls it Ecorp or whatever.

This was certainly an edgy episode. I am glad a cable net is trying something this ambitious, it's bound to turn off some audiences with its style.

I thought so as well but in the last episode the Newscaster referred to the company as Evil Corp. And they even had the name "Evil Corp" in a graphic on the newscast.
Old 07-11-15, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Thrush
I thought so as well but in the last episode the Newscaster referred to the company as Evil Corp. And they even had the name "Evil Corp" in a graphic on the newscast.
Guess no one bothers to read my posts... It was already explained.
Old 07-11-15, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by flashburn
Also, it was explained in the first episode that he has trained his brain to only see/hear EvilCorp when people say (or he sees) ECorp.
I guess I missed that. Thanks for the clarification - it was bugging me slightly that everyone was referring to it as 'EvilCorp'. Makes sense now...
Old 07-11-15, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So once all was said and done, ratings for episode 2 doubled with Live+3 from 0.6 to 1.2, pretty impressive.

I thought the third episode was pretty entertaining, but it was definitely weaker than the previous two episodes, and I'm not liking Christian Grey Tyrell's perspective so much, it isn't compelling and kind of goofy. But overall, I'm still digging the show a lot. Could have done without the True Blood style gay anal, as I think there were other ways he could have gotten that done, but I'm pretty sure he enjoyed that.

Last edited by RichC2; 07-11-15 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-16-15, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Anyone watch episode 4? I have to admit...I'm completely lost at this point. I like bizarre stuff but this seems to have gone off the deep end. It probably demands closer attention than I'm actually giving it to understand it. Also, not enough Christian Slater. I may just drop this...
Old 07-16-15, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I love the show but if they drop Slater entirely I wouldn't be sad.
Old 07-16-15, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm out at this point as the last two episodes have been even more boring than confusing and none of the characters are all that interesting to watch implode.
Old 07-16-15, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Anyone watch episode 4? I have to admit...I'm completely lost at this point. I like bizarre stuff but this seems to have gone off the deep end. It probably demands closer attention than I'm actually giving it to understand it. Also, not enough Christian Slater. I may just drop this...
yeah, people are doing other stuff half the time like tapping away on their phones/tablets. I don't like to be spoon fed but this episode was confusing. It's like the character was in bizzaro land and we were in his drug induced hallucinations for 1 hour.
Old 07-16-15, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Loving this. Enjoyed the surreal disorientation of the latest episode and have zero intention of dropping this. I honestly don't find it all that confusing and/or challenging. Then again, not multitasking myself to distraction while viewing likely helps.

Infinitely more engrossing than anything USA has aired in recent memory. Their typical audience is probably utterly perplexed.

I find Slater's presence irrelevant to my enjoyment of the show. At times he's almost a distraction. I almost wish they had cast someone without as much name recognition. Then again, considering what his character likely represents, it does fit to a certain extent.

Last edited by meritocracy; 07-16-15 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-16-15, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

FWIW, I think this will be the last weird episode for a while. Even though we're only 4 episodes in The directing has taken a huge step back in episode 3 and 4 though, I feel like Ep 4 should have been done by Esmail himself, it was structured a lot like Comet but without the visual flair or atmosphere, it came off more like a 4 AM Adult Swim commercial in spots than it should have.

Last edited by RichC2; 07-16-15 at 09:10 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.