TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Big Brother 17--Premieres 6/24/2015

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-15, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Big Brother 17--Premieres 6/24/2015

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Pretty good finale. Vanessa deserved to win, but that 3rd part is just ridiculous and it always has been. The final comp shouldn't be so stupid and random.

I thought all 3 had a good enough season to win, though, but that blue dress had me leaning towards hoping for a Liz win.
The thing about the 3rd part of the HoH is that it does suck, but the players know it's coming and IF they are good enough can/should plan for it. Be good enough to take two people to the end who both will take you even if you can't win HoH. It's tough, but if they're that good then why can't they plan for it the way Derrick did? Through circumstance and decision-making Vanessa took Steve & Liz, that was the game she played, and we saw the results.

Liz looked good, but imo given her answers there was no way she deserved it.

That "reveal" about Vanessa was nauseating and it seemed to go over that way with most of the houseguests too. It felt like it was done just to give Vanessa a chance to say she'd won over 4 million dollars a couple times. When you announce to the house that you're not really a woman but a man, it's a big deal. Not that you're a professional poker player who 99% of the people wouldn't know anyway.
I agree with you here. And going to Vanessa broke up hearing from the returning non-jurors. Not that they say much anyway, but it was telling that of the 6 we heard nothing from Jase, Jeff or Clay, but only from Day, Jason & Audrey before going immediately to the gay/bi woman. I'm glad we heard from three of the returning non-jurors, but I wanted all of them to speak, and I don't at all care for it when they discriminate as blatantly as this.

I didn't like Austin from day 1, but he seemed to be different for the finale. He seemed kind of humble and when Da'vonne went at him he wasn't defensive at all. He actually seemed nicer and more self aware than he had all season in the house. Still can't see someone as narcissistic as Liz staying with him unless, at least for a while, the BB couple thing gets her more attention.
I agree again, though I feel like we've occasionally gotten little glimpses of this Austin, rarely, but I've briefly had that impression before. A real shame he so often went the way he did.

Shelli got a raw deal. I thought she was terrific in the jury discussions and just seemed like a really nice woman, but she was never liked by the feeders and most viewers for some reason. And I didn't get the appeal of Jason. He was offensive and totally annoying to me, yet most of the feeders and viewers found him adorable.
I liked Shelli too. She was into Clay which in some ways hurt her game (and popularity amongst some fans), and she was sometimes blind to how she came across, but I felt that she was among the smartest in the house and an equal to Vanessa. All of them have their faults. I think that some fans zero in on those of some players, while ignoring problems with others, but overall she was good at strategy and at comps.

As for Jason, I didn't often like him, but I felt that he had a decent head for the game, but was on the wrong side of the house. I think that what he said in the finale to Vanessa was one of the strongest reasons to give him respect though, by identifying Vanessa's biggest weakness with viewers and conveying it well.

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I noticed at the finale that Clay hugged Meg before Shelli so I wondered what that was all about.
It made sense to me, both if they do want to pursue something, as well as if they are uncertain or don't. Meg going for Clay asap made sense for her. But I wasn't surprised by him and Shelli being more hesitant, not wanting a huge moment on National TV, and also them feeling out where they stand after being apart for so many weeks. Clay has no idea what Shelli's been thinking in the house, and she has no idea what he's thought or done out of it. Say hello to the other hg's, let the cameras turn off, and then talk privately, possibly hoping to resume things but not expecting it.

Originally Posted by mnementh
I'm glad I didn't have to watch Vanessa answer the jury questions. When she's not being a bully, she sounds like she's making excuses rather than owning up to her gameplay. Liz definitely lost the game when she didn't answer the questions directly. Players should be able to give the "Why do you deserve to win" speech before they even step foot in the house.
Yeah. I have respect for her gameplay (though don't think it was as brilliant as some), but she never owned her game, was a bully as you say, and needed to invent reasons for her decisions while hypocritically going on and on about how she hated liars.

She was also incapable of admitting mistakes in her read of people, like how the Clay/James fight really started because she asked John how he knew something, he replied that he figured it out, and she couldn't even imagine the possibility. John was smarter than she had thought, but that was out of the realm of possibility for her, and so she had to go on a witchhunt to figure out what "really" happened.
Old 09-25-15, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

I guess I just don't get this "owning the game". Derrick never owned his game last year. He lied all season in the DR. Dan only owned his game in jury questions in season 10. Production has used the DR comments against players in the past.

I don't think anyone thinks Vanessa played a perfect game. She just played the best game in the house, and she pretty much had some measure of control over every eviction after Day left. Also, we really don't have any idea how she would have answered the jury questions b/c she didn't get to final 2.
Old 09-25-15, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For me, Derrick never had the crying (which seemed fake), the emotional outbursts (which also seemed fake), the need to tell everyone repeatedly that he was a good person and the need to invent reasons and go on a witchhunt in order to nominate and vote people off, all while calling himself brilliant and not accepting reality because he was too impressed with his own staggering intellect. My recollection is that Dan didn't really do that either, minus the theatrical funeral, though I'll admit I don't recall his Season as well as I do more recent ones.

So, to me, Vanessa came off as very fake, hypocritical, and either blind to reality or at least to how her own actions were perceived by at least some of those watching. I still dislike many of the others even more, but none of those impressions of her were favorable for me. I have no problem with her lying to the house, but to take it to such extremes while seemingly lying to herself and us, I do take issue with.

If Vanessa had played the best game then she would have either won the last HoH or been in a Final 3 that would have taken her to the end, and then won. That's part of the game too, and it was in no way unexpected. A player can like or favor some aspects of the game over others, but has to plan well enough for them all if they want to be the best.
Old 09-25-15, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Derrick played a motherfucker of a social game. He just kept himself on everyone's good side, kept the heat off of himself, didn't make any waves or burn any bridges. But was still in full control of the game; he wasn't nominated one time for eviction, even with that "battle of the block" twist increasing the number of noms.
Old 05-24-16, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Don't know if anyone watched the slightly stupid Big Brother/Price is Right crossover show that aired, but the final two at the showcase (with their real people partners) ended up being the final 2 we should have gotten in season 7, Will and Janelle.

Of course, Will won and then went and hugged Zingbot. Also, Lawon got to be one of the models in the showcase so he finally got that special power.
Old 05-26-16, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Don't know if anyone watched the slightly stupid Big Brother/Price is Right crossover show that aired
I watched for some reason. Holy shit what a painfully annoying show. The constant screaming from the crowd and people jumping around like idiots was like nails on a chalkboard. The games were also mostly luck. Good to see Doctor Will, Janelle and some of the others though. Britney looked hot.
Old 05-26-16, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Finisher
I watched for some reason. Holy shit what a painfully annoying show. The constant screaming from the crowd and people jumping around like idiots was like nails on a chalkboard. The games were also mostly luck. Good to see Doctor Will, Janelle and some of the others though. Britney looked hot.
I found it more entertaining than the "Survivor" version. I sort of "scanned" the "Amazing Race" episode, since I don't really think of that in terms of having "favorites" that I want to check in on. I tend to get more "attached" to the "Big Brother" contestants, possibly because you spend so much more time with them.
Old 06-13-16, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is the rumored breakdown of the new season:

Spoiler:
10 all-new houseguests.
2 new houseguests that share a mysterious connection (it might be to each other, or to another houseguest (but they're not twins).
4 mentors (who, -based on the schedule, -will probably be joining the game):
Derrick (winner)
Ian (winner)
Audrey (the transgendered houseguest from last season)
Vanessa (The Poker Player)

There was going to be a "live" event introducing the new houseguests to subscribers, but that's been cancelled because of the Orlando shootings. Instead, they will be revealed tomorrow via taped interviews.

Again, these qualify as "rumors".
Old 06-13-16, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If true why in the hell would they bring
Spoiler:
Vanessa back?! Ive seen Styrofoam blocks that were more interesting than her.
Old 06-13-16, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
If true why in the hell would they bring
Spoiler:
Vanessa back?! Ive seen Styrofoam blocks that were more interesting than her.
I liked
Spoiler:
Vanessa, despite the fact that she eventually lost her way. She was a fan favorite, so I'm not surprised she's returning. What I can't get is why bring Audrey back. She completely burned out due to the stress and her meds....aren't they the least bit concerned this could happen again??

Oh...wait...this IS Big Brother we're talking about, isn't it...
Old 06-13-16, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Don't know if anyone watched the slightly stupid Big Brother/Price is Right crossover show that aired...
I watched about 20 minutes of the Survivor one, then scanned the rest and scanned the Amazing Race and Big Brother one. It was over the top. I like game shows, but the seemingly fake excitement and antics by all involved made it unwatchable.

That said, I wish they'd just have a primetime special with each show, bringing people back, having them talk about what they've been doing and their thoughts on the current season.

Don't know if anyone listens to this, but I found the "Rob Has a Podcast" podcast last week from Survivor's Rob Cesternino. They have some somewhat interesting talks on there about Survivor, but more interesting is when they have on reality show editors and producers to talk about the behind-the-scenes. Worth checking out if you're bored.
Old 06-13-16, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, its a bit of a joke.
Spoiler:
Vanessa was on meds and barely interacted, and when she did it was usually bizarre. So, yeah, of course, she's a "mentor".

On the other hand,
Spoiler:
we have two players, -Derek and Vanessa, -who's game wasn't all that apparent to the houseguests (Vanessa's was a bit more obvious to some, but even so they still kept her), but now they're working with people who know who they're dealing with. I imagine it'll be about the loyalties they establish during the "mentoring" period.
Old 06-13-16, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Someone else in the know came out on Friday and said
Spoiler:
the coach thing was false and that there would be more than 6 returning players. It sounds more like fans vs favorites.
Old 06-13-16, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dino88
Someone else in the know came out on Friday and said
Spoiler:
the coach thing was false and that there would be more than 6 returning players. It sounds more like fans vs favorites.
Spoiler:
I prefer it to the mentor thing, as its more straight-forward (cuz you know they're going to play), on the other hand the producer has always shown a proclivity for protecting her favorites).