Game of Thrones (S5E09) - "The Dance of Dragons" - 6/7/15

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-15, 03:27 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S5E09) - "The Dance of Dragons" - 6/7/15

Originally Posted by dave-o
Yes, holy shit do people get pissed off when someone dare not like something about their precious show.

Don't burn me at the stake! I am a huge GoT fan and will watch till the bitter end, no matter how morbid and depressing it gets!
no worries unless you have royal blood
Old 06-08-15, 03:27 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Stannous the Mannis --> Stannis the Anus
Old 06-08-15, 03:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
I too will use that rationalization.. that will help me sleep better at night - these guys stood toe to toe with a F'n Dragon like they were professional dragon slayers - chucking spears at it....

No one has seen a dragon in hundreds of years - everyone should have been running for their lives!!
Every single person in Meereen knows of Dany and her dragons. There's no reason to think quite a few of them hadn't already seen Drogon by now what with him on the loose and flying everywhere.
Old 06-08-15, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, holy shit do people get pissed off when someone dare not like something about their precious show.
That's trivializing it a tad. I think a lot of the push back is about the selectiveness of what people are offended by, not so much the base fact that they don't like something about the show.

Also there have been some subtle undertones with people's comments (not specifically Hiro) that morally some situations shouldn't be in the show and that I have a problem with.
Old 06-08-15, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,429 Likes on 4,396 Posts

I find the backlash to this episode absolutely shocking. Sure the barbequing of Shireen was horrific and uncalled for, but it's not like you didn't see it coming from like four episodes away. She was a nice character and sweet, clearly not long for this world they created. In a show with so much of unpleasantness, it seems an odd time to suddenly be offended. I didn't understand the Sansa uproar much either, but this one was even more obviously laid out for us.
Old 06-08-15, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
That's trivializing it a tad. I think a lot of the push back is about the selectiveness of what people are offended by, not so much the base fact that they don't like something about the show.

Also there have been some subtle undertones with people's comments (not specifically Hiro) that morally some situations shouldn't be in the show and that I have a problem with.
Disagreeing with offends people is one thing (again, I don't see why people are offended myself eithier), but some of the comments like saying "mental midget" and the quick GTFO comes off as pretty childish. I think it was unfair to lump Hiro's comments in with the internet and twitter response to Sansa and respond in that same way.
Old 06-08-15, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
...but some of the comments like saying "mental midget" and the quick GTFO comes off as pretty childish. I think it was unfair to lump Hiro's comments in with the internet and twitter response to Sansa and respond in that same way.
I agree and even admitted that I did so in a later post.
Old 06-08-15, 03:55 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Well I think the backlash is really against people who are going from loyal viewers to quitting the show before the season is through over one little thing.
Old 06-08-15, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
I find the backlash to this episode absolutely shocking. Sure the barbequing of Shireen was horrific and uncalled for, but it's not like you didn't see it coming from like four episodes away. She was a nice character and sweet, clearly not long for this world they created. In a show with so much of unpleasantness, it seems an odd time to suddenly be offended. I didn't understand the Sansa uproar much either, but this one was even more obviously laid out for us.
I just don't get how anyone can say it's uncalled for yet. It's a plot device being used to move along a story line that no one knows how it will end yet. If after that plot line or series is completed we can then discuss if it really was necessary. (and truth be told I'd rather have that conversation here than in the comments section of a Buzzfeed or Vulture article)

With movies we don't have to wait weeks, months, or years to see how things come to fruition, but with TV series we usually do. Maybe the fact that much of this show has been in book form for years before and now we are getting into uncharted territory that is causing a lot of the sentiment, but that still shouldn't be an excuse.

I think this was more egregious with a lot of comments made after the Sansa scene.
Old 06-08-15, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
I just don't get how anyone can say it's uncalled for yet. It's a plot device being used to move along a story line that no one knows how it will end yet. If after that plot line or series is completed we can then discuss if it really was necessary. (and truth be told I'd rather have that conversation here than in the comments section of a Buzzfeed or Vulture article)

With movies we don't have to wait weeks, months, or years to see how things come to fruition, but with TV series we usually do. Maybe the fact that much of this show has been in book form for years before and now we are getting into uncharted territory that is causing a lot of the sentiment, but that still shouldn't be an excuse.

I think this was more egregious with a lot of comments made after the Sansa scene.
I agree, given the context of the show I'd actually say the Shireen thing made complete sense for Stannis from everything we've seen. I wouldn't call it uncalled for at all.
Old 06-08-15, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought the most outrageous thing about this episode was no female nudity.
Old 06-08-15, 04:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fumanstan
some of the comments like saying "mental midget" and the quick GTFO comes off as pretty childish
Agreed. Those comments should be saved for the religion threads.
Old 06-08-15, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,597 Posts

I think one of the problems with Dorne is that we met the coolest one first, then imagined a country full of Oberyns, and we get a bunch of women and a ruler riddled with gout (did they mention the gout in the show? I remember hearing it from here and elsewhere, but I was initially confused why he never got out of his chair). Doran seems like a pretty just guy, but in this world he comes off as weak because everyone else is so vicious, I think. He forgives his brother's mistress for an open act of rebellion and almost instigating a war, he doesn't want to go to war over trivial matters, and his son, the prince, gets hit and he doesn't immediately execute the offender. Unless he has some deeply hidden, evil agenda, the dude is gonna be toast eventually.
Old 06-08-15, 04:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Groucho
To be fair, most of the stuff discussed on the show is not something that's going to be fixed overnight. For example, I don't expect the United States bail system to change any time soon.
Thank goodness most of us who are incarcerated have internet access.
Old 06-08-15, 04:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
i wonder if greyscale people won't burn.
So...can we expected a zombie left cheek to reappear?
Old 06-08-15, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,061 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by Shazam
I thought the most outrageous thing about this episode was no female nudity.
Right, especially with an extended scene in a brothel. Not all of those women were underage, damnit!
Old 06-08-15, 04:18 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I think one of the problems with Dorne is that we met the coolest one first, then imagined a country full of Oberyns, and we get a bunch of women and a ruler riddled with gout (did they mention the gout in the show? I remember hearing it from here and elsewhere, but I was initially confused why he never got out of his chair). Doran seems like a pretty just guy, but in this world he comes off as weak because everyone else is so vicious, I think. He forgives his brother's mistress for an open act of rebellion and almost instigating a war, he doesn't want to go to war over trivial matters, and his son, the prince, gets hit and he doesn't immediately execute the offender. Unless he has some deeply hidden, evil agenda, the dude is gonna be toast eventually.
i was offended by this bit of dialog:

"I believe in second chances. I don't believe in third chances"

the writers have been setting us up for 5 years with fantastic dialog from the likes of tywin, olenna, tyrion, baelish, varys, bronn, etc. and now we're given that turd. ugh.
Old 06-08-15, 04:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bandoman
Because winter is coming.
Old 06-08-15, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Now that Daeny's husband is dead, how long before she marries Tyrion and how upset will Ser Friendzone be that he was responsible for bringing him into her life. Is there a possible romantic comedy spinoff possibility here?
Old 06-08-15, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
Now that Daeny's husband is dead, how long before she marries Tyrion and how upset will Ser Friendzone be that he was responsible for bringing him into her life. Is there a possible romantic comedy spinoff possibility here?
2 and half guys, a girl, and a dragon?
Old 06-08-15, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Now that Mereen is pretty much a lost cause (please oh please move on from that place), Dany should really save her hand in marriage for someone who's going to actually make a decent ally in the quest to conquer Westeros... I don't think Tyrion brings anything to the table in that respect. Of course, neither does Jorah, but he'd be happy just being the kind of friend the mercenary guy is with her.

I take it that most of the Unsullied and mercenaries were like chilling in the barracks or something, and that they weren't all overwhelmed in the arena? Because I can't take another season of Dany building up another army from scratch.
Old 06-08-15, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 282 Likes on 212 Posts

Daeny never officially married right? The dude was the 'future Grace' from what I recall a few eps ago.
Old 06-08-15, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
2 and half guys, a girl, and a dragon?
and a pizza place.
Old 06-08-15, 06:38 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Dragon tastes like chicken.
Old 06-08-15, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker
Let me explain it from my perspective: it's one thing to show senseless killing and torture of relatively minor characters or adults who were either too stupid to see it coming (the Starks) or too morally compromised for us really to care that much (Theon).

It's entirely another thing to take a nine year old girl, the one utterly sweet, kindly and innocent character in the show, build her up with several scenes this year and in prior years, carefully establish her father's love, her kindness, her intelligence and her bravery and then with sadistic slowness march her out and have her burned alive screaming for several long minutes while her father watches.

To me, the excruciating build up and absolutely heartlessly brutal delivery of Shireen's death went beyond anything this show has done and into the realm of sadism. At some point watching this scene, it occurred to me that I felt manipulated. I also felt like the show was doing it because it was known as the show that will go places other shows won't. The shocks of the show have become a crutch.

Part of this is certainly due to the fact that the fourth and fifth books of the series are terrible: the show doesn't have much to work with and needs to maintain momentum. I just wish it would try for a different note than unrelenting darkness. Darkness for its own sake doesn't make the show more "hardcore" or "adult" or "interesting", in fact it does precisely the opposite. Unrelenting horror makes it one note, lazy, manipulative and boring. That's how I see it. You may disagree.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.