Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Royal Pains (USA) - Series Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-09, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Royal Pains -- "Strategic Planning" -- 6/18/09

I will continue to watch this and Tivo The Listener.
Old 06-19-09, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
This shows drifting into the if the "I'll watch because nothing else is on" zone. I think all the supporting characters are more interesting than Hank, and there's something about Mark Feuerstein's acting that just annoys me.

Yep. The Indian chick is nice to look at, but most of these characters are lame.
Old 06-19-09, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It does get a House vibe... I hope it doesn't turn into that on a weekly basis... though last weeks episode had a similar vibe with the girl that passed out all the time. I like everyone except the brother. He's ok, but is getting a bit annoying. I do wonder at the last line of Borris
Spoiler:
"I've got plans for you!"
Old 06-19-09, 10:00 PM

There's no way I going to watch this again to check, but I'm almost positive that, during the exam montage, Dr. Hank was using an otoscope to look in Senator Son's ear. How did he miss the tick?

Like others have said, this show would be a lot more interesting if Divya and Boris were the main characters.

Is there some official policy at USA Network that the main character on their original shows has to have an annoying family member?

If this show even thinks of hooking up Hank's brother with Divya (who is way, WAY too good for him), I am done with it.
Old 06-19-09, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where was the dog walker guy from? I am remembering him from another show but it is not coming to me.
Old 06-19-09, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why would he automatically assume that the deer tick bit him in the ear? Could have been on his scalp or quite a few other places.

And I've never even heard of a tick biting somebody in the ear - that's a pretty sensitive area, he would feel it crawling in there.
Old 06-20-09, 12:03 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Where was the dog walker guy from? I am remembering him from another show but it is not coming to me.
Weeds
Old 06-20-09, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually liked the brother in the first couple of eps, but this week he was insufferable. In fact I didn't care for this entire episode. I definitely didn't get a House vibe because, unlike House, they made no effort to engage the viewer with the medical mystery. Instead they focused on the caricature of an overachieving family they created. The only House moment was the House like epiphany.
Old 06-21-09, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

I actually liked this episode alot more than last week.

Hank is kind of growing on me. I think his character does have alot of room to grow though. Evan on the other hand was annoying as hell in this episode.

I agree that I like Diviya as well. She is a much more interesting sidekick to Hank than his brother. Plus, she looked really nice in this episode.

I think the writers blew a good chance to have some fun with Evan and the 3 hot girls. Instead, they gave him some horrendous dialogue and made him look and sound like a fucking douchebag.

You know I don't think they have given Jill enough screentime to really give the audience a fair assessment of her. I think there is definitely chemistry with her and Hank.

Not crazy about the medical mystery of the week angle. Although I thought the deer tick thing was more interesting than the fainting ballerina last week.
Old 06-21-09, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: Royal Pains -- "There will be food" -- 6/11/09

I too expected that she was going to be watching him. Rather they then cut and have dinner a few hours later? Very, very odd.

I like that they are having Hank become the doctor for both the rich and the poor. It's like they're trying to add a dash of Dr. Andy Brown in there. I wonder if we'll get to the point where there is a conflict between a rich call and a freebie in need.

I'm also willing to bet that Jill gets caught by funneling him information at some point this season.
Old 06-22-09, 01:31 PM

Re: Royal Pains -- "There will be food" -- 6/11/09

Originally Posted by Superman07
I like that they are having Hank become the doctor for both the rich and the poor. It's like they're trying to add a dash of Dr. Andy Brown in there. I wonder if we'll get to the point where there is a conflict between a rich call and a freebie in need.
That seems like the way that they are going to do it. I think it's interesting as well since it does a lot for his character. He's the type of guy that always has to help people which is really interested but I think they are setting it up so that might actually get him in trouble with Boris since he didn't seem too happy that Hank was helping other locals.
Old 06-25-09, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Royal Pains -- "TB or not TB" -- 6/25/09

Royal Pains

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

A chef suffers a stroke but disappears before being treated. Elsewhere, Evan and Divya evaluate their positions in Hank's new business, and Hank and Jill spend time together on the day that Hank had previously planned to get married.

Quite surprised that this has been getting higher ratings than Burn Notice even though it's been inconsistent creatively.

Actually it was the 2nd highest rated cable show last week behind The Closer.
Old 06-26-09, 12:29 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Re: Royal Pains -- "TB or not TB" -- 6/25/09

I was hoping Evan would somehow fall into the shark tank later on in the episode.
Old 06-26-09, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I downloaded the free pilot from Amazon. The actor is good. Lot of beautiful women. Diagnosing all those diseases and ailments sounds like House (I never watched that show)? I doubt I'd care to watch another episode.
Old 06-26-09, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

I've concluded the only 2 reasons to watch this show are for the girlfriend and the Indian assistant - whom they seem to be hooking up with the idiot brother.
Old 06-26-09, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by big whoppa
I downloaded the free pilot from Amazon. The actor is good. Lot of beautiful women. Diagnosing all those diseases and ailments sounds like House (I never watched that show)? I doubt I'd care to watch another episode.
The pilot was alright because it's, well, a pilot.

Unfortunately, the episodes following didn't improve. This show is incredibly bland. This episode just furthered that train of thought, and the bickering between the brother and the PA isn't charming, cute, or funny... it's just annoying.
Old 06-26-09, 08:53 AM

The only positive thing I can say about this episode is that Divya gets hotter every week.
Originally Posted by MrX
I was hoping Evan would somehow fall into the shark tank later on in the episode.
I was hoping for a Chekhov's gun scenario (a gun introduced in the first act goes off in the third) with the shark and Evan, but this show continues to disappoint.
Or maybe something like this:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yMwmqp3GLMc&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yMwmqp3GLMc&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Originally Posted by Me, in last week's thread
If this show even thinks of hooking up Hank's brother with Divya (who is way, WAY too good for him), I am done with it.
Old 06-26-09, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I think the problem is that Royal Pains seems to have misunderstood what USA's "Characters Welcome" mantra means. Yes, they have an attractive beginning for these characters, but they have yet to begin to really develop them. Furthermore, even developed characters need more interesting plots to make them compelling. So far, the series has been too formulaic and one-dimensional. And yet, I keep watching...maybe they're doing something right, after all.
Old 06-26-09, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I think the problem is that Royal Pains seems to have misunderstood what USA's "Characters Welcome" mantra means. Yes, they have an attractive beginning for these characters, but they have yet to begin to really develop them. Furthermore, even developed characters need more interesting plots to make them compelling. So far, the series has been too formulaic and one-dimensional. And yet, I keep watching...maybe they're doing something right, after all.
Meh. It certainly seems to be relying on the fact that nothing new is on to compete with. I'd certainly watch it over a repeat of something else.

I think involving Campbell Scott's character a little more could make this show a lot better.
Old 06-26-09, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I think i read somewhere that we find out why Campbell Scott wants Hank around. I believe that is episode 6 or 7.
Old 06-27-09, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^^
Well, my guess is that he has cancer. Even though its been widely discredited, shark cartilage has been reputed to be able to combat cancer. I think that he's found an experimental treatment based on this but no mainstream doctor will have anything to do with it. So what's better than to have a disgraced yet highly qualified and talented individual as his personal physician to perform said treatment.

Note that is not based on any info I have -- pure guesswork.
Old 06-27-09, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

The brother is continuing to annoy. And the Indian chick is quickly doing the same.

Also, "HankMed" is a really stupid name.
Old 06-27-09, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had my fill of the brother in the pilot.
Old 06-29-09, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Flave
^^
Well, my guess is that he has cancer. Even though its been widely discredited, shark cartilage has been reputed to be able to combat cancer. I think that he's found an experimental treatment based on this but no mainstream doctor will have anything to do with it. So what's better than to have a disgraced yet highly qualified and talented individual as his personal physician to perform said treatment.

Note that is not based on any info I have -- pure guesswork.
That's a pretty good diagnosis from you, man. That's a definite possibility, I thought it might just be because of the whole party scene and him seeing in person what he can do to save people that might consume too much alcohol or drugs, but that's definitely possible.

I wonder if Hank is going to continue to treat others if this happens? The producers tease a bit of ongoing patient talk in this interview.
Old 06-30-09, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk God

I liked this episode although I agree with some of your comments that it's getting a little too formulaic like a typical medical procedural.

I was actually surprised to see Callie Thorne (Sheila from Rescue Me) guest star in this episode.

I thought Diviya looked really good in this episode. Her skirts and suits look great on her. Very classy, yet very sexy.

But, her and Evan arguing constantly and his pathetic attempts to put the moves on her suck.

Alright I'm going to say it right now, I hate Evan. The stuff with him translating with Italian was so lame. His little blurbs to the tape recorder..."Note to self" suck.

I am still liking that they are casually and slowly building some chemistry between Hank and Jill. I definitely see some potential with them if they don't fuck it up with something stupid like a "Hankapalooza."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.