Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Jeopardy! Discussion

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jeopardy! Discussion

Old 06-03-19, 10:48 PM
  #351  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 1,804
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Something didn't feel right about James' performance. Anyone know what the Vegas odds were for James to win tonight? It would be interesting to see who bet against James in this episode.
Old 06-03-19, 11:01 PM
  #352  
DVD Talk Legend
 
andicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 12,698
Received 985 Likes on 706 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

I'm amazed that any betting is allowed on a pre-taped show, considering quite a few people know who's going to win each episode.
Old 06-04-19, 12:42 AM
  #353  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 80,925
Received 1,350 Likes on 916 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Originally Posted by whotony
Those sites arenít this one.
And you felt a need to go into thread where there is the very possibility if being spoiled. Suck it up up cupcake.
Old 06-04-19, 08:31 AM
  #354  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,508
Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

A few thoughts on this game:
  • It was the first taping day after Alex announced his condition, which he actually did in the middle of the previous taping day (for those that don't know, they tape all 5 Mon-Fri games in one day). This would explain why James' daughter had a card for him. I wonder if that threw James off his game, having a day to process that
  • The fact is that while not as good as usual, James still played a very good game and only lost because of the daily doubles, he still got more correct answers than Emma
  • Both of his competitors were good. It was a record number of correct responses as only one clue was not answered correctly (oddly enough a top row clue from the Double Jeopardy round)
  • It's kind of crazy to think that even though James' run was so long, it finished filming before any of it aired (this episode was recorded on March 12, his first episode aired April 4)
Old 06-04-19, 08:38 AM
  #355  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,508
Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Also I love the fact that James has a sense of humor about this. His twitter profile picture right now is a still from Weird Al's I Lost on Jeopardy video
Old 06-04-19, 08:47 AM
  #356  
DVD Talk Legend
 
wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 21,433
Likes: 0
Received 167 Likes on 118 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

^ I saw James' high five to Emma Boettcher on the news this morning. A great run and a lot of fun to watch. I look forward to seeing James again on Tournament of Champions, All-Star Games, etc.
Old 06-04-19, 08:59 AM
  #357  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Goat3001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 17,116
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Apropos of nothing, I think it's great that with all the content out there and all the things that are vying for our time and money, that Jeopardy can still manage to capture the attention of the American populace. I know that James' run only made him a minor celebrity but everyone I talk to seems to not only know about him but have actively made time to try to watch him. I think that's awesome.
Old 06-04-19, 09:10 AM
  #358  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 80,925
Received 1,350 Likes on 916 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Originally Posted by joltman
Also I love the fact that James has a sense of humor about this. His twitter profile picture right now is a still from Weird Al's I Lost on Jeopardy video
He also tweeted out about inviting Drake to that taping, which was fantastic.
Old 06-04-19, 09:14 AM
  #359  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 130,062
Received 587 Likes on 473 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Gotta give her credit. James didn't lose it; she won it. Great timing on the buzzer to prevent him taking control of the board and finding the DDs. Doubled down on her first DD which put her into a lead and she held on. Answered everything she buzzed in on correctly. This was the recipe for an upset. So weird that it happened the game where he was poised to take the $ record.

And I have no problem with his FJ wager. He knew she was going to wager enough to put her ahead by $1 if he went all in, so no point in doing that. Just stay ahead of the 3rd place guy and hope she gets it wrong. Classic game theory. And at some of the conspiracy theories going around about him being tired and wanting to go home.

Unfortunately, all the scuttlebutt yesterday with the spoilers made it kind of a letdown. Then again in today's day and age, I'm surprised it stayed a secret this long.
Old 06-04-19, 09:46 AM
  #360  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 130,062
Received 587 Likes on 473 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Originally Posted by joltman
Also I love the fact that James has a sense of humor about this. His twitter profile picture right now is a still from Weird Al's I Lost on Jeopardy video
That's awesome.

And I loved his tweet re: the conspiracy theory about him throwing it because he wants to go home to be with his daughter:

Sure, I could stick around and play a game that pays me $150,000 per hour, but I'd really rather get toys thrown at my crotch for free
Old 06-04-19, 11:50 AM
  #361  
DVD Talk Legend
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 22,896
Received 565 Likes on 412 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

I was about to post his twitter response too.
It actually a pretty good twitter follow.

Ken Jennings isn’t bad either. He’s pretty funny.

James and his wife posted some kind of cancer challenge to the previous winners.
Something that involves smashing an egg on his head, which they did.
Old 06-04-19, 11:58 AM
  #362  
DVD Talk Legend
 
wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 21,433
Likes: 0
Received 167 Likes on 118 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Originally Posted by whotony
James and his wife posted some kind of cancer challenge to the previous winners.
Something that involves smashing an egg on his head, which they did.
I think his wife enjoyed doing that.
Old 06-04-19, 05:00 PM
  #363  
DVD Talk Legend
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 22,896
Received 565 Likes on 412 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

If I remember right the person who knocked off Jennings lost immediately in the next game.
Old 06-04-19, 05:40 PM
  #364  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 62,488
Received 893 Likes on 631 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Originally Posted by joltman
A few thoughts on this game:
  • The fact is that while not as good as usual, James still played a very good game and only lost because of the daily doubles, he still got more correct answers than Emma
Going into Final Jeopardy, didn't Trebek say that between the three of them they only missed a single question? That's damn impressive.
Old 06-04-19, 06:26 PM
  #365  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 130,062
Received 587 Likes on 473 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Originally Posted by whotony
If I remember right the person who knocked off Jennings lost immediately in the next game.
Yep. I think the contestants that beat the players with the 3 or 4 highest Jeopardy win streaks lost in their subsequent match.
Old 06-04-19, 06:41 PM
  #366  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 27,251
Received 766 Likes on 641 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Gotta give her credit. James didn't lose it; she won it. Great timing on the buzzer to prevent him taking control of the board and finding the DDs. Doubled down on her first DD which put her into a lead and she held on. Answered everything she buzzed in on correctly. This was the recipe for an upset. So weird that it happened the game where he was poised to take the $ record.

And I have no problem with his FJ wager. He knew she was going to wager enough to put her ahead by $1 if he went all in, so no point in doing that. Just stay ahead of the 3rd place guy and hope she gets it wrong. Classic game theory. And at some of the conspiracy theories going around about him being tired and wanting to go home.

Unfortunately, all the scuttlebutt yesterday with the spoilers made it kind of a letdown. Then again in today's day and age, I'm surprised it stayed a secret this long.
I don't think the producers wanted James to beat Ken Jennings's all-time money total, which he would have if he won on Monday.

Monday's contestants seem to have been hand-picked to topple James. Emma wrote her Masters' thesis on Jeopardy, having studied its questions. The other guy was apparently a Trivial Pursuit savant that had memorized the entire first edition of the game. And make no mistake, the third place guy answering enough questions kept the scores closer than normal.

James did have the bad luck of hitting the Daily Double on the first question.

Old 06-04-19, 06:45 PM
  #367  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 3,009
Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I don't think the producers wanted James to beat Ken Jennings's all-time money total, which he would have if he won on Monday.

Monday's contestants seem to have been hand-picked to topple James. Emma wrote her Masters' thesis on Jeopardy, having studied its questions. The other guy was apparently a Trivial Pursuit savant that had memorized the entire first edition of the game. And make no mistake, the third place guy answering enough questions kept the scores closer than normal.

James did have the bad luck of hitting the Daily Double on the first question.
By that line of thinking the next step would be the producers changing the location of the DD on the fly to make sure Emma hit it. There are laws against this type of manipulation.
Old 06-04-19, 06:54 PM
  #368  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 27,251
Received 766 Likes on 641 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Originally Posted by Kdogg
By that line of thinking the next step would be the producers changing the location of the DD on the fly to make sure Emma hit it. There are laws against this type of manipulation.
The producers are legally allowed to pick whomever they wanted to challenge James. But this was not an ordinary panel of contestants. They loaded it up with two top-notch challengers to give James a real fight. The producers have a huge pool of applicants, they are not chosen at random.

This was always the scenario I envisioned James losing in, one with two strong opponents and them getting a little lucky by stealing the daily doubles.
Old 06-04-19, 08:42 PM
  #369  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 130,062
Received 587 Likes on 473 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I don't think the producers wanted James to beat Ken Jennings's all-time money total, which he would have if he won on Monday.

Monday's contestants seem to have been hand-picked to topple James. Emma wrote her Masters' thesis on Jeopardy, having studied its questions. The other guy was apparently a Trivial Pursuit savant that had memorized the entire first edition of the game. And make no mistake, the third place guy answering enough questions kept the scores closer than normal.

James did have the bad luck of hitting the Daily Double on the first question.
Yeah, because he's only bringing them the highest ratings they've had in years. Give me a break.
Old 06-05-19, 02:13 PM
  #370  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Newberg, OR
Posts: 17,551
Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The producers are legally allowed to pick whomever they wanted to challenge James. But this was not an ordinary panel of contestants. They loaded it up with two top-notch challengers to give James a real fight. The producers have a huge pool of applicants, they are not chosen at random.

This was always the scenario I envisioned James losing in, one with two strong opponents and them getting a little lucky by stealing the daily doubles.
Remember the whole quiz show scandal? They're not allowed to rig shows against a contestant. And, like Red Dog pointed out, they obviously wouldn't want to in this case anyways.

The questions and answers are set months before taping, the daily doubles are placed months before taping, and the contestants are notified of when they're going to appear on the show a month in advance.

There is no conspiracy here. Why did he run into a very smart competitor? Because everyone on the show is smart, and many are extremely smart. The actual online tests are quite difficult. You can't fake your way on to the show.
Old 06-05-19, 02:33 PM
  #371  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 43,805
Received 1,846 Likes on 1,431 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

James didn't even get onto the show on the first try either.

I know they tape a bunch at once, are competitors able to watch the shows that haven't aired? Because it definitely seemed like the later contestants were onto his strategy.
Old 06-05-19, 02:40 PM
  #372  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 3,009
Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Originally Posted by fujishig
James didn't even get onto the show on the first try either.

I know they tape a bunch at once, are competitors able to watch the shows that haven't aired? Because it definitely seemed like the later contestants were onto his strategy.
They tape five shows a day and if you are not in the game you donít see the taping. His whole run was like six days, taped in March/April so nobody saw him play in advance. They would know his win total and probably put two and two together quickly.
Old 06-05-19, 03:04 PM
  #373  
Political Exile
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,326
Received 466 Likes on 310 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

can't tell if it was posted already, but Jeopardy has posted the full episode online:
Old 06-05-19, 03:49 PM
  #374  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 27,251
Received 766 Likes on 641 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Jeopardy's producers have always manipulated the parameters for maximum entertainment. When Ken Jennings was on his run, they actually changed how new contestants were tested for the show by allowing them practice on Jeopardy's buzzer system, because they believed Ken's buzzer advantage was too much of an obstacle to overcome for regular challengers.

This is all public knowledge.
Old 06-05-19, 04:08 PM
  #375  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Newberg, OR
Posts: 17,551
Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Jeopardy's producers have always manipulated the parameters for maximum entertainment. When Ken Jennings was on his run, they actually changed how new contestants were tested for the show by allowing them practice on Jeopardy's buzzer system, because they believed Ken's buzzer advantage was too much of an obstacle to overcome for regular challengers.

This is all public knowledge.
Surely you can tell the difference between doing something that applies to all contestants to make it for fair for newcomers and rigging the show against one person?

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.