Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Modern Family (S6E22) - "Patriot Games" - 5/6/15

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-15, 02:30 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts
Modern Family (S6E22) - "Patriot Games" - 5/6/15

FOR ALEX IT'S A FIGHT TO THE END TO GET THE TITLE OF CLASS VALEDICTORIAN, ON ABC'S "MODERN FAMILY"

Guest Star Benjamin Bratt ("Miss Congeniality," "Law & Order") Reprises His Role as Javier, and Andy Daly ("MADtv") Returns as Principal Brown

"Patriot Games" - Alex's worst nightmare is realized when she gets news that she has to share the Valedictorian title with her number one competitor, Sunjay! Both sets of parents get equally caught up in the rivalry and convince Principal Brown to let them break the tie via a gym grade they both have not completed - a one mile run. Elsewhere, Gloria is studying for her upcoming U.S. citizenship test and a visit from Javier (guest star Benjamin Bratt) throws her off her game, and Mitch and Cam blindly agree to join a protest against a local restaurant that they are actually secretly excited about, on "Modern Family," WEDNESDAY, MAY 6 (9:00-9:31 p.m., ET), on the ABC Television Network.
Old 05-06-15, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Modern Family (S6E22) - "Patriot Games" - 5/6/15

Alex has to run? I guess there will be little to no discussion about the relative humor in the episode and the discussion will solely be about perverts' thoughts about an underage girls tits.
Old 05-06-15, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

That was my first thought too. Maybe they won't show her actually running. Or they'll CGI her breasts out.
Old 05-06-15, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

Did someone post the Alex running gif already?

Old 05-06-15, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
Alex has to run? I guess there will be little to no discussion about the relative humor in the episode and the discussion will solely be about perverts' thoughts about an underage girls tits.
Perhaps the discussion will be just like all the other MF threads, where everyone just bitches about hating the gay guys, instead of discussing other points of the episode. Would that be more to your reading preferences, Joe Puritan?
Old 05-06-15, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

She's 17... she's not underage in Canada, so it's ok for me to talk about her tits.
Old 05-07-15, 11:03 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Then maybe don't derail the thread even before you've seen the episode?
Old 05-07-15, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperJim88
Then maybe don't derail the thread even before you've seen the episode?
I never watch Modern Family live. I like to read the episode threads to see if they're worth watching, but many Modern Family threads don't discuss anything other than a child's boobs.
Old 05-07-15, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

I'll take the high road and avoid discussing Alex's storyline, and instead point out the one bit that got a real laugh out of me:

"Man, those shorts really take the sting out of getting yelled at"

I'm still pretty new to MF, and have to admit I only watch it because I've become a fan of The Goldbergs. I'm way behind on the history of the characters.
Old 05-07-15, 03:38 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

You can catch up by essentially watching a week's worth of USA reruns.
Old 05-07-15, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Alex and Sunjay remind me of a bunch of kids I knew in high school and college. I couldn't stand those try too hard pricks.

As an Indian guy myself, huge to the brown guy getting the hot white chick.

Mitch and Cam were terrible. Couldn't they have just googled the restaurant before making those signs?

Gloria in those shorts... jesus christ. Makes you forget about those 17 year olds.
Old 05-07-15, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I enjoyed the episode. I even liked Cam and Mitch.

The gag with Gloria in the shorts worked both as a drool-worthy visual but also for the great laugh, accentuated by what Ed O'Neil's look to the camera that felt more like the actor breaking character (despite the characters often looking at the camera when something amusing happens). And, yes, Alex looked super cute and I did like seeing her running (though I found myself staring at her legs more than anything). And I did enjoy how Sanjay's dad and Claire were all for the two kids ending up together.
Old 05-07-15, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a bad episode. Gloria's Texan accent was so bad.

On a side note, how did Sophia Vergara get a star on Hollywood Walk of Fame? Other than Modern Family, it looks like she hasn't done very much. But congrats to her, I guess.
Old 05-07-15, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nth Power

On a side note, how did Sophia Vergara get a star on Hollywood Walk of Fame? Other than Modern Family, it looks like she hasn't done very much. But congrats to her, I guess.
You should watch reruns of Fuera De Serie. She deserves her star.
Old 05-07-15, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I noticed early in the episode Vergara lost her fake Colombian accent a few times - which had nothing to do with the storyline.

I think the show is pulling a "She's All That" where they think pulling Alex's hair back, throwing glasses on her and making her wear baggier clothing is supposed to make her look a lot less attractive - ala. Rachael Leigh Cook. It's not working. The actress even keeps her nails perfectly done for a character that probably wouldn't have them as nice... at least get rid of the nail polish.
Old 05-07-15, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Coral
I think the show is pulling a "She's All That" where they think pulling Alex's hair back, throwing glasses on her and making her wear baggier clothing is supposed to make her look a lot less attractive - ala. Rachael Leigh Cook. It's not working. The actress even keeps her nails perfectly done for a character that probably wouldn't have them as nice... at least get rid of the nail polish.
I think they need to evolve the character altogether. Just because she's brainy doesn't mean she has to be frumpy. Or this TV show's misguided idea of frumpy.

Also, after the reveal regarding Steve Zahn's son, I'm surprised they haven't attempted to incorporate him into the story. Would be far more interesting than the boring as hell Hailey romantic subplot (that was mercifully absent from this episode).
Old 05-07-15, 11:38 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wondered the same thing. Supporting actresses on hit TV shows are getting them now? Something fishy there.
Old 05-08-15, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by aktick
I wondered the same thing. Supporting actresses on hit TV shows are getting them now? Something fishy there.
A person with at least five years of fame in entertainment has to be nominated to the Walk of Fame committee.
Then the celebrity has to confirm that they want a star.
Someone has to pony up $30,000 to the committee.
The celebrity has to agree to appear at the ceremony.

According to wikipedia, Clint Eastwood and Julia Roberts have refused nominations, and George Clooney won't agree to show up for the ceremony.
Old 05-08-15, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I think they need to evolve the character altogether. Just because she's brainy doesn't mean she has to be frumpy. Or this TV show's misguided idea of frumpy.
I wonder how much Alex will be on the show next year.

Obviously they will have her attend a California university, but it would be insanely contrived to have her hanging around all the time at home.

On another more perverted note, if she was really going to run a mile, they should have had a product placement for the world's most powerful sports bra.
Old 05-08-15, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

It's funny as a newbie to the show (yet six seasons in) that I don't have the annoyances that many long-time viewers have. Apparently Cam and Mitch are the whipping boys, but they don't bother me at all. At least not yet. I kinda liked their reaction of wanting to be political, but tired of yet another gay cause. As was emphasized by the clunky chant at the protest.

Just kinda curious, what's the consensus on Lily, obviously a new character. She's not a good actress, but she gets at least one bit in every show that gets me chuckling. This week it was the "They do know I can hear, right?". Last week it was when she was playing Go Fish with her dads, and they ask "got any queens?", with her "I got two big ones right here" response.
Old 05-08-15, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
A person with at least five years of fame in entertainment has to be nominated to the Walk of Fame committee.
Then the celebrity has to confirm that they want a star.
Someone has to pony up $30,000 to the committee.
The celebrity has to agree to appear at the ceremony.

According to wikipedia, Clint Eastwood and Julia Roberts have refused nominations, and George Clooney won't agree to show up for the ceremony.
I've always thought there would be stricter requirements, but seems pretty easy to get one then. I would think space is going to run out at some point. They might have to start making Walls of Fame.
Old 05-08-15, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Obviously they will have her attend a California university, but it would be insanely contrived to have her hanging around all the time at home.
They could always do a time jump to four years later. They did it before (when they recast Lily and I think also with Joe). Real question is why she would still be home after college.
Old 05-08-15, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They could always do a time jump to four years later. They did it before (when they recast Lily and I think also with Joe). Real question is why she would still be home after college.
I don't think they did a time jump with Lily, they just had her suddenly age.

If they did a real time jump to get Alex through college, all the characters would have to be four years older, which would now put Luke and Manny in college, just to name one problem.

As much as I like checking out her massive rack, I hope they just let Ariel Winter not be on the show very much. They really don't do very much with her character, except in the two or three episodes each year that focus on her.
Old 05-08-15, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think they did a time jump with Lily, they just had her suddenly age.
They did a small time jump of a few months. They skipped the early parts of Gloria's pregnancy.

The show switched out old Lily for new Lily but she's still a 6 year old. The show has been on for 6 years. I don't think they aged her much at all.

They can easily keep Alex on the show. She'll end up going to school somewhere close to home and they'll have a few episodes with her in college and a few with her home on break. They need to expand the character though. The nerdy kid thing is getting stale. I'd like to see an episode next season where Luke visits Alex. 15 year old horny Luke running around a college campus has some potential.
Old 05-08-15, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What I can see happening is that Haley will move out and buy a house in the same neighborhood and maybe Alex will move in with her (maybe even as a tenant). They'll spin Phil being a real estate agent as a way to get a good deal on the house or something. This way both characters are still in the show and have a reason to be involved with the family often because they live right down the street.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.