Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-15, 12:45 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

The drug commercials pretty much have to list all the side effects. More people die from common drugs like Tylenol than anything else that's different or new.
Old 07-27-15, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
The drug commercials pretty much have to list all the side effects. More people die from common drugs like Tylenol than anything else that's different or new.
I know, I don't think it is enough. They list them in that rambling monotone that your mind completely tunes out.
Old 07-27-15, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

There are so many of them you start wondering why anyone would take it in the first place.
Old 07-27-15, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
- public TV
- sports
- background noise
- news
- special events (Oscars, Grammys, CMAs, etc)
- at the movie theater
- streaming (Hulu, network channel streaming, etc)
- Late show/talk TV (Tonight Show, SNL, etc)
- YouTube (plus most other sites that force commercials prior to getting to an actual vid)

Given all the examples above and many more not listed I find it hard to believe someone could claim they HAVEN'T seen a commercial in years.

Companies have done a damn good job of forcing commercials on us despite the advent of DVRs.
- public TV Never watch it
- sports Only F1 and World Cup, always record and FF
- background noise Don't use the TV like that
- news Never watch
- special events (Oscars, Grammys, CMAs, etc) Never watch
- at the movie theater Those I get stuck seeing
- streaming (Hulu, network channel streaming, etc) Netflix stuff I watch has no ads
- Late show/talk TV (Tonight Show, SNL, etc) Only watch recorded, FF the ads
- YouTube (plus most other sites that force commercials prior to getting to an actual vid) Usually can skip ad, if not I mute it and open another window
Old 07-27-15, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
- public TV
- sports
- background noise
- news
- special events (Oscars, Grammys, CMAs, etc)
- at the movie theater
- streaming (Hulu, network channel streaming, etc)
- Late show/talk TV (Tonight Show, SNL, etc)
- YouTube (plus most other sites that force commercials prior to getting to an actual vid)

Given all the examples above and many more not listed I find it hard to believe someone could claim they HAVEN'T seen a commercial in years.

Companies have done a damn good job of forcing commercials on us despite the advent of DVRs.
They're in elevators now. Maybe you didn't pay attention but it would be impossible to never see one.
Old 07-27-15, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Fun fact : They have to list all potential side effects on any commercial where they tell you what the medicine is supposed to do (all those potential side effects are also listed in that tiny folded up piece of paper that comes with your medicine that you likely just throw away). The asthma medication Advair Discus tried to circumvent this with a consumer ad that just showed a seat cushion re-expanding after someone got up from the sofa. Clever, but probably not 100% Kosher either. It was quickly pulled and I can't find a video clip of it online.

Fun fact #2 : Thanks to good ol' Sen Oren Hatch of Utah (the #1 state in the production of vitamin supplements), vitamins and supplements are completely exempt from any sort of labeling or advertising rules and can make just about any claim without any supporting evidence or listing any potential side effects at all. No wonder the supplement market is booming!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dH61x9bkMc
Old 07-27-15, 08:58 PM
Suspended

Fun fact #3: Gender double standard is alive and well. Had it been three old grumpy men instead of women making the same comments they made toward the VW salesperson, we would have had an uproar of sexual harassment. Thank god it's just three old ladies and it's totally just fun and grins.
Old 07-27-15, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I see Tony Romo has taken over for Rob Lowe on the DirecTV commercials. They are nowhere near as funny though.

Holy crap, the Eli Manning one is even worse.

Last edited by Traxan; 07-27-15 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-28-15, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by SuperJim88
Fun fact #3: Gender double standard is alive and well. Had it been three old grumpy men instead of women making the same comments they made toward the VW salesperson, we would have had an uproar of sexual harassment. Thank god it's just three old ladies and it's totally just fun and grins.
True but they are kind of funny. "What type of car you like? new or one with maaany miles on it" She says that so well.
Old 07-28-15, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperJim88
I think if they went with 3 really old guys making like they were trying to be young, it would fly. But even 60's would be too young. Late 70's early 80's would be funny. And the girl would have to be mid 30's or 40. Twenties would be creepy
Old 07-28-15, 09:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi I'm William Devane
Old 07-28-15, 11:39 AM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I know, I don't think it is enough. They list them in that rambling monotone that your mind completely tunes out.
I always think of this bit from Steve Martin's Pure Drivel audiobook:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PDtk0O4hMfA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-28-15, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate the Jimmy John's commercials with the old guy calling for his order, the delivery person shows up right away, and the old guy says "What took you so long?". I've dealt with people like him at various jobs and always wanted to smack them upside the head for having so little paitence.
Old 07-30-15, 08:37 PM

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

Those Liberty Mutual ads have been source of constant rage. The ones with the people bitching about how they got into accident and their rates went up.
Old 07-31-15, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JktGn6C1hRQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't hate this ad, but god that animation makes it so fucking weird
Old 07-31-15, 11:04 AM
Banned

I don't know if they've been mentioned but I gotta add the stupid Buddy Holly ad and the one with that fat ugly **** fist-pounding the air in silence.
Old 07-31-15, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

The Arby's we have the meats commercials make my blood boil.
Old 07-31-15, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

The one for the online travel agency or whatever where the dog barks "Book! Book!"
Old 07-31-15, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EctoCooler
I don't know if they've been mentioned but I gotta add the stupid Buddy Holly ad
I started reading this thread a few days ago but decided to add this one because it just came on - the stoopid family driving in the car singing the awful Weezer song makes me want to punch the dad driving the car in the throat every time. Plus that annoying little girl in the backseat. Someone, please just turn on the fucking radio!! (That can be a good countermeasure to use in the car when someone thinks everyone wants to hear them sing a-capella - but it can also backfire because often they don't miss a beat and just immediately start singing along with whatever song is on the radio)

There's just no friendly way to tell someone they're about as tone-deaf as a piece of lint.
Old 07-31-15, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And it makes me somehow sad that the Incredible Alex Trebek now pushes funeral expenses insurance.
Old 08-01-15, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by mersaulte
And it makes me somehow sad that the Incredible Alex Trebek now pushes funeral expenses insurance.
Actually I think he has been doing the insurance commercials since before he was the host of Jeopardy. Could be wrong but think so.
Old 08-01-15, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

[QUOTE=Double_Oh_7;12545448]Those new Yoplait spots with the French woman are the worst.[/B]

The first time I saw this I said to my wife "was that a clip from a Bjork music video?"

Originally Posted by sportsfan64
The "I'm in the Buick" with the girl who doesn't know what a Buick looks like, and Ford's "Everybody Talks" song commercials are run at least 500 times a day. On every channel. At least that's what it seems like.
Yeah, this one needs to come to an end. This commercial give my mute button a workout.

The one I haven't seen mentioned is the McDonald's one where they are using props to stage the bowling picture. I don't understand the purpose of the commercial at all. Plus the girl in the video looks like she skinned an 80's arcade floor to make her outfit.
Old 08-02-15, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

I would not be upset if this one ended with a tractor trailer hitting them head on:

(Waiting for the inevitable "What did we ever do to these guys?" reply.)
Old 08-02-15, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadman31
The Arby's we have the meats commercials make my blood boil.
Yeah, I like Ving Rhames a lot and enjoy Arby's in general but I don't like their commercials either. I don't find them funny and the catch phrase is dumb.

I still hate the Progressive commercials starring Flo.
Old 08-02-15, 11:27 AM

Anything involving Peckers or Politicians.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.