Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S5E04) -- "Sons of the Harpy" -- 5/3/15

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-15, 12:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S5E04) -- "Sons of the Harpy" -- 5/3/15

Originally Posted by MikahC
And Oberyn won't. Oberyn would have lived (or died) by the rules of combat he signed up for. Oberyn's brother tried to point this out to Oberyn's wife, but she's not having it. She's hell bent on vengeance.
Yeah, she's not acting on what Oberyn would have done, she's going scorched earth now for revenge.

And his daughters will follow her lead to get whatever amount of justice they can.
Old 05-05-15, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Oberyn died in trial by combat, so it's not considered murder.

However, I can kind of see her point in that the Lannisters are assholes, and if they weren't, he wouldn't have agreed to be Tyrion's champion in the first place.
Old 05-05-15, 01:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777

However, I can kind of see her point in that the Lannisters are assholes, and if they weren't, he wouldn't have agreed to be Tyrion's champion in the first place.
On the plus side, his death somewhat led to the death of Tywin. I think Oberyn would have been cool with that.
Old 05-05-15, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S5E04) --http://vignette1.wikia.no "Sons of the Harpy" -- 5/3/15

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
Jamie went from being the best swordsmen in the land (right handed) to being useless left-handed? He should be better.

"I concur."
Old 05-05-15, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S5E04) --http://vignette1.wikia.no "Sons of the Harpy" -- 5/3/15

Originally Posted by B.A.

"I concur."
I absolutely was thinking of this.
Old 05-05-15, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
A sword probably wouldn't work well due to his lack of wrist movement, but maybe a short knife attachment would work with the hand that he can use in combination with a sword in his left hand. Or perhaps a shield that he could attachment to his right forearm and fake hand would be useful too.
What I got out of the books was that Jaime is pretty self conscious about this hand being chopped off as well so I think the hand in a minor way doesn't draw attention to the fact that it's missing. So I don't think he would want to attach a shield or sword to it.

I know rationally thinking about it, it would make sense to do it but I feel like it's a character flaw being pointed out. Just my thought at least.
Old 05-05-15, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Lifepawn
On the plus side, his death somewhat led to the death of Tywin. I think Oberyn would have been cool with that.
True. And the Mountain seems like he's been turned into a Frankenstein Monster Zombie thing, which may turn out to be worse than dying. In a certain way, Oberyn did ultimately get revenge on Tywin and the Mountain for his dead sister Elia, so it was kind of a pyrrhic victory for him.
Old 05-05-15, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

True. And the Mountain seems like he's been turned into a Frankenstein Monster Zombie thing, which may turn out to be worse than dying. In a certain way, Oberyn did ultimately get revenge on Tywin and the Mountain for his dead sister Elia, so it was kind of a pyrrhic victory for him.
And he did get the Mountain to admit he did it, though Oberyn might have been too preoccupied at the time to hear it.
Old 05-05-15, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And he did get the Mountain to admit he did it, though Oberyn might have been too preoccupied at the time to hear it.
I remember some Pedro Pascal interview last year where he said something to the effect that Oberyn's screaming at the end of the fight may have just been cries of happiness at finally hearing the Mountain's confession.

Old 05-05-15, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Not only that, but thw whole reason Oberyn was killed was because he was showboating instead of killing the Mountain. He could have sawed the son of a bitch's head off, but instead he stood there grandstanding.
Old 05-05-15, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
The Unsullied are lifelong trained fighters. There's no way they would have been taken down so easily like that by untrained slaves. That made no sense whatsoever.
Like how the greatest military in the world could not be defeated by some poor resource-deprived guerillas? Ever heard of Vietnam?

The Unsullied are trained for open combat on the battlefield, not close quarter urban fighting and ambush style attacks. Fighting with spears against knives in such a setting would be a hindrance, not an advantage.
Old 05-06-15, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Like how the greatest military in the world could not be defeated by some poor resource-deprived guerillas? Ever heard of Vietnam?

The Unsullied are trained for open combat on the battlefield, not close quarter urban fighting and ambush style attacks. Fighting with spears against knives in such a setting would be a hindrance, not an advantage.
Don't bring a spear to a knife fight?
Old 05-06-15, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Not only that, but thw whole reason Oberyn was killed was because he was showboating instead of killing the Mountain. He could have sawed the son of a bitch's head off, but instead he stood there grandstanding.
Showboating for the girl, besides.
Old 05-06-15, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been rewatching GOT Season 4 and I forgot that, last season, there was a bath scene in which Melisandre insisted to Selyse that Shireen must sail with Stannis' army to the North. She even showed Selyse a vision in a fire (although what they see in it isn't described to us) and said "When we set sail, your daughter must be with us. The lord needs her."

Uh-oh.
Old 05-06-15, 10:29 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Except that the quarters weren't that close. And a spear's reach can keep a knife at bay every time if you have enough elbow room (Grey Worm didn't seem to have a problem...he was just overwhelmed by sheer numbers). As in boxing, it's often the reach that counts (see: Mayweather/Pacquio).

True. And the Mountain seems like he's been turned into a Frankenstein Monster Zombie thing, which may turn out to be worse than dying.
Really? I'd think the Mountain would love the idea.
Old 05-06-15, 10:52 AM
Banned

In the book Clegane's screams of pain from Oberyn's "black magic" poison were so loud they frightened many in KL, kept them up at night. Wish they somewhat kept that on the show.
Old 05-06-15, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Unless I completely missed something, this is a bit of a book spoiler, as there's been nothing to point at the Mountain being "turned into" anything. (And yes, I saw the scene with the body, but I don't recall any mention of that being Clegane.)
Old 05-06-15, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by argh923
Unless I completely missed something, this is a bit of a book spoiler, as there's been nothing to point at the Mountain being "turned into" anything. (And yes, I saw the scene with the body, but I don't recall any mention of that being Clegane.)
I kinda feel like it was hinted at last season. Maybe I'm making that up.
Old 05-06-15, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The body on Qyburn's table was clearly shown to be the Mountain in the Season 4 finale, so not a spoiler at all. ( in this Season 4 scene )
Old 05-06-15, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Season 4.10 Pycelle said there was no way to save The Mountain from the poison. Qyburn said he could but that the process would... change him.
Old 05-06-15, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good call, folks. I stand corrected - forgot about that scene. My bad!
Old 05-06-15, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I've been rewatching GOT Season 4 and I forgot that, last season, there was a bath scene in which Melisandre insisted to Selyse that Shireen must sail with Stannis' army to the North. She even showed Selyse a vision in a fire (although what they see in it isn't described to us) and said "When we set sail, your daughter must be with us. The lord needs her."

Uh-oh.
I think they are trying to make you think that they will sacrifice Shireen but I think it is misdirection. The book hints she has an extremely important role to play.
Old 05-06-15, 12:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

As someone who has not read the books I don't feel anything was spoiled for me here. At this point I'm wondering if The Mountain will have bright blue eyes when he comes back (no spoilers either way please).
Old 05-06-15, 12:34 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
The book hints...
looks like it's time to bail on this thread. made it a whole 4 pages this time.
Old 05-06-15, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

....there haven't been ANY book spoilers here.

I mean, I thought there was one, but I was proven wrong.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.