Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Messengers (CW) - Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-15, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Messengers (CW) - Series Discussion Thread

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4N_PrYpRCLU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tonight is pilot
Old 04-17-15, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
Re: the messengers (cw)

Darn forgot. Guess no re-air.

Btw could you use capital letters at least in thread titles.
Old 04-17-15, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I forgot about this as well and watched Bitten and Lost Girl. Will know next week since both of those air again immediately after.
Old 04-18-15, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Just wondering Tucker, is your shift key broken?

Old 04-18-15, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

This is what you get for making threads on your IPhone

I may check out at least 1 episode. Recorded it tonight out of curiosity and I like Shantel VanSanten. But, I doubt this will draw much attention. Premiering in Mid April and on a Friday is pretty much a sign this is being burned off.
Old 04-18-15, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

IMO they introduced way too many characters for a 1 hour pilot.
They tried to hit the ground running on 6 different store lines at the same time. So as soon as anyone started to do something interesting, they cut away to someone else.

Oh the military is.... never mind.. Oh so his wife..... never mind.. then repeat in some way for pretty much every story line times six different people. This was made even worse by having all sorts of random time filler stuff that did not move the story along at all.

they cut away from Shantel VanSanten talking to the military or even looking around a very prime location for the story.... so they could spend a few min on some kid walking around a party or a guy crossing a river then changing his shirt and so on..

it's like one editor was chopping scenes down to the bone time wise while a different editor was adding back in a bunch of random fluff. ..

store wise.... I'm not even sure it's fair to say if it's good or bad yet being nothing really happens in the pilot.. We get introductions and what looks like angel wings in the reflections of some people. That's about it.
Old 04-18-15, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hadn't heard of this but the trailer look intriguing. It implies that the man from the crater is the threat, but I'm thinking/hoping that he's some kind of badass archangel sent to lead them.
Old 04-18-15, 10:34 AM

I got the impression that he was satan. The preacher guy said something about fighting the devil when he was ranting about being a messenger of God.
Old 04-18-15, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts
Re: The Messengers (CW) - Series Discussion Thread

At first I wondered if this was a "pick-up" from another region, since I didn't see one recognizable name in the cast or crew. It was definitely a very "random" pilot in terms of its story, -it had the feel of a two-hour pilot chopped in half, since there really wasn't a "punch-line" to the episode. By that, I mean that there was no one strong, fully-realized plot-line to follow to the next episode. I'll just have to go to the next episode on faith.
Old 04-18-15, 05:23 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

No Jews (Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, etc) need apply for this show. So much for CW's diversity.
Old 04-18-15, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I started watching it with no idea what it was about. At first, I was like "oh cool, some new CW sci-fi show". Then when I realized it was about angels and the devil, I kind of lost interest.

I also agree the pilot had too much whiplash going on back and forth with all the characters. I'll check it out next week, but I'm not thinking it's going on my watch list.
Old 04-18-15, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Is the Devil from Canada? The actor was hiding an accent of some kind, possibly European. After the feedback here I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised by this pilot.

It did start off somewhat ragged, they should have just opened with the meteor shot. Except for the cartoonish father of the preacher, the characters were decent. I will give this show a shot, though it does feel like the CW is dumping this show as quietly as possible on Friday and hoping it dies.
Old 04-18-15, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mysteryfan
I got the impression that he was satan. The preacher guy said something about fighting the devil when he was ranting about being a messenger of God.
Yeah, they made it more clear in the episode. I was just talking about the trailer and hoping it was a bit of misdirection.

Does anyone know how many episodes this is?

Last edited by wmansir; 04-18-15 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-19-15, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Devil is from Portugal, not Canada. It's the same actor that played Jesus in The Bible mini-series, I didn't recognize him at all from it. It must have been a rough couple of years for him since that aired.

The scuttlebutt is the CW hopes this dies a quiet death. They've already renewed so many shows it's hard to see how a second season of this show would fit their schedule next year.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 04-19-15 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-19-15, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The Devil is from Portugal, not Canada. It's the same actor that played Jesus in The Bible mini-series, I didn't recognize him at all from it. It must have been a rough couple of years for him since that aired.

The scuttlebutt is the CW is hoping this dies a quiet death. They've already renewed so many shows it's hard to see how a second season of this show would fit their schedule next year.
I mentioned her name earlier in this thread, but Shantel VanSanten, the lead of this series, is probably the best known actor. She was on the FOX summer series last year Gang Related and has a long run on One Tree Hill on The CW for several years.

She's not exactly a star, but she is a working & relatively known actor.

No way this gets renewed, The CW renewed practically all of their veteran shows from this season and they need to make room for the Atom spinoff, iZombie, which is doing decent enough for a 2nd season and at least 2 or 3 new shows for next season.
Old 04-19-15, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It was iZombie that supposedly killed this show's chances. The CW has thrown their entire weight behind it over The Messengers.
Old 04-20-15, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The scuttlebutt is the CW hopes this dies a quiet death.
This kind of show rarely gets good ratings so it will probably not be renewed, but why on earth would you hope your investment in it will not be returned?
Old 04-20-15, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The CW only has ten hours of primetime to fill per week. The Messengers was apparently a back-up plan if iZombie bombed and turned out terrible.

One thing I did like about this series is that it appears set in Houston.
Old 04-25-15, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

With the second episode the more they revealed about the premise the less interested I became.
Old 04-27-15, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wmansir
With the second episode the more they revealed about the premise the less interested I became.
I don't mind the direction they are taking, this is apparently a very literal apocalypse happening. This isn't the new age apocalypse we regularly get on Supernatural.

A more menacing actor should have been cast as the Devil. That is the one thing I would have changed so far.
Old 05-02-15, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Having seen all three episodes, I am actually starting to like The Messengers. You can tell it was originally meant as a replacement for Supernatural. Human angels with superpowers fight the Devil and attempt to stop the Apocalypse.
Old 05-03-15, 10:06 PM
Banned

They wussed out. I was thinking, oh cool, they gave that girl Kitty Pride phase powers, but they gave her lame astral projection powers instead.
Old 05-07-15, 11:14 PM
Banned

http://tvline.com/2015/05/07/the-mes...d-cw-season-2/

As if there were any doubt. Cancelled.