Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Marvel's Daredevil (Netflix) - Season 1 Discussion Thread - Premieres 4/10/15

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-15, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Marvel's Daredevil (Netflix) - Season 1 Thread - Premieres 4/10/15

Although I blew through the series last weekend, already looking at the calendar to schedule watching it again. I rarely rewatch shows, but man, Daredevil was good.
Old 04-18-15, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
To follow up this meditation conversation a few pages ago regarding Murdock;

They do indeed specifically show him meditating in the middle of his living room (and if I recall, he is flashing back in his mind to his fight with nobu), and he specifically tells claire that meditation helps his healing.
Yeah, I mentioned that I recalled a scene where they show him meditating. Damn people not paying attention!
Old 04-18-15, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Has anyone done is Fisk/Thor/Adventures-In-Babysitting Multiverse connection yet?
Old 04-18-15, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir
One supersense moment I thought they messed up was that he apparently didn't smell the gunpowder residue on Karen. I know she showered, but if he's telling Foggy what he had for lunch 2 days ago I would think he could still detect gunpowder residue after a shower. Maybe he did detect it and just kept quiet, but he knows something is wrong and if he suspected it involved gunfire around her then it's difficult to imagine he wouldn't push harder on the issue.
Yeah something seemed off to me about him not noticing anything suspicious about Karen, and you hit the nail on the head, gunshot residue probably should have been detected. He did say that her voice had changed lately, so he had some clue something was off.
Old 04-18-15, 05:45 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If she took a shower and wasn't wearing the same thing, she should be fine. Looking online about GSR, seems like it's easy take off your skin.
Old 04-18-15, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 209 Posts

It's also easy to get the taste of food you ate from two days ago out of your mouth, but he can detect that with Foggy.
Old 04-18-15, 06:23 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
It's also easy to get the taste of food you ate from two days ago out of your mouth, but he can detect that with Foggy.
Maybe Foggy doesn't brush his teeth.
Old 04-18-15, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 634 Likes on 488 Posts

As much as I loved this show, I really hated Karen Page. As the show progressed, she grew even more obnoxious. I hated that
Spoiler:
Ben Urich died instead of her (though I suppose Bullseye will likely make up for that in season 2)
and lump her alongside Iris West from The Flash and Laurel Lance from Arrow.
Old 04-18-15, 06:38 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no way Karen Page is anywhere close to being as annoying as Laurel Lance. The Laurel actress is the worst actress in Hollywood. I want to punch the wall every time she is on screen.
Old 04-18-15, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It wasn't her (Karen's) acting that was the problem. The character was an obnoxious ass. And even if Laurel had a better actress in the role, the character would still be horrid. Karen, Laurel, and Iris are written terribly.
Old 04-18-15, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RocShemp
As much as I loved this show, I really hated Karen Page. As the show progressed, she grew even more obnoxious. I hated that
Spoiler:
Ben Urich died instead of her (though I suppose Bullseye will likely make up for that in season 2)
and lump her alongside Iris West from The Flash and Laurel Lance from Arrow.
Karen was getting there for me, but mainly because some of her scenes were so long...or could be they just felt long.
Spoiler:
I'm a little disappointed Ben won't be coming back for future seasons. I thought he was a great character.

One thing that started to bug me more as the series went on was Foggy's hair. I hope he gets a haircut for season 2.
Old 04-18-15, 08:51 PM
Banned

Karen Page is a lot better than Iris West. West is the new stupid Lois Lane. Add in that the show has crap writing.
Old 04-18-15, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nth Power
Spoiler:
I'm a little disappointed Ben won't be coming back for future seasons. I thought he was a great character.
Spoiler:
What's worse is that they teased us with his story arc from the comics, where he did start his own blog which evolved into a legitimate news site and eventually he published his own newspaper based on the site.

Also, now that Marvel has the rights to Spider-Man, I was really hoping to see him interact with Peter Parker and J, Jonah Jameson.

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Karen Page is a lot better than Iris West. West is the new stupid Lois Lane. Add in that the show has crap writing.
Really? Both are whiny bitches and super obnoxious know-it-alls that only think of the consequences for themselves.
Spoiler:
Hell, Karen put Ben in the precise situation that got him killed when she tricked him into visiting Fisk's mother. His wife may have been right that Ben wouldn't truly give up on the story but he would have done it intelligently. Especially knowing the type of man they were dealing with.
Man do I hate Karen!

And you really need to get the stick out of your ass regarding The Flash. Yes, many of his "problems" can be resolved easily but that issue dates back to the comics (and still happens in them). However, the show sidesteps this by having Barry being new at being the Flash. He's still a kid and is still used to thinking like a non-Speedster would. For us it's different because we've had years of knowing what Flash is capable to the point that we can immediately think of exactly how to handle any given situation if we had his powers. In his world, he doesn't even have the benefit of comic books or cartoons relating to Speedsters. This is like how in most zombie movies no one has ever heard of zombies.
Old 04-19-15, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I loved Karen. Unlike a lot of other shows I bought her character motivation and I even though I was frustrated at times with her tenacity I understood where she was coming from and I never thought she was stupid, just naive at times. I definitely can't say the same for Iris on Flash.
Old 04-19-15, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 450 Likes on 315 Posts

I love Karen on the show (mostly due to the adorable actress), but can't stand her in the comics, mostly because she's been the downfall of Matt Murdock on more than a few occasions.
Old 04-19-15, 06:34 AM
Banned

YES. Yeah, she was a pain in the comics. Her highlight for the positive was that she was start of the fire that was Born Again but I have never been able to stand her aside from her junkie return in BA. I just went to a store and they had the one where she had Aids. Goddamn that thing is horrible to read. Keeps getting worse and worse every time I see it.
Old 04-19-15, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

She didn't actually get AIDS, a villain tricked her into thinking she did in an attempt to drive Matt crazy.
Old 04-19-15, 08:32 AM
Banned

Yeah. And then Mysterio was in there. And *sigh* poor DD. He's a character that has a lot of mediocre/bad periods. Love Miller, Bendis, and Brubaker. I'm not sure I like Nocenti's run. I do and I don't. I've always been weird on that one. I also didn't jive w/ Romita Jr's art at that time. Have LOVED his work since his JMS run on Amazing.
Old 04-19-15, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 450 Likes on 315 Posts

That AIDS/Mysterio storyline was by Kevin Smith - 'nuff said!
Old 04-19-15, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101
I love Karen on the show (mostly due to the adorable actress), but can't stand her in the comics, mostly because she's been the downfall of Matt Murdock on more than a few occasions.
The actress is cute. However, that did not help me ignore how obnoxious the character was. I really wanted her dead and hope I get my wish in season 2.
Old 04-19-15, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Yeah. And then Mysterio was in there. And *sigh* poor DD. He's a character that has a lot of mediocre/bad periods. Love Miller, Bendis, and Brubaker. I'm not sure I like Nocenti's run. I do and I don't. I've always been weird on that one. I also didn't jive w/ Romita Jr's art at that time. Have LOVED his work since his JMS run on Amazing.
The Netflix series started me thinking about Daredevil's Comics history and I just couldn't remember what happened between Miller's classic run and Bendis's equally great run, so I looked it up in Wikipedia. Y'know, nothing makes Comics seem more ridiculous when you see several decades of storylines boiled down into synopsis form. I had completely forgotten the Nocenti period, which I pretty much hated. Kevin Smith's brief run started me back with the character, and as I said, I was constantly surprised and impressed with how far Bendis took the character. In fact, I just never could get into Brubaker's follow-up and just found it a bit of a dull echo of what had come before. I gave Mark Waid's more recent "lighter" version a try, but I just couldn't get excited by Samnee's art, -not enough to keep buying it, anyway.
Old 04-19-15, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Saw this the other day regarding daredevil and mysterio... Just how would mysterio attack DD?

Old 04-20-15, 04:28 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just finished the series !

Started off fairly slow but got better ever episode

First off, i gotta say the audio mix was good, plenty of bass

At first i had my doubts about d'onofrio as Kingpin because he didn't look big enough but he proved me wrong. They did a great job showing the Kingpin's power in unarmed combat with great use of camera angles. Loved the sumo charge, the kingpin was a sumo expert in the comics.

The actress who played Vanessa was great and her relationship with Fisk was believable and true to what i remember in the comics.

Highlights were for me

Anything and everything STICK ! great character, Scott Glenn did a great job

Karen shooting Wesley

Matt's Parkour on the rooftop

Madame Gao was a great character

Gladiator was cool

Fisk bashing the russian's head in with the car door

WORLD TAKE NOTE ! SUPERHERO TV SHOW AND MOVIES NEED TO BE R RATED ! Violence is real in them. when you get superpowered beings doing their thing, people die and die easily !

BRing on Season 2 !
Old 04-20-15, 04:46 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

and.................................... Stiltman !
Old 04-20-15, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond

WORLD TAKE NOTE ! SUPERHERO TV SHOW AND MOVIES NEED TO BE R RATED ! Violence is real in them. when you get superpowered beings doing their thing, people die and die easily !

BRing on Season 2 !
That's silly. There's no reason a character like Spider-Man needs to be R. Standard superhero violence wasn't very extreme for decades. Most of these characters started out intended for people in middle school and below.

Do people who want their superheroes adults only also want to see Minnie and Mickey fucking?

But this level of violence does work well for Daredevil.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.