Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief (HBO documentary)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief (HBO documentary)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-15, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief (HBO documentary)

Scientology Head David Miscavige
P.I.s Say They Stalked His Dad
Said 'Let Him Die'

A private investigator was arrested with an arsenal of weapons ... he says while he and his son were mercilessly harassing Scientology leader David Miscavige's father, and at one point when it appeared David's dad was having a heart attack the P.I.'s say David told them to just "let him die."

The claims are absolutely shocking. P.I. Dwayne Powell and his son Daniel were on a job in West Allis, Wisconsin in 2013, where Ronald Miscavige lived with his wife. Dwayne says he was surveilling Ronald Miscavige for a year and a half on orders of the Church. Dwayne says the Church was worried Ronald -- who left Scientology -- would "divulge details about the churches activities."

Dwayne says he and his son were paid $10,000 a week to tail Ronald, and harass him. They would search his garbage, sit next to Ronald when he went to restaurants, stand behind him when Ron went to the library to check his emails so they could view the screen, and on and on.

According to the police report, obtained by TMZ, Dwayne said on one occasion "Ron was loading his purchases into his car and slumped over while grasping his chest." Dwayne and his son thought Ron was having a heart attack so they called their Church contact. Dwayne says 2 minutes later he got a call from a man who identified himself as David Miscavige. The police report says Dwayne recounted that David told him, "If it was Ron's time to die, to let him die and not intervene in any way."

Dwayne was arrested in July, 2013, after witnesses reported he was acting suspiciously. When cops searched his car, they found an arsenal of loaded weapons, including a silencer and hundreds of rounds of ammo.

David Miscavige's lawyer told the L.A. Times, which broke the story, that David did not know Dwayne Powell, hasn't heard of him, hasn't spoken with him and was never hired by him.

The L.A. Times says Dwayne Powell was indicted last year on possessing an illegal silencer, but the indictment was dismissed and he was allowed to enter a pre-trial diversion program.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2015/04/08/david-...#ixzz3WmlXQ8Ng
Old 04-09-15, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Always remember the Simpsons episode where Homer started up his own internet company, then Bill Gates came in to "buy him out". Homer thought he struck gold, but then Bill Gates just destroyed all Homer's computers. He said "I didn't get this rich by WRITING checks"
<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/70498601" width="500" height="376" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

Simpsons Bill Gates 2 from Ben Swanson on Vimeo.

Old 01-05-16, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Just finished watching this. It was more terrifying than most horror movies. Its fucking insane that in 2016, something like this can still exist.
Old 01-05-16, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
Just finished watching this. It was more terrifying than most horror movies. Its fucking insane that in 2016, something like this can still exist.
I would say that about every religion.
Old 01-05-16, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Old 01-09-16, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quite liked it. It's interesting to watch as someone from the UK where it's no where as big as it is with you.
The footage of those huge meetings was quite something. I kept laughing to myself when they would show the video of Cruise shaking hands with their leader and it would just keep going on and on and they kept saying Thank You to each other. Just felt awkward.

Also worried by their pseudo US Navy attire.