Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

2015 Pilot Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-15, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Pilot Discussion Thread

I just came across this article from Yahoo about 12 most exciting pilots. Some of these do interest me. I figured that there could be a thread here, to discuss pilots and different articles about pilots on broadcast and cable networks. Feel free to post links to articles.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/tv-pilots-2...366973020.html

The 12 Most Exciting Pilots for Fall 2015
Yahoo TV StaffMarch 11, 2015

We may not be through with the current TV season yet, but now that the networks’ pilot season is in full swing, it’s hard to not start thinking about what we’ll be watching (or avoiding) next fall and winter. The Yahoo TV staff pored over the full list of in-the-works pilots and picked the shows we’re most excited about. Like you, we haven’t seen a frame of footage yet, so we’re going purely by each show’s logline, cast and the talent behind the camera. Check back in September to see if we made the right picks.

Angel From Hell (CBS, comedy)

The 12 Most Exciting Pilots for Fall 2015

Glee star Jane Lynch is at her best when she has plenty of bite (and a bit of hidden heart), which is exactly what you’d expect from her in the titular role. From Tad Quill (Bent, Samantha Who?), the story begins with Amy (Lynch) entering a woman’s life claiming to be her guardian angel. They form an unlikely friendship, but is Amy telling the truth or is she just nuts? Either way, it’s a win-win. — Mindy Bierly

Dead People (The CW, drama)

It’s a fresh take for the network known for combining the supernatural and romance: A down-and-out, semi-alcoholic but still roguishly charming cab driver (The Walking Dead's Gareth, Andrew J. West) has a near-death experience and acquires the ability to interact with ghosts — including his late ex-wife (The Lying Game's Alexandra Chando) for whom he still pined. A cab driver can meet tons of interesting characters, which Californication's Tom Kapinos, who's penning this pilot as well as Lucifer, is no stranger to. — MB

Family of the Year (ABC, comedy)

Between Blackish and Fresh Off the Boat, ABC seems to have cracked the code for expanding the diversity of their family sitcoms without losing the funny. So it feels as if the life story of out-and-proud sex columnist, author and activist Dan Savage is in good hands. The fictionalized series will revolve around a young kid (Noah Galvin) who comes out to his parents (Jay R. Ferguson and Martha Plimpton) and hilarity presumably ensues. The series almost certainly won’t be as R-rated as one of Savage’s columns, but even a PG-13 version should be pretty funny. — Ethan Alter

For Justice (CBS, drama)

Hoo boy, this sounds promising: Selma director Ana DuVernay is signed to direct the pilot starring Phylicia Rashad and Anika Noni Rose (so good in The Good Wife). Rose plays an agent working in the FBI’s Civil Rights Division; she comes from a family with roots in radical political movements. It’s based on James Patterson’s first novel, The Thomas Berryman Number, a much more literary effort than his subsequent bestsellers. — Ken Tucker

Go Jerrod Go (NBC, comedy)

We don’t put much stock in the generic “inspired by his life and relationships” premise, but we do put a lot of stock in Jerrod Carmichael. He’s one of the fastest rising stars in stand-up comedy today, armed with wry, deadpan observations about the financially strapped, technology-dependent world we live in. (Check out his HBO special Love at the Store, if you haven’t already.) His low-key delivery reminds us of a young Dave Chappelle — which obviously is a high compliment. So we’re willing to take a leap of faith here and see what he’s able to do to break the sitcom mold. — Dave Nemetz

The King of 7B (ABC, comedy)

It’s about an agoraphobic who ventures outside for the first time in years when he sees someone he thinks may be the love of his life. With a premise like that, this sitcom could go anywhere, but it’s likely to head in a smart direction, given the people involved: star Craig Ferguson, showrunner Ben Karlin (The Daily Show, Modern Family), with a pilot directed by David Frankel, who’s been involved with everything from Entourage to Band of Brothers. — KT

L.A. Crime (ABC, drama)

Crime stories and Los Angeles go together like “Sunset” and “Boulevard,” so the idea of an anthology series that chronicles different crimes and eras from the City of Angels’ long, sordid history is catnip for pulp fiction fans. The first season, for example, will apparently transport viewers back to L.A.’s big-haired ‘80s heyday as a pair of cops pursues a Bonnie & Clyde team of killers through day-glo nightclubs scored to Wang Chung. I’m rooting for Season 2 to be a murder mystery set during ye old Gold Rush days. — EA

Lucifer (Fox, drama)

It’s got the comic book appeal of Gotham and sounds simpler than Sleepy Hollow. Lucifer (Rush's Tom Ellis) becomes bored with his role as the Lord of Hell and heads to Los Angeles where he can entertain himself helping the LAPD punish criminals and by simultaneously repulsing and fascinating homicide detective Chloe Dancer (Chicago Fire's Lauren German). With a pilot written by Californication's Kapinos and directed by Len Wiseman, it should be sexy and action-packed. — MB

Scream Queens (Fox, comedy)

We confess to being a little confused by this latest Ryan Murphy offering: It’s a horror anthology series that’s set on a college campus that’s been terrorized by a series of murders… but it’s being billed as a comedy? The cast does look stellar, though: Jamie Lee Curtis returns to her horror roots, along with Emma Roberts, Lea Michele, Ariana Grande, Keke Palmer, Joe Manganiello, and SNL alum Nasim Pedrad. Plus, it’s a Ryan Murphy show, so at least you know the first season will be strong. — DN

Sneaky Pete (CBS, drama)

The elements for greatness are certainly here: Breaking Bad star Bryan Cranston co-created the show with House mastermind David Shore, and Giovanni Ribisi stars as a con man who gets out of jail and starts fresh by assuming the identity of his cellmate. We’re intrigued by the Mad Men-esque premise, and Ribisi’s an underrated actor who could knock this role out of the park. (He even looks like a “Sneaky Pete,” doesn’t he?) — DN

Supergirl (CBS, drama)

Who’s not curious about this? Producer Greg Berlanti, who’s developed a golden touch in bringing superheroes to TV (The Flash, Arrow), takes on the tricky business of introducing mass America to Supergirl, who has one of the more knotty mythologies in comic books. Melissa Benoist is our hero, Laura Benanti (Nashville) is her Kryptonian mother, Calista Flockhart is her Earth boss. Listen to me, Berlanti: You’d better make room for Streaky, Supergirl’s super-cat. — KT

Tales From the Darkside (The CW, drama)

Some of my earliest memories of scaring myself silly (and loving it) involve sneaking episodes of this creepy anthology horror series and its accompanying 1990 feature film on the sly. It’s a brand name that merits a revival, especially with Joe Hill — son of Stephen King and a fine master of the macabre in his own right — onboard as a writer and executive producer. With any luck, my own kids will become the second generation to take sneak trips to the Darkside and encounter its various ghosts, ghouls, and goblins.
Old 03-13-15, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Re: 2015 Pilot Discussion Thread

http://deadline.com/2014/09/supergir...-adler-836682/

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-series-734268

Supergirl was already picked up to series back in September before they even cast anyone. It's already guaranteed to air this Fall.

I heard that Scream Queens on FOX is pretty much a lock for Fall as well.
Old 03-13-15, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://deadline.com/2014/09/supergir...-adler-836682/

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-series-734268

Supergirl was already picked up to series back in September before they even cast anyone. It's already guaranteed to air this Fall.

I heard that Scream Queens on FOX is pretty much a lock for Fall as well.
Yup, heard the same thing about Scream Queens. FOX is already starting teasers.
Old 03-13-15, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

http://deadline.com/2015/02/sullivan...ot-1201376166/

"Blindspot" was greenlit to Pilot on NBC a month ago. It stars Sullivan Stapleton from Strike Back and Jaimie Alexander from Thor as the leads.

Also, Wesley Snipes and Philip Winchester are starring in another Pilot for NBC called "Endgame" It's from the creator of Leverage.

http://deadline.com/2015/02/wesley-s...ot-1201378160/

NBC's new dramas from this past season were mostly terrible and did terrible in the ratings. I think there is a good shot that both of these could get picked up. Stapleton and Winchester have a good fanbase and Snipes is a name actor.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-13-15 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-13-15, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://deadline.com/2015/02/sullivan...ot-1201376166/

"Blindspot" was greenlit to Pilot on NBC a month ago. It stars Sullivan Stapleton from Strike Back and Jaimie Alexander from Thor as the leads.

Also, Wesley Snipes and Philip Winchester are starring in another Pilot for NBC called "Endgame" It's from the creator of Leverage.

NBC's new dramas from this past season were mostly terrible and did terrible in the ratings. I think there is a good shot that both of these could get picked up. Stapleton and Winchester have a good fanbase and Snipes is a name actor.
Blindspot sounds like Memento with a female lead.
Old 05-06-15, 05:50 PM

Article on the pilots NBC has picked up

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/nbc-chicago...884498990.html

Chicago Med wasn't a surprise. The only that sounds interesting is Blindspot
Old 05-06-15, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Are all those listed in the Scream Queens cast regulars? I realize Grande is coming from Nick TV, but her singing career and profile have taken off, and add in Emma Roberts, Curtis and the rest, that's a decent cast.
Old 05-06-15, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by writer106
Article on the pilots NBC has picked up

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/nbc-chicago...884498990.html

Chicago Med wasn't a surprise. The only that sounds interesting is Blindspot
I liked Chicago Med when it was called ER.
Old 05-06-15, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Scream Queens sounds good.

More interested in what's going to be new on FX/FXX and AMC.
Old 05-06-15, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

CBS and WB really want Supergirl to succeed. The ratings won't even need to be that good for renewal.