Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Americans (S3E07) - "Walter Taffet" - 3/11/15

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-15, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts
Re: The Americans (S3E07) - "Walter Taffet" - 3/11/15

I just watched the episode and was completely lost in the end. -in particular, from the editing I wasn't even sure if Elizabeth shot the girl (or it was someone else out of frame) and if so, why she shot her. I was feeling like a dumbass and was just coming here to see if I could get a clue. I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one. Thanks for clearing things up, though.
Old 03-15-15, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I though i had a general idea on the south Africa story, and after reading the reddit synopsis, discovered i had no clue.

i was surprised to find out Beck and Michael Cera had a child and he was now old enough to play Stan's son.

martha is not long for this earth, and i am sure the FBI figures her "dying" right when a bug is found is no coinkydink. what does she have around that can lead them to philip? any wedding pictures in the apartment, "my secret husband is an illegal and all i got was this lousy t-shirt" gear, maybe a spare wig in the breadbox.

they come at her using some racial justice angle, i think they can turn the Paige.
Old 03-15-15, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 979 Likes on 690 Posts

I'm surprised at all of the confusion about this episode. I'm not saying I could have written that synopsis from reddit, but after reading it I realized that I actually understood the situation pretty well. The tricky part is that the show only gives up bits and pieces of the background info spread over multiple episodes and usually it's presented in a manner that doesn't scream info-dump/exposition.

The one thing I didn't really get about that synopsis was the idea of Paige's burgeoning conservatism. By conservatism, do they mean her middle class suburban lifestyle? I don't think it means her church, because if anything her church has steered her towards the ideas of social justice, etc.
Old 03-15-15, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't pick up on all the South African stuff when I first watched the episode. But after I read that synopsis and watched the episode again, I didn't think the subplot was that cryptic.

I was assuming that the conservatism refers to her church. Is her church really that liberal? They seem to be very big on anti-nuclear activism, but I don't think that makes them bleeding heart pinko hippies.
Old 03-15-15, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the gist of the South Africa stuff but that synopsis certainly did a better job of laying it all out than the show did.
Old 03-15-15, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
I didn't pick up on all the South African stuff when I first watched the episode. But after I read that synopsis and watched the episode again, I didn't think the subplot was that cryptic.
I think to really get the South Africa stuff the first time through, they are counting on the audience already being familiar with the situation in that country at the time. If you're old enough to remember that era, like me, and were paying attention to South Africa, like I kind of was, you have a bit of a leg up when it comes to following this plot-line.

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
Is her church really that liberal? They seem to be very big on anti-nuclear activism, but I don't think that makes them bleeding heart pinko hippies.
Back in 1983 it did. The general assumption among Cold War hawks was that the anti-nuke movement was a communist plot run straight from Moscow.

Last edited by aintnosin; 03-17-15 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-15-15, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

You have to remember that almost all American nukes were pointed at Soviet Russia during the Cold War. It was believed USSR agents had been sent to infiltrate America and foment anti-nuclear activism for that purpose.
Old 03-16-15, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Getting dangerously close to dropping this one.