Reload this Page >

The Walking Dead (S5E10) -- "Them" -- 2/15/15

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-15-15, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Life on the road has left the group beaten and beleaguered. Will they be able to trudge along? Are they even the same people they once were?
Episode 10 of 16
Old 02-15-15, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (S5E10) -- "Them" -- 2/15/15

I wonder will they only be able to see dead people if they wear special glasses.
Old 02-15-15, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Darryl's here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And he's all out of bubblegum
Old 02-15-15, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just got all giddy at the end of Rick's speech!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7u0wg3t6osM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-15-15, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Very good episode tonight.
Old 02-15-15, 10:36 PM

Am I the only one that thought this was one of the worst episodes of the series? I wanted to shoot a few of the characters myself!
Old 02-15-15, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sq240 View Post
Am I the only one that thought this was one of the worst episodes of the series? I wanted to shoot a few of the characters myself!
Yeah, nothing much happened.

They're looking for water, find some but won't drink it.
They ate a dog. (Felt kind of sorry for Glenn during that scene.)
Daryl burned himself with a cigarette and fixed a jewelry box.
Big zombie attack that turned out to be a dream.
Old 02-15-15, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't think the attack was a dream.
Old 02-15-15, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Well, it wasn't THE worst but I can see where it will get its share of hate.

In all actuality, I think it may have been a damned good episode. However, by this point I just don't have enough emotional investment in any of the characters to care when the show runners finally get off their asses and provide us with the character development we should be getting every week.

The hopelessness of the group really shined through in this episode ... But their motivations are still questionable. All this time and they still haven't figured out to survive beyond scavenging for relics of the world that was. I just find it hard to believe they cannot find food or water with all the lush vegetation around them. It may not be canned green beans and Spam, but edible plants can provide both sustenance and hydration (and wildlife).

Sasha was the only character I cared to like this week. Guess they are going to kill her off soon.

Did they seriously almost steal the zombie tornado from Z-Nation!?

Father Gabriel makes a point of burning his clerical collar ... But then he has it on when they are blockading the door. I thought it was going to turn out to be dream (and the collar added to that) because ...

Why would the zombies be attacking the barn? Everybody was asleep, so they weren't making noise to attract them. Even if they were loud enough, the storm surely would have drowned the noise out. Please don't try to tell me the zombies were seeking shelter. (EDITED TO ADD: No, it wasn't a dream. EDITED A SECOND TIME: watched it again ... The zombies just gave up and everybody snuggled down for a nap without reinforcing the door? I guess Daryl was on watch on the other side of the barn? WTF?)

Loved that Daryl kept going off on his own to sneak a smoke.

Re: water bottles in the road -- So Eugene really is the only smart one in the group. You are standing around in a tight circle like fish in a barrel, but you believe the water is poisoned.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 02-15-15 at 11:59 PM.
Old 02-15-15, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Darryl's here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And he's all out of bubblegum
Good thing he has cigarettes to help him break that bubblegum habit.
Old 02-15-15, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I enjoyed it.
Old 02-16-15, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by auto View Post
Don't think the attack was a dream.
correct, a tornado swept by approx 12 feet from the barn that took down gigantic trees which crushed the zombies. barn was fine.
Old 02-16-15, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pretty boring episode as far as TWD was concerned. But it was cool to see Aaron show up.
Old 02-16-15, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I get that they've lost a few people recently and the whole DC thing turned out to be a sham, but what exactly is different about right now compared to what they've been through before? Everyone's lost family and friends; they've settled down and had to constantly defended themselves; they've wandered with and without purpose. I think it's been almost two years now since the outbreak so it's nothing new for them and I just question the decision to air an episode like this now. Most of it just felt like filler I guess.

I think maybe the bigger issue I had was the collective depression of the group felt forced. And no one more so than Maggie. Her mourning for Beth just didn't ring true for me at all. She never worried about her sister before when she was missing and I know people have said that isn't an issue, but it's a huge one. She never had a problem writing messages to Glenn but never once gave her sister a second thought, never once asked if anyone knew about Beth or left a message for Beth. Honestly, I was hoping that she'd have opened up the trunk again and been bit. Her character is totally useless at this point and has been for quite some time. Darryl sells the depression for Beth way better than Maggie since he's the only character that ever really seemed to care to find her in the first place.

I did enjoy Sasha this episode though and her reaction to Tyreese's death felt authentic, especially given her having lost Bob so recently too. I definitely enjoyed this episode more than last week's though, although that's not saying much. When I heard Rick's speech I couldn't help but think of Arrested Development when Ron Howard narrating said, "Hey, that's the name of the show!"

Seemed ridiculous that the entire group huddled around the water bottles with their backs to the woods and questioned whether or not it was a trap.

While the storm causing the trees to fall and kill all the walkers was a bit too convenient for my tastes, I did like the powerful imagery of the group banding together to brace the door with the flashes of lightning. Thought the way everyone came together without words was very effective. As someone who has been through a strong Category 4 Hurricane it might interest others to know that what happened to the group during the storm is totally possible. During the hurricane I went through I watched as several trees at least 30 feet tall just happened to fall away from my house even though they easily could've fallen the opposite way and crushed my home. Just luck of the draw I guess.

Darryl really didn't seem to mind eating the dog meat though

I have to say that Father Gabriel is just one more character portrayed by Seth Gilliam that I've grown to hate. It's nothing against the actor (or maybe it is?), but he just ends up playing some of the most annoying characters on TV and Father Gabriel is no exception; I hated Clayton Hughes on Oz and Ellis Carver on The Wire.
Old 02-16-15, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Isn't it bad for Abraham to get cut with a knife that had just gone through a zombie head?

Last edited by windom; 02-16-15 at 01:23 AM.
Old 02-16-15, 01:51 AM

Those trees weren't simply knocked down by the thunderstorm. A tornado went through (you could see the path), narrowly missing the barn. Which is also plausible. I've personally seen tornado damage in some neighborhoods, and it's crazy how one house can be demolished, but a neighboring house is essentially untouched.
Old 02-16-15, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by windom View Post
Isn't it bad for Abraham to get cut with a knife that had just gone through a zombie head?
Yeah, I thought that might come back later in the episode, but I'm pretty sure stuff like that has happened before... Not to mention people with open cuts/wounds constantly exposing themselves to zombie blood every time they brain one of them.
Old 02-16-15, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

This episode just shows that god will provide for you if you really need it in a time of a zombie situation.
Old 02-16-15, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Walking Dead : Welcome to the ZZZombie Apocalypse
Old 02-16-15, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wait, what happened to Rosita's short shorts?
Old 02-16-15, 06:31 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

awful, useless, tedious episode.
Old 02-16-15, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sq240 View Post
I am a Walking Dead defender from my friends who bitch about every episode to me, but this had to be the worst episode. I don't mind the character development episodes where there isn't much action, but this had no character development. All we got out of this episode is everyone is tired, and Maggie and Darryl are having a hard time dealing with Beth's death, and Sasha is having a hard time dealing with Tyrese's death.

How about some character arc by the end of the episode for the 3 characters? How about something???

I have always said that the best season was Season 2 because it only had 13 episodes, as once they went to 16 episodes you have more of a chance of an episode like this where its just pure filler.
Old 02-16-15, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it was a good episode. I appreciated how the group stood by at the bridge/overpass and simply pushed the zombies over the edge. I thought that was a good touch and in keeping with their weakened condition. "work smarter, not harder"

Maybe I'm reading a bit into things, but I thought Maggie's sorrow over Beth's death was aggravated by guilt over writing her off thinking that she was already dead.

I was puzzled by Daryl's reaction though. Did he and Beth really bond that closely during that one night that they spent holed-up in the cabin?
Old 02-16-15, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
I thought it was a good episode. I appreciated how the group stood by at the bridge/overpass and simply pushed the zombies over the edge. I thought that was a good touch and in keeping with their weakened condition. "work smarter, not harder"

Maybe I'm reading a bit into things, but I thought Maggie's sorrow over Beth's death was aggravated by guilt over writing her off thinking that she was already dead.
At the bolded: Nope you are not she even went so far as to "say" it in the episode. Some people just need to pay attention when they watch this show and maybe they would enjoy it more or just quit.

I knew this episode would raise the ire of the regular complainers...
Old 02-16-15, 10:00 AM

Abraham, Gabriel, Noah and now Aaron. I guess this group is really on an Oceanic flight.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.