Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Americans (S3E03) - "Open House" - 2/11/15

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-15, 09:13 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts
The Americans (S3E03) - "Open House" - 2/11/15

Episode 3 / Production #303 - "Open House" (Airs February 11, 10:00 pm e/p) - Danger mounts for Elizabeth and Philip as they get closer to the inner circle of the C.I.A. Afghan Group. Stan monitors Zinaida. Agent Aderholt challenges Agent Gaad on a crucial operation. Arkady tasks Oleg and Tatiana with gathering high-level intel. Martha proposes a lifestyle change to Clark. Written by Stuart Zicherman; directed by Thomas Schlamme.
Old 02-12-15, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: The Americans (S3E03) - "Open House" - 2/11/15

I was sort of hoping they weren't going to drag the "Should we bring in Paige" storyline out, but it seems like they are. It seems like they are really starting to zero in on Elizabeth, and it seemed like something may be starting to gnaw at Stan, esp. after he told that other agent how it fit in undercover. That said, there hasn't been much interaction between him & Philip/Elizabeth. Are they even still neighbors?
Old 02-12-15, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Philip and Stan spent a lot of time together in the first episode. Remember that this is only the third episode. And after the injuries Elizabeth suffered, I'm sure they don't want to be near Stan, since the FBI, and all the agencies are looking for a woman with that kind of injuries.

That dentist scene was hard to watch.

My wife listens to one of the Grantland's podcasts and she said that they are fan of the show. And they mentioned that this episode was going to be the best, of season? series?, not sure. So my wife was excited. As soon as I saw Elizabeth naked I told my wife, there, that's why this is the best episode.
Old 02-12-15, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

2 episodes in a row where I had to cover my eyes.
Old 02-12-15, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

This was a very tense episode, despite the knowledge it would be very hard to continue this series in the same manner if Philip or Elizabeth were actually caught. Was Elizabeth training a new spy in that teacher? They glossed over his introduction.
Old 02-12-15, 08:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Yeah, had to wonder if they were snickering after seeing last week's script and said, "Let's make the audience think they're over the bad stuff & then hit 'em again." The tooth breaking off on first go was very realistic (and added to the agony for Elizabeth and the audience). They've been setting that scene up since the first ep. this season.

Loved the trapped look in her eyes...that's the same look I see in the dentist's mirror while I'm white-knuckling the seat.

Did I miss where they explained why the Soviets don't have medical people who can be called in (or whom they can see surreptitiously off the books)? They can call in all sorts of other help (walkie talkies, car rammings)...looks like they could have sleeper doctors & dentists for emergencies...or just for routine stuff so as to avoid leaving records that could be used to identify them.
Old 02-13-15, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
2 episodes in a row where I had to hit mute. I thought the sound was even more cringeworthy than the visuals.
Old 02-13-15, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Holy crap that dentist scene was harrowing, right out of marathon man..

Strong start to the season, really enjoyed the chase scene, would like to see more of thee cat and mouse in the street scenes...
Old 02-13-15, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
Holy crap that dentist scene was harrowing, right out of marathon man..

Strong start to the season, really enjoyed the chase scene, would like to see more of thee cat and mouse in the street scenes...
Yeah, that was a really great chase scene to watch. The dentist scene not so much, it's weird I wasn't really bothered by the "lets stick a corpse into the suitcase" scene of a week ago. But this dentist scene, I had to turn away because it just made me feel uncomfortable.

When did Elizabeth start recruiting that College professor/grad student? Did it start this season or did that plot line actually start in Season 2 or Season 1?

I did get a nice laugh out of Paige finding out that Henry has a crush on Stan's wife.
Old 02-14-15, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Did I miss where they explained why the Soviets don't have medical people who can be called in (or whom they can see surreptitiously off the books)? They can call in all sorts of other help (walkie talkies, car rammings)...looks like they could have sleeper doctors & dentists for emergencies...or just for routine stuff so as to avoid leaving records that could be used to identify them.
If you did then I missed it too. Of course if they did have a KGB dentist on call, then we wouldn't seen Philip playing dentist.
Old 02-15-15, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,191 Likes on 4,218 Posts

Alternatively, couldn't they drive to Boston or Philly to see a dentist there? I doubt the FBI is checking every dentist on the Eastern seaboard. That dental extraction was hard to watch. Overall a rather Stygian episode.

Keri Russel's backside rates
Old 02-19-15, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Just caught up to last week's episode and knew there would be conversation about the tooth-pulling scene following the previous week's suitcase scene.

Originally Posted by Decker
Alternatively, couldn't they drive to Boston or Philly to see a dentist there? I doubt the FBI is checking every dentist on the Eastern seaboard. That dental extraction was hard to watch. Overall a rather Stygian episode.
I was thinking the same thing--go out of town.

And I don't know if you can use "Stygian" because it's a proper noun.

Originally Posted by Decker
Keri Russel's backside rates
I knew we were going to get something when she was wearing the towel.