The Blacklist (S2E10) -- New Night -- "Luther Braxton: Conclusion" -- 2/5/15

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-15, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
The Blacklist (S2E10) -- New Night -- "Luther Braxton: Conclusion" -- 2/5/15

"THE BLACKLIST"

"LUTHER BRAXTON: CONCLUSION"

02/05/2015 (09:00PM - 10:00PM) (Thursday) : As chaos ensues at the Factory leaving the fate of Red (James Spader) and the task force unknown, FBI boss Cooper (Harry Lennix) struggles to rescue his team from the detention facility. Meanwhile, it's a race against time to stop Luther Braxton (guest star Ron Perlman) from attaining confidential information. Megan Boone, Diego Klattenhoff, Amir Arison and Mozhan Marno also star. David Strathairn and Janel Maloney guest star. TV-14 L, V

Episode 10 of 22

New Night. Remember Part 1 aired Super Bowl Sunday if you still haven't seen it yet.

Also, the show was renewed for a 3rd season today by NBC.
Old 02-05-15, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts
Re: The Blacklist (S2E10) -- New Night -- "Luther Braxton: Conclusion" -- 2/5/15

Strange episode.

Almost like a partial minisode version of "Altered States".
Old 02-06-15, 08:07 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Re: The Blacklist (S2E10) -- New Night -- "Luther Braxton: Conclusion" -- 2/5/15

It almost needed to be a three part ep. I got lost.
Old 02-06-15, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It lost my attention part way thru. I came back to the end with Braxton hanging from the chandelier. I'm still not sure what the fulcrum is that was pulled from the rabbit. Or if that is the fulcrum.
Old 02-06-15, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by barelypure
I'm still not sure what the fulcrum is that was pulled from the rabbit. Or if that is the fulcrum.
The Fulcrum is thought to be damning evidence on the cabal that Reddington has been at odds with the entire series. Apparently not even the cabal is aware of what the evidence exactly is, since as Red states in this ep "only someone who has The Fulcrum can say how exposed you are."
Old 02-06-15, 09:15 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by barelypure
It lost my attention part way thru. I came back to the end with Braxton hanging from the chandelier. I'm still not sure what the fulcrum is that was pulled from the rabbit. Or if that is the fulcrum.
I think it's a NOC list of sorts and was waiting for Ethan Hunt to drop from the ceiling and steal it.

I still love this show, it's just that this episode wasn't the best.
Old 02-07-15, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even though I expected it, it still was ridiculous how they let it all play out and still be teasing is Red, or is Red not, the father. They have played the same game far better in other episodes. Would have been cool to have that resolved and have what is fulcrum be the new lasting mystery.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 02-07-15 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-07-15, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts

I enjoyed part 1 more than the conclusion, mainly due to the non-resolution of the mystery yet again.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they drag it out until the final season as far as their actual relationship goes. Naturally, they opened the door yet again with Red "possibly" being the father. It sounds crazy that during the 90s someone has the capability to completely scramble the memory of a traumatic event in a 4-year-old kid's head, but I guess we just have to see where they go with it..
Old 02-07-15, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

This episode didn't work and what we seem to have gotten is a dream from Liz that may or may not be true. I think the showrunners realize the mystery of her connection to Red is keeping a lot of viewers interested and they may tune out if it gets solved. What they need to do is solve that mystery to open up a deeper mystery and pivot the show in another direction.

The X-Files got in the same quagmire when Carter refused to definitively answer mysteries involving the main characters. That series had enough going on to sustain it for five excellent seasons. I don't think The Blacklist has the same depth.
Old 02-09-15, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Out of curiosity, what was going on with Harold Cooper and his wife at the end of the episode? I was a bit distracted during the last few minutes, and I'm feeling as though I missed something.
Old 02-09-15, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

If her memories were suppressed it's pretty clear it wasn't Red who did it. She was very little, so even if nothing was done to her it wouldn't be surprising if she didn't remember. I have no memories of when I was 4 or 5.

I think Lizzie's conclusion, that Red has no real feelings for her, is erroneous.

How would Red even know about the argument over The Fulcrum, let alone that Lizzie had witnessed it? Why does Red believe that argument included statements over its whereabouts?
Old 02-10-15, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Large plot hole....if the Fulcrum contains incriminating stuff about people and the like...it is 25 years year old or so and probably about middle aged people who are mostly dead
Old 02-10-15, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by invisiblegt
Out of curiosity, what was going on with Harold Cooper and his wife at the end of the episode? I was a bit distracted during the last few minutes, and I'm feeling as though I missed something.
They were visiting a doctor and getting bad news. Cooper had a phone call about some test results earlier in the episode. It's unclear if the doctor visit is in regards to himself or his wife.

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Large plot hole....if the Fulcrum contains incriminating stuff about people and the like...it is 25 years year old or so and probably about middle aged people who are mostly dead
Alan Alda's character was one of the ones implicated in The Fulcrum, and he's 79, which would've made his character 54 at the time of the fire. Likewise, David Strathairn is 66, which would've made his character 41. So 25 years isn't a long enough time to have killed off everyone that may have been implicated in The Fulcrum.
Old 02-10-15, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Very meh episode. I couldn't get passed the first two minutes with nobody dying after multiple missile strikes.
Old 02-10-15, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Very meh episode. I couldn't get passed the first two minutes with nobody dying after multiple missile strikes.
Lots of people died, just nobody we cared about.

The missile strikes did seem ridiculous. I know they wanted a good cliffhanger for part one, but my impression was that the missiles were going to obliterate the prison, not just damage it. It was clearly a case of underkill.
Old 02-10-15, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Yeah, they seemed to rush through this episode, especially with how Luther was caught/them getting to Liz. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they don't drag things out, but they had a whole episode of setup and it feels like they resolved all that in half an episode.

Liz had crazy eyes at the end there, I was half thinking she remembered something or had some kind of split personality, but it's probably nothing. I thought it was a huge copout to have that flashback/memory take up so much of the episode, then have the doctor say that all that may be a lie or out of order or different anyway.

And what if she lost the rabbit???