Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Big Bang Theory (S8E13) - "The Anxiety Optimization" - 1/29/15

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-15, 04:05 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
The Big Bang Theory (S8E13) - "The Anxiety Optimization" - 1/29/15

SHELDON WORRIES HIS COMFORTABLE LIFESTYLE IS PREVENTING HIM FROM ACHIEVING SCIENTIFIC PROGRESS, SO HE ASKS HIS FRIENDS TO MAKE HIM MISERABLE, ON "THE BIG BANG THEORY," THURSDAY, JAN. 29

"The Anxiety Optimization" - In the hopes of achieving a scientific breakthrough, Sheldon invites his friends to challenge him. Meanwhile, Wolowitz invents an embarrassing game about Raj, on THE BIG BANG THEORY, Thursday, Jan. 29 (8:00-8:31, ET/PT), on the CBS Television Network.
Old 01-29-15, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 332 Likes on 175 Posts
Re: The Big Bang Theory (S8E13) - "The Anxiety Optimization" - 1/29/15

More enjoyable than the last new show.
Old 02-01-15, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not great. Guess by the lack of discussion, this is a show that people have given up on or catch up on when they get a chance.
Old 02-01-15, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Yeah this one didn't do much for me. Not awful but just really forgettable. Sheldon acting over the top crazy has run its course to me and the b story wasn't strong enough to make up for it.
Old 02-01-15, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I liked the "Emily or Cinnamon" game. The stuff with Sheldon didn't do anything for me.
Old 02-01-15, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People are probably just tired of going on about Penny's hair. Episode was OK. I imagine when, or if they ever air another great episode it will generate more comments.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 02-01-15 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-01-15, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
People probably just tired of going on about Penny's hair. Episode was OK. I imagine when, and if they ever air another great episode it generate more comments.
People keep saying this. While I did find her hair somewhat distracting at first and don't care for it to me that doesn't change the fact that to me the overall quality has taken a pretty big dip this season. It isn't just me or even people online saying it either. My parents and people I work with have said the same and they aren't the types to frequent message boards or whatever. Not saying the group of people I know represents everyone but I'm sure a lot of people are noticing the show just isn't that great this year.
Old 02-01-15, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Maybe it's just me, but it feels like everyone's just phoning it in this season. From the actors to the writers. Like they've basically just run out of ideas and are just throwing out some very minor story lines (ie. Cinnamon or Emily game) and are repeating ideas (ie. Sheldon needing to be irritated to help with his work is similar to him needing less distractions with his friends to help his work).
It kind of feels like the actors are getting tired of doing this while still enjoying their nice paychecks.

I can't believe there's 2 more seasons of this.
Old 02-01-15, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not a great animal lover, I've taken a lot of flak from my friends when I scoff at the affection they show their dogs when they consider them part of the family and refer to them by nicknames. Their affection and love for them is obviously genuine, so I suppose I'm not in a position to judge. I guess it just varies from person to person. Though frankly, Raj is a little creepy about it. I thought for sure the aerobics bit was a setup for some sort of joke about bad loud sex.

I can see my friends calling me "the Virgin piña colada." Though I don't want to give them ideas.

I'm a big enough Godzilla fan that I immediately recognized his roar. I wonder what that says about my life.

Poor Amy. Horny and mistreated as usual. Fuck, the talking armadillo was terrifying. That game that they play about Raj does sound like the kind of ribbing friends would do among each other. It was cool that he brought Emily to show them up. Sheldon's uncomfortable conversation with the girls about his assumptions about what they discuss did genuinely play like someone who had serious social issues, and for once it didn't seem to be laughing at him for it. Obligatory gratuitous shot of Penny in skimpy clothes. Bernadette hasn't been used much lately, though she was fun here in small does. Overall, pretty solid episode, even he physical comedy was pretty effective and cast's rapport remains pretty tight now that they've been doing their thing so long. Nice to have my comfort food show back.

My friend's sister is an obsessive Taylor Swift fan. I hear her often enough. Glad they didn't play her.

I'm kind of surprised they didn't do a big "losing your virginity" flashback episode, especially since this show has bucked the "nerds don't get laid" padigram from the beginning. They've flirted with the idea (no pun intended) with Howard, but maybe they're saving it for a big episode where Sheldon and Amy book up and everyone reminisces. Kind of doubt it though. Maybe Amy and Sheldon go away together for a weekend, and someone, possibly Howard asks what the odds are that Amy and Sheldon have sex during the trip. This leads to each major character talking about his or her first time. Sounds sitcom-y to me .

Originally Posted by Coral
I can't believe there's 2 more seasons of this.
At least.
Old 02-02-15, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coral
Maybe it's just me, but it feels like everyone's just phoning it in this season. From the actors to the writers. Like they've basically just run out of ideas and are just throwing out some very minor story lines (ie. Cinnamon or Emily game) and are repeating ideas (ie. Sheldon needing to be irritated to help with his work is similar to him needing less distractions with his friends to help his work).
It kind of feels like the actors are getting tired of doing this while still enjoying their nice paychecks.
I agree. I said it in one of the threads from earlier this season but the show just seems to be coasting along this year. I think it really is about at the point where it could be wrapped up but since it's the number one network show it was obviously going to get renewed and so rather than progressing the characters and their storylines we're treated to more of the same old same old.
Old 02-02-15, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not too many shows actually get BETTER during season 8.
Old 02-02-15, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by madcougar
Not too many shows actually get BETTER during season 8.
No one ever said that. Just that its clear the series is kind of reaching for ideas this year. It just feels played out and like the main stories could be wrapped up and the series could end soon and it would be okay. Really there's only a couple things that need to happen to give viewers some satisfaction if you ask me (Leonard and Penny getting married, Sheldon and Amy hooking up).
Old 02-02-15, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Ratings seem like they're down slightly compared to last season, although it's still ridiculously popular. Seems like there's a slight lull, but honestly as far as this forum is concerned there always seemed to be as many haters as there were fans of the show, plus a drop in activity anyway.
Old 02-02-15, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Ratings seem like they're down slightly compared to last season, although it's still ridiculously popular. Seems like there's a slight lull, but honestly as far as this forum is concerned there always seemed to be as many haters as there were fans of the show, plus a drop in activity anyway.
Thing is though people who were enjoying the show previously (in this thread and other threads this season plus people I know) are saying that its gone downhill. I don't think its just a case of haters putting the show down. I've enjoyed the show pretty much all the way up to this season, but this year it just isn't doing it for me.
Old 02-02-15, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mike86
Thing is though people who were enjoying the show previously (in this thread and other threads this season plus people I know) are saying that its gone downhill. I don't think its just a case of haters putting the show down. I've enjoyed the show pretty much all the way up to this season, but this year it just isn't doing it for me.
I'm simply saying that discussion of the show has never been particularly big here.
Old 02-02-15, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I liked the "Emily or Cinnamon" game. The stuff with Sheldon didn't do anything for me.
This. The show is just stagnant now. They really need to risk a shark jump by having one of the women get pregnant.
Old 02-02-15, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think the writers blew it giving Penny the pharmaceutical gig. That plot has gone nowhere and has added nothing to the show. The only thing it's done is given Kaley a more professional wardrobe to go with her Pixie cut.

I've been preaching it for years but give Penny an acting gig where she becomes some cult, b-movie/sci-fi actress ala Johnny Drama. It feeds into what the gang is into and would open up the show to some cool guest stars and set visits by the nerds. They could easily bring Wheaton on full time in some capacity as a co-star (or writer/director/producer) of the fictional show. It opens it up to going to cons, dealing with Penny being nerd famous and being the apple of many-a nerd's eye.

They could easily pull this off. Just bring back the Serial Apeist plot. Just ape (pun intended) from Entourage again and say that despite never getting a release it made it's way around Hollywood and caught the eye of a casting agent or director. Boom. She's an actress again.

Or hell if that is too far into the 'famous' spectrum(i.e. too much change), give her a starring role in a video game where she gets the same nerd notoriety.
Old 02-02-15, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That's a great idea. It's weird that after dragging it out for as long as they did, they basically just dropped the actress thing altogether.
Old 02-02-15, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'd just like to say that Corvin's new avatar is throwing me off.
Old 02-03-15, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Me too. I keep scrolling past my posts.
Old 02-03-15, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
That's a great idea. It's weird that after dragging it out for as long as they did, they basically just dropped the actress thing altogether.
Yeah it didn't really make a lot of sense if you ask me. It was like they tried to shake things up with her character, but ultimately its just been kind of a strange choice and hasn't done much for her character. I just find it odd that after all that time building her up to wanting to be an actress over seven seasons that storyline was dropped very suddenly and there's been no mention from the character of having any desire to try again.

Last edited by Mike86; 02-03-15 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-03-15, 11:41 AM

I read Nathan Fillion (sp) will be doing a cameo - think they'll do something good with that?
Old 02-03-15, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by SmithsGuy
I read Nathan Fillion (sp) will be doing a cameo - think they'll do something good with that?
not really, no.
Old 02-03-15, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think the cameos have all been pretty good in the past.
Old 02-03-15, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Newhart takes the guest star cake. That rerun was on last night. Genius performance.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.