Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

DC's Legends of Tomorrow (Arrow/Flash Spinoff to Star Routh, Lotz & Others)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

DC's Legends of Tomorrow (Arrow/Flash Spinoff to Star Routh, Lotz & Others)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-16, 01:20 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Re: DC's Legends of Tomorrow (Arrow/Flash Spinoff to Star Routh, Lotz & Others)

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Apparently they shot a scene where he transmuted some stuff but had to cut it for time.
Probably never see it now. I read a lot of Firestorm as a kid, and as I understood it, his "combustible" flaming hair look was more for decoration than anything else. Yes, he could combust things, but only in the sense that it was part of his transmutation powers.
Old 01-13-16, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Probably never see it now. I read a lot of Firestorm as a kid, and as I understood it, his "combustible" flaming hair look was more for decoration than anything else. Yes, he could combust things, but only in the sense that it was part of his transmutation powers.
Kind of surprised it didn't wind up on the Blu.
Old 01-14-16, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Jonah Hex coming to the show with option to return: http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/408...o-dc-s-legends

Great News. Jonah Hex is one of my Favorite DC Characters.
Love the cartoon short they did a few years ago with Thomas Jane as the voice of Hex.
Jane might make a good live-action Hex.
Old 01-14-16, 11:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the 30 second character centric promos especially Captain Cold ("I just don't care... ")
Old 01-14-16, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by will travel
Great News. Jonah Hex is one of my Favorite DC Characters.
Love the cartoon short they did a few years ago with Thomas Jane as the voice of Hex.
Jane might make a good live-action Hex.
He was campaigning for the movie part, even had a friend create some make-up FX for a picture.

Old 01-14-16, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

This is getting heavy advertising exposure on other channels. I've seen promos ranging from MTV to Spike.
Old 01-18-16, 10:33 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Old 01-18-16, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Do we need a LoT special? I thought that's what we've spent the first half of this season setting up on the Flash and Arrow.
Old 01-18-16, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Do we need a LoT special? I thought that's what we've spent the first half of this season setting up on the Flash and Arrow.
Having not watched either series but looking to jump into LoT, I've set my DVR for the special in hopes it brings me up to speed.
Old 01-18-16, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Having not watched either series but looking to jump into LoT, I've set my DVR for the special in hopes it brings me up to speed.
So you're the one.

You're probably much better off catching up on the other two series before watching this one. Trust me, as somebody that tried to watch the Flash without being caught up on the previous seasons of Arrow. They will not be able to cover it all in ~20 minutes.
Old 01-18-16, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

On the other hand, it seems ridiculous to expect potential new viewers to watch 110 hours of TV to watch a new show.

I jumped into The Flash without having seen an episode of Arrow and I think it worked fine.
Old 01-18-16, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
On the other hand, it seems ridiculous to expect potential new viewers to watch 110 hours of TV to watch a new show.

I jumped into The Flash without having seen an episode of Arrow and I think it worked fine.
What about the crossover episodes though? The Flash/Arrow have had a few crossovers already and they said to expect crossovers with this and those shows as well.

Do those episodes cause some confusion for characters you've never seen?

But I agree, it's unfair to expect potentially new viewers for this to have seen all 4 seasons of Arrow and both seasons of The Flash prior to seeing this. The writers/producers of Legends of Tomorrow have to make some elements stand alone. That would be limiting your audience drastically.
Old 01-18-16, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Bingo. I have 2 little kids. I get about 1 hour of "me" TV time a night. I can start a new show here and there but cannot play catch-up right now.
Old 01-18-16, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
So you're the one.

But seriously, why skip the other two shows and jump into this one? Seems odd to me for some reason. I only stuck with Arrow for about 1.5 seasons but it was enough to get a handle on the characters for crossovers, references and whatnot.

So what's the over/under on how many episodes of LoT before Felicity shows up?
Old 01-18-16, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Generally I think the fear of heavy continuity is overblown. These are not shows that usually pivot on subtle plot points. At most a viewer unaware of Flash or Arrow will miss some of the in-jokes between the characters on LOT.

I jumped into Buffy the Vampire Slayer at season five and didn't feel like I was missing much at the time.
Old 01-18-16, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I did the same, I have to completely 100% disagree. Sure, if you're willing to be at least partially clueless every time they reference each other, then it will work at some level. But they purposely tied the two shows together far more than just the official cross over episodes.

Between Flash S1 and Flash S2 we were able to catch up on Arrow making S2 of the Flash a much more enjoyable experience. It was also incredible just how much more of Flash S1 made sense having seen the necessary episodes of Arrow.

Sadly for those new to the 3 shows, I expect this to continue such that they want to the 3 shows to exist as one larger world. Which translates to watch all 3 or be basically screwed at some level.
Old 01-18-16, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I definitely watch the Arrow episodes that crossover, but other than that I just don't care. Maybe I'm a little lost on Oliver Queen's maybe son or when Oliver and Felicity started dating, but I get that there's some relationship drama and the context works well enough to get me through.

But seriously, why skip the other two shows and jump into this one? Seems odd to me for some reason. I only stuck with Arrow for about 1.5 seasons but it was enough to get a handle on the characters for crossovers, references and whatnot.

So what's the over/under on how many episodes of LoT before Felicity shows up?
Maybe someone is an Atom or Hawkman fan and is excited that their favorite hero will be center stage in a new TV show. Similarly, way more people see The Avengers movies than see the Thor movies. People like the idea of seeing a lot of heroes together, it's the same reason the JLA comic book sells more copies than The Flash.
Old 01-18-16, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I guess that's true. I guess I'm just jaded because the Flash is so excellent, I expect everyone to be watching. Arrow on the other hand is tedious and can see people skipping over that one.
Old 01-18-16, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess that's true. I guess I'm just jaded because the Flash is so excellent, I expect everyone to be watching. Arrow on the other hand is tedious and can see people skipping over that one.
Hard to know which characters are going to get the most screen time long term, but I suspect it will be Canary and Atom. Both are from Arrow meaning potentially more background needed from Arrow rather than Flash.
Old 01-19-16, 02:36 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Legends of Tomorrow has found its Jonah Hex.

The Hollywood Reporter has learned that Johnathon Schaech has been cast in The CW's upcoming superhero team-up series as the Western antihero. The popular DC Comics character is slated to appear in the Old West-set episode 11, with the possibility to recur beyond that.
Old 01-19-16, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He's a great choice for Jonah Hex. I'll give it to the CW, their executives are infinitely better at appropriately casting roles than some other networks. I'd take their casting choices any day of the week over Warner's theatrical division. They do like recycling lead actors but that has more to do with the financial realities of being the lowest-rated broadcast network.
Old 01-19-16, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I watched the special with my kiddos. Not bad. I don't let them watch Arrow, so it was kinda nice getting them up to speed on some of the Arrow side of things.
Old 01-19-16, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Batman v Superman preview with the Suicide Squad trailer was great entertainment for being a marketing promo. I think it even included footage from Wonder Woman's solo movie.
Old 01-20-16, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

The Legends of Tomorrow special was pretty decent. It was essentially a 22 minute EPK, but I think it gave a good rundown on the show.

They interviewed the entire creative team of the show: Guggenheim, Berlanti, Kreisberg and Phil Klemmer, who's the showrunner. Looking forward to Thursday night.
Old 01-20-16, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The Batman v Superman preview with the Suicide Squad trailer was great entertainment for being a marketing promo. I think it even included footage from Wonder Woman's solo movie.
I wonder who was given the task of telling Smith to leave the orange hockey jersey at home. He's a decent looking dude when he's not wearing that hideous jersey.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.