Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Hallmark Channel's Countdown to Christmas

Mingle all the way, good fun agree it’s been the best hallmark so far
Shoe addict was not great, but watchable for CBB
Old 12-08-18, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 940 Likes on 794 Posts

Once Upon A Christmas Miracle is a great new Hallmark movie. Supposedly based off a true story. It's about a young woman that needs a liver transplant.
Old 12-08-18, 04:42 PM

Received 559 Likes on 395 Posts

Vudu sale coming soon. Probably on Tuesday.

https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/...ntent/CM/29809
Old 12-09-18, 03:11 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

https://www.wsj.com/articles/this-se...ies-1543514650

This Season’s Guilty Pleasure: Binge-Watching Hallmark Christmas Movies

Super fans keep track with spreadsheets, stay up all night to watch; ‘Romance at Reindeer Lodge’
Spoiler:

November 29, 2018

Every weekend around this time of year, the living-room TV in Tim Gates’s Pittsburgh home is tuned to the Hallmark Channel. His wife and teenage daughter watch the network’s original Christmas movies all day long.

Mr. Gates usually sits down and teases them about the movies, which feature predictable plotlines and tropes. “Next thing I know, I’m sucked in for a half-hour, 45 minutes,” he says.

A few weeks ago, after the Steelers game ended, he watched “Romance at Reindeer Lodge”—by himself. “Nobody else was around,” says Mr. Gates, 45 years old, a regional vice president of a staffing firm. Then, while traveling for work, he fell asleep in his hotel room to “Switched for Christmas.”

Mr. Gates isn’t ashamed to admit it: He is starting to like them.

Seasoned fans go a few steps further. They find Hallmark Christmas movies to be amazing, best watched in bulk and worth staying up all night for. Some say a steady routine of Hallmark Christmas movies is part of self-care, a bit like meditation.

Crown Media Family Networks, a subsidiary of the greeting-card maker, is the company behind more than 150 original Christmas movies that have run on its Hallmark-branded channels over the past decade. There are 22 new ones airing on the main Hallmark channel this year—they started Oct. 27—and another 15 new ones on Hallmark Movies and Mysteries. Together with past years’ movies, they run practically round-the-clock, 10 to 12 a day. Some fans have found the best way to keep track of what they’ve watched is with a spreadsheet.

“I am often asked, when will Hallmark hit a ceiling on how many Christmas movies it produces every year?” said Michelle Vicary, the company’s executive vice president, programming and publicity, in an email. “So far, we are not there. There are viewers who tell us that Hallmark holiday on TV is something they wait for all year long.”

Devoted watchers acknowledge that similar events unfold in each movie: Inclement weather tends to strand people in idyllic towns with names like Evergreen. There tends to be a scene where the characters bake Christmas cookies. The town’s Christmas festival tends to be a do-or-die event that stresses out the planners.

In the end, the two leads fall in love while relishing in the spirit of Christmas—at least the more secular parts. And it always snows, even when the stories are set in North Carolina or Tennessee.

Repetitive? More like reliable, says Camille Culbreath, 26, a flight attendant from Boston who watched five Hallmark Christmas movies one recent Saturday.

“I sat on my couch. I made breakfast, and then I made lunch, and the next thing I know it’s dinner time,” she says.

Ms. Culbreath started out much like Mr. Gates, making fun of her mom’s love of Hallmark movies, until about five years ago, when she “just got invested,” she says. She realized she actually likes cheesy, romantic stories about a big-city girl who goes to the country and finds a fiancé.

“I was, like, wait, that’s me,” she says. “I’m a big-city girl. I want to go to the country. I want to find an innkeeper to call my husband and we celebrate Christmas.”

Ms. Culbreath, who is biracial, says she notices the lack of diversity in Hallmark movies. “I always joke there’s one black person in the whole movie,” she says. “Either there’s one black lady or black guy who is in it who has a big role, or there’s one or two in the background that you don’t really pay attention to.”

The network recognized the need for more diversity and inclusion in its original movies and has created new partnerships to do so, company officials say. One result is “Christmas Everlasting,” which debuted last Saturday night and starred Tatyana Ali (“The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air”), Dennis Haysbert (“24”) and singer Patti LaBelle.

Aly McGuire and her roommate, Rachel Rompala, both 19, say they discovered their shared love for Hallmark Christmas movies one night during their freshman year at Iowa State University. “I don’t think we stopped until 3:30 or 4 a.m., and we basically tried to do that as much as possible,” says Ms. McGuire.

This year, the pair made a spreadsheet to document the movies they had watched and to rate them. There are 11 different categories that affect the movies’ ratings, including: Does the movie make you want to cry, or throw up, or both? Several categories are reserved for evaluating male leads.

“We rate them based on their Christmas spirit, can he pull off a sweater, and his romanticness,” says Ms. Rompala. “We haven’t made a spreadsheet for the women yet.”

Their favorite so far has been “A Gift to Remember.” Former “The Young and the Restless” regular Peter Porte stars as a man who loses his memory after a collision with a bookstore worker—with whom he later falls in love.

“We rated that one off the charts,” says Ms. McGuire. “Our scale is 1 to 10, and I rated it a 16 out of 10, and Rachel rated it a 15 out of 10.”

Adriana Allegri, 52, a freelance writer from Chandler, Ariz., says she has been watching Hallmark Christmas movies for about 10 years, but things have really accelerated in the last two years. She has been waking up five mornings a week at 3 a.m. and watching Hallmark movies for two hours while she exercises. She has many saved on her DVR.

The movies take her back to a simpler time, and help her decompress when the news feels like too much. “It’s definitely escapist,” she says. “I can’t say that they’re high drama or they’re fantastic pieces of film.”

What happens after New Year’s Day when the Christmas movies no longer air regularly? Hallmark has plenty of other original films.

“Once Christmas is over, there’s going to be the Valentine’s ones, so that’ll be great,” she says. “I tend to do them year round.”
Old 12-09-18, 03:24 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Saturday Night Live:

Old 12-09-18, 08:24 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 708 Likes on 472 Posts

I love me the frequent Hallmark/Lifetime cheese, but I watched the exact opposite of one of these films and it was wonderful. Christmas, Again is a 2014 film currently on Fandor and Prime. It’s about a downtrodden Christmas tree salesman and how his various interactions bring a dash of hope. But it doesn’t force the happiness or really stress the story, it’s just sort of shows his life, warts and all, without ramming in a theme or message or resolution. Best viewing of the month, although The Christmas Chronicles was a hoot.

Edit to add: Oops, wrong thread I guess, but I’ll leave it.
Old 12-09-18, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 330 Likes on 270 Posts

I am really enjoying this years batch of Holiday films from Lifetime, Netflix, UP, ION, and Hallmark. It feels like a stronger batch than years past with some really charming films such as the one I just watched on Hallmark called Time for Me To Come Home for Christmas.

ETA: I just watched the SNL skit which was so funny and so dead on but I stand by my love of these schmaltzy films. Also, Prince Santa...I bet someone at Hallmark is kicking themselves that they did not think of this first.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 12-09-18 at 11:15 PM.
Old 12-10-18, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Once Upon A Christmas Miracle is a great new Hallmark movie. Supposedly based off a true story. It's about a young woman that needs a liver transplant.
Just watched this one with my daughter based on your recommendation, it was excellent! Enjoyed it a lot!

Started the Lori Laughlin one, but it wasn't doing it for me...
Old 12-10-18, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,160 Likes on 951 Posts

Pride and Prejudice and Mistletoe was fine--I couldn't identify that many connections to the novel other than some names, so they kind of click-baited me into watching it. Well, that and Lacey Chabert.

I saw an older one, Lucky Christmas, that was probably the worst one I've ever seen. For one thing, it had Elizabeth Berkeley, who will never be a good enough actress to wash away the stink of Showgirls. For another, it had a really morally questionable plot point of stolen property that the male lead's sidekick didn't want to give back. It was a 99-cent Amazon purchase, but if I could bluelightspecial it out of my collection, I would.

Nine Lives of Christmas was pretty good.
Old 12-10-18, 03:39 PM

The movies are loaded and the prices should drop at Midnight PST:

https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/...ristmas-Sale/3

Here's the full Christmas sale:

https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/...adquarters/118
Old 12-10-18, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nutcracker Christmas is on the sale list!

Interesting that there's at least one 2018 title on the list, Christmas at Graceland.
Old 12-10-18, 07:32 PM

I've got a couple extra 20% Off Vudu coupons from the UnderTheCap promo. If anybody wants one for the Christmas sale, drop me a PM.

I'm not sure about the expiration date, but I think they're still good. It's limited to 5 coupons per person, so make sure you're not already maxed out.
Old 12-10-18, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Agree that Mingle All the Way has been the best so far. I don't think I've seen Jen Lilley in one of these before.

The Emily Osment one with the generic title of Christmas in Wonderland was fine.
Old 12-10-18, 07:48 PM

I really liked that one. I've seen it twice already.

This year, I've been watching Hallmark Movies & Mysteries more than the regular Hallmark Channel. The HMM movies are less fluff and more dramatic. They have better characters and storylines.
Old 12-11-18, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by davidh777
Agree that Mingle All the Way has been the best so far. I don't think I've seen Jen Lilley in one of these before.

The Emily Osment one with the generic title of Christmas in Wonderland was fine.
Jen Lilley has done a few holiday movies before. She's a semi-regular lead that has a winter love movie coming up in January.

A Bramble House Christmas from last year is real enjoyable. The always reliable Autumn Reeser is the star.
Old 12-11-18, 06:14 AM

Lousy prices on the Hallmark Sale. I would have bought all of them at $4.99. But I'm not paying $7.99.
Old 12-11-18, 05:34 PM
mk1

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Lousy prices on the Hallmark Sale. I would have bought all of them at $4.99. But I'm not paying $7.99.
Agree. Would have spent more had the prices been better. Disappointed.
Old 12-12-18, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, I didn't buy any of the $7.99 titles. Fortunately Nutcracker Christmas was $4.99, maybe because it's two years old, so I did get that one. Maybe there'll be a mix and match $9.99 deal later. Plus I had a $2 code, though I thought I also had a 20% one that seems to have disappeared, so that was a little annoying.

Time for Me to Come Home was good, and Last Vermont was fine. My checklist has 2/21 comedies and 5/16 dramas.
Old 12-13-18, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
Just watched this one with my daughter based on your recommendation, it was excellent! Enjoyed it a lot!
Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I really liked that one. I've seen it twice already.

This year, I've been watching Hallmark Movies & Mysteries more than the regular Hallmark Channel. The HMM movies are less fluff and more dramatic. They have better characters and storylines.
Once Upon a Christmas Miracle was great. Now my favorite of this year's crop so far.

Jen Lilley has done a few holiday movies before. She's a semi-regular lead that has a winter love movie coming up in January.
Not sure why I haven't run across her before, but I just watched a Lifetime movie with her, The Spirt of Christmas, a seasonal spin on the classic "woman meets and gets it on with hot ghost" theme. Fine but nothing special.

Last edited by davidh777; 12-13-18 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-15-18, 02:40 PM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 551 Likes on 380 Posts

Not sure anyone here saw this tweet:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 12-15-18, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I caught an older one that was fairly decent, A Christmas Kiss. A guy is on the verge of engagement with his girlfriend, when he accidentally kisses her assistant in an elevator. Of course, the assistant is a much better match for the guy than his actual girlfriend. The girlfriend hates living Christmas trees.
Old 12-16-18, 02:28 PM

I was watching the new Lori Loughlin movie Homegrown Christmas. I thought the teenage girl looked familiar. She played the hotel clerk in Lori Loughlin's previous movie Every Christmas Has A Story. Turns out the girl (Isabella Giannulli) is Lori's real life daughter.
Old 12-16-18, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you investigate the casts of these Hallmark movies, half of them are friends or relatives of the main stars.

I caught Country Christmas Album on ION, a new 2018 movie. I liked it since I always enjoy a music-themed Christmas movie, but the obstacle put in place of the potential romance is one of those non-problems that could be solved with two lines of dialogue. I'm not a big fan when a relationship is delayed over silly roadblocks that could be solved in one scene.
Old 12-17-18, 11:03 PM
mk1

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Vudu is going to have a year end sale. 511 titles will be $4.99. Two Hallmark title are included in the sale - Love on a Limb and Love by Chance.

Not sure when this sale will go live. Could be tomorrow or Friday.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.