Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Girlfriends' Guide to Divorce (Bravo) -- S: Lisa Edelstein -- Series Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-14, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Girlfriends' Guide to Divorce (Bravo) -- S: Lisa Edelstein -- Series Thread

Bravo's first original scripted series, Girlfriends' Guide to Divorce, follows Abby McCarthy (Lisa Edelstein, House), a self-help book author and guru of all things family, who shocks the world when she reveals that her seemingly perfect life has all been a lie. After publicly admitting that she has separated from her husband, Jake (Paul Adelstein, Private Practice), America's once-favorite girlfriend finds her career and marriage in a free fall. As she starts to navigate life as a single woman in her 40s, Abby turns to her new divorced friends, rather than her married ones, for advice. Her friend Lyla (Janeane Garofalo, Reality Bites) is a legendary no-nonsense entertainment lawyer who is in a constant "War of the Roses" battle with her ex-husband, and Phoebe (Beau Garrett, Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior) is a former model and budding entrepreneur who has a very unique relationship with her ex. When she hires Delia (Necar Zadegan, Emily Owens, MD) as her divorce attorney, Abby's brother Max (Patrick Heusinger, Royal Pains), who fought hard for the right to marry, questions his sister on how she can so easily decide to walk away from her own marriage.

Abby is on a journey of self-discovery as she attempts to salvage her career, get back in the dating game and figure out her new identity as a single woman. As she hits the reset button on her life, she embarks on startling adventures and mishaps along the way, including her first post-marriage hook-up, a blog post gone horribly wrong, and a Vegas trip that leads to some unexpected complications. And, while in the process of trying and failing to have the "perfect divorce," Abby ultimately questions whether her marriage is worth saving.

The series also stars J. August Richards (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.), C. Thomas Howell (The Outsiders), Julianna Guill (Crazy, Stupid, Love), Michael Weaver (The Joe Schmo Show) and Charles Mesure (Desperate Housewives). The pilot also includes a cameo by Carrie Fisher as Abby’s book editor, Cat.

Inspired by the Girlfriends' Guide book series by Vicki Iovine, Girlfriends’ Guide to Divorce is produced by Universal Cable Productions with Marti Noxon, Vicki Iovine, Meryl Poster, Robert Duncan McNeill, and Liz Kruger and Craig Shapiro serving as Executive Producers.

13 episode 1st season

Premieres tonight on Bravo. It's their 1st scripted series. Loved Lisa Edelstein on House. Giving this a try. Probably won't appeal to many here, but maybe some will give it a look.

FYI, the creator and Showrunner is Marti Noxon, who worked on Angel and Buffy. She also wrote and produced for Mad Men.
Old 12-02-14, 11:03 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce (Bravo) -- S: Lisa Edelstein -- Series Thread

It looks intriguing. I can relate to the whole "get back in the dating game and figure out [my] new identity as a single []man" thing.

I forgot to set my DVR, so I'll catch a rerun or catch it online.

I find it interesting that Jeanine Garofalo is identified as being from Reality Bites. Of all her credits, that's the one they chose to highlight?
Old 12-02-14, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JasonF
It looks intriguing. I can relate to the whole "get back in the dating game and figure out [my] new identity as a single []man" thing.

I forgot to set my DVR, so I'll catch a rerun or catch it online.

I find it interesting that Jeanine Garofalo is identified as being from Reality Bites. Of all her credits, that's the one they chose to highlight?
There are 5 more re-airs before episode 2, you'll easily catch one.
Old 12-03-14, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

read a good review on this, will check it out

thanks for posting!
Old 12-05-14, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk God

I really liked it. I thought it was funny and sexy even though this show is really geared towards an older female audience.

I think this was the perfect role for Lisa Edelstein post-House. She was funny and had good chemistry with Garofalo and Garrett as her girlfriends. I liked the kiss with her girlfriend too. I found that really awkward sex scene with her and Warren Christie pretty hot as well. But, no way that dude is 28. That was ridiculous. But, Lisa looks really good undressed. We didn't get a chance to see that side of her acting on House.

"You're the first woman I've been with who's had children." Paul Adelstein was good playing her douche bag ex. The gay brother was probably the weakest character.

The drama and comedy blended well together. I'm glad a mature actress like Edelstein is getting a chance to have a lead role. There isn't too many for someone pushing 50. I agree with most of AV Club's review. They actually gave it an A-

Last edited by DJariya; 12-05-14 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-24-15, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk God

FYI

For the few who might be watching. Tonight is the season finale.

The show was renewed for a 2nd season in case you missed it.

Anyways, I like this show a lot. Some really good actors in this, including Ms. Edelstein and good chemistry and interplay between the ladies.

I fell behind on this, but binged watch the last 6-7 episodes all last night.

Something interesting to point out. Janeane Gaofalo was a series regular when the show premiered. She quit the show after 7 episodes. The Producers replaced her with Alanna Ubach. It was a very abrupt & awkward change.

I like that Edelstein's character has a new boyfriend, but unfortunately the actor who plays him ,Warren Christie, just signed on to Chicago Fire so he's probably leaving the show as well.

This show also takes place in Los Angeles, but I just realized seeing on the end credits that it's actually shot in Vancouver.

The character that I do find to be an idiot is Phoebe, who is played by Beau Garrett. The character is the definition of air head. I'm guessing the character may have had some kind of lesbian relationship in the past as revealed in the latest episode that she isn't proud of.
Old 02-25-15, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm really enjoying this show too, but I think her friends are the weakest part of the show. I like the main character and all her subplots but I can't stand the blond, the new lawyer or the new redhead. Somehow the show still works though.
Old 02-25-15, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

It was a surprisingly enjoyable show. A little too L.A. and Hollywood centric maybe but the characters mostly clicked. The writing was also tight for 13 episodes, I hadn't realized that Janeane Garofalo's departure was unplanned.

I did like the show more when the ex-boyfriend was dating that young TV star, her conflict with Lisa's character was the best running storyline for a while.
Old 12-01-15, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk God

FYI
Season 2 premieres tonight on Bravo

Not expecting much or any talk about it here, but I really enjoyed season 1 last year. Edelstein was great as the lead. Some pretty funny dysfunctional relationships.
Old 01-11-17, 06:50 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Re: Girlfriends' Guide to Divorce (Bravo) -- S: Lisa Edelstein -- Series Thread

Season 3 starts on Bravo tonight, 1/11/17. It was renewed through the 2017-18 season (the show's seven-episode third season, followed by six-episode fourth and fifth seasons) on 4/13/16.
Old 01-11-17, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk God

The 19 episode renewal spread out over 3 seasons is probably the most ridiculous thing a TV network has ever done.

For those who don't know, it's 19 and done. Supposedly Marti Noxon, the head writer and showrunner, wants to move on to other things and she agreed to shoot these final episodes as a wrap up.

I have a few episodes from season 2 to finish off Netflix before I can watch season 3. I fell way behind last season. But, I really liked the 1st season and didn't want to drop it.
Old 01-13-17, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

It's Bravo, a network mostly known for trashy reality fare. This series was a dip in the waters of scripted content for them. This is likely their last scripted series.

The show itself went from a dramedy to primetime soap fairly quickly.
Old 06-14-18, 07:10 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

The Girlfriends' get ready to say their final goodbye as Bravo Media's first original scripted series "Girlfriends' Guide to Divorce," from Universal Cable Productions (UCP), returns on Thursday, June 14 at 10 pm ET/PT for its fifth and final season. Created and executive produced by Marti Noxon, the series follows the close knit friendship of Abby McCarthy (Lisa Edelstein), Phoebe (Beau Garrett), Jo (Alanna Ubach), Delia (Necar Zadegan) and Barbara (Retta) as the ladies embrace the next chapter of their lives and strive to define their own ever after. This season on "Girlfriends' Guide to Divorce," as Abby and the girlfriends each move forward in their lives, they are constantly reminded of their past and ever-intertwined lives with their exes. With Lady Parts finally on stable ground, Abby looks to take her relationship with Mike (James Lesure) to the next level by blending their families, but receives some hesitation from his ex and hers. Barbara allows a not-so-innocent flirtation with a surprising former flame to jeopardize her future with Darrell (Malcolm-Jamal Warner). Phoebe's life is flipped upside down when her estranged brother Tony (Steve Talley) knocks on her door and she must decide whether to let him back in. She also dips her toe back in the dating game and finds herself unexpectedly drawn to an enigmatic new acquaintance. After taking the pregnancy test, Delia evaluates her relationship with Paul (Ignacio Serrichio) and comes to an unexpected conclusion. Meanwhile, Jo finds that mixing business with pleasure comes with its own side of pros and cons. But the return of Jo's ex Frumpkis (Maury Sterling) from rehab ultimately tests the strength of her relationship with Albert (Brian Markinson). As the girlfriends each face the future and all of its unknowns, they lean on one another as they pave their own path to happily ever after.